Setting up Custom Outline Format

Robert Steinmetz AIA Robert Steinmetz AIA

Setting up Custom Outline Format

I have been attempting to set up a custom outline format and have
searched the Internet for an answer but many of the answer refer to
older versions of LO and I really am having trouble understanding how to
do it.

I need Something like this:

Section - 1

     1.1

         A.

             1)

                 a)

     1.2

Section  - 2

     2.1

            A.

     2.2

             A.

What I can't figure out is how to get the sub paragraph automatic pick
up the section number.

John Kaufmann John Kaufmann

Re: Setting up Custom Outline Format

On 2020-04-03 13:24, Robert Steinmetz wrote:
> I have been attempting to set up a custom outline format and have searched the Internet for an answer but many of the answer refer to older versions of LO and I really am having trouble understanding how to do it.
So which version are you using?

> I need Something like this:
>
> Section - 1
>      1.1
>          A.
>              1)
>                  a)
>      1.2
>
> Section  - 2
>      2.1
>             A.
>      2.2
>              A.
>
> What I can't figure out is how to get the sub paragraph automatic pick up the section number.

Not sure what you are asking, so let's begin with definition of your levels:
        Level 1: Numeric {1..},  "" token after
        Level 2: Numeric {1..},  level 1 prepended, "." separator, "" token after
        Level 3: Alpha UC {A..}, "." token after
        Level 4: Numeric {1..},  ")" token after
        Level 5: Alpha LC {a..}, ")" token after

Are you saying you cannot get Level 2 ({L1}.{L2}) to display properly?

On 4/3/20 3:51 PM, Robert Steinmetz wrote:

> On 4/3/20 2:09 PM, John Kaufmann wrote:
>> On 2020-04-03 13:24, Robert Steinmetz wrote:
>>> I have been attempting to set up a custom outline format and have
>>> searched the Internet for an answer but many of the answer refer to
>>> older versions of LO and I really am having trouble understanding
>>> how to do it.
>> So which version are you using?
>>
>>> I need Something like this:
>>>
>>> 1 Section - 1
>>> 2     1.1
>>> 3         A.
>>> 4            1)
>>> 5                 a)
>>> 6    1.2
>>>
>>> 7 Section  - 2
>>> 8     2.1
>>> 9            A.
>>> 10   2.2

On 4/6/20 12:53 PM, Robert Steinmetz wrote:

> On 4/3/20 3:51 PM, Robert Steinmetz wrote:
>>> So which version are you using?

>>> Not sure what you are asking, so let's begin with definition of your
>>> levels:
>>>     Level 1: Numeric {1..},  "" token after
>>>     Level 2: Numeric {1..},  level 1 prepended, "." separator, ""
>>> token after
>>>     Level 3: Alpha UC {A..}, "." token after
>>>     Level 4: Numeric {1..},  ")" token after
>>>     Level 5: Alpha LC {a..}, ")" token after
>>>
>>> Are you saying you cannot get Level 2 ({L1}.{L2}) to display properly?
>>
>> I've added line numbers to help clarify
>>
>> I Can get lines 1-7 to work just fine.
>>
>> but line 8 does not pickup the number 2  from the line above and
>> comes out 1.1 again.
>>
>> My version is Version: 6.0.7.3 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

I've figured it out.

I was not understanding the List Style -> Outline tab -> Customize ->
Sublevels

Creating a Custom List Style then setting Customize -> Level 2 ->  Show
Sublevels = 2 achieves what I want.

The next lower levels can be set to different numbering types and
everything works like I need.

On 2020-04-08 12:28, Robert Steinmetz wrote:

>>> I Can get lines 1-7 to work just fine.
>>> but line 8 does not pickup the number 2  from the line above and comes out 1.1 again.
> I've figured it out.
>
> I was not understanding the List Style -> Outline tab -> Customize -> Sublevels
>
> Creating a Custom List Style then setting Customize -> Level 2 ->  Show Sublevels = 2 achieves what I want.
>
> The next lower levels can be set to different numbering types and everything works like I need.

Great (suspected that might be the case - though you don't even need a Custom List Style to make it work that way).
Thanks for posting back to the list to close out the question.