Shorter mailing list prefix?

Jean Weber Jean Weber

Shorter mailing list prefix?

Is it possible to shorten this prefix on emails from the Documentation
mailing list?  [libreoffice-documentation]

--Jean

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: Shorter mailing list prefix?

Hi,

Am 07.10.2010 um 08:23 schrieb Jean Hollis Weber:

> Is it possible to shorten this prefix on emails from the Documentation
> mailing list?  [libreoffice-documentation]

someone asked to have a longer prefix -- initially it was
libo-documentation. Cc'ng André, who might have more insight. I want
to have it consistent amongst all lists, but am open for the shorter
version also.

Florian

--
Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
Tel: +49 8341 99660880

Danishka Navin Danishka Navin

Re: Shorter mailing list prefix?

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Florian Effenberger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 07.10.2010 um 08:23 schrieb Jean Hollis Weber:
>
> > Is it possible to shorten this prefix on emails from the Documentation
> > mailing list?  [libreoffice-documentation]
>
> someone asked to have a longer prefix -- initially it was
> libo-documentation. Cc'ng André, who might have more insight. I want
> to have it consistent amongst all lists, but am open for the shorter
> version also.

libo-doc ?
libo-web
etc

> Florian
>
> --
> Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>
> Steering Committee and Founding Member of The Document Foundation
> Tel: +49 8341 99660880
> Fax: +49 8341 99660889
> Mobile: +49 151 14424108
> Skype: floeff | Twitter/Identi.ca: @floeff

Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://identi.ca/danishka

Am 07.10.2010 um 09:07 schrieb Danishka Navin:

> libo-doc ?
> libo-web
> etc

that was the plan, indeed.

Florian

André Schnabel André Schnabel

Re: Shorter mailing list prefix?

> Von: Florian Effenberger <[hidden email]>

> Am 07.10.2010 um 08:23 schrieb Jean Hollis Weber:
>
> > Is it possible to shorten this prefix on emails from the Documentation
> > mailing list?  [libreoffice-documentation]
>
> someone asked to have a longer prefix -- initially it was
> libo-documentation. Cc'ng André, who might have more insight. I want to have it consistent
> amongst all lists, but am open for the shorter version also.

When we startet the l10n list, I got request to change from
"libo-l10n" to "libreoffice-l10n" . To apply this rule to the
documentation list, we should use "libreoffice-doc".

So, general rule would be: "libreoffice-"<short name of topic>

But I don't stick on that, as long as we do not change it every day :)

André
--
GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 &euro;/mtl.! Jetzt auch mit

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-10-07 03:21, Andre Schnabel a écrit :

> Hi,
>
>> Von: Florian Effenberger<[hidden email]>
>

>> Am 07.10.2010 um 08:23 schrieb Jean Hollis Weber:
>>
>>> Is it possible to shorten this prefix on emails from the Documentation
>>> mailing list?  [libreoffice-documentation]
>>
>> someone asked to have a longer prefix -- initially it was
>> libo-documentation. Cc'ng André, who might have more insight. I want to have it consistent
>> amongst all lists, but am open for the shorter version also.
>
> When we startet the l10n list, I got request to change from
> "libo-l10n" to "libreoffice-l10n" . To apply this rule to the
> documentation list, we should use "libreoffice-doc".
>
> So, general rule would be: "libreoffice-"<short name of topic>
>
> But I don't stick on that, as long as we do not change it every day :)
>
> André

If you are going to re-organise the nomenclature and apply localization,
may I suggest that for country and language designation you follow the
ISO standard. As LibO is using an ISO standard document format, it would
then stand to reason to follow and promote ISO standards.

The ISO country-code standard can be found here:
http://www.iso.org/iso/english_country_names_and_code_elements

The ISO language-code standard can be found here:
http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/codes.asp *

* SIL is the caretaker of the ISO language-code standard and has
formulated over the years 3 code conventions. In order to circumvent the
ISO country-code designation, I would suggest the SIL language-code 3
digit standard be adopted (almost all of the world's languages have been
coded).

In using the ISO standard, LibO would be standing behind the ISO
standard that sets the convention for its document format. This will
legitimize even more the ISO standard.

I also think that the LibO should also take part in the ISO steering
committees on document format as it's interest in a properly run ISO
organization as well as a well-documented document format is in its core
interest. It is what differentiates the LibO suite from the other
non-compliant document format suites.

