SHELL in Mail Merge code

Alex McMurchy Alex McMurchy

SHELL in Mail Merge code

This Mail Merge code

>     const bool bMT_EMAIL   = rMergeDescriptor.nMergeType ==
> DBMGR_MERGE_EMAIL;
>     const bool bMT_SHELL   = rMergeDescriptor.nMergeType ==
> DBMGR_MERGE_SHELL;
>     const bool bMT_PRINTER = rMergeDescriptor.nMergeType ==
> DBMGR_MERGE_PRINTER;
>     const bool bMT_FILE    = rMergeDescriptor.nMergeType ==
> DBMGR_MERGE_FILE;

appears in sw/source/uibase/dbui/dbmgr.cxx

I'm mostly familiar with the EMAIL, PRINTER and FILE and when and how to
test/use them.

What I'm not familiar is SHELL. What is it in respect of Mail Merge and
under what circumstances would I use if and how?

Regards

Alex

Jan-Marek Glogowski Jan-Marek Glogowski

Re: SHELL in Mail Merge code

Hi Alex,

Am 22.11.2016 um 09:45 schrieb Alex McMurchy:

> This Mail Merge code
>
>>     const bool bMT_EMAIL   = rMergeDescriptor.nMergeType ==
>> DBMGR_MERGE_EMAIL;
>>     const bool bMT_SHELL   = rMergeDescriptor.nMergeType ==
>> DBMGR_MERGE_SHELL;
>>     const bool bMT_PRINTER = rMergeDescriptor.nMergeType ==
>> DBMGR_MERGE_PRINTER;
>>     const bool bMT_FILE    = rMergeDescriptor.nMergeType ==
>> DBMGR_MERGE_FILE;
>
> appears in sw/source/uibase/dbui/dbmgr.cxx
>
> I'm mostly familiar with the EMAIL, PRINTER and FILE and when and how to
> test/use them.
>
> What I'm not familiar is SHELL. What is it in respect of Mail Merge and
> under what circumstances would I use if and how?

This is used LO internally or via UNO to directly display a single
merged FILE document (the document shell) used by the wizard or plugins,
like WollMux.

So instead of writing the merged file and open it, mail merge returns a
reference to the generated document. This helps a lot with large
documents, because we don't have to open the document to display it to
the user.

> Regards

Jan-Marek