Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Spencer Graves-2 Spencer Graves-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

Hello:  


          With LibreOffice 4.3.5.2 Spreadhseet under OS X.10.1, Tool -> Solver kills LibreOffice, reporting, "LibreOffice quit unexpectedly.  Click Reopen to open the application again.”  


          I get this in an empty spreadsheet and spreadsheets with serious optimization problems solved by Solver handily under Windows.  


          Suggestions?  
          Thanks,
          Spencer Graves


p.s.  



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

Le 17/01/2015 07:39, Spencer Graves a écrit :

Hi Spencer,


>  With LibreOffice 4.3.5.2 Spreadhseet under OS X.10.1, Tool -> Solver kills LibreOffice, reporting, "LibreOffice quit unexpectedly.  Click Reopen to open the application again.”  
>
>
>  I get this in an empty spreadsheet and spreadsheets with serious optimization problems solved by Solver handily under Windows.  
>
>
>  Suggestions?  

File a bug report. When you mention the word Solver under Windows, I
take it you are talking about the integrated solver in LibreOffice, and
not some separate app, or even Excel module ?


Alex


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Spencer Graves-2 Spencer Graves-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10


> On Jan 17, 2015, at 4:44 AM, Alex Thurgood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 17/01/2015 07:39, Spencer Graves a écrit :
>
> Hi Spencer,
>
>
>>  With LibreOffice 4.3.5.2 Spreadhseet under OS X.10.1, Tool -> Solver kills LibreOffice, reporting, "LibreOffice quit unexpectedly.  Click Reopen to open the application again.”  
>>
>>
>>  I get this in an empty spreadsheet and spreadsheets with serious optimization problems solved by Solver handily under Windows.  
>>
>>
>>  Suggestions?  
>
> File a bug report. When you mention the word Solver under Windows, I
> take it you are talking about the integrated solver in LibreOffice, and
> not some separate app, or even Excel module ?


I’m trying to use the standard “Solver” on the “Tools” menu in LibreOffice Spreadsheet.  It works with LO 4.3.4.1 under Windows 7 on a Fujitsu notebook.  However, with LO 4.3.5.2 under Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion, when I try to run the Solver, I get, “LibreOffice requires a Java runtime envoronment (JRE) to perform this task.  Please install a JRE and restart LibreOffice.”  I got that same message under OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite.  After I installed the latest JRE, LO told me it needed an older version, which I tried to install per its instructions.  Then I got the message reported above.  


Thanks for the reply.  I just tried to file a bug report with "https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/“ <https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/%E2%80%9C>, “Bug Submission Assistant”.  I got, "The BSA is currently broken. Please use https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED instead.”  I just tried to create an account there and am waiting for a confirmation email.  Is that broken also?  


Thanks,
Spencer  

>
>
> Alex
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Kolbjørn Stuestøl Kolbjørn Stuestøl
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

Den 17.01.2015 18:08, Spencer Graves skreiv:

>> On Jan 17, 2015, at 4:44 AM, Alex Thurgood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Le 17/01/2015 07:39, Spencer Graves a écrit :
>>
>> Hi Spencer,
>>
>>
>>>  With LibreOffice 4.3.5.2 Spreadhseet under OS X.10.1, Tool -> Solver kills LibreOffice, reporting, "LibreOffice quit unexpectedly.  Click Reopen to open the application again.”
>>>
>>>
>>>  I get this in an empty spreadsheet and spreadsheets with serious optimization problems solved by Solver handily under Windows.
>>>
>>>
>>>  Suggestions?
>> File a bug report. When you mention the word Solver under Windows, I
>> take it you are talking about the integrated solver in LibreOffice, and
>> not some separate app, or even Excel module ?
>
> I’m trying to use the standard “Solver” on the “Tools” menu in LibreOffice Spreadsheet.  It works with LO 4.3.4.1 under Windows 7 on a Fujitsu notebook.  However, with LO 4.3.5.2 under Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion, when I try to run the Solver, I get, “LibreOffice requires a Java runtime envoronment (JRE) to perform this task.  Please install a JRE and restart LibreOffice.”  I got that same message under OS X 10.10.1 Yosemite.  After I installed the latest JRE, LO told me it needed an older version, which I tried to install per its instructions.  Then I got the message reported above.
It seems to work fine with LibreOffice 4.4.0.0.alpha2 under Windows 7.
Not tried very properly.
(But not in my 4.3.5.2 version Windows 7. Same error message as you,
Spencer, gets).
Kolbjoern

