SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Next » 12
marcpare4 marcpare4

SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

I know there was a thread comment somewhere on this, but, I can't seem
to find it.

Is there anything being done to try to address the slow response from
the server when we are in "Admin" mode in SilverStripe? I was updating
the ES site last night and the load time was extremely slow and at one
point it munched my hours' worth of work! Yikes! I then had to do a
rollback to get to a version where I could re-start again.

Is there an explanation for the server problems?

I also often do bug fixes on the EN site and it is slow on there too.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré
[hidden email]

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Hi Marc,

Marc Paré wrote on 2012-08-23 17:07:
> Is there anything being done to try to address the slow response from
> the server when we are in "Admin" mode in SilverStripe? I was updating
> the ES site last night and the load time was extremely slow and at one
> point it munched my hours' worth of work! Yikes! I then had to do a
> rollback to get to a version where I could re-start again.

I do share your pain, and I'm sorry about the issues :-( From what I
know, Christian Lohmaier is trying to find the issue by installing
Silverstripe in a VM. It seems to be not load related (anymore), at
least not primarily, since the main website works just fine, only the
backend seems to be affected.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Hi Florian (and Christian -- when you read this)

Le 2012-08-23 16:15, Florian Effenberger a écrit :

> Hi Marc,
>
> Marc Paré wrote on 2012-08-23 17:07:
>> Is there anything being done to try to address the slow response from
>> the server when we are in "Admin" mode in SilverStripe? I was updating
>> the ES site last night and the load time was extremely slow and at one
>> point it munched my hours' worth of work! Yikes! I then had to do a
>> rollback to get to a version where I could re-start again.
>
> I do share your pain, and I'm sorry about the issues :-( From what I
> know, Christian Lohmaier is trying to find the issue by installing
> Silverstripe in a VM. It seems to be not load related (anymore), at
> least not primarily, since the main website works just fine, only the
> backend seems to be affected.
>
> Florian

Thanks for the answer. It will be a relief when the problem is solved.
takes so long that I will just decide to try at another time.

Christian -- thanks for working on this. Your help is really
appreciated! Thanks!

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré
[hidden email]

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Le 2012-08-23 16:15, Florian Effenberger a écrit :

> Hi Marc,
>
> Marc Paré wrote on 2012-08-23 17:07:
>> Is there anything being done to try to address the slow response from
>> the server when we are in "Admin" mode in SilverStripe? I was updating
>> the ES site last night and the load time was extremely slow and at one
>> point it munched my hours' worth of work! Yikes! I then had to do a
>> rollback to get to a version where I could re-start again.
>
> I do share your pain, and I'm sorry about the issues :-( From what I
> know, Christian Lohmaier is trying to find the issue by installing
> Silverstripe in a VM. It seems to be not load related (anymore), at
> least not primarily, since the main website works just fine, only the
> backend seems to be affected.
>
> Florian

I can't seem to load pages 3.5 and 3.6 anymore. It just seems to
time-out all the time -- which makes sense as it just ran for about 3-4
minutes with no success. I am not sure if it is just my connection, I
rebooted my router, box etc. and it didn't change a thing.

I am not sure if anyone else is experiencing the same.

Cheers,

Marc

Marc Paré wrote on 2012-08-24 18:14:
> I can't seem to load pages 3.5 and 3.6 anymore. It just seems to
> time-out all the time -- which makes sense as it just ran for about 3-4
> minutes with no success. I am not sure if it is just my connection, I
> rebooted my router, box etc. and it didn't change a thing.

do you mean in edit mode, or simply browsing them? If the latter, which
URLs are you experiencing this with?

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Olivier Hallot Olivier Hallot

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Hi Marc, All

Lucky man!, 3 minutes...

Yes, and the situation is such that I had to leave many updated pages
offline.

Unusable, at best.

Olivier

2012/8/24 Marc Paré <[hidden email]>

> Le 2012-08-23 16:15, Florian Effenberger a écrit :
>
>> Hi Marc,
>>

>> Marc Paré wrote on 2012-08-23 17:07:
>>
>>> Is there anything being done to try to address the slow response from
>>> the server when we are in "Admin" mode in SilverStripe? I was updating
>>> the ES site last night and the load time was extremely slow and at one
>>> point it munched my hours' worth of work! Yikes! I then had to do a
>>> rollback to get to a version where I could re-start again.
>>>

>> I do share your pain, and I'm sorry about the issues :-( From what I
>> know, Christian Lohmaier is trying to find the issue by installing
>> Silverstripe in a VM. It seems to be not load related (anymore), at
>> least not primarily, since the main website works just fine, only the
>> backend seems to be affected.
>>
>> Florian
>>

> I can't seem to load pages 3.5 and 3.6 anymore. It just seems to time-out
> all the time -- which makes sense as it just ran for about 3-4 minutes with
> no success. I am not sure if it is just my connection, I rebooted my
> router, box etc. and it didn't change a thing.
>
> I am not sure if anyone else is experiencing the same.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Marc
>

> --
> Marc Paré
> [hidden email]
> http://www.parEntreprise.com
> parEntreprise.com Supports OpenDocument Formats (ODF)
> parEntreprise.com Supports http://www.LibreOffice.org

Olivier Hallot
Founder and Steering Commitee Member
The Document Foundation

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Hi Florian,

Le 2012-08-24 12:49, Florian Effenberger a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Marc Paré wrote on 2012-08-24 18:14:
>> I can't seem to load pages 3.5 and 3.6 anymore. It just seems to
>> time-out all the time -- which makes sense as it just ran for about 3-4
>> minutes with no success. I am not sure if it is just my connection, I
>> rebooted my router, box etc. and it didn't change a thing.
>
> do you mean in edit mode, or simply browsing them? If the latter, which
> URLs are you experiencing this with?
>
> Florian

No, all of the problems are with SilverStripe in edit mode. We are
trying to update the ES site, and of course, having access to the EN
site in edit mode would be nice too. :-)

Cheers,

Marc

Marc Paré wrote on 2012-08-24 18:53:

> No, all of the problems are with SilverStripe in edit mode. We are
> trying to update the ES site, and of course, having access to the EN
> site in edit mode would be nice too. :-)

this is definitely becoming a major problem :-( Sadly, I am more than
drowned in work so I cannot have a look right now, but I'll ping cloph
for an update.

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Hi Florian,

Please keep uq updafed. I plan to create a sponsors page in September so It
would be useful to know what's going on...

Thanks,

Charles.

Charles-H. Schulz wrote on 2012-08-25 11:37:
> Please keep uq updafed. I plan to create a sponsors page in September so It
> would be useful to know what's going on...

I also was working on a donation page and gave up for the moment, so I
do feel your pain. :-(

I'll try to contact Christian Lohmaier (didn't manage to yesterday in
IRC). Then there's the server migration planned for this fall, which
should give us additional hardware resources, but I have no exact ETA yet.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Florian one thing you have me wondering has the server exceeded its
bandwidth limit for the month. It could be that the connectivity speed has
been throttled down for some reason such as exceeding bandwidth.

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Florian Effenberger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Charles-H. Schulz wrote on 2012-08-25 11:37:
>
>  Please keep uq updafed. I plan to create a sponsors page in September so
>> It
>> would be useful to know what's going on...
>>

> I also was working on a donation page and gave up for the moment, so I do
> feel your pain. :-(
>
> I'll try to contact Christian Lohmaier (didn't manage to yesterday in
> IRC). Then there's the server migration planned for this fall, which should
> give us additional hardware resources, but I have no exact ETA yet.
>

> Florian
>
> --
> Florian Effenberger, Chairman of the Board (Vorstandsvorsitzender)
> Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
> The Document Foundation, Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
> Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.**org/imprint<http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint>

Jonathan Aquilina

Jonathan Aquilina wrote on 2012-08-25 12:23:
> Florian one thing you have me wondering has the server exceeded its
> bandwidth limit for the month. It could be that the connectivity speed
> has been throttled down for some reason such as exceeding bandwidth.

good point, but - no. It's simply a hardware power problem, now that
LibreOffice becomes more and more popular. The new machine is already in
testing, but it takes lots of time to set-up the new base system and
transfer files, since we're at the same time migration to a newer
version of our distribution.

Jonathan Aquilina wrote on 2012-08-25 12:27:
> I understand that it takes time but question is do we have the time?

what else shall we do? We cannot clone ourselves. :-( The admin team is
working hard, especially on weekends, during evenings and public
holidays, but many of us have a lot of things to do, so it takes a
while. Our day has only 24 hours, and family life, job and even other
TDF duties take a lot of time. :/

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

I totally understand but what worries me is those that contribute to the
various websites will just up and leave the project. Also i would like to
volunteer my time to help get this new server up and running.

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Florian Effenberger <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Jonathan Aquilina wrote on 2012-08-25 12:27:
>
>  I understand that it takes time but question is do we have the time?
>>

> what else shall we do? We cannot clone ourselves. :-( The admin team is
> working hard, especially on weekends, during evenings and public holidays,
> but many of us have a lot of things to do, so it takes a while. Our day has
> only 24 hours, and family life, job and even other TDF duties take a lot of
> time. :/
>

> Florian
>
> --
> Florian Effenberger, Chairman of the Board (Vorstandsvorsitzender)
> Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108
> The Document Foundation, Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
> Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.**org/imprint<http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint>

--
Jonathan Aquilina

Friedrich Strohmaier Friedrich Strohmaier

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Hi Jonathan, *,

Am 25.08.2012 13:07 schrieb Jonathan Aquilina:
> I totally understand but what worries me is those that contribute to the
> various websites will just up and leave the project. Also i would like to
> volunteer my time to help get this new server up and running.

As for Rui: I'll ping You per PM

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Florian Effenberger wrote:

[..]

>> what else shall we do? We cannot clone ourselves. :-( The admin team is

[..]

Gruß/regards
--
Friedrich
Libreoffice-Box http://libreofficebox.org/

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Hi everyone, I am back from my short vacation.

I read through the posts on this thread. I think that it must be said
that we really appreciate all of the people who are working at fixing
this problem. I can well imagine that it must be quite time consuming
trying to find the problem and that, hopefully, the new server(s) will
help correct the problem(s).

Thanks for all of the help!

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré
[hidden email]
http://www.parEntreprise.com

Florian Effenberger Florian Effenberger

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

+1 - especially to Alin and Friedrich and Christian, who are very active
these days!

Marc Paré wrote on 2012-08-28 09:53:
> Thanks for all of the help!

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108

Jean Spiteri Jean Spiteri

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

I'm experiencing this also.

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Marc Paré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there anything being done to try to address the slow response from the
> server when we are in "Admin" mode in SilverStripe?

Yes, and happy to report that the problem is solved - Hooray :-)

Sorry that it took so long, but I just didn't have any idea what could
be wrong, and I also couldn't find any cause when torturing my local
vm.

Long story short: It was a corrupted zend-cache that for whatever
reason caused the insane CPU-load and ultimately then caused all the
timeouts.

Now the backend should be as fast as before, no page should take more
than 5 seconds to load.

(Thanks to Friedrich et al for bugging me :-)

ciao
Christian

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: SilverStripe and server response (slow) problems

Christian Lohmaier wrote (28-08-12 16:27)

> Yes, and happy to report that the problem is solved - Hooray :-)

  + 1 :-)

thanks all!

--
  - Cor