So what's with LibO 3.5?

Next » 12
Onyeibo Oku-2 Onyeibo Oku-2

So what's with LibO 3.5?

Greetings

I've been seeing libO 3.5 on this list and I'm now curious. What is in this 3.5 that should make me peep? What changed and what does the user stand to benefit from the changes?

I like bleeding edge, there's got to be a good excuse to dive in first. Can someone enlighten me? I use 3.4.4 at the moment.

Gérard Fargeot Gérard Fargeot

re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

Hi

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5

> Message du 11/01/12 09:53
> De : "Onyeibo Oku"
> A : "Libre, Users"
> Copie à :
> Objet : [libreoffice-users] So what's with LibO 3.5?
>
> Greetings
>
> I've been seeing libO 3.5 on this list and I'm now curious. What is in this 3.5 that should make me peep? What changed and what does the user stand to benefit from the changes?
>
> I like bleeding edge, there's got to be a good excuse to dive in first. Can someone enlighten me? I use 3.4.4 at the moment.
Marcello Romani Marcello Romani

Re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

Il 11/01/2012 10:32, Gérard FARGEOT ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5
>

>> Message du 11/01/12 09:53
>> De : "Onyeibo Oku"
>> A : "Libre, Users"
>> Copie à :
>> Objet : [libreoffice-users] So what's with LibO 3.5?
>>
>> Greetings
>>
>> I've been seeing libO 3.5 on this list and I'm now curious. What is in this 3.5 that should make me peep? What changed and what does the user stand to benefit from the changes?
>>
>> I like bleeding edge, there's got to be a good excuse to dive in first. Can someone enlighten me? I use 3.4.4 at the moment.
>> from [hidden email] :)

Impressive! :-)

--
Marcello Romani

Onyeibo Oku-2 Onyeibo Oku-2

Re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

AWESOMENESS!

What's the big idea in waiting. I'm downloading it NOW! The improvement is remarkable!!!!!

from [hidden email] :)

> I've been seeing libO 3.5 on this list and I'm now curious. What is in this 3.5 that should make me peep? What changed and what does the user stand to benefit from the changes?
>
> I like bleeding edge, there's got to be a good excuse to dive in first. Can someone enlighten me? I use 3.4.4 at the moment.
Ian Whitfield Ian Whitfield

Re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

On 11/01/2012 11:49, Marcello Romani wrote:

>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5
> Impressive! :-)

Yes it is......

*BUT *- Why nothing about Base!!!!!!!!?????????? :-(

Ian Whitfield
Pretoria

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 14:35 +0200, Ian Whitfield wrote:

> On 11/01/2012 11:49, Marcello Romani wrote:
> >
> >> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/3.5
> > Impressive! :-)
>
> Yes it is......
>
> *BUT *- Why nothing about Base!!!!!!!!?????????? :-(
>
> Ian Whitfield
> Pretoria

     Probably there are no changes made in Base ...

--Dan

Pedro Pedro

Re: re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

The Release Notes page fails to mention that LO 3.5 now supports Java 7 (1.7). In fact if you have both Java 6 and 7 you can select which one to use in Tools, Options, LibreOffice, Java
Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

Re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

Tom Tom

Re: re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

That is really good news because for previous versions of Office we have been stuck on a fairly old version of java.  Plenty of current stable versions of Gnu&Linux were using that older version of java but one really wants to be a bit safer in Windows.

We still know there are going to be many flaws and vulnerabilites found in any version of java no matter how new it is but at least the newer version might have LESS holes!

The Release Notes page fails to mention that LO 3.5 now supports Java 7
(1.7). In fact if you have both Java 6 and 7 you can select which one to use
in Tools, Options, LibreOffice, Java

Onyeibo Oku-2 Onyeibo Oku-2

Re: re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

There!

3.5 is the way forward. I'm running it and I'm enjoying the experience :)
I just wish there's a better icon theme or is there a way to throw the UI open to system's icon theme. I use faenza on GTK3 (fedora 16, Gnome3)?