>  
>
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I just tried to file a bug report with "https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/“ <https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/%E2%80%9C>, “Bug Submission Assistant”.  I got, "The BSA is currently broken. Please use https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED instead.”  I just tried to create an account there and am waiting for a confirmation email.  Is that broken also?
>
>
> Thanks,
> Spencer
>>
>> Alex
>>
>>
>> --
>> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
>> Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
>> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
>> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
>> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

In reply to this post by Spencer Graves-2
Le 17/01/2015 18:08, Spencer Graves a écrit :
>

On OSX 10.10.1, you will need to install AppleJavaforOSX (JDK 1.6),
preferably before you install Oracle Java 1.8.

You will also need to tell LO which JDK to use in the LO Preferences -
Java tab, and select 1.6.

Alex



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

In reply to this post by Spencer Graves-2
Le 17/01/2015 07:39, Spencer Graves a écrit :

Hi Spencer,


>
>
>  I get this in an empty spreadsheet and spreadsheets with serious optimization problems solved by Solver handily under Windows.  
>
>

I just get the spinning beachball with my master build 4500alpha on OSX
10.10.1 - however, as the app is unresponsive, I would have to kill it
forcibly to quit.


Please file a bug report.

Alex



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

In reply to this post by Spencer Graves-2
Le 17/01/2015 07:39, Spencer Graves a écrit :

Actually, there is already a bug report against Windows for the crashing :

bug 80680


Alex


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Spencer Graves-2 Spencer Graves-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

Hi, Alex:  


          Thanks for the replies.  


          Before I received your latest, I filed bug 88544.  I’ve received a reply asking, “Please specify Java version”, and noting that it “Works for me with version 4.3.6.0.0+”.  With my sample problem A1=1, A2=2, A3=(A1-A2)^2 asking Solver to minimize A3 by varying A1, the tester asked, What is the correct result? Lo 4.3.6 and 4.5 give different results.”  Answer:  A2 = 1 (or within some tolerance like 1e-8).  


                    1.  How do I find out (and set) which Java version it’s trying to use?  I found LO preferences but not a Java tab.  


                    2.  How can I get the “Solver for nonlinear programming extension” for OS X.10.1, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?  A search for it identified nothing for OS X.  What I found for Ubuntu seemed to want to download something else.  I can try the version for Ubuntu again, but I’m confused.  


                    3.  Are there standard instructions for installing multiple versions of LO in parallel on OS X?  I’d like to try LO 4.3.4.1, which worked for this under Windows 7, and maybe also 4.3.6 and 4.5, which the bug evaluator said gave different results.  


          Thanks,
          Spencer


> On Jan 19, 2015, at 8:58 AM, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 17/01/2015 07:39, Spencer Graves a écrit :
>
> Actually, there is already a bug report against Windows for the crashing :
>
> bug 80680
>
>
> Alex
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Alex Thurgood Alex Thurgood
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

Le 20/01/2015 02:27, Spencer Graves a écrit :

Hi Spencer,


>    1.  How do I find out (and set) which Java version it’s trying to use?  I found LO preferences but not a Java tab.  


You wil find it under

Preferences > Advanced


>
>
>    2.  How can I get the “Solver for nonlinear programming extension” for OS X.10.1, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?  A search for it identified nothing for OS X.  What I found for Ubuntu seemed to want to download something else.  I can try the version for Ubuntu again, but I’m confused.  


No idea - a quick search on the LibreOffice extensions site didn't bring
up anything relevant.


>
>    3.  Are there standard instructions for installing multiple versions of LO in parallel on OS X?  I’d like to try LO 4.3.4.1, which worked for this under Windows 7, and maybe also 4.3.6 and 4.5, which the bug evaluator said gave different results.  


