Social Media site MeWe and possible presence?

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Social Media site MeWe and possible presence?

Howdy,

A while back, after the announcement that Google Plus was closing, I
created an account over on the MeWe.com website following a number of folks
from the G+ site.

The service is still on the small side with, from their last report, around
5 million registered users world wide, but growing.

As a site it is similar to Google Plus (which is similar to Facebook, etc).
It is currently walled, in that only registered members can interact with
content, but this is planned to change in the future and the sites content
being searchable and readable without a registration but no hard date on
when that might happen.

The service offers 'groups' which are analogous to 'community' pages under
Google Plus with two major differences: 1st there are no sub-categories and
2nd there is an optional chat feature available. Any member of the group
can post to the group page and if chat is enabled use the chat window.
Groups may be designated as private, which means the content is not visible
to outside members and not returned in site wide searches, or public, which
makes the content visible inside MeWe search results. Groups have enough
optional settings that they can be made to act like pages (explained in
next paragraph).

The service also offers 'pages' which differs from groups in the following
ways:
Pages are always public and may not be made private.
Only administrators and moderators of the page may post to the page and
there can be multiple admins and mods.
MeWe users can follow a page and followers can enter comments on posts
there but may not make top level posts.
Pages include storage space for documents/images/videos (I believe that is
currently 8gig but I need to clarify that).
Pages are currently in 'Beta'  and free but when they leave Beta there will
be a monthly fee of 2.99 USD per month.
Pages may be 'unofficial' or 'official' branding pages for legal entities -
by default pages will  UNOFFICIAL and there will be visible mark on Page
Info pages added by the MeWe service  unless the administrators fulfill
MeWe requirements for an official status. (final details on what those will
be are TTBOMK still being worked out)

This is getting rather long..so.

The site uses custom URLS on a first come first sever basis and I took the
liberty of reserving two by creating two pages: (don't click on them)

Category: Software
Website: libreoffice.org

*Page: https://mewe.com/p/libreoffice <https://mewe.com/p/libreoffice>*

Category: Science, Technology & Engineering
Website: documentfoundaiton.org
*Page: https://mewe.com/p/documentfoundation
<https://mewe.com/p/documentfoundation>*

Presently the pages are NOT PUBLISHED and only visible to two MeWe
accounts, mine and Sophie G (though she may not know that, but when she
connected with my account there I just added in as admin to both).

Group wise, there someone has already reserved a group under the name
LibreOfficeFR and there is a generic Open Source Office Suite group where
posts regarding LibreOffice have been going. That last group has not really
taken off user wise with only 159 members. Other groups however are picking
up users faster, for example a generic 'Open Source' group is pushing
towards 2,000 members and the arts based groups I tend to frequent are
building much faster.

At this point I would be interested to either open a LibreOffice Group or
Page and am interested in hearing peoples thoughts pro or con.

Best wishes,

Drew

ps if anyone wants to see those pages I can toggle them to published (and
back to unpublished later) but you would still need a MeWe account to see
them.

Best wishes,

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Social Media site MeWe and possible presence?

Hi Mike,

Last minute thought; I know but, if by any chance you used Google Takeout
to retrieve the Google Plus posts from the LO and/or TDF account pages and
(the big one) IF you picked JSON for the type data in the zip file created
there is a way to automatically load all the top level posts into MeWe
using a tool of their own creation. No idea if it could load to a Page vs
User Account but maybe that would be possible.

Anyway, thought I'd mention it.

Last minute because I don't know how much longer folks can pull G+ data via
Takeout.

Drew

toki toki

On 4/1/19 7:11 PM, Drew Jensen wrote:
> created an account over on the MeWe.com website following a number of folks

One _huge_ issue with MeWe is that it is based in the United States.

My understanding is that under US Case Law, the terms and conditions of
usage of a website are meaningless, irrelevant, and are to be
disregarded, in the event of bankruptcy, foreclosure, or any other
condition in which the sale of data is fiscally prudent. Unfortunately,
I no longer have the relevant case citations.

_The California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018_ (CCPA) does not provide
nearly as much in the way of personal data protection, as the EU GDPR.
Personally, I think that it provides less in the way of personal privacy
protection than the GDPR, but most of the material about it that I have
read, claim otherwise. Furthermore, it (CCPA) only comes into effect 1
January 2020, and then only if there are no court cases that need to be
completed.  As an additional kicker, individuals outside of California,
are excluded from its protection. Individuals residing within California
are also excluded, if certain conditions are met.

Whilst the GDPR is vague about both who, and where coverage applies,
European privacy enforcement agencies have uniformly said that the
location of the company that violates the GDPR doesn't matter, and that
they will use the local equivalent of long arm statutes, to enforce it.
(I think that the most recent harmonisation of the GDPR defined coverage
to included both citizens and residents. For the time being, Estonian
Digital Residents are excluded, unless they physically reside in the EU,
or an area in which the GDPR is the law of the land.)