Hmm, the callout leaders for comments didn't get reviewed. Sometimes comments on a phrase overlap. It should be better to use highlights rather than arrowheads for the 'comment' callout(balloon). I use this feature a lot :(

I'm happy to 'miss' the conspicuous margin borders ... Just neat.

Java 1.7 support? Thought the idea was to liberate LibreOffice of the Java dependency in order to improve performance.  Great, my custom-developed extension works as expected. I'm glad pyuno didn't get broken. Next I'll be testing the speed of creating about 20sheets within a loop. 3.4 had speed issues there.

Until then ... Well done LibreOffice team!
:)
from [hidden email] :)

The Release Notes page fails to mention that LO 3.5 now supports Java 7
(1.7). In fact if you have both Java 6 and 7 you can select which one to use
in Tools, Options, LibreOffice, Java

Tom Tom

Re: re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

Hi :)
It is well worth talking with the Design Mailing List about icon sets and theming.  I think they have some neat tricks and good sets.

I am not sure who deals with the contents of tool-tips or balloons.  I have a horrible feeling it might the the over-worked and under-staffed Documentation Team.  Documentation might not seem glamorous or sexy but it makes a big difference.

The Release Notes page fails to mention that LO 3.5 now supports Java 7
(1.7). In fact if you have both Java 6 and 7 you can select which one to use
in Tools, Options, LibreOffice, Java

Spencer Graves-2 Spencer Graves-2

Re: re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

On 1/11/2012 10:40 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> It is well worth talking with the Design Mailing List about icon sets and theming.  I think they have some neat tricks and good sets.
>
> I am not sure who deals with the contents of tool-tips or balloons.  I have a horrible feeling it might the the over-worked and under-staffed Documentation Team.  Documentation might not seem glamorous or sexy but it makes a big difference.

       AND is a place where someone can make an extremely valuable
contribution without getting involved in the details of the code.  With
another open source project (R, www.r-project.org), I started
contributing by improving documentation.  It may not be as immediately
visible as a comment on this email list, but it can have a much bigger
impact long term.

       Spencer

> Regards from
> Tom :)

Onyeibo Oku-2 Onyeibo Oku-2

Re: re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

URL please?

> I am not sure who deals with the contents of tool-tips or balloons.  I have a horrible feeling it might the the over-worked and under-staffed Documentation Team.  Documentation might not seem glamorous or sexy but it makes a big difference.
> Regards from
> Tom :)

I wasn't talking about tool-tips.  I was talking about the "COMMENT"
feature (CTRL+ALT+C). I have created a quick (sloppy) scenario here:
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7671/liboevolution.png

Those icons on the toolbars don't give me joy any more.  The "markers"
or arrowheads used by the comment leader (the dashed lines) confuse the
readers.  Its hard to tell which text owns the comment in that phrase.
Sometimes an entire paragraph may need a general comment (in addition to
small comments targeted at small phrases or sentences within the
paragraph).  LibO still doesn't differentiate those very well.

If you have the job of reading student's reports and making comments ...
you'll frown at libO.  Its just confusing and I've introduced LibO into
our repertoire of School software in our Institution

Regards
Oku, O

Jack Jack

Re: re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

Onyeibo Oku wrote:
> Hmm, the callout leaders for comments didn't get reviewed. Sometimes comments on a phrase overlap. It should be better to use highlights rather than arrowheads for the 'comment' callout(balloon). I use this feature a lot :(

LibreOffice 3.5 is still in the beta phase and I think bug reports are
very welcome.  Please have a look whether or not a bug report (or
enhancement request, whatever you want to call it) has already been
filed at bugs.freedesktop.org and add your comments to it.  If not,
feel free to file a new one, with a severity of "enhancement".  For
more info on bug reporting:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport.

