SVG embedding in LibreOffice

Next » 123 « Prev
todd rme todd rme

Re: Re: Re: SVG embedding in LibreOffice

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Zak McKracken
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 08.06.2011, 22:41 Uhr, schrieb Tom Davies <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi :)
>> In OpenOffice and LibreOffice the Export to Pdf option allows you to
>> choose
>> "lossless" compression or change the percentage of jpg compression.
>
> Yes, but that applies only to raster graphics, not to vector formats. With
> EPS images, only the preview image will be dumped in the pdf.
> To summarize: The built-in pdf export preserves my raster graphics but kill
> EPS images (for me at least. Some people apparently have very hires preview
> images inther EPSs). printing it .ps file and using ps2pdf will preserve the
> EPS images and reduce the raster images.
> This behaviour has not changed since OOo 1.0

It is also an issue in impress, where there is no printing involved.
EPS images don't show up, SVG images tend to be horribly broken.

-Todd

Tom Tom

Re: Re: Re: SVG embedding in LibreOffice

________________________________
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 08.06.2011, 22:41 Uhr, schrieb Tom Davies <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi :)
>> In OpenOffice and LibreOffice the Export to Pdf option allows you to
>> choose
>> "lossless" compression or change the percentage of jpg compression.
>
> Yes, but that applies only to raster graphics, not to vector formats. With
> EPS images, only the preview image will be dumped in the pdf.
> To summarize: The built-in pdf export preserves my raster graphics but kill
> EPS images (for me at least. Some people apparently have very hires preview
> images inther EPSs). printing it .ps file and using ps2pdf will preserve the
> EPS images and reduce the raster images.
> This behaviour has not changed since OOo 1.0

It is also an issue in impress, where there is no printing involved.
EPS images don't show up, SVG images tend to be horribly broken.

Todd

Hi :)
Is this only  problem with 3.4.0?  I thought one of the remaining problems was
the non-vector images getting compressed so i was hoping to help you get around
that.  Sorry it didn't help.
Good luck and regards from

todd rme todd rme

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: todd rme <[hidden email]>
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Zak McKracken
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 08.06.2011, 22:41 Uhr, schrieb Tom Davies <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi :)
>>> In OpenOffice and LibreOffice the Export to Pdf option allows you to
>>> choose
>>> "lossless" compression or change the percentage of jpg compression.
>>
>> Yes, but that applies only to raster graphics, not to vector formats. With
>> EPS images, only the preview image will be dumped in the pdf.
>> To summarize: The built-in pdf export preserves my raster graphics but kill
>> EPS images (for me at least. Some people apparently have very hires preview
>> images inther EPSs). printing it .ps file and using ps2pdf will preserve the
>> EPS images and reduce the raster images.
>> This behaviour has not changed since OOo 1.0
>

> It is also an issue in impress, where there is no printing involved.
> EPS images don't show up, SVG images tend to be horribly broken.
>
> Todd
>

> Hi :)
> Is this only  problem with 3.4.0?  I thought one of the remaining problems was
> the non-vector images getting compressed so i was hoping to help you get around
> that.  Sorry it didn't help.
> Good luck and regards from
> Tom :)

I haven't tried 3.4, but the EPS images stopped working in 3.3 and SVG
images have never worked.  After dicussing the problem, I am not sure
how the EPS images ever worked, perhaps they had embedding that was
stripped somehow.  Of course, using the embedded raster image
completely defeats the purpose of using vector artwork in the first
place.

Most of the programs I use for vector artwork can produce EPS or SVG
files just fine, but being able to properly display some sort of
vector artwork in impress seems critical to me.  Differences in
projector resolution can seriously degrade the appearance of raster
artwork.

-Todd

Tom Tom

Re: Re: Re: SVG embedding in LibreOffice

________________________________
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: todd rme <[hidden email]>
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Zak McKracken
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Am 08.06.2011, 22:41 Uhr, schrieb Tom Davies <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi :)
>>> In OpenOffice and LibreOffice the Export to Pdf option allows you to
>>> choose
>>> "lossless" compression or change the percentage of jpg compression.
>>
>> Yes, but that applies only to raster graphics, not to vector formats. With
>> EPS images, only the preview image will be dumped in the pdf.
>> To summarize: The built-in pdf export preserves my raster graphics but kill
>> EPS images (for me at least. Some people apparently have very hires preview
>> images inther EPSs). printing it .ps file and using ps2pdf will preserve the
>> EPS images and reduce the raster images.
>> This behaviour has not changed since OOo 1.0
>

> It is also an issue in impress, where there is no printing involved.
> EPS images don't show up, SVG images tend to be horribly broken.
>
> Todd
>

> Hi :)
> Is this only  problem with 3.4.0?  I thought one of the remaining problems was
> the non-vector images getting compressed so i was hoping to help you get
around
> that.  Sorry it didn't help.
> Good luck and regards from
> Tom :)

I haven't tried 3.4, but the EPS images stopped working in 3.3 and SVG
images have never worked.  After dicussing the problem, I am not sure
how the EPS images ever worked, perhaps they had embedding that was
stripped somehow.  Of course, using the embedded raster image
completely defeats the purpose of using vector artwork in the first
place.