I am not a lawyer.
This is not legal advice.

jonathon

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Social Media site MeWe and possible presence?

Thanks for the feedback Jonathon

IDK about simply being in the USA is a violation of GDPR, sounds a bit over
the top as far as an interpretation would go.

The service appears to do business in Eruope and supports a number of
languages for their UI:
English, 中文(简体), Deutsch, Español, 日本語, Français, Português, العربية,
Dansk, 한국어
are the ones listed. So I doubt the GDPR compliance is an unknown situation.

Drew

toki toki

On 4/1/19 11:00 PM, Drew Jensen wrote:
> IDK about simply being in the USA is a violation of GDPR, sounds a bit over
> the top as far as an interpretation would go.

I wasn't saying that being in the US is an automatic GDPR violation.
Rather, that being in the US means that the GDPR can be ignored.

> So I doubt the GDPR compliance is an unknown situation.

Whilst their TOS goes to great lengths to look like the GDPR applies,
their policies and practices page all but says that GDPR-related
requests will be ignored.

They are in compliance with the CCPA.

TL;DR
People in the US might join.
People in the EU won't join.
Both using the same rationale --- personal privacy protection.

jonathon

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Re: Social Media site MeWe and possible presence?

Hi Drew,

On 01/04/2019 21:58, Drew Jensen wrote:

> Last minute thought; I know but, if by any chance you used Google Takeout
> to retrieve the Google Plus posts from the LO and/or TDF account pages and
> (the big one) IF you picked JSON for the type data in the zip file created
> there is a way to automatically load all the top level posts into MeWe
> using a tool of their own creation. No idea if it could load to a Page vs
> User Account but maybe that would be possible.

Thanks for your help with the MeWe page. Regarding G+, Florian
(Effenberger) did a Google Takeout a few days ago, as he is the original
owner (as an admin, that option wasn't available to me). So we do have
the data, although Florian mentioned that it might be also combined with
his personal data/posts...

Cheers,
Mike

Mike Saunders Mike Saunders

Re: Social Media site MeWe and possible presence?

Hi Jarek,

On 02/04/2019 11:20, Jarek Paszkowski wrote:

> Can you remove me from this mailing list, please.

Instructions to remove are at the bottom of each email -- send a message to:

[hidden email]

Then follow the instructions in the reply to confirm your unsubscription.

Cheers,
Mike

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Social Media site MeWe and possible presence?

Howdy,

Comments in line

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 8:26 PM jonathon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4/1/19 11:00 PM, Drew Jensen wrote:
> > IDK about simply being in the USA is a violation of GDPR, sounds a bit
> over
> > the top as far as an interpretation would go.
>
> I wasn't saying that being in the US is an automatic GDPR violation.
> Rather, that being in the US means that the GDPR can be ignored.

> > So I doubt the GDPR compliance is an unknown situation.
>
> Whilst their TOS goes to great lengths to look like the GDPR applies,
> their policies and practices page all but says that GDPR-related
> requests will be ignored.
>
> They are in compliance with the CCPA.
>
> TL;DR
> People in the US might join.
> People in the EU won't join.

Anecdotally; looking at my contact list just now I see plenty of folks in
Europe (including: France, Austria, Denmark, Bulgaria, Spain, Romania and
Germany) though the majority are in the U.S.

I'm sure you are right in that for some folks it would be enough to
preclude their use.

> Both using the same rationale --- personal privacy protection.
>
> jonathon

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Social Media site MeWe and possible presence?

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 3:38 AM Mike Saunders <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Drew,
>
> On 01/04/2019 21:58, Drew Jensen wrote:
> >
> > Last minute thought; I know but, if by any chance you used Google Takeout
> > to retrieve the Google Plus posts from the LO and/or TDF account pages
> and
> > (the big one) IF you picked JSON for the type data in the zip file
> created
> > there is a way to automatically load all the top level posts into MeWe
> > using a tool of their own creation. No idea if it could load to a Page vs
> > User Account but maybe that would be possible.
>
> Thanks for your help with the MeWe page. Regarding G+, Florian
> (Effenberger) did a Google Takeout a few days ago, as he is the original
> owner (as an admin, that option wasn't available to me). So we do have
> the data, although Florian mentioned that it might be also combined with
> his personal data/posts...

well, that's a problem then.

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Social Media site MeWe and possible presence?

Howdy,

Well, the short version is I went ahead and Published a Document Foundation
Page on the service today.

Today's post was on the 6.2.3 release with link to blog announcement,
sharing that post twice; in a private group and on my public stream.

Currently there are three followers, Sophie G, Italo V and myself.

A page will not return in Mewe page search or page browser view until it
has minimum five followers.

So, if anyone reading this is using the service and wants to help get past
that first goal of five followers the page url is:
https://mewe.com/p/documentfoundation

That's good for a short version, huh..

Drew