Marc

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-10-07 06:11, Marc Paré a écrit :

> Le 2010-10-07 03:21, Andre Schnabel a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Von: Florian Effenberger<[hidden email]>

>>> someone asked to have a longer prefix -- initially it was
>>> libo-documentation. Cc'ng André, who might have more insight. I want
>>> to have it consistent
>>> amongst all lists, but am open for the shorter version also.
>>
>> When we startet the l10n list, I got request to change from
>> "libo-l10n" to "libreoffice-l10n" . To apply this rule to the
>> documentation list, we should use "libreoffice-doc".
>>
>> So, general rule would be: "libreoffice-"<short name of topic>
>>
>> But I don't stick on that, as long as we do not change it every day :)
>>
>> André
>
> If you are going to re-organise the nomenclature and apply localization,
> may I suggest that for country and language designation you follow the
> ISO standard. As LibO is using an ISO standard document format, it would
> then stand to reason to follow and promote ISO standards.
>
> The ISO country-code standard can be found here:
> http://www.iso.org/iso/english_country_names_and_code_elements
>
> The ISO language-code standard can be found here:
> http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/codes.asp *
>
> * SIL is the caretaker of the ISO language-code standard and has
> formulated over the years 3 code conventions. In order to circumvent the
> ISO country-code designation, I would suggest the SIL language-code 3
> digit standard be adopted (almost all of the world's languages have been
> coded).
>
> In using the ISO standard, LibO would be standing behind the ISO
> standard that sets the convention for its document format. This will
> legitimize even more the ISO standard.
>
> I also think that the LibO should also take part in the ISO steering
> committees on document format as it's interest in a properly run ISO
> organization as well as a well-documented document format is in its core
> interest. It is what differentiates the LibO suite from the other
> non-compliant document format suites.
>
> Marc

Just to add that you may find additionally the date convention here too.
This page lists the most sought-for ISO convention pages:

http://www.iso.org/iso/fr/support/faqs/faqs_widely_used_standards.htm

Marc

Charles Marcus Charles Marcus

On 2010-10-07 2:23 AM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> Is it possible to shorten this prefix on emails from the Documentation
> mailing list?  [libreoffice-documentation]

It would be nice if the subject tag could be optional per subscriber -
personally I think they are a total waste of space in the subject.

Alternatively, why not go extreme - how about [lo-doc]?

Charles

marcpare4 marcpare4

Le 2010-10-07 08:48, Charles Marcus a écrit :
> On 2010-10-07 2:23 AM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
>> Is it possible to shorten this prefix on emails from the Documentation
>> mailing list?  [libreoffice-documentation]
>
> It would be nice if the subject tag could be optional per subscriber -
> personally I think they are a total waste of space in the subject.
>
> Alternatively, why not go extreme - how about [lo-doc]?

I think this is too extreme. A user would have to then decypher the LibO
naming convention and it would then become impossible to manage the
different language permutations of these names.

I would vote that the LibO apply the ISO naming conventions where
applicable and where there is no convention, make sure that they are
easily understood by any user. The naming convention should also be
detailed in a FAQ on the LibO site so that we all follow the same format.

On 2010-10-07 8:58 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
> I think this is too extreme. A user would have to then decypher the
> LibO naming convention and it would then become impossible to manage
> the different language permutations of these names.
>
> I would vote that the LibO apply the ISO naming conventions where
> applicable and where there is no convention, make sure that they are
> easily understood by any user. The naming convention should also be
> detailed in a FAQ on the LibO site so that we all follow the same
> format.

I don't care what the list name itself is, I'm talking about the
[SUBJECT TAG]. So I'll reiterate - if these huge/long subject tags are
going to be implemented, please, please provide user customizable list
options so that users who don't want/need them can disable them
completely - as I said, they are useless and a total waste of space for
me (and most anyone who filters on LISTID headers rather than subject tag
s).

Charles

Am 07.10.2010 um 15:30 schrieb Charles Marcus:

> I don't care what the list name itself is, I'm talking about the
> [SUBJECT TAG]. So I'll reiterate - if these huge/long subject tags are
> going to be implemented, please, please provide user customizable list
> options so that users who don't want/need them can disable them
> completely - as I said, they are useless and a total waste of space for
> me (and most anyone who filters on LISTID headers rather than subject tag
> s).

unfortunately, this is not possible at the moment...

Florian