Regards
Stephan

Tom Tom

Re: re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

Hi :)
+1
This is a perfect time to post bug-reports, especially against the 3.5.0.  With a bit of luck some of the fixes might appear in the final release of 3.5.0 but if not then perhaps in 3.5.1

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)

> Hmm, the callout leaders for comments didn't get reviewed. Sometimes comments on a phrase overlap. It should be better to use highlights rather than arrowheads for the 'comment' callout(balloon). I use this feature a lot :(

LibreOffice 3.5 is still in the beta phase and I think bug reports are
very welcome.  Please have a look whether or not a bug report (or
enhancement request, whatever you want to call it) has already been
filed at bugs.freedesktop.org and add your comments to it.  If not,
feel free to file a new one, with a severity of "enhancement".  For
more info on bug reporting:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport.

Regards
Stephan

Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood

Re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

Le 11/01/12 14:32, Dan Lewis a écrit :

>      Probably there are no changes made in Base ...

Au contraire, there have been a number of Base related bugfixes, not to
mention the inclusion of a native postgresql connector extension as
default (or at least it should be there as default). I guess no one
thought to write anything about it though.

Lest ye all get too excited : there are still some very annoying and now
rather longstanding Base bugs out there, not to mention that mailmerge
still doesn't seem to work properly over the whole scope of what was
available (and functional) with former versions of OpenOffice.org.

Oh, and there are also some new bugs that have been introduced into Base
like SELECT DISTINCT causing the app to crash, but remember 3.5 isn't
ready for release just yet...

Alex

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

Re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

On 2012-01-12 12:48 PM, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Au contraire, there have been a number of Base related bugfixes, not to
> mention the inclusion of a native postgresql connector extension as
> default (or at least it should be there as default). I guess no one
> thought to write anything about it though.

Wow... I would think they'd make a big deal about announcing that, since
it's been so long in the making...

Tom Tom

Re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

Hi :)
Base is like the big elephant in the room that evryone is avoiding talking about.

KOffice dealt with their database issues by just cutting it away from their project completely.  Calligra took it on and all the Kexi devs moved there, or was it the other way around?  Is KOffice completely dead yet or just struggling on?

TDF is not willing to cut Base away but also is not putting any resources into developing it, not even a mailing list to hothouse ideas.  A few individuals have put rather a lot of work in but they remain unsupported and largely unrecognised.

On 2012-01-12 12:48 PM, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Au contraire, there have been a number of Base related bugfixes, not to
> mention the inclusion of a native postgresql connector extension as
> default (or at least it should be there as default). I guess no one
> thought to write anything about it though.

Wow... I would think they'd make a big deal about announcing that, since it's been so long in the making...

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

NoOp NoOp

Re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

On 01/11/2012 07:22 AM, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

> On 12-01-11 03:53 AM, Onyeibo Oku wrote:
>> Greetings
>>
>> I've been seeing libO 3.5 on this list and I'm now curious. What is in
> this 3.5 that should make me peep? What changed and what does the user
> stand to benefit from the changes?
>>
>> I like bleeding edge, there's got to be a good excuse to dive in first.
> Can someone enlighten me? I use 3.4.4 at the moment.
>> from [hidden email] :)
>>
> Visio import alone seems like a huge addition.
I can't get it working in
LOdev 3.5.0beta2
Build ID: 4ca392c-760cc4d-f39cf3d-1b2857e-60db978
I can't even find the filter to select a .vsd, can you?

Pedro Pedro

Re: So what's with LibO 3.5?

NoOp wrote
> Visio import alone seems like a huge addition.
I can't get it working in
LOdev 3.5.0beta2
Build ID: 4ca392c-760cc4d-f39cf3d-1b2857e-60db978
I can't even find the filter to select a .vsd, can you?
Yes. It says Microsoft Visio 2000/XP/2003 (*.vsd)

It's in the pre-release version 3.5.0 Beta3 (Build ID: e40af8c-10029e3-615e522-88673a2-727f724) ;)
And in daily builds from the 3.5.x branch :)
Next » 12