Some Ideation on LibreOffice Logo Improvements

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Some Ideation on LibreOffice Logo Improvements

Hi all,

I hope 2016 started great for all of you! To me, one topic for this new
year might be the question whether logo refinements would be beneficial
for LibreOffice. That calls for your input :-)

Historically, today's logo was prepared for the initial release of
LibO. To me, it worked quite well – but it also required compromises
(e.g. visual details vs. time constraints, embedded TDF subline for
marketing reasons). One of my early blog posts at [1] provides some
background info. Or, for a better overview, please browse the first
pages of “LibreOffice – The History...” at [2].

Today “LibreOffice” is a quite established brand – and it evolved
technically (e.g. LibreOffice Viewer for Android). So my aims for an
improved logo were:
* Achieve modern style (ideally, be timeless)
* Keep consistency (to established logo/brand)
* Clean-up visual structure (and prepare for various uses-cases)

Overview of the ideation (incl. variants, details and usage examples):
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/2/25/LibreOffice_LogoImprove
ments2016_Ideation.png

The page presenting selected graphics (incl. source SVG & references):
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:ChristophNoack/LogoImprovement
s2016

What are your initial thoughts, pros, cons, or ideas? I would really
appreciate your feedback - and your questions. And, if needed, I'll set
up a dedicated whiteboard for that topic ... Thanks!

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] http://luxate.blogspot.de/2010/10/few-days-ago-somebody-wrote-on.ht
ml

[2] http://www.vignoli.org/ftp/libreoffice-thehistorymaxi.pdf

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: Some Ideation on LibreOffice Logo Improvements

On Saturday, 23 January 2016 23:02:34 CET Christoph Noack wrote:
> What are your initial thoughts, pros, cons, or ideas? I would really
> appreciate your feedback - and your questions. And, if needed, I'll set
> up a dedicated whiteboard for that topic ...?Thanks!

The logo is perfect, especially in monochrome with the enlarged character
spacing for the TDF letters.
I'm not a fan of the bright green (the old branding color was nicer) in
particular combined with the white font. And the lemons could be attributed as
sour rather than fresh.  However, I'm not a designer, so don't care too much.
>From the UX POV the colored text in IconsInclMotif are questionable. In
particular the yellow is hard to read. And the green of the logo interferes
with Calc's green.
The wallpaper feels a little bit untidy and irritating. To me, the dog-ear
triangle from the logo without the page doesn't work. Last but not least the
bugs have a friendly but warning color, very nice. Maybe you can make the bugs
a little bit cuter, laydbugs perhaps? :-)

Cheers,
Heiko

kainz.a kainz.a

Re: Some Ideation on LibreOffice Logo Improvements

Heiko, same as I thought

thanks for your awesome work Christoph

Cheers
Andreas

> On Saturday, 23 January 2016 23:02:34 CET Christoph Noack wrote:
> > What are your initial thoughts, pros, cons, or ideas? I would really
> > appreciate your feedback - and your questions. And, if needed, I'll set
> > up a dedicated whiteboard for that topic ...?Thanks!
>
> The logo is perfect, especially in monochrome with the enlarged character
> spacing for the TDF letters.
> I'm not a fan of the bright green (the old branding color was nicer) in
> particular combined with the white font. And the lemons could be
> attributed as
> sour rather than fresh.  However, I'm not a designer, so don't care too
> much.
> From the UX POV the colored text in IconsInclMotif are questionable. In
> particular the yellow is hard to read. And the green of the logo interferes
> with Calc's green.
> The wallpaper feels a little bit untidy and irritating. To me, the dog-ear
> triangle from the logo without the page doesn't work. Last but not least
> the
> bugs have a friendly but warning color, very nice. Maybe you can make the
> bugs
> a little bit cuter, laydbugs perhaps? :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Heiko

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Some Ideation on LibreOffice Logo Improvements

Hi Heiko,

thanks for the fast and concise feedback :-)

@ all: Since the links didn't survive the formatting in my previous
mail, here is another attempt (for overview and user page):

Am Samstag, den 23.01.2016, 23:45 +0100 schrieb Heiko Tietze:
> On Saturday, 23 January 2016 23:02:34 CET Christoph Noack wrote:
> > What are your initial thoughts, pros, cons, or ideas? [...]
>
> The logo is perfect, especially in monochrome with the enlarged
> character spacing for the TDF letters.
> I'm not a fan of the bright green (the old branding color was nicer)
> in particular combined with the white font.

You're talking about the splash, right? Yes, I've spend most of the
time iterating the logo variants and (first) module symbols. Then I
started building other graphics - e.g. the splash. There I picked a
slightly brighter green from the LibO palette. It seems that it is
still hard to choose a green tone that is both "fresh" and friendly to
the eyes (with regard to color reproduction on different displays). Got
it, needs some refinement :-)

What's your impression with regard to the green in the colored "Libre"
in separate logo?

> And the lemons could be attributed as sour rather than
> fresh.  However, I'm not a designer, so don't care too much.

That was just an idea when I worked on the splash - you've totally got
the message. Working with new features of LibreOffice Fresh sometimes
is slightly sour. (We need to add sugar.)

> > From the UX POV the colored text in IconsInclMotif are
> > questionable. In particular the yellow is hard to read. And the
> > green of the logo interferes with Calc's green.

Agreed. The text was temporarily added to explain the module symbols -
I altered the yellow a bit (one step darker according LibO branding).
For any real use (website, print material) it might need further
tweaking.

What do you (all) think about the module symbols? I tried to simplify
the current ones whilst keeping the metaphor. Now monochrome, they
should be more versatile - even if visually adapted for other use cases
(or used with "modern" UI designs, e.g. when used on tiles). For better
evaluation, I've added separate symbols to the source/overview files.

The "LibO green" vs. "Calc green" issue was tricky from the beginning -
I wanted to use some color on the main logo. There has been feedback
(on the lists, in bug 96835) that the gray LibO logo is too similar to
other document icons (in small size). Thus, I used a different
background shape and made the logo larger / the green darker (in
comparison to Calc). Maybe not yet sufficient ... although I'm unaware
of any OS where the LibO and Calc icons are used in parallel (please
correct me, if I'm wrong). Any other ideas?

> The wallpaper feels a little bit untidy and irritating. To me, the
> dog-ear triangle from the logo without the page doesn't work.

Do you mean the triangle used as background pattern (=motif)?

> Last but not least the bugs have a friendly but warning color, very
> nice. Maybe you can make the bugs a little bit cuter, laydbugs
> perhaps? :-)

Phew ... even more cute? ;-) Maybe someone could lend me a hand and
give it a try?

> Cheers,
> > Heiko

Again, thanks for the clear feedback! Any further opinions?

PS: Currently I do stick to the LibO color palette, although it might
need improvements as well. One step at a time :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

Heiko Tietze-2 Heiko Tietze-2

Re: Some Ideation on LibreOffice Logo Improvements

To me, design is all about analysis and structure, and less of creativity.
You tell a story with graphics and illustration instead of the text. And
the question is rather what story we want to tell. The UX guys call this a
"vision" [1] :-)

Some ideas for the marketing people:

Libreoffice is
* Easy to use (Illustrated with polygonal lines in b/w)
* Professional (Indicated by the letter-spacing)
* User-centered (Dog-ears as in normal life)
* Versatile (The logo could be enhanced with brush strokes in our rainbow
colors; Looking through Google images after search for 'brush stroke
rainbow' we could also show some history in the rainbow stroke coming from
a less colored world. Or whatever, actually its just the turbulence that is
like)

Sharp corners and flat design could be understood as modern, whilst the
logo today has round edges (like) and an embossed effect (dislike),
attributable as old-school. Is this intentional? Or is my interpretation
wrong.

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/HIG_foundations#Vision

BTW: I miss Math in the splash logo. Its color never blended well with the
others, maybe that was the reason for you to omit it here.

> [...]
> of any OS where the LibO and Calc icons are used in parallel (please
> correct me, if I'm wrong). Any other ideas?
>
> > The wallpaper feels a little bit untidy and irritating. To me, the
> > dog-ear triangle from the logo without the page doesn't work.
>
> Do you mean the triangle used as background pattern (=motif)?
>

> > Last but not least the bugs have a friendly but warning color, very
> > nice. Maybe you can make the bugs a little bit cuter, laydbugs
> > perhaps? :-)
>
> Phew ... even more cute? ;-) Maybe someone could lend me a hand and
> give it a try?
>
> > Cheers,
> > > Heiko
>
> Again, thanks for the clear feedback! Any further opinions?
>
> PS: Currently I do stick to the LibO color palette, although it might
> need improvements as well. One step at a time :-)

Christophe Strobbe-2 Christophe Strobbe-2

Contrast issues (was: Some Ideation on LibreOffice Logo Improvements)

On 23/01/2016 23:45, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 January 2016 23:02:34 CET Christoph Noack wrote:
>> What are your initial thoughts, pros, cons, or ideas? I would really
>> appreciate your feedback - and your questions. And, if needed, I'll set
>> up a dedicated whiteboard for that topic ...?Thanks!
> The logo is perfect, especially in monochrome with the enlarged character
> spacing for the TDF letters.
> I'm not a fan of the bright green (the old branding color was nicer) in
> particular combined with the white font. And the lemons could be attributed as
> sour rather than fresh.

There are contrast issues in some of the logos at
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/2/25/LibreOffice_LogoImprovements2016_Ideation.png>.
(The criterion is use for contrast comes from Success Criterion 1.4.3 in
the W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0:
<https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#visual-audio-contrast-contrast>.
I used the Colour Contrast Analyser from
<https://www.paciellogroup.com/resources/contrastanalyser/> to check the
contrast.)

For example, in the logos above the first horizontal line:
* in the logo with the green background, the contrast varies on where
you check (due to the gradient):
** close to the "L": #FFFFFF on #36B923: contrast ratio of 2.59 to 1
** close to the other end of the name: #FFFFFF on #18A203: contrast
ratio of 3.38 to 1
* in the logo with the grey background, the contrast is OK: #FFFFFF on
#666666: contrast ratio of 5.74 to 1

The green letters on a white background also have insufficient contrast.
(Unfortunately, I can't continue checking; the image with the logos no
longer diplays in my browser.)

This is obviously not a new issue. For example, the splash screen in
LibreOffice 4.0.4.2 (the version on my PC) also has white text on a
green background with a contrast ratio of 2.86 to 1, which is much too
low, even for big letters.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter

“It is possible to make a living making free software for freedom
instead of closed-source proprietary malware for cops.”
Jacob Appelbaum,
<http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/28/jacob-appelbaum-on-resisting-the-surveillance-state/>

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Contrast issues (was: Some Ideation on LibreOffice Logo Improvements)

Hi Christophe,

cool - thanks for the first check! And, before I continue: HDM? Then it
should easily be possible to meet some day :-)

Am Montag, den 25.01.2016, 16:18 +0100 schrieb Christophe Strobbe:
> On 23/01/2016 23:45, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> > On Saturday, 23 January 2016 23:02:34 CET Christoph Noack wrote:
> > > What are your initial thoughts, pros, cons, or ideas? I would
> > > really
> > > appreciate your feedback - and your questions. And, if needed,
> > > I'll set
> > > up a dedicated whiteboard for that topic ...?Thanks!
[...]

> There are contrast issues in some of the logos at
> <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/2/25/LibreOffice_LogoImpr
> ovements2016_Ideation.png>.
> (The criterion is use for contrast comes from Success Criterion 1.4.3
> in
> the W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0:
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#visual-audio-contras
> t-contrast>.
> I used the Colour Contrast Analyser from
> <https://www.paciellogroup.com/resources/contrastanalyser/> to check
> the
> contrast.)

Thanks! In the past I've used The Gimp for checking against e.g. color
blindness issues (e.g. for the Writer's notes colors) - I didn't check
color contrast yet. So I did a quick search but wasn't able to find a
suitable tool for Linux (Gnome) - just a few websites implementing the
algorithm. Do you have any hint what tool might just work for my
environment?

> For example, in the logos above the first horizontal line:
> * in the logo with the green background, the contrast varies on where
> you check (due to the gradient):
> ** close to the "L": #FFFFFF on #36B923: contrast ratio of 2.59 to 1
> ** close to the other end of the name: #FFFFFF on #18A203: contrast
> ratio of 3.38 to 1
> * in the logo with the grey background, the contrast is OK: #FFFFFF
> on
> #666666: contrast ratio of 5.74 to 1

Again, thanks for the hints. I will consider that for the next
iteration.

> The green letters on a white background also have insufficient
> contrast.

Do you refer to the colored version of the LibreOffice logo (dark gray
/ green)?

Cheers,
Christoph

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Some Ideation on LibreOffice Logo Improvements

Hi Heiko, all!

Am Montag, den 25.01.2016, 14:45 +0100 schrieb Heiko Tietze:
> To me, design is all about analysis and structure, and less of
> creativity. You tell a story with graphics and illustration instead
> of the text. And the question is rather what story we want to tell.
> The UX guys call this a "vision" [1] :-)

I'd like to object (a bit) :-) Even Mechanical Engineering is about
designing something - after analyzing the problem (requirements /
constraints / context) it still needs some creativity and experience to
deliver good solutions. Of course, it also needs testing (and I
currently consider our discussions as expert reviews I do highly
appreciate). Now then...

> Some ideas for the marketing people:
>
> Libreoffice is
> * Easy to use (Illustrated with polygonal lines in b/w)
> * Professional (Indicated by the letter-spacing)
> * User-centered (Dog-ears as in normal life)
> * Versatile (The logo could be enhanced with brush strokes in our
> rainbow colors; Looking through Google images after search for 'brush
> stroke rainbow' we could also show some history in the rainbow stroke
> coming from a less colored world. Or whatever, actually its just the
> turbulence that is like)

Sorry, I'm a bit lost - are these proposals how marketing guys might
describe the logo, or does this directly to the HIG foundations at [1]?

If you like to know more about the requirements / constraints I had in
mind, I can provide some explanations.

> [1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/HIG_foundations#Vision

> Sharp corners and flat design could be understood as modern, whilst
> the logo today has round edges (like) and an embossed effect
> (dislike), attributable as old-school. Is this intentional? Or is my
> interpretation wrong.

From the beginning, the basic logo was available in several versions -
e.g. black/white, color, and contemporary (see branding at [2]). So
indeed, the contemporary version (embossed) is clearly outdated now.

Apart from the color / effects, there have been two different versions
of the logo (TDF official and community) - unfortunate to work with.
Addressing this issue allowed to also touch-up the document logo which
is now more "edgy" and has a different aspect ratio - so yes, right
interpretation. Plus improvements in: spacing, alignment, ...

[2] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding

> BTW: I miss Math in the splash logo. Its color never blended well
> with the others, maybe that was the reason for you to omit it here.

Somehow yes, somehow no. The first question is whether Math is to be
considered a core module as e.g. Writer.

In the initial icon set (see [3] for info and sources) I considered it
to be a supplemental module like Chart - and that led to:
 * LibO Main: Gray (proposed: white on dark green background)
 * LibO Core Module: Color (equals competition)
 * LibO Supplemental Module (e.g. Chart, Macros, ...): Gray + Slight
   Color for module icon (proposed: not yet defined)

So, how to treat the modules? Is there any reference for that? In any
case, I will start working on the symbols for these extra modules...

[3] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/LibreOffice_Initial_Icons

Have a nice evening!
Christoph

On Monday, 25 January 2016 23:41:45 CET Christoph Noack wrote:
> Sorry, I'm a bit lost - are these proposals how marketing guys might
> describe the logo, or does this directly to the HIG foundations at [1]?

> If you like to know more about the requirements / constraints I had in
> mind, I can provide some explanations.
It was an attempt to add a different facet to the discussion and to give
others the opportunity to join.

> > BTW: I miss Math in the splash logo. Its color never blended well
> > with the others, maybe that was the reason for you to omit it here.
>
> Somehow yes, somehow no. The first question is whether Math is to be
> considered a core module as e.g. Writer.
>
> In the initial icon set (see [3] for info and sources) I considered it
> to be a supplemental module like Chart - and that led to:
>  * LibO Main: Gray (proposed: white on dark green background)
>  * LibO Core Module: Color (equals competition)
>  * LibO Supplemental Module (e.g. Chart, Macros, ...): Gray + Slight
>    Color for module icon (proposed: not yet defined)
>
> So, how to treat the modules? Is there any reference for that? In any
> case, I will start working on the symbols for these extra modules...
>
> [3] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/LibreOffice_Initi
> al_Icons
Placing all five icons in a row looks like a rainbow where Draw and Base are
treated as core modules. In [3] at Present State of the Icon Design the
supplemental modules have a separate row.
If we want to change the color of Math the rainbow spectrum offers orange or
pink. But maybe the ochre from Draw was created as a mix of Writer's blue and
Calc's green, and the purple as blue/red. So Math could be one of the other
combinations.
BTW, those icons are perfect, at their size. The main logo is a litttle bit
boring without any content what could be solved by the rainbow brush stroke
that I suggested. To not loose the idea in all the text ;-)

Christophe Strobbe-2 Christophe Strobbe-2

Re: Contrast issues

Hi Christoph,

On 25/01/2016 22:40, Christoph Noack wrote:
> Hi Christophe,
>
> cool - thanks for the first check! And, before I continue: HDM? Then it
> should easily be possible to meet some day :-)

That would be nice.
I think we met at the first LibreOffice conference in Paris in 2010.
If you are going to FOSDEM this weekend, I will be making a presentation
about accessibility in the design devroom on Saturday.
Otherwise, we can meet up in Stuttgart.

> Am Montag, den 25.01.2016, 16:18 +0100 schrieb Christophe Strobbe:
> [...]
>> There are contrast issues in some of the logos at
>> <https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/2/25/LibreOffice_LogoImpr
>> ovements2016_Ideation.png>.
>> (The criterion is use for contrast comes from Success Criterion 1.4.3
>> in
>> the W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0:
>> <https://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-WCAG20-20081211/#visual-audio-contras
>> t-contrast>.
>> I used the Colour Contrast Analyser from
>> <https://www.paciellogroup.com/resources/contrastanalyser/> to check
>> the
>> contrast.)
> Thanks! In the past I've used The Gimp for checking against e.g. color
> blindness issues (e.g. for the Writer's notes colors) - I didn't check
> color contrast yet. So I did a quick search but wasn't able to find a
> suitable tool for Linux (Gnome) - just a few websites implementing the
> algorithm. Do you have any hint what tool might just work for my
> environment?

That's the problem with contrast checkers (see my short list at
<http://cstrobbe.github.io/AccessibilityResources/WebAccessibilityTools.html#contrastcheck>):
many of them assume that you have the colour codes available, which is
OK if you are working on a design but not ideal for third parties who do
accessibility evaluations.
On Linux, there used to be a GIMP plugin: "Color Vision Deficiency"
<http://registry.gimp.org/node/24885>, but I don't know if it is
compatible with current versions of GIMP.

>> For example, in the logos above the first horizontal line:
>> * in the logo with the green background, the contrast varies on where
>> you check (due to the gradient):
>> ** close to the "L": #FFFFFF on #36B923: contrast ratio of 2.59 to 1
>> ** close to the other end of the name: #FFFFFF on #18A203: contrast
>> ratio of 3.38 to 1
>> * in the logo with the grey background, the contrast is OK: #FFFFFF
>> on
>> #666666: contrast ratio of 5.74 to 1
> Again, thanks for the hints. I will consider that for the next
> iteration.
>
>> The green letters on a white background also have insufficient
>> contrast.
> Do you refer to the colored version of the LibreOffice logo (dark gray
> / green)?

The coloured logos at the top with "Libre" in green and "Office" in grey
have insufficient contrast in the green part (even in the darkest part
of the gradient) but sufficient contrast in the grey part. So it's
obviously not an issue that you can just "eyeball"; without a tool, it's
hard to see what fails and what passes.

The pink colour that is used in some of the logo variants (for strings
like "platform" and "other information & events") has the colour code
#FF00FF and this also provides insufficient contrast against the white
background. The colour would be fine for bold 18 pt text, but not for
the current size and weight.

Let me know if you want me to test more samples.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter
Responsive Media Experience Research Group (REMEX)
Hochschule der Medien
Nobelstraße 10
70569 Stuttgart
Tel. +49 711 8923 2749

“It is possible to make a living making free software for freedom
instead of closed-source proprietary malware for cops.”
Jacob Appelbaum,
<http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2012/12/28/jacob-appelbaum-on-resisting-the-surveillance-state/>

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Contrast issues

Hi Christophe, Heiko, all!

To make it short - thanks for your valuable feedback. I started to work
on the contrast issue and also the missing symbols. Albeit not yet
perfect, you may have a look at the update:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/d/d5/LibreOffice_LogoImprovements2016_Ideation_IconsInclMotif.png

Details:
 * The picture above is still meant to present how some basic elements
   could look like (e.g. logo, symbols, colors, motif)
 * Updated contrast and colors (worst case causes a local contrast
   ratio of about 2.7, in general its much better - still working on
   it)
 * Updated pixel alignment and thus sharpness / clarity (symbols and
   parts of the logo are now aligned to real pixels)
 * Added symbols for additional modules (some of them still need
   improvement, but it is a start ...)
 * I did not update the source SVG and PNG yet ... so there is quite
   some stuff missing (I just need a bit more spare time *g*)

Comments?

And...

Am Dienstag, den 26.01.2016, 12:01 +0100 schrieb Christophe Strobbe:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> On 25/01/2016 22:40, Christoph Noack wrote:
> > Hi Christophe,
[...]

> > [...]

> The pink colour that is used in some of the logo variants (for
> strings like "platform" and "other information & events") has the
> colour code #FF00FF and this also provides insufficient contrast
> against the white background. The colour would be fine for bold 18 pt
> text, but not for the current size and weight.

The pink color is meant as placeholder - the content itself (e.g.
version number of LibO) shall use the "usual" colors (as presented in
the example next to the placeholder version). However, next step is to
have a look at the colored versions of the LibreOffice logo.

> Let me know if you want me to test more samples.

Thanks for your kind offer. I'll try to improve and then it would be
great to have you looking at it.

Have a nice evening!
Christoph

V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Contrast issues

Christoph,

I like it!  Each module would be well served with your proposals.

But, folks will ask after the icon to be used for the primary desktop launcher.  Seems to be missing, but think you'd suggested that as well on your "Ideation" page.  Here is a clip:

green body icon for primary LibreOffice launcher

Stuart

=-ref-=