Size of LibreOffice svg files

chimak111 chimak111

Size of LibreOffice svg files

I installed LibreOffice Version 4.0.2.2 (Build ID: 4c82dcdd6efcd48b1d8bba66bfe1989deee49c3) direct from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ on Lubuntu 13.04.

There are several LibreOffice svg files installed in /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/apps. While the pre-existing svg files are mostly symbolic and < 10 kB, the LibreOffice ones are excessively large: most of the are > 100 kB and the one for Calc is 1.3 MB.

Why are these files so large? Why are they where they are? What is their function? Even their dimensions are different from the other files in that folder: the others are 16x16 px. These are much, much larger.
Christian Lohmaier-2 Christian Lohmaier-2

Re: Size of LibreOffice svg files

Hi *,

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM, chimak111 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
> There are several LibreOffice svg files installed in
> /usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/apps. While the pre-existing svg files are
> mostly symbolic and < 10 kB, the LibreOffice ones are excessively large:
> most of the are > 100 kB and the one for Calc is 1.3 MB.
>
> Why are these files so large?

Well - of course the shapes are more complex than those of other
icons, but the reason the size is that large is the gradients. Those
are specified with many explicit stops, and that can probably be tuned
to be more efficient storage-wise.

> Why are they where they are?

That is the designated location for application icons. - but there is
a bug and they should actually be symlinks to the ones in hicolor, as
they don't differ.

> What is their
> function?

Allow your desktop-environment to display nice looking icons of your
applications in any size.

> Even their dimensions are different from the other files in that
> folder: the others are 16x16 px. These are much, much larger.

Nope, in the *scalable* folder, the icons are explicitly scalable
without loss of quality. They are intended for sizes > than 48x48
pixels, (as for smaller ones there usually are dedicated
bitmap-versions in the corresponding 16x16, 28x28,... folders)

ciao
Christian

chimak111 chimak111

Christian, thank you for clarifying. Much appreciated :)
chimak111 chimak111

Re: Size of LibreOffice svg files

Christian Lohmaier-2 wrote
That is the designated location for application icons. - but there is
a bug and they should actually be symlinks to the ones in hicolor, as
they don't differ.
Hi Christian, just for the sake of completeness, large LibreOffice svg files are present in
/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/apps
/usr/share/icons/gnome/scalable/mimetypes
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/mimetypes
Stefan Knorr Stefan Knorr

Re: Size of LibreOffice svg files

Hi Chimak,

I guess the reason for this is at least partly that the Gnome people have now
found a different interpretation of the purpose of the scalable/ folder. It used
to house icons that were could scale to very large sizes. However, since they
noticed that vector icons gave worse performance than raster icons for
complicated icons and thus did not want to use them anymore, and they also
needed a place to put their symbolic icons in ... the folder is now used
differently.

We might want to follow their lead sometime. However, I am not sure what KDE
currently do.

Astron.