Set up a mirror server in asian countries

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
ACTom ACTom
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Set up a mirror server in asian countries

Hi,

We find that the libreoffice.org website server is located in Germany.
For people in some asian countries (for example, China), it's really
slow to visit our website.

We are wondering if it's possible to set up a mirror server in one of
the asian countries like Japan or China?
Or is it possible for us to rent a server in asia, sync data with the
main server, and have zh-cn.libreoffice.org domian dns set to the new
server?


Thanks!
Tom

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
krackedpress krackedpress
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Set up a mirror server in asian countries

On 06/30/2014 01:03 AM, Tom wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We find that the libreoffice.org website server is located in Germany.
> For people in some asian countries (for example, China), it's really
> slow to visit our website.
>
> We are wondering if it's possible to set up a mirror server in one of
> the asian countries like Japan or China?
> Or is it possible for us to rent a server in asia, sync data with the
> main server, and have zh-cn.libreoffice.org domian dns set to the new
> server?
>
>
> Thanks!
> Tom
>

China has "content filters" on their access to the Internet. They block
content that the government does not like.  Or at least it was stated
this way on the national TV news and some tech articles.

As for having a mirrored server [service] in Asia, well Japan might be a
good country, but what would be the costs involved?

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Set up a mirror server in asian countries

In reply to this post by ACTom
Hi Tom,

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We find that the libreoffice.org website server is located in Germany. For
> people in some asian countries (for example, China), it's really slow to
> visit our website.

That's sad to hear.

> We are wondering if it's possible to set up a mirror server in one of the
> asian countries like Japan or China?

Currently, we have no servers in Asia, but migration to new
infrastructure is planned for later this year, so maybe that will
improve things.

> Or is it possible for us to rent a server in asia, sync data with the main
> server, and have zh-cn.libreoffice.org domian dns set to the new server?

Preferrably TDF would like to have full control of the servers, so
relying on third parties to sync properly is something we would like
to avoid if possible..

It was mentioned on the list that twitter is blocked in China, and
that this causes browser lockups/delays. Thus I disabled adding the
twitter feeds for the zh-cn.libreoffice.org site.

Can you tell if that already improves things for you? If so, we could
extend this (not adding the twitter feeds) to all subsites when
accessed from China.

ciao
Christian

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
suokunlong suokunlong
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Set up a mirror server in asian countries

Hi Christian,

Thank you very much for your reply.  In order to test if disabling
twitter feeds improves the performance, would you please also remove the
following from zh-cn site:

<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");</script>

When loading the homepage, the browser is "connecting to
platform.twitter.com" forever.

Thanks!

Kevin Suo

于 2014年07月02日 00:30, Christian Lohmaier 写道:

> Hi Tom,
>
> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We find that the libreoffice.org website server is located in Germany. For
>> people in some asian countries (for example, China), it's really slow to
>> visit our website.
> That's sad to hear.
>
>> We are wondering if it's possible to set up a mirror server in one of the
>> asian countries like Japan or China?
> Currently, we have no servers in Asia, but migration to new
> infrastructure is planned for later this year, so maybe that will
> improve things.
>
>> Or is it possible for us to rent a server in asia, sync data with the main
>> server, and have zh-cn.libreoffice.org domian dns set to the new server?
> Preferrably TDF would like to have full control of the servers, so
> relying on third parties to sync properly is something we would like
> to avoid if possible..
>
> It was mentioned on the list that twitter is blocked in China, and
> that this causes browser lockups/delays. Thus I disabled adding the
> twitter feeds for the zh-cn.libreoffice.org site.
>
> Can you tell if that already improves things for you? If so, we could
> extend this (not adding the twitter feeds) to all subsites when
> accessed from China.
>
> ciao
> Christian
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Set up a mirror server in asian countries

Hi Kevin,

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Kevin Suo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply.  In order to test if disabling twitter
> feeds improves the performance, would you please also remove the following
> from zh-cn site:
>
> <script>!function(d,s,id){var
> js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");</script>
>
> When loading the homepage, the browser is "connecting to
> platform.twitter.com" forever.

Oups, missed that javascript part, sorry - fixed that.

ciao
Christian

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Set up a mirror server in asian countries

Hi Kevin, *,

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 6:54 PM, Kevin Suo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 于 2014年07月02日 00:44, Christian Lohmaier 写道:
> [...]
> for me at this moment, the only part that slows down the webpage loading is
> this one:
> http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.10.1/jquery.min.js

Strange, I thought google with its cdn should be able to provide it
much faster to any region...
(the idea to use googleapis instead of your own server is that many
websites make use of jquery, and thus if loaded from one server, it is
likely that it already is in the browser-cache, but of course doesn't
help if it is not reachable...

> [...] maybe we can put this js to our own server, rather
> than on google's?

Just did so - it should now be loaded from our server.

> All other parts are not slow, at a range we can endure.

If other parts are slow as well, let me know.

Also if you want to include a specific webfont: let me know. Currently
the site uses Lato, but that doesn't contain chinese characters, so
how the page is displayed is all up to the browser's fallback
strategy...

ciao
Christian

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
ACTom ACTom
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Set up a mirror server in asian countries

In reply to this post by krackedpress

于 2014年07月01日 19:39, Kracked_P_P---webmaster 写道:

> On 06/30/2014 01:03 AM, Tom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We find that the libreoffice.org website server is located in
>> Germany. For people in some asian countries (for example, China),
>> it's really slow to visit our website.
>>
>> We are wondering if it's possible to set up a mirror server in one of
>> the asian countries like Japan or China?
>> Or is it possible for us to rent a server in asia, sync data with the
>> main server, and have zh-cn.libreoffice.org domian dns set to the new
>> server?
>>
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Tom
>>
>
> China has "content filters" on their access to the Internet. They
> block content that the government does not like.  Or at least it was
> stated this way on the national TV news and some tech articles.
>
> As for having a mirrored server [service] in Asia, well Japan might be
> a good country, but what would be the costs involved?
>
I think has a mirror in Japan or Hongkong is the better way, if you want
to host in China, you have to put on record to government, it takes long
time, and I don't know if foreign organization can put on record.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Christian Lohmaier (klammer) Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Custom css

In reply to this post by Christian Lohmaier (klammer)
Hi Kevin, *,

On Wednesday, July 2, 2014, Kevin Suo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 于 7/2/2014 1:34 AM, Christian Lohmaier 写道:
>
> Also if you want to include a specific webfont: let me know. Currently the
> site uses Lato, but that doesn't contain chinese characters, so how the
> page is displayed is all up to the browser's fallback strategy...
>
> Is it possible to include a costum css file within the webpage header? For
> example, you could revise the template code to:
>

I'd rather avoid to have a solution that works that way. I'd rather have
the css styles included in the overall css.

I want to avoid that some projects make some nice styles, but other
projects don't even notice them and even if they do, they have to dupliacte
stuff.

So if you have need for custom css then please post it and I'll include it
in the overall stylesheets (for example french project already has custom
css to reduce font-size in the navigation bar to make it fit)

The technical possibility exists however, just that I'm personally not
convinced that this is the preferred way to do it.

ciao
Christian

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted