Seeking approval for server procurement

Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens

Seeking approval for server procurement

Hi *,

TDF has received a generous, targetted donation of $3000 to procure
a rack-mountable server, dedicated for dev-related workloads, e.g.
tinderbox builds. One of our sponsoring companies is offering
for-free hosting, such that this is a one-off spending.

I hereby request the board to approve the purchase of a suitable
box, for up to $3000.

Regards,

-- Thorsten

Tom Tom

Re: Seeking approval for server procurement

Hi :)
+1
Ok, i am not a voting member but the options here seem to be
1.  accept the donation and get an asset that might be useful (probably will be enormously useful)
2.  hand back the dosh

So i am not really clear why it's even up for discussion or voting on but i guess it's good policy jic it leads to further unexpected expenses or other problems (which seems very unlikely).

Tom Davies wrote:
> So i am not really clear why it's even up for discussion or voting

Because you can't just donate $xy to TDF, and ask us to buy, say, a
nuclear warhead on ebay - without the board explicitely approving
the purchase.

HTH,

-- Thorsten

André Schnabel André Schnabel

Re: Seeking approval for server procurement

Hi Thorsten, *

I'm not voting, but want to get this right ...

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Von: Thorsten Behrens <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
>
> TDF has received a generous, targetted donation of $3000 to procure
> a rack-mountable server, dedicated for dev-related workloads, e.g.
> tinderbox builds. One of our sponsoring companies is offering
> for-free hosting, such that this is a one-off spending.

This would mean, that

1) TDF gets $3k to by any server that then will be hostet by a sponsor for free

2) TDF gets $3k to by a certain server which is available, and hosted by a sponsor for free

If it is 2) the board should at least verify and document, that the server
price is reasonable according to current server market condidtions.

regards,

André

italovignoli italovignoli

On 1/11/12 12:31 PM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:

> TDF has received a generous, targetted donation of $3000 to procure
> a rack-mountable server, dedicated for dev-related workloads, e.g.
> tinderbox builds. One of our sponsoring companies is offering
> for-free hosting, such that this is a one-off spending.

> I hereby request the board to approve the purchase of a suitable
> box, for up to $3000.

+1

--
Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mob +39.348.5653829 - VoIP [hidden email]

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
Michael Meeks-2 Michael Meeks-2

On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 12:31 +0100, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> TDF has received a generous, targetted donation of $3000 to procure

        Lovely :-)

> I hereby request the board to approve the purchase of a suitable
> box, for up to $3000.

        Excellent by me :-)

        Thanks,

                Michael.

André Schnabel wrote:
> This would mean, that
>
> 1) TDF gets $3k to by any server that then will be hostet by a sponsor for free
>
> 2) TDF gets $3k to by a certain server which is available, and hosted by a sponsor for free

It's 1) with some suggestions on what would be desirable (from both
donor and hoster). But TDF is generally free to pick.

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Seeking approval for server procurement

Le Wed, 11 Jan 2012 14:30:16 +0000,
Michael Meeks <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 12:31 +0100, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> > TDF has received a generous, targetted donation of $3000 to procure
>
> Lovely :-)
>
> > I hereby request the board to approve the purchase of a suitable
> > box, for up to $3000.
>
> Excellent by me :-)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael.

+1

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Member of the Board of Directors,

Olivier Hallot Olivier Hallot

Re: Seeking approval for server procurement

Thorsten Behrens Thorsten Behrens

Re: [RESULT] Seeking approval for server procurement

> I hereby request the board to approve the purchase of a suitable
> box, for up to $3000.

I vote +1 myself, and count 6 yes votes, zero no, and one
abstention.

Request approved by the board, and decision added to

 http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/TDF/BoD_Decisions

Cheers,

-- Thorsten