Size of an ODG inside of an ODT

theoldwizard1 theoldwizard1

Size of an ODG inside of an ODT

This post was updated on .
LibreOffice 4.1.2.3

I am trying to insert an ODG into a ODT using Insert -> Object -> OLE Object -> Create from file,  the resultant "physical size" on the page (paper) of the object in the ODT is NOT the same as the original ODG !  Of course grabbing a resize handle in Writer "stretches" the contents out of shape.  If the resultant object is selected (green dots on), Format -> Object has Position and Size disabled.

Example 1, the ODG is 1 page which is defined as 6.0"x2.0" with 0,0,0,0 margins. When it is inserted it is clearly much taller than 2.0".

Example 2, the ODG is 1 page, A4 size with A4 default margins. When I try to insert it into my ODT it fills the width of the Letter size page, but the length is much too small.

In both cases, when the image is brought into the Writer document, the contents of the image have the proper width/height ratio.

Example_1.odg
Example_1.odt
Example_2.odg
Example_2.odt
Tom Tom

Re: Size of an ODG inside of an ODT

Hi :)
I don't know what is going wrong there.

The way i get images into a document is to simply drag them in.  It sounds
like you are trying to do something over-complicated but there is probably
a good reason for it.  My way means the document ends up being quite
heavy.

So i open the document and then open the folder with the images in.  Then
simply click and drag the image from the folder into the document.

i never expect images to appear the right size to start with.  In the rare
cases where i have control over the physical size of the image on-screen i
try to make it about twice the size that it's going to appear when printed
in order to try to make it sharp enough but not tooo heavy.

I tend to prefer resizing by right-click on the image and then select
"Picture" to open a dialogue-box with tons of options for anchor-point,
wrap, borders, spacing and all the rest so that i can have a first stab at
doing all of that in one go.  That way of resizing means i can keep the
aspect ratio to avoid distorting the images.  Most people are familiar with
the output of Word so they don't mind if images and logos do get distorted
but i prefer to be more accurate.

On 27 October 2013 03:34, Jack Patteeuw <[hidden email]> wrote:

> LibreOffice 4.1.2.3I am trying to insert an ODG into a ODT usingInsert
> -Object -OLE Object -Create from fileThe resultant "physical size" on the
> page (paper) of the object in
>     the ODT is NOT the same as the original ODG ! Of course grabbing a
>     resize handle in Writer "stretches" the contents out of shape.If the
> resultant object is selected (green dots on),Format -ObjecthasPosition and
> Sizedisabled.Example 1, the ODG is 1 page which is defined as 6.0"x2.0" with
>     0,0,0,0 margins. When it is inserted it is clearly much taller than
>     2.0".Example 2, the ODG is 1 page, A4 size with A4 default margins.
> When
>     I try to insert it into my ODT it fills the width of the Letter size
>     page, but the length is much too small.In both cases, when the image
> is brought into the Writer document,
>     the contents of the image have the proper width/height ratio.

theoldwizard1 theoldwizard1

Re: Size of an ODG inside of an ODT

This post was updated on .
My ultimate goal is to create a document with Writer that I can "Export as PDF".  The examples that I originally sent were trivial, but the important ones are vector drawings and they must stay vector drawings so that when the final document in resized in Adobe Reader they will comes  out correct.

Look at Example 3, attached.  The object in Draw is slightly smaller than the page/canvas.  While in Writer, when I "Insert -Object -OLE Object -Create from file" the resultant OLE is larger than either of those 2 sizes !!  Luckily these are all close so I can live with it ... this time !

There must be a way, in Writer, to insert an OLE so that the  resultant OLE has a predictable size !
Example_3.odg
Example_3.odt

On 27 October 2013 03:34, Jack Patteeuwjack.patteeuw@gmail.comwrote:LibreOffice
            4.1.2.3I am trying to insert an ODG into a ODT usingInsert
            -Object -OLE Object -Create from fileThe resultant "physical
            size" on the page (paper) of the object inthe ODT is NOT the same as the original ODG ! Of course
            grabbing aresize handle in Writer "stretches" the contents out of
            shape.If the resultant object is selected (green dots
            on),Format -ObjecthasPosition and Sizedisabled.Example 1,
            the ODG is 1 page which is defined as 6.0"x2.0" with0,0,0,0 margins. When it is inserted it is clearly much
            taller than2.0".Example 2, the ODG is 1 page, A4 size with A4
            default margins. WhenI try to insert it into my ODT it fills the width of the
            Letter sizepage, but the length is much too small.In both cases,
            when the image is brought into the Writer document,the contents of the image have the proper width/height
            ratio.--To unsubscribe e-mail to:users+unsubscribe@global.libreoffice.orgProblems?http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/Posting guidelines + more:http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/NetiquetteList archive:http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived
                and cannot be deleted

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Size of an ODG inside of an ODT

Hi Jack,

Jack Patteeuw schrieb:

> LibreOffice 4.1.2.3I am trying to insert an ODG into a ODT
> usingInsert -Object -OLE Object -Create from fileThe resultant
> "physical size" on the page (paper) of the object in the ODT is NOT
> the same as the original ODG ! Of course grabbing a resize handle in
> Writer "stretches" the contents out of shape.If the resultant object
> is selected (green dots on),Format -ObjecthasPosition and
> Sizedisabled.Example 1, the ODG is 1 page which is defined as
> 6.0"x2.0" with 0,0,0,0 margins. When it is inserted it is clearly
> much taller than 2.0".Example 2, the ODG is 1 page, A4 size with A4
> default margins. When I try to insert it into my ODT it fills the
> width of the Letter size page, but the length is much too small.In
> both cases, when the image is brought into the Writer document, the
> contents of the image have the proper width/height ratio.

Why do you try to insert an odg-document as OLE-object instead of
inserting the drawings directly?

Kind regards
Regina