[SOLVED]"This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
emarkay emarkay
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[SOLVED]"This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

This post was updated on .
OK, it's a Firefox and CA Cert issue, and the best answer seems to be:

 "Known problem related to the free cert used.  For some reason browsers do not accept the cert which leads to the report."

However the workaround: "(you can also use regular http if you don't want to trust an untrusted
certificate :-)) " still gives the aforementioned warning error.

I am not paranoid about a bogus script and/or a buggy browser, or the politics and all that, but someone needs to stand up and fix this.

Either remove the "https", get a "real" certificate, post a workaround, or at least have a  "We know ... ignore ...  you are safe..." pre-page, or something.

Not off to a good start for those lesser aware noobs, now aren't we, IMHO?

MRK



LO version as updated via PPA - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3) - (1) 2.8 G/2G RAM/ATI HD2600,512VRAM/SIS AC97 OB Audio (2) 2.9 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel HD Audio
Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a 'real' SSL
certificate for our domain?
I would be willing to contribute some money directly towards fixing this issue.


On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM, emarkay <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> OK, it's a Firefox and CA Cert issue, and the best answer seems to be:
>
>  "Known problem related to the free cert used.  For some reason browsers do
> not accept the cert which leads to the report."
>
> However the workaround: "(you can also use regular http if you don't want to
> trust an untrusted
> certificate :-)) " still gives the aforementioned warning error.
>
> I am not paranoid about a bogus script and/or a buggy browser, or the
> politics and all that, but someone needs to stand up and fix this.
>
> Either remove the "https", get a "real" certificate, post a workaround, or
> at least have a  "We know ... ignore ...  you are safe..." pre-page, or
> something.
>
> Not off to a good start for those lesser aware noobs, now aren't we, IMHO?
>
> MRK
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/This-Connection-is-Untrusted-I-know-I-know-but-tp2420227p2420227.html
> Sent from the Website mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> --
> Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
> *** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
>
>

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

In reply to this post by emarkay
Hi *,

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 2:23 AM, emarkay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> OK, it's a Firefox and CA Cert issue, and the best answer seems to be:

Well, the certificate used currently is not from CA Cert

> However the workaround: "(you can also use regular http if you don't want to
> trust an untrusted
> certificate :-)) " still gives the aforementioned warning error.

Yes, because now ssl is enforced for working on the cms part of the
site. No regular visitor has to use https though.

> Either remove the "https", get a "real" certificate, post a workaround, or
> at least have a  "We know ... ignore ...  you are safe..." pre-page, or
> something.

It is a real certificate.

ciao
Christian

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi *,
>
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 2:23 AM, emarkay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> OK, it's a Firefox and CA Cert issue, and the best answer seems to be:
>
> Well, the certificate used currently is not from CA Cert
>
>> However the workaround: "(you can also use regular http if you don't want to
>> trust an untrusted
>> certificate :-)) " still gives the aforementioned warning error.
>
> Yes, because now ssl is enforced for working on the cms part of the
> site. No regular visitor has to use https though.
>
>> Either remove the "https", get a "real" certificate, post a workaround, or
>> at least have a  "We know ... ignore ...  you are safe..." pre-page, or
>> something.
>
> It is a real certificate.

I am somewhat unsure why we encounter the security warning. If we do
purchase a certificate from CA Cert will this resolve the problem?

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

Hello,

Michael Wheatland wrote on 2011-02-04 08.09:
> I am somewhat unsure why we encounter the security warning. If we do
> purchase a certificate from CA Cert will this resolve the problem?

about which domain are you talking? TDF and LibO both have StartSSL
certificates, that are present in all recent versions of Safari, Firefox
and IE, at least.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Steering Committee and Founding Member of The Document Foundation
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
Skype: floeff | Twitter/Identi.ca: @floeff

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

In reply to this post by Wheatbix
On 2011-02-04 12:22 AM, Michael Wheatland wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a 'real' SSL
> certificate for our domain?
> I would be willing to contribute some money directly towards fixing this issue.

Why not just get a free one from StartSSL?

--

Best regards,

Charles

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

Hi Charles, *,

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Charles Marcus
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2011-02-04 12:22 AM, Michael Wheatland wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a 'real' SSL
>> certificate for our domain?
>> I would be willing to contribute some money directly towards fixing this issue.
>
> Why not just get a free one from StartSSL?

Why do people talk, but don't bother to actually check the
certificate, and read what was written already?

It /is/ already using one from StartSSL - it is a StartCom Class 2 certificate.