Please read the whole page here :

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel/OS_X

At present, this is probably the most current information that I know
of. You will see that my suggestion of simply renaming the

/Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice

to the same name as the changed app bundle name is said to no longer
work. I must admit to not having investigated this thoroughly, as I only
tend to look at which extensions are / aren't installed, and as most of
these are the same for me whichever version of LibreOffice I'm using, it
doesn't make much of a difference.

Note that the wiki page refers to a path that points to /home/user. Of
course, this is wrong, there is no such folder on OSX.


Try the renaming technique I suggested, and see if it works for you.

Alex


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Spencer Graves-2 Spencer Graves-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

Hi, Alex et al.:  


          I finally installed LibreOffice 4.5, and the Solver worked there.  Thanks so much to all who replied to my requests for help on this — especially Alex, who filed several comments on this with Bug 80680 (and probably others) relating to this issue.  


          Installing LO 4.5 is not easy, because it’s still in the early stages of development.  I finally found in from the LO Dowloands Page -> Download: Development versions -> Nightly Builds:  Access the Nightly builds server here -> Master -> MacOSX-10.10@61/ -> 2015-02-05 00:36:56 (most recent date) -> *_x86-64.dmg.  


          Before installing LO 4.5, I tried 4.3.4.1, 4.3.6.1, and 4.4.0.2, all of which failed under OS X 10.10.1.  I started with 4.3.4.1, because that version worked for me under Windows 7.  Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me under OS X.  


          Thanks again,
          Spencer


> On Jan 20, 2015, at 1:36 AM, Alexander Thurgood <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 20/01/2015 02:27, Spencer Graves a écrit :
>
> Hi Spencer,
>
>
>>    1.  How do I find out (and set) which Java version it’s trying to use?  I found LO preferences but not a Java tab.  
>
>
> You wil find it under
>
> Preferences > Advanced
>
>
>>
>>
>>    2.  How can I get the “Solver for nonlinear programming extension” for OS X.10.1, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?  A search for it identified nothing for OS X.  What I found for Ubuntu seemed to want to download something else.  I can try the version for Ubuntu again, but I’m confused.  
>
>
> No idea - a quick search on the LibreOffice extensions site didn't bring
> up anything relevant.
>
>
>>
>>    3.  Are there standard instructions for installing multiple versions of LO in parallel on OS X?  I’d like to try LO 4.3.4.1, which worked for this under Windows 7, and maybe also 4.3.6 and 4.5, which the bug evaluator said gave different results.  
>
>
> Please read the whole page here :
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel/OS_X
>
> At present, this is probably the most current information that I know
> of. You will see that my suggestion of simply renaming the
>
> /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice
>
> to the same name as the changed app bundle name is said to no longer
> work. I must admit to not having investigated this thoroughly, as I only
> tend to look at which extensions are / aren't installed, and as most of
> these are the same for me whichever version of LibreOffice I'm using, it
> doesn't make much of a difference.
>
> Note that the wiki page refers to a path that points to /home/user. Of
> course, this is wrong, there is no such folder on OSX.
>
>
> Try the renaming technique I suggested, and see if it works for you.
>
> Alex
>
>
> --
> To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
> Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
> Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
> List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
sberg sberg
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Solver kills LiberOffice under Mac OS X.10

On 02/05/2015 09:08 PM, Spencer Graves wrote:
>  I finally installed LibreOffice 4.5, and the Solver worked there.  Thanks so much to all who replied to my requests for help on this — especially Alex, who filed several comments on this with Bug 80680 (and probably others) relating to this issue.
>
>
>  Installing LO 4.5 is not easy, because it’s still in the early stages of development.  I finally found in from the LO Dowloands Page -> Download: Development versions -> Nightly Builds:  Access the Nightly builds server here -> Master -> MacOSX-10.10@61/ -> 2015-02-05 00:36:56 (most recent date) -> *_x86-64.dmg.
>
>
>  Before installing LO 4.5, I tried 4.3.4.1, 4.3.6.1, and 4.4.0.2, all of which failed under OS X 10.10.1.  I started with 4.3.4.1, because that version worked for me under Windows 7.  Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me under OS X.

The fix for <https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=80370>
"Other: Crash when opening solver" will be included in 4.4.1 and 4.3.7
(though we'll likely miss 4.3.6).


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted