Scrollbars in popovers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
mirek2 mirek2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Scrollbars in popovers

Hi everyone,
You may have noticed that we're working on a color picker design [1]. One
problem we've come across is how to present scroll bars in the popover.
They can't suddenly appear and change the width of the popover, as if the
popover is situated on the right, it would cause items to shift when
switching from a category that doesn't require a scroll bar to one that
does.
We've come up with several possible solutions, pictured at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/8/84/C-picker.png:
1) make the color tiles smaller to fit a scrollbar
2) have a persistent scrollbar area
3) have a scrollbar narrow enough to fit (this would require implementing a
Unity-like scrollbar in order for it to work for all users, which is
probably out of the question)
4) have a narrow position indicator and separate buttons for navigation

We have democratically selected solution 2 for now, but we're not entirely
happy with it.
If you have any other proposals or would like to voice your support for any
of the proposals, please let us know.
If nobody responds until the next IRC chat, we're opting for solution 2.

[1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Color_Picker

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

manas manas
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scrollbars in popovers

Hi Mirek,

I have added another alternative approach for scrolling in the same page (
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Color_Picker).

We can show hovering (or static) scroll buttons in the scrollable area.

I have also suggested two more changes:
1. Making the "Automatic" color to span the width.
2. Highlighting the selected palette.

Thanks,
Manas

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Mirek M. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> You may have noticed that we're working on a color picker design [1]. One
> problem we've come across is how to present scroll bars in the popover.
> They can't suddenly appear and change the width of the popover, as if the
> popover is situated on the right, it would cause items to shift when
> switching from a category that doesn't require a scroll bar to one that
> does.
> We've come up with several possible solutions, pictured at
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/8/84/C-picker.png:
> 1) make the color tiles smaller to fit a scrollbar
> 2) have a persistent scrollbar area
> 3) have a scrollbar narrow enough to fit (this would require implementing a
> Unity-like scrollbar in order for it to work for all users, which is
> probably out of the question)
> 4) have a narrow position indicator and separate buttons for navigation
>
> We have democratically selected solution 2 for now, but we're not entirely
> happy with it.
> If you have any other proposals or would like to voice your support for any
> of the proposals, please let us know.
> If nobody responds until the next IRC chat, we're opting for solution 2.
>
> [1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Color_Picker
>
> --
> Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
> Problems?
> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be
> deleted
>
>

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
mirek2 mirek2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scrollbars in popovers

Hi Manas,

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Manas Ranjan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mirek,
>
> I have added another alternative approach for scrolling in the same page (
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Color_Picker).
>
> We can show hovering (or static) scroll buttons in the scrollable area.
>

In this case, I would prefer to rather go with the original proposal 4, as
the idea is the same, only the arrows take up less space as they're on the
same line (max. 1 row), and it's faster to navigate in the opposite
direction, as the navigation buttons are right next to each other (the
mouse cursor doesn't have to travel all the way to the opposite end to go
the other way).

>
> I have also suggested two more changes:
> 1. Making the "Automatic" color to span the width.
>

I would prefer not to, as that would overpower the color preview, which
should be the most dominant item in the popover.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, in some cases, the default will be
"None". We still need to decide on a visualization of "None" -- Inkscape
shows an X, which would look awkward stretched out as a background.

2. Highlighting the selected palette.
>

It's not a bad idea, but I would opt for a flat background instead --
either a darker gray or a blue.

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted