Silverstripe - Can't edit images after insertion

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Silverstripe - Can't edit images after insertion

After inserting an image using the Silverstripe image sidebar I cannot
edit, move or select the image to edit it (I want to put in v/hspace).

Has anyone else using silverstripe encountered all of these bugs I am finding?

I use Chrome 9.0 on Ubuntu 10.10

Mike Wheatland

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Silverstripe - Can't edit images after insertion

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Michael Wheatland
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> After inserting an image using the Silverstripe image sidebar I cannot
> edit, move or select the image to edit it (I want to put in v/hspace).
>
> Has anyone else using silverstripe encountered all of these bugs I am finding?
>
> I use Chrome 9.0 on Ubuntu 10.10
>
> Mike Wheatland

Help Someone?!?!?
I am not sure which module we are using to deliver a WYSIWYG editor to
Silverstripe, but this one clearly does not work well at all.
I am currently searching through the module list to find how we
implement ckEditor on the site but I cannot find anything relating to
editors:

http://silverstripe.org/modules/?KeyWordSearch=wysiwyg&SupportLevelField[SilverStripe]=SilverStripe&SupportLevelField[Community]=Community&SupportLevelField[None]=None&SSversionsField=0&sort=name

Please help, this is actually breaking content, which is really not
acceptable on a production site.

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Silverstripe - Can't edit images after insertion

> Help Someone?!?!?
> I am not sure which module we are using to deliver a WYSIWYG editor to
> Silverstripe, but this one clearly does not work well at all.
> I am currently searching through the module list to find how we
> implement ckEditor on the site but I cannot find anything relating to
> editors:
>
> http://silverstripe.org/modules/?KeyWordSearch=wysiwyg&SupportLevelField[SilverStripe]=SilverStripe&SupportLevelField[Community]=Community&SupportLevelField[None]=None&SSversionsField=0&sort=name
>
> Please help, this is actually breaking content, which is really not
> acceptable on a production site.

I have done a bit more searching and found these:

http://silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/12903
http://silverstripe.org/general-questions/show/13535
http://silverstripe.org/content-editor-discussions/show/13455

As far as I can see:
These are the only references to changing the editor I can find on the
whole Silverstripe forum, and as far as I can tell there is no way to
integrate any other editor into Silverstripe.
Unless someone custom codes the module so we can test out if ckEditor
integrates better with Silverstripe we will be stuck using this broken
editor, and even then there is no guarantee.

We really need a path forward on this, probably should have had
resolution of this major bug prior to selecting Silverstripe as the
CMS.
I don't really want to spark up the CMS debate again. So I hope I am
totally incorrect and it is very easy to change editors.

Again... Please help.
People are waiting for me to publish their content while this bug still exists.

Mike

Re: Silverstripe - Can't edit images after insertion

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Michael Wheatland
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> After inserting an image using the Silverstripe image sidebar I cannot
> edit, move or select the image to edit it (I want to put in v/hspace).

Editing is no problem, selecting is no problem. and what do you mean
with moving?
There is no free positioning of images in HTML, you can have left
aligned, right aligned, and the option to manually insert a style
attribute into the HTML, but there is no positioning using drag and
drop or similar, as that wouldn't even work since the editor is not an
exact replication of the layout, but only a visual help.

> Has anyone else using silverstripe encountered all of these bugs I am finding?

No.

ciao
Christian

Re: Silverstripe - Can't edit images after insertion

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Michael Wheatland
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Michael Wheatland
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Please help, this is actually breaking content, which is really not
> acceptable on a production site.

Sorry, but how is this breaking content? Give step by step instructions please.

ciao
Christian

Re: Silverstripe - Can't edit images after insertion

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:45 AM, Michael Wheatland
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We really need a path forward on this, probably should have had
> resolution of this major bug prior to selecting Silverstripe as the
> CMS.

Bullshit again. During the evaluation period I had a demosite from the
very beginning, invited people to check it out and compare the
feature, show up limitations, etc.

You didn't take the chance obviously, and are now complaining the
loudest, despite several NL-teams, the LibreOfficeBox team, etc. all
coming along nicely with the editor.

I see you take the chance to bash silverstripe and in that way push
support for drupal, but please don't do it so obvious.

Raising issues with silverstripe is OK, but you should avoid starting
to go to bashing mode right away.

> I don't really want to spark up the CMS debate again. So I hope I am
> totally incorrect and it is very easy to change editors.

No, there is no need to change editors. As none of the editor choices
in drupal were even close to being usable.

Again: What "breaking of content" please.

ciao
Christian

Re: Silverstripe - Can't edit images after insertion

Hi *,

here's a little screenrecording of image handling with chromium
browser. I don't see the problem.

http://pumbaa.documentfoundation.org:7780/assets/cloph/imagehandling.ogv (3.7MB)

ciao
Christian

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Silverstripe - Can't edit images after insertion

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 5:45 AM, Michael Wheatland
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We really need a path forward on this, probably should have had
>> resolution of this major bug prior to selecting Silverstripe as the
>> CMS.
>
> Bullshit again. During the evaluation period I had a demosite from the
> very beginning, invited people to check it out and compare the
> feature, show up limitations, etc.
>
> You didn't take the chance obviously, and are now complaining the
> loudest, despite several NL-teams, the LibreOfficeBox team, etc. all
> coming along nicely with the editor.

I was not involved with the initial setup, as the understanding was
that we were moving away from silverstripe in a short time. This was a
communication misunderstanding that was addressed earlier.

> I see you take the chance to bash silverstripe and in that way push
> support for drupal, but please don't do it so obvious.
>
> Raising issues with silverstripe is OK, but you should avoid starting
> to go to bashing mode right away.

I stated I don't want to spark up the CMS debate again. See below. I
am raising concerns which need to be addressed with the current
system, and referencing LibreOffice team developments that have worked
as specified: CKEditor.

>> I don't really want to spark up the CMS debate again. So I hope I am
>> totally incorrect and it is very easy to change editors.
>
> No, there is no need to change editors. As none of the editor choices
> in drupal were even close to being usable.

I completely disagree. The implementation of CKEditor by Carlos
Jenkins was nothing less than masterful.
The editor worked exactly as it was designed without interference by
the systems UI. Some drag and drop from the desktop features and
pasting rich text worked perfectly.

> Again: What "breaking of content" please.
>

>>here's a little screenrecording of image handling with chromium
>>browser. I don't see the problem.
>>
>>http://pumbaa.documentfoundation.org:7780/assets/cloph/imagehandling.ogv (3.7MB)

Although I appreciate the screencast of the things that do work, I was
raising the things that don't.
I have put together a screencast of the options which I have found so far:
http://www.wheatland.com.au/sites/default/files/files/BrokenEditor.ogv

The two features which currently don't work is editing the image
properties via the right click menu and inserting a table.
As far as I can see, the UI that Silverstripe injects into TinyMCE
does not have image options for border, links, vspace or hspace which
is needed.

I would appreciate a reduction in the stonewalling and ridiculing my
legitimate concerns.
I am not trying to attack your work, I am raising concerns which need
to be addressed for the system to work for all contributors.

Michael Wheatland