Most of the programs I use for vector artwork can produce EPS or SVG
files just fine, but being able to properly display some sort of
vector artwork in impress seems critical to me.  Differences in
projector resolution can seriously degrade the appearance of raster
artwork.

Todd

Hi :)
Have bug-reports been posted?  I think the issues are quite important to get
fixed.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
It's better to avoid the 3.4.0 at the moment unless you like bug-testing.

krackedpress krackedpress

On 06/09/2011 09:15 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> ________________________________

So should we still install the SVG Import extension?  Does it work
properly with LO 3.3.x and 3.4.x?
Or is that import filter really built into the package?

Nuno J. Silva Nuno J. Silva

On 2011-06-09, todd rme wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> From: todd rme <[hidden email]>
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Zak McKracken
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yes, but that applies only to raster graphics, not to vector formats. With
>>> EPS images, only the preview image will be dumped in the pdf.
>>> To summarize: The built-in pdf export preserves my raster graphics but kill
>>> EPS images (for me at least. Some people apparently have very hires preview
>>> images inther EPSs). printing it .ps file and using ps2pdf will preserve the
>>> EPS images and reduce the raster images.
>>> This behaviour has not changed since OOo 1.0

Export to PDF uses the raster previews. Best (and only?) solution for
now is really printing to postscript and converting.

PostScript and PDF are not easy to mix. Even with LaTeX you can't use
EPS when running pdflatex. (You have to convert EPS to PDF)

>> It is also an issue in impress, where there is no printing involved.
>> EPS images don't show up, SVG images tend to be horribly broken.
>>
>> Todd
>>

>> Hi :)
>> Is this only  problem with 3.4.0?  I thought one of the remaining problems was
>> the non-vector images getting compressed so i was hoping to help you get around
>> that.  Sorry it didn't help.
>> Good luck and regards from
>> Tom :)
>
> I haven't tried 3.4, but the EPS images stopped working in 3.3 and SVG
> images have never worked.  After dicussing the problem, I am not sure
> how the EPS images ever worked, perhaps they had embedding that was
> stripped somehow.  Of course, using the embedded raster image
> completely defeats the purpose of using vector artwork in the first
> place.

At least on older versions -- don't know if this still applies -- OOo
would generate a preview if the image had no raster preview, but as that
involved a funny bug involving endless calls to ImageMagick's convert
when the raster previews were too big to be cached, maybe that was
disabled.

A quick test with a random EPS I found shows me a preview raster, with

  LibreOffice 3.3.2
  OOO330m19 (Build:202)
  tag libreoffice-3.3.2.2

But I don't know if the image has a preview raster builtin.

> Most of the programs I use for vector artwork can produce EPS or SVG
> files just fine, but being able to properly display some sort of
> vector artwork in impress seems critical to me.  Differences in
> projector resolution can seriously degrade the appearance of raster
> artwork.

LibO also supports Windows MetaFile and Enhanced MetaFile. IIRC they
have some issues (or maybe the metafiles I was using were badly
converted). But you can try converting your EPS to EMF and see if the
result is good enough.

I've some notes around here saying it's done with pstoedit, with the
option to generate EMF.

The same notes mention running fixps, generating svg with pstoedit and
converting back to eps with inkscape -- this was probably a workaroud
for some postscript files that pstoedit didn't like.

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

Zak McKracken Zak McKracken

Re: Re: Re: Re: SVG embedding in LibreOffice

Am 09.06.2011, 15:15 Uhr, schrieb Tom Davies <[hidden email]>:

> Have bug-reports been posted?  I think the issues are quite important to
> get
> fixed.
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
> It's better to avoid the 3.4.0 at the moment unless you like bug-testing.

I'll gladly do bug-testing on the proper SVG feature I'm rooting for here.
I'm just not sure whether a feature that I want which LO does not have
classifies as "bug". With the issue tracker for OOo, there was a "feature"
type of issue. In Bugzilla, there does not seem to be such a category. Or
does anyone here know more?

Zak

NoOp NoOp

On 06/08/2011 03:29 PM, Zak McKracken wrote:
> Am 08.06.2011, 19:38 Uhr, schrieb NoOp...
>> Which version did you try? I've tried both:
>> http://download.openoffice.org/next/other.html#dev2
>> and
>> http://download.openoffice.org/all_beta.html
>> (linux Intel DEB)
>
> The latter one, 3.4 beta1. But I tested it only on Windows XP.

Just tried on WinXP & it does indeed work there. So their linux version
has issues. I'll add a note to the bug report.

>> and on both I get 'Graphics filter note found' when attempting to import
>> an SVG (Writer, Draw, Impress).
> Did you use "File -> import", or did you try "Insert -> image -> from
> file"? I'm talking about the latter one, since it is about using it as an
> image, not importing it as editable drawing.
The latter (Insert|Picture|From File).

steveedmonds steveedmonds

On 10/06/11 12:28 AM, todd rme wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Zak McKracken
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Am 08.06.2011, 22:41 Uhr, schrieb Tom Davies<[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi :)
>>> In OpenOffice and LibreOffice the Export to Pdf option allows you to
>>> choose
>>> "lossless" compression or change the percentage of jpg compression.
>> Yes, but that applies only to raster graphics, not to vector formats. With
>> EPS images, only the preview image will be dumped in the pdf.
>> To summarize: The built-in pdf export preserves my raster graphics but kill
>> EPS images (for me at least. Some people apparently have very hires preview
>> images inther EPSs). printing it .ps file and using ps2pdf will preserve the
>> EPS images and reduce the raster images.
>> This behaviour has not changed since OOo 1.0
>
> It is also an issue in impress, where there is no printing involved.
> EPS images don't show up, SVG images tend to be horribly broken.

Hi, just tried and on my mac, LO 3.4, eps images show the vector art in
Impress.
LO either passes the image off to the OS for display or mac code has EPS
display fixed.
steve

Nuno J. Silva Nuno J. Silva

On 2011-06-09, Steve Edmonds wrote:

> On 2011-06-09 11:35, Zak McKracken wrote:
>
>> Am 08.06.2011, 23:07 Uhr, schrieb Steve Edmonds
>> <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> OO and LO print EPS correctly for me to non-eps printers (my epson
>>> C87), printing the vector graphics cleanly. Mac and Linux, both use
>>> CUPS as the print engine. Are you printing from Linux, what printer
>>> driver are you using.
>>> steve
>>
>> Very strange, for me they definitely do not print correctly.
>> I'm printing from my Windows XP PC to a Canon iP5000, and all I get is
>> the same as in the PDF export, which is the eps preview image.
[...]
>> I'm very curious if you can
>> - print it directly from LO to a non-eps printer, and
>> - convert it to pdf
>> while getting the full verctor graphics goodness out of it.
[...]
> Hi. This might be a windows bug (just the way windows prints, and always
> has).

AFAIK, CUPS relies on ghostscript, a postscript interpretator, and it
seems LibO prints in postscript when using CUPS. While in windows
printing is done by GDI, which is different.

So while with CUPS priting always generates postscript, in windows it
only generates if the printer driver does the GDI->PostScript
translation.

Nuno J. Silva Nuno J. Silva

On 2011-06-09, Zak McKracken wrote:

> Am 09.06.2011, 15:15 Uhr, schrieb Tom Davies <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Have bug-reports been posted?  I think the issues are quite
>> important to get
>> fixed.
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
>> It's better to avoid the 3.4.0 at the moment unless you like bug-testing.
>
> I'll gladly do bug-testing on the proper SVG feature I'm rooting for here.
> I'm just not sure whether a feature that I want which LO does not have
> classifies as "bug". With the issue tracker for OOo, there was a
> "feature"  type of issue. In Bugzilla, there does not seem to be such
> a category. Or  does anyone here know more?

I guess you just need to pick:

   Severity: enhancement

(That is, IMHO a feature request is an enhancement.)

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

John B-2 John B-2

Feature request - area?

Is there an area where Feature Requests are posted?

John B

todd rme todd rme

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Yes, a bunch:
svg (LibreOffice Bugzilla): 36511, 36520, 37895, 37994, 34720, 36154,
36890, 37072, 31460, 33554, 32248
eps (OpenOffice.org Bugzilla): 12059, 117071, 93629, 84177, 24254
The discussion in the first eps bug I listed I took to basically be
saying that the developers were happy enough with the existing
functionality (rendering previews) so this bug was not going to be
fixed, so I never bothered making a new one in the LibreOffice
bugzilla.  Is there any point requesting support for native eps
rendering, or are the LibreOffice developers of the same opinion as
the one stated in this bug?

-Todd

randy janur randy janur

Re: Feature request - area?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM, John B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there an area where Feature Requests are posted?
>
> John B

dear john,
             try http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Crazy_Ideas
 -this is the closest i have seen to a feature requests page.

regards,
Randy janur

Manfred J. Krause Manfred J. Krause

Re: Feature request - area?

