Save auto recovery information

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Save auto recovery information

Is it possible to make this setting on a per-document basis.
It is a real interruption editing one document with 8-10 others open for
reference only, that all auto-save and stop you editing the working
document.

It would also be useful then to turn auto-save off for reference
documents so they are not accidentally altered.

If not, possible enhancement. An auto-save on/off toggle in a top or
bottom bar for easy reference and switching.

Cheers,steve

Peter Hillier-Brook Peter Hillier-Brook

Re: Save auto recovery information

On 14/02/18 20:42, Steve Edmonds wrote:

> Is it possible to make this setting on a per-document basis.
> It is a real interruption editing one document with 8-10 others open for
> reference only, that all auto-save and stop you editing the working
> document.
>
> It would also be useful then to turn auto-save off for reference
> documents so they are not accidentally altered.
>
> If not, possible enhancement. An auto-save on/off toggle in a top or
> bottom bar for easy reference and switching.

Just a guess, but why not open the "reference only" documents as read
only? I imagine that LibreOffice will not auto save such documents, but
if it does I would suggest that that's a bug.

Peter HB

TomD TomD

Re: Save auto recovery information

Hi :)
I'm not sure how to open as read-only myself but i'd guess a right-click
either per file or on a group of selected files prolly has something.

I think chmod might help change which user "owns" the files - or put them
on a volume/drive/folder that is mounted read-only - but that all seems a
bit extreme.

You could change the time-delay or completely eliminate the auto-save
feature.  Such options used to be in;
Tools - Options - ...
or something like that and prolly still are.

Good luck and regards from
a Tom :)

On 17/02/18 09:17, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> I'm not sure how to open as read-only myself but i'd guess a right-click
> either per file or on a group of selected files prolly has something.

Select "Open File" within Libre Office: in the dialogue box, in the
lower left hand corner is a clue and yes, it does function with multiple
selected files.

> I think chmod might help change which user "owns" the files - or put them
> on a volume/drive/folder that is mounted read-only - but that all seems a
> bit extreme.

It's more than a bit extreme, but changing the permissions on the
reference files would work, with possible side-effects. i.e. Libre
Office would probably try to auto-save and might regularly bleat about
its inability to do so.

> You could change the time-delay or completely eliminate the auto-save
> feature.  Such options used to be in;
> Tools - Options - ...
> or something like that and prolly still are.

Not a good idea if one wanted to auto-save the "live" document, however
depress F1 and search for "auto" in Help.

TomD TomD

Re: Save auto recovery information

Hi :)
+1 to all points there!  I hadn't thought through my suggestions!

The autosave thing is something that annoys me more than it helps.  I don't
like my machine putting me on hold when it suddenly decides it needs to do
something.  I tend to switch features like this off where I can and then
just try to make sure I do my own saving and backups on my schedule rather
than on the machine's.

Regards from
a Tom :)

On 17 Feb 2018 10:05, "Peter Hillier-Brook" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17/02/18 09:17, Tom Davies wrote:
> > Hi :)
> > I'm not sure how to open as read-only myself but i'd guess a right-click
> > either per file or on a group of selected files prolly has something.
>
> Select "Open File" within Libre Office: in the dialogue box, in the
> lower left hand corner is a clue and yes, it does function with multiple
> selected files.
>
> > I think chmod might help change which user "owns" the files - or put them
> > on a volume/drive/folder that is mounted read-only - but that all seems a
> > bit extreme.
>
> It's more than a bit extreme, but changing the permissions on the
> reference files would work, with possible side-effects. i.e. Libre
> Office would probably try to auto-save and might regularly bleat about
> its inability to do so.
>
> > You could change the time-delay or completely eliminate the auto-save
> > feature.  Such options used to be in;
> > Tools - Options - ...
> > or something like that and prolly still are.
>
> Not a good idea if one wanted to auto-save the "live" document, however
> depress F1 and search for "auto" in Help.

Girvin Herr-5 Girvin Herr-5

Re: Save auto recovery information

My beef with autosave is that it seems to start saving just as I start
typing and it does not save my keystrokes while it is saving and I don't
notice it is saving. I end up after the autosave, having to evaluate
what keystrokes worked and what didn't, and redoing the keystrokes that
got ignored. I still find the autosave benefits outweigh these
aggravations, though, so I have it enabled all the time.

Girvin Herr

On 02/17/2018 04:52 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> +1 to all points there!  I hadn't thought through my suggestions!
>
> The autosave thing is something that annoys me more than it helps.  I don't
> like my machine putting me on hold when it suddenly decides it needs to do
> something.  I tend to switch features like this off where I can and then
> just try to make sure I do my own saving and backups on my schedule rather
> than on the machine's.
>
> Regards from
> a Tom :)
>

> On 17 Feb 2018 10:05, "Peter Hillier-Brook" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 17/02/18 09:17, Tom Davies wrote:
>>> Hi :)
>>> I'm not sure how to open as read-only myself but i'd guess a right-click
>>> either per file or on a group of selected files prolly has something.
>> Select "Open File" within Libre Office: in the dialogue box, in the
>> lower left hand corner is a clue and yes, it does function with multiple
>> selected files.
>>
>>> I think chmod might help change which user "owns" the files - or put them
>>> on a volume/drive/folder that is mounted read-only - but that all seems a
>>> bit extreme.
>> It's more than a bit extreme, but changing the permissions on the
>> reference files would work, with possible side-effects. i.e. Libre
>> Office would probably try to auto-save and might regularly bleat about
>> its inability to do so.
>>
>>> You could change the time-delay or completely eliminate the auto-save
>>> feature.  Such options used to be in;
>>> Tools - Options - ...
>>> or something like that and prolly still are.
>> Not a good idea if one wanted to auto-save the "live" document, however
>> depress F1 and search for "auto" in Help.

>> deleted

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Save auto recovery information

It is an interesting discussion.
A while back auto-save was losing my images from the document, now that
seems well and fixed.
I have a UPS with 15 mins. or more reserve to give me plenty of time to
save when the beeping starts, and LO seems so stable now, my multiple
documents can sit open for a week or more and I cannot remember the last
crash/hangup. I almost wonder if I can turn auto-save off.
steve

TomD TomD

Re: Save auto recovery information

Hi :)
If you do try turning the auto-save off then you really need to get into
the habit of doing your own saves quite frequently.

I tend to find that creating a document originally takes me a fair while
but if i lose it then it takes me a LOT less time 2nd time around.  When
first trying to write something down i wrestle with all sorts of decisions
about grammar, layout, formatting and how to express my thoughts.  If i
lose even a significant chunk of work i can usually re-create it very
quickly 2nd time around because i tend to find those decisions are still
lurking around somewhere so i can just get on with the typing.

Regards from
a Tom :)

On 18 February 2018 at 03:04, Steve Edmonds <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It is an interesting discussion.
> A while back auto-save was losing my images from the document, now that
> seems well and fixed.
> I have a UPS with 15 mins. or more reserve to give me plenty of time to
> save when the beeping starts, and LO seems so stable now, my multiple
> documents can sit open for a week or more and I cannot remember the last
> crash/hangup. I almost wonder if I can turn auto-save off.
> steve
>

> On 18/02/18 07:29, Girvin Herr wrote:
>
>> My beef with autosave is that it seems to start saving just as I start
>> typing and it does not save my keystrokes while it is saving and I don't
>> notice it is saving. I end up after the autosave, having to evaluate what
>> keystrokes worked and what didn't, and redoing the keystrokes that got
>> ignored. I still find the autosave benefits outweigh these aggravations,
>> though, so I have it enabled all the time.
>>
>> Girvin Herr
>>

>> On 02/17/2018 04:52 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
>>
>>> Hi :)
>>> +1 to all points there!  I hadn't thought through my suggestions!
>>>
>>> The autosave thing is something that annoys me more than it helps.  I
>>> don't
>>> like my machine putting me on hold when it suddenly decides it needs to
>>> do
>>> something.  I tend to switch features like this off where I can and then
>>> just try to make sure I do my own saving and backups on my schedule
>>> rather
>>> than on the machine's.
>>>
>>> Regards from
>>> a Tom :)

zahra a zahra a

Re: Save auto recovery information

hi.
for changing autoSave:
open tools, options, load-save, general and active or deactivate
Save AutoRecovery information every:
newer versions of libreoffice by default, save the informations every
ten minutes and you can change the number of saving.

On 2/23/18, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi :)
> If you do try turning the auto-save off then you really need to get into
> the habit of doing your own saves quite frequently.
>
> I tend to find that creating a document originally takes me a fair while
> but if i lose it then it takes me a LOT less time 2nd time around.  When
> first trying to write something down i wrestle with all sorts of decisions
> about grammar, layout, formatting and how to express my thoughts.  If i
> lose even a significant chunk of work i can usually re-create it very
> quickly 2nd time around because i tend to find those decisions are still
> lurking around somewhere so i can just get on with the typing.
>
> Regards from
> a Tom :)
>

> On 18 February 2018 at 03:04, Steve Edmonds <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> It is an interesting discussion.
>> A while back auto-save was losing my images from the document, now that
>> seems well and fixed.
>> I have a UPS with 15 mins. or more reserve to give me plenty of time to
>> save when the beeping starts, and LO seems so stable now, my multiple
>> documents can sit open for a week or more and I cannot remember the last
>> crash/hangup. I almost wonder if I can turn auto-save off.
>> steve
>>

>> On 18/02/18 07:29, Girvin Herr wrote:
>>
>>> My beef with autosave is that it seems to start saving just as I start
>>> typing and it does not save my keystrokes while it is saving and I don't
>>> notice it is saving. I end up after the autosave, having to evaluate what
>>> keystrokes worked and what didn't, and redoing the keystrokes that got
>>> ignored. I still find the autosave benefits outweigh these aggravations,
>>> though, so I have it enabled all the time.
>>>
>>> Girvin Herr

>> deleted

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

TomD TomD

Re: Save auto recovery information

Hi :)
Yeh, 10mins is waaay too often for me.  I think psychologists ht suggest
20-40mins but i would go for around an hour.
Regards from
a Tom :)

On 23 February 2018 at 17:14, zahra a <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi.
> for changing autoSave:
> open tools, options, load-save, general and active or deactivate
> Save AutoRecovery information every:
> newer versions of libreoffice by default, save the informations every
> ten minutes and you can change the number of saving.
>
> On 2/23/18, Tom Davies <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi :)
> > If you do try turning the auto-save off then you really need to get into
> > the habit of doing your own saves quite frequently.
> >
> > I tend to find that creating a document originally takes me a fair while
> > but if i lose it then it takes me a LOT less time 2nd time around.  When
> > first trying to write something down i wrestle with all sorts of
> decisions
> > about grammar, layout, formatting and how to express my thoughts.  If i
> > lose even a significant chunk of work i can usually re-create it very
> > quickly 2nd time around because i tend to find those decisions are still
> > lurking around somewhere so i can just get on with the typing.
> >
> > Regards from
> > a Tom :)
> >

> > On 18 February 2018 at 03:04, Steve Edmonds <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> It is an interesting discussion.
> >> A while back auto-save was losing my images from the document, now that
> >> seems well and fixed.
> >> I have a UPS with 15 mins. or more reserve to give me plenty of time to
> >> save when the beeping starts, and LO seems so stable now, my multiple
> >> documents can sit open for a week or more and I cannot remember the last
> >> crash/hangup. I almost wonder if I can turn auto-save off.
> >> steve

> don't
> what
> aggravations,

> then

> something.

> about

> however

> be
> >>>>>

> >> --
> >> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> >> deleted
> >>

> > --
> > deleted
> >

> --
> By God,
> were I given all the seven heavens
> with all they contain
> in order that
> I may disobey God
> by depriving an ant
> from the husk of a grain of barley,
> I would not do it.
> imam ali

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Save auto recovery information

I just checked. I have my auto-save set for 10 minutes.

I know that when I are hard at work doing long documents from notes, or
outline, I tend to set it for 5 minutes since a lot of the document is
"off the cuff" from a small amount of text in cryptic notes and/or
outline of the document.  It is easier, I find with a lower auto save time.

Believe me, it came in handy for several documents on a desktop when we
lost power - car hit electric pole or such - and I would have lost a lot
of work.  Now I do that stuff on a laptop, but I still want the auto save.