So please check your facts.

ciao
Christian

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Charles, *,
>
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Charles Marcus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2011-02-04 12:22 AM, Michael Wheatland wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a 'real' SSL
>>> certificate for our domain?
>>> I would be willing to contribute some money directly towards fixing this issue.
>>
>> Why not just get a free one from StartSSL?
>
> Why do people talk, but don't bother to actually check the
> certificate, and read what was written already?
>
> It /is/ already using one from StartSSL - it is a StartCom Class 2 certificate.
>
> So please check your facts.
>
> ciao
> Christian


If this is the case, why would users still be encountering the error?
Is it a certificate configuration problem?

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
emarkay emarkay
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

Just a bit more info - can someone look at the site in another browser - Chrome, IE (ugh) or Opera and see if it flags the Cert?
An idea, if it appears OK there, then export the Cert from there and import it into FF as as a test to see if it is now accepting it.  I don't know the legitimacy of that, but it may add some clues.

I have also heard of mismatched URLs (redirects) on the site; the exact URL or doesn't match what was submitted for the Cert, or the URL is redirected "below" the server's URL.

FWIW, I am using FF 3.6.13 with NoScript and a few other similar plug-ins, no proxy, with  an updated Ubuntu Lucid and my system time and date are correct.
LO version as updated via PPA - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3) - (1) 2.8 G/2G RAM/ATI HD2600,512VRAM/SIS AC97 OB Audio (2) 2.9 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel HD Audio
Charles Marcus Charles Marcus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

In reply to this post by Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
On 2/4/2011 6:08 PM, Christian Lohmaier wrote:

> Hi Charles, *,
>
> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Charles Marcus
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> On 2011-02-04 12:22 AM, Michael Wheatland wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a 'real' SSL
>>> certificate for our domain?
>>> I would be willing to contribute some money directly towards fixing this issue.
>>
>> Why not just get a free one from StartSSL?
>
> Why do people talk, but don't bother to actually check the
> certificate, and read what was written already?
>
> It /is/ already using one from StartSSL - it is a StartCom Class 2 certificate.
>
> So please check your facts.

Some of the people on this list whop apparently represent TDF and LibO
seem to have real attitude problems sometimes.

I didn't make any claim, so have no facts to che3ck. Someone complained
about *one* of the sites using an SSL cert that gave the 'untrusted'
warning that self-signed certs give, someone else asked about buying
one, and I merely pointed out a free option.

So, Christian, please refrain from criticizing someone when it is not
only unnecessary but uncalled for.

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

Hi Charles,

Am 05.02.2011 17:53, schrieb Charles Marcus:

> Some of the people on this list whop apparently represent TDF and
> LibO seem to have real attitude problems sometimes.
>
> I didn't make any claim, so have no facts to che3ck. Someone
> complained about *one* of the sites using an SSL cert that gave the
> 'untrusted' warning that self-signed certs give, someone else asked
> about buying one, and I merely pointed out a free option.
>
> So, Christian, please refrain from criticizing someone when it is
> not only unnecessary but uncalled for.

You are misunderstanding the context. Please read the thread, before
posting to it. Please consider the rules for quoting on mailing lists.

Thank you.

Stefan


--
LibreOffice - Die Freiheit nehm' ich mir!

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Charles Marcus Charles Marcus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

On 2/5/2011 11:58 AM, Stefan Weigel wrote:
>> So, Christian, please refrain from criticizing someone when it is
>> not only unnecessary but uncalled for.

> You are misunderstanding the context. Please read the thread, before
> posting to it. Please consider the rules for quoting on mailing lists.

And yet another unnecessary and uncalled for criticism.

No, Stefan, I am not misunderstanding anything. Christian quoted and
replied to *my* comment. I did read the thread - in fact I was a
participant, so maybe *you* should read threads before replying to them?

And thank you for the kind reminder about how to properly quote on
mailing lists, but I have been aware of and applying them for many many
years.

I do make mistakes sometimes - usually caused by someone *else's*
mis-attribution, but when I do, I am quick to apologize for it.


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

Hi Charles,

Am 05.02.2011 18:25, schrieb Charles Marcus:

> No, Stefan, I am not misunderstanding anything. Christian quoted and
> replied to *my* comment. I did read the thread

If so, why did you propose to get a certificate from StartSSL, just
after the main responsible person (Florian) stated in this thread,
that TDF and LibO both do have StartSSL certificates?

;-)

Stefan

--
LibreOffice - Die Freiheit nehm' ich mir!

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Charles Marcus Charles Marcus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

On 2/5/2011 1:10 PM, Stefan Weigel wrote:
> If so, why did you propose to get a certificate from StartSSL, just
> after the main responsible person (Florian) stated in this thread,
> that TDF and LibO both do have StartSSL certificates?

Because I read threads in received order, and the post I replied to came
before that one?

Also, the OP didn't state *which* site he had encountered, but
obviously, there was *something* wrong with the cert or he wouldn't have
posted, right?

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
Wheatbix Wheatbix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Charles Marcus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/5/2011 1:10 PM, Stefan Weigel wrote:
>>
>> If so, why did you propose to get a certificate from StartSSL, just
>> after the main responsible person (Florian) stated in this thread,
>> that TDF and LibO both do have StartSSL certificates?
>
> Because I read threads in received order, and the post I replied to came
> before that one?
>
> Also, the OP didn't state *which* site he had encountered, but obviously,
> there was *something* wrong with the cert or he wouldn't have posted, right?

I don't have experience with SSL certifiicates, so I don't know how to
troubleshoot.
Having a warning message that we are 'untrusted' on any of our
infrastructure is a major issue.

Can someone who has the knowledge and experience troubleshoot the
problem and inform the list as to what we have to do to avoid this
warning in ALL browsers.

Thanks,
Michael Wheatland

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***
emarkay emarkay
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

Oh, sorry, the basic URL in question is: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/

This issue is evidently a Firefox only issue, for various reasons as I have read elsewhere, but it is still a legit one, and again, for a "clueless noob" is inexcusable.

Of course there is a bug filed there that I just found (am awaiting confirmation of registration to add comment on this, as based on this thread):  https://bugs.freedesktop.org//show_bug.cgi?id=20250

Also and for reference only, (again not to divert this thread...) but here are some related/interesting posts elsewhere on OO/LO support that someone may want to  research and investigate as to if they belong in a centralized "support" message board.  I have NOT researched these, nor dug "down" to see if they may even be related or redundant, but am throwing these out as a "heads up":

http://cedric.bosdonnat.free.fr/wordpress/?p=727
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=34831
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic.phtml?p=398467&highlight=libre#398467
http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/users/threads.html
and
https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice - the Ubuntu site for Lucid and Maverick

Thanks to those that have "taken" OO and are attempting to make it what it should have been; and hopefully will be.
MRK
LO version as updated via PPA - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3) - (1) 2.8 G/2G RAM/ATI HD2600,512VRAM/SIS AC97 OB Audio (2) 2.9 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel HD Audio
Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

Hi,

emarkay wrote on 2011-02-06 04.29:
> Oh, sorry, the basic URL in question is:https://bugs.freedesktop.org/

*.documentfoundation.org and *.libreoffice.org have StartSSL
certificates that should work in all major browsers, including Firefox,
Internet Explorer, Safari and a few others.

*.freedesktop.org IMHO uses a CAcert Certificate. We, i.e. the TDF admin
team, do not administer *.freedesktop.org, so I unfortunately cannot
help with the certificate there. I know that requests have been sent to
their site admins, but I don't know if/when they will be reacted to.

Hope that helps a bit.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Steering Committee and Founding Member of The Document Foundation
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
Skype: floeff | Twitter/Identi.ca: @floeff

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

emarkay emarkay
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

Aha, yes, I should have known that FD was an independent source.
That pretty much answers all, and if I could, I'd mark this thread [SOLVED].
(Hey, I can , so I did.  :)  )

Thanks!
LO version as updated via PPA - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (& Windows XP-SP3) - (1) 2.8 G/2G RAM/ATI HD2600,512VRAM/SIS AC97 OB Audio (2) 2.9 G/3G RAM/NVIDIA 9500GT,1024VRAM/SB AudigySE Audio (3) 2.3 G/2G RAM/NVIDIA FX1500M,256VRAM/Sigmatel HD Audio
epix epix
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

In reply to this post by Florian Effenberger
Hi Flo, *

Am 06.02.2011 13:22, schrieb Florian Effenberger:

> *.documentfoundation.org and *.libreoffice.org have StartSSL
> certificates that should work in all major browsers, including Firefox,
> Internet Explorer, Safari and a few others.

Well, what I can see in whatever browser is the fact, that all saved
exceptions for *.libreoffice.org pages use the cert of
documentfoundation.org and not their own for libreoffice.org.

Same for libreofficebox.org although I can remember you offered us a
dedicated one some time ago...  ;-)

cheers
Erich



--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "This Connection is Untrusted..." (I know, I know, but...)

Hi,

Erich Christian wrote on 2011-02-07 01.23:
> Well, what I can see in whatever browser is the fact, that all saved
> exceptions for *.libreoffice.org pages use the cert of
> documentfoundation.org and not their own for libreoffice.org.

are you sure? I tested it on a freshly installed machine, and the right
certificate has been shown.

> Same for libreofficebox.org although I can remember you offered us a
> dedicated one some time ago...;-)

Yep, but we agreed that it's not necessary at the moment. :)

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Steering Committee and Founding Member of The Document Foundation
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
Skype: floeff | Twitter/Identi.ca: @floeff

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/www/website/
*** All posts to this list are publicly archived for eternity ***