Sectional Navigation suggestion

JW JW

Sectional Navigation suggestion

To whom it may concern:

Please forgive me if this is the incorrect place to do this, but I could
not locate anything in the Libreoffice website where a suggestion could be
submitted.

Tom, in the [hidden email] suggested I send it to someone in
Nabbles.

Anyway -  The other day I ran across an Office suite called Kingsoft
Office. Thus, being curious - I downloaded the free version and installed
it so I could check it out.

While (in my opinion) it's a decent piece of software - overall, it's not
up to par with LibreOffice. However, they do have one feature on the
Kingsoft Writer offer within their" 2013 Skins" called *Sectional Navigation
* that I consider brilliant.

The Sectional Navigation has 3 sections:
1. Cover Page - Inside this option is a number of cover page designs you
can use for your document.
2. Table Of Contents - is where  various table of content styles are
offered.
AND
3. Sections - here each page of the document you are working on is shown.
It provides a miniview  or preview of your current document. Being an
author, I find it extremely helpful in being able to "see" exactly how
close I am to an end of a page, and how the total age layout is going to
look.

Please see the screenshot below. - I think something like this in
LibreOffice would be nothing short of fantastic!

[image: Inline image 1]

Thanks for your time.

JW

mirek2 mirek2

Re: Sectional Navigation suggestion

Hi Jonathon,

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:38 AM, Jonathon Waterman <[hidden email]>wrote:

> To whom it may concern:
>
> Please forgive me if this is the incorrect place to do this, but I could
> not locate anything in the Libreoffice website where a suggestion could be
> submitted.
>
> Tom, in the [hidden email] suggested I send it to someone in
> Nabbles.
>
> Anyway -  The other day I ran across an Office suite called Kingsoft
> Office. Thus, being curious - I downloaded the free version and installed
> it so I could check it out.
>
> While (in my opinion) it's a decent piece of software - overall, it's not
> up to par with LibreOffice. However, they do have one feature on the
> Kingsoft Writer offer within their" 2013 Skins" called *Sectional
> Navigation
> * that I consider brilliant.
>
> The Sectional Navigation has 3 sections:
> 1. Cover Page - Inside this option is a number of cover page designs you
> can use for your document.
> 2. Table Of Contents - is where  various table of content styles are
> offered.
> AND
> 3. Sections - here each page of the document you are working on is shown.
> It provides a miniview  or preview of your current document. Being an
> author, I find it extremely helpful in being able to "see" exactly how
> close I am to an end of a page, and how the total age layout is going to
> look.
>
> Please see the screenshot below. - I think something like this in
> LibreOffice would be nothing short of fantastic!
>
> [image: Inline image 1]

Unfortunately, this mailing list doesn't allow attachments. Could you
upload the image somewhere else? (If you don't know where, you could simply
upload it to the Document Foundation wiki. [1])

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design

Tor Lillqvist-2 Tor Lillqvist-2

Re: Sectional Navigation suggestion

> Unfortunately, this mailing list doesn't allow attachments. Could you
>  upload the image somewhere else? (If you don't know where, you could
> simply
> upload it to the Document Foundation wiki. [1])
>
> I am not a lawyer, far from it, but I think one needs to be careful
though, such screenshots might well be considered proprietary information
of the software company in question. It would be better if you could just
provide a textual description of what you see, or point to screenshots that
the company itself makes public, or that are part of reviews of the
software on some website.

--tml

JW JW

Re: Sectional Navigation suggestion

In following Tor's recommendation about not uploading a screenshot, which
could potentially cause legal problems - may I recommend viewing this
article I found on the internet:
http://www.kingsoftstore.com/news/3065-differences-between-kingsoft-office-and-ms-office-for-word-processing-software.html

About two-thirds down the page you will see a photo labeled Section Tab.
This is actually called Sectional Navigation, and it what I was previously
referencing as something that would be an excellent addition to LibreOffice.