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 13:20, John B wrote:

> Is there an area where Feature Requests are posted?

For example:

(1) FreeDesktop Bugzilla
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?bug_severity=enhancement&product=LibreOffice&query_format=advanced&order=bug_id%20DESC&query_based_on=

(2) Vote for Enhancement
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Vote_for_Enhancement

(3) Development/Crazy Ideas
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Crazy_Ideas

mjk

--
TDF Planet
http://planet.documentfoundation.org/

Tom Tom

Re: Re: Re: SVG embedding in LibreOffice

________________________________
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would post again but to the LibreOffice bug-team this time.  OpenOffice had
different owners and had to deal with different constraints.  A high percentage
of devs in LibreOffice are new and the ones that aren't have finally been freed
to get on with stuff.

Tom Tom

Re: Feature request - area?

This guide might help?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

I think i would post as a normal bug but put "[wish-list]" at the start of the
subject-line (unless the guide has better advice!)

________________________________
Is there an area where Feature Requests are posted?

John B

-- Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
In case of problems unsubscribing, write to [hidden email]
todd rme todd rme

Re: Re: Re: SVG embedding in LibreOffice

>> Hi :)
>> Have bug-reports been posted?  I think the issues are quite important to get
>> fixed.
>
> Yes, a bunch:
> svg (LibreOffice Bugzilla): 36511, 36520, 37895, 37994, 34720, 36154,
> 36890, 37072, 31460, 33554, 32248
> eps (OpenOffice.org Bugzilla): 12059, 117071, 93629, 84177, 24254
> The discussion in the first eps bug I listed I took to basically be
> saying that the developers were happy enough with the existing
> functionality (rendering previews) so this bug was not going to be
> fixed, so I never bothered making a new one in the LibreOffice
> bugzilla.  Is there any point requesting support for native eps
> rendering, or are the LibreOffice developers of the same opinion as
> the one stated in this bug?
>
> Todd
>

> Hi :)
> I would post again but to the LibreOffice bug-team this time.  OpenOffice had
> different owners and had to deal with different constraints.  A high percentage
> of devs in LibreOffice are new and the ones that aren't have finally been freed
> to get on with stuff.
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Done: Bug 38161

So what is the decision on the svg embedding?  For me at lest SVG
support is even more important than EPS support.

-Todd

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Re: Re: SVG embedding in LibreOffice

Hi all,

todd rme wrote (10-06-11 18:05)

> So what is the decision on the svg embedding?

Sorry, I've not been able to keep up with this mail discussion. (Still
owe people from last weeks Monday /Tuesday a reply :-\ )

I had a look some days ago and got the impression that there were
differences between LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org . And maybe some more
things.
What I have been told, is that certain changes for OOO 3.4.0 rc, have
not been implemented in LibreOffice at the moment, but that it is the
intention to do that at a next minor release. So that would be 3.5.0

Maybe this explains part of the situation (or maybe it even already has
been written by someone ;-) )

  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org

Nuno J. Silva Nuno J. Silva

On 2011-06-10, Cor Nouws wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> todd rme wrote (10-06-11 18:05)
>
>> So what is the decision on the svg embedding?
>
> Sorry, I've not been able to keep up with this mail discussion. (Still
> owe people from last weeks Monday /Tuesday a reply :-\ )

I apologize for making it harder for you to keep up, by adding another
message to the thread! :-)

> I had a look some days ago and got the impression that there were
> differences between LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org . And maybe some
> more things.

I guess there's "some more thing": NoOp could only see the better
embedding in OOo *for Windows*, not in Linux:

,----[NoOp's message of Thu, 09 Jun 2011 10:19:37 -0700]

| On 06/08/2011 03:29 PM, Zak McKracken wrote:
| > Am 08.06.2011, 19:38 Uhr, schrieb NoOp...
| >> Which version did you try? I've tried both:
| >> http://download.openoffice.org/next/other.html#dev2
| >> and
| >> http://download.openoffice.org/all_beta.html
| >> (linux Intel DEB)
| >
| > The latter one, 3.4 beta1. But I tested it only on Windows XP.
|
| Just tried on WinXP & it does indeed work there. So their linux version
| has issues. I'll add a note to the bug report.
`----

Maybe the windows version uses some windows-only library, or even
windows built-in features to handle SVG?

> What I have been told, is that certain changes for OOO 3.4.0 rc, have
> not been implemented in LibreOffice at the moment, but that it is the
> intention to do that at a next minor release. So that would be 3.5.0

Integration takes time, so, yes, I'd expect some kind of delay.

> Maybe this explains part of the situation (or maybe it even already
> has been written by someone ;-) )

It explains.

But I'm curious about the windows-only bit.