Same-line headings? (feature discussion)

doubi doubi

Same-line headings? (feature discussion)

Hello all,

I've seen in certain textbooks a style where a 'heading' will take the
form of the first sentence of a paragraph. This seems impossible to do
in LO, since all Heading styles used for Outline purposes are paragraph
styles. Is there any way around this? I can't think of one; I think it
would be a feature to add.

I think it could potentially be achieved by making the 'newline' after
paragraph styles optional. I know that could possibly break a lot of
logic, but in the process of implementing it it would be interesting to
look into another problem people have, whereby they would like the
spacing after a paragraph to only appear when the following paragraph is
a different style - in essence, to have attributes of paragraph styles
conditional on context. It's been noted elsewhere that this ability
would remove the need to have a set of three styles for list paragraphs
(Start, Cont, End).

This is just daydreaming but it seems to me these two features might
have some relation to each other. Thoughts?

Cheers,

--Ryan

todd rme todd rme

Re: Same-line headings? (feature discussion)

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Ryan Jendoubi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've seen in certain textbooks a style where a 'heading' will take the form
> of the first sentence of a paragraph. This seems impossible to do in LO,
> since all Heading styles used for Outline purposes are paragraph styles. Is
> there any way around this? I can't think of one; I think it would be a
> feature to add.
>
> I think it could potentially be achieved by making the 'newline' after
> paragraph styles optional. I know that could possibly break a lot of logic,
> but in the process of implementing it it would be interesting to look into
> another problem people have, whereby they would like the spacing after a
> paragraph to only appear when the following paragraph is a different style -
> in essence, to have attributes of paragraph styles conditional on context.
> It's been noted elsewhere that this ability would remove the need to have a
> set of three styles for list paragraphs (Start, Cont, End).
>
> This is just daydreaming but it seems to me these two features might have
> some relation to each other. Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
>
> --Ryan

I think a good solution would be some sort of "invisible paragraph
break", a break that is interpreted by the program as a paragraph
break but doesn't actually show up as a paragraph break in the
document.

This is also useful, for instance, for captions.  Currently the whole
first paragraph of a caption is used when generating the list of
figures.  But this is not a good approach when the figure captions are
very long, and especially not when they contain lists of sub-figures.
Making it so someone could insert a break that doesn't show up in the
document but is interpreted by the program as the end of the paragraph
would allow someone to designate exactly where the caption should end
without pushing text onto a new line (which can be very ugly).

Ideally, to best satisfy your needs as well this could either be
inserted after a given character or after a given line (so when
characters are pushed onto a new line they automatically get the
correct style).

-Todd

toki toki

Re: Same-line headings? (feature discussion)

Jean Weber Jean Weber

On Thu, 2011-05-12 at 04:24 +0000, toki wrote:

> On 11/05/2011 16:19, Ryan Jendoubi wrote:
>
> > I've seen in certain textbooks a style where a 'heading' will take the form of the first sentence of a paragraph. This seems impossible to do in LO,
>
> Tutorial can be found at
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=709
>
> > I think it would be a feature to add.
>
> Try
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/Samples_Templates/User/template_2_x/writer/Thesis.ott
>
> Once upon a time there was a macro that did what you requested.
>
> jonathon
> - --

Thanks for those pointers.
The macro you mention is here:
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6125

I don't know if it works with LO or with current versions of OOo, or if
it needs any modification.

--Jean

doubi doubi

On 12/05/11 05:24, toki wrote:
> On 11/05/2011 16:19, Ryan Jendoubi wrote
>> I've seen in certain textbooks a style where a 'heading' will take the form of the first sentence of a paragraph. This seems impossible to do in LO,
> Tutorial can be found at
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=709

Ha, never say never! Thank you for solving my immediate problem :-)

Do you think that a 'native' way to do inline headings is unnecessary
then? I'd accept that most people who really want them would have the
technical capacity to follow those instructions, but there are certain
disadvantages, like the extra steps involved in editing the heading
text, having to account for the space introduced by the 'invisible'
line, etc.

I thought Todd's idea sounded very elegant: just introduce a
character-level marker that would 'eat' a preceding newline (if that's a
legitimate summary), which would be much better for his caption use-case.

In the meantime, this is a very clever solution.

-r