Smooth edges of vector graphic objects turn into rough lines in PDF

gordom gordom

Smooth edges of vector graphic objects turn into rough lines in PDF

Hallo everyone.

I'm preparing some document in Writer that consists of text & vector
graphic. Vector graphic was originally prepared with Corel Draw, then
exported into PDF and imported into Inkscape. With Inkscape, graphic was
saved into .SVG (anticipating any questions, I was not satisfied with
the result of the .SVG, nor .EMF and .WMF files that were created from
Corel directly). SVG graphic was inserted into Writer document (I made
some tests with Draw also). Everything looks fine – no complains.
The problem starts while exporting into .PDF file. Objects edges are
transformed. Instead of having shapes with smooth curves, I've got rough
lines (but graphic is not rasterized, it is still a vector draw). Do you
know anything about this issue, is there a way to avoid this? I will
appreciate any help. Regards,

gordom

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Smooth edges of vector graphic objects turn into rough lines in PDF

       Did it look as you desired in DRAW?
           if so, then by exporting to PDF, all should be a-ok  ;-)
                (well, works for me)

           if you then exported to a MSFT product, then things would become
messy -
                (well, that's my experience in flipping between the systems)

       To correct the errors MSFT made, you need to use their program or
suffer with the knowledge that the receiver will see a lesser quality of
your work.  (an humbling experience)

gordom gordom

W dniu 2013-04-15 17:33, anne-ology pisze:
> Did it look as you desired in DRAW?
> if so, then by exporting to PDF, all should be a-ok
> (well, works for me)

Well, it's not OK, that's the problem. However in DRAW & WRITER (LO 4)
the graphic looks as desired (the shape edges are smooth), after
exporting into .pdf they become rough.

Just to illustrate:

 From something like that in WRITER

             /==========/
            /==========/
           /==========/
          /==========/
         /==========/
        /==========/
       /==========/
      /==========/
     /==========/
    /==========/
   /==========/
  /==========/
/==========/

I get this in .pdf

             [==========]
            [==========]
           [==========]
          [==========]
         [==========]
        [==========]
       [==========]
      [==========]
     [==========]
    [==========]
   [==========]
  [==========]
[==========]

Regards,
gordom

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Smooth edges of vector graphic objects turn into rough lines in PDF

       Must be a bug in the new LO -
           I'm still using LO 3.4   ;-)

       I do hope that someone can help you with this problem anon.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM, gordom <[hidden email]> wrote:

W dniu 2013-04-15 17:33, anne-ology pisze:

>> Did it look as you desired in DRAW?
>> if so, then by exporting to PDF, all should be a-ok
>> (well, works for me)
>>

> Well, it's not OK, that's the problem. However in DRAW & WRITER (LO 4) the
> graphic looks as desired (the shape edges are smooth), after exporting into
> .pdf they become rough.
>
> Just to illustrate:
>
> From something like that in WRITER
>

>             /==========/
>            /==========/
>           /==========/
>          /==========/
>         /==========/
>        /==========/
>       /==========/
>      /==========/
>     /==========/
>    /==========/
>   /==========/
>  /==========/
> /==========/
>

> I get this in .pdf
>
>             [==========]
>            [==========]
>           [==========]
>          [==========]
>         [==========]
>        [==========]
>       [==========]
>      [==========]
>     [==========]
>    [==========]
>   [==========]
>  [==========]
> [==========]
>

> Regards,
> gordom

Tom Tom

Re: Smooth edges of vector graphic objects turn into rough lines in PDF

Hi :)
Since no-one has posted anything to solve the problem and no-workarounds either it might be good to post a bug-report about it.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
If you can't find all the information that link requests don't worry, just post anyway with what you do have.  you can always make more posts to the thread later and one of the kind QA people or devs might be able to help you gather the info.

Actually, getting involved in QA is an excellent way to learn a lot quite fast but doesn't require much to initially join and be useful.

Pedro Pedro

Re: Smooth edges of vector graphic objects turn into rough lines in PDF

Please help us to help you...

Which OS version? Which LibreOffice version?
Can you provide a sample file? Can you show some screenshots?