Spain's Extremadura starts switch of 40, 000 government PCs to open source

Danishka Navin Danishka Navin

Spain's Extremadura starts switch of 40, 000 government PCs to open source

"The government of Spain's autonomous region of Extremadura has begun the
switch to open source of it desktop PCs. The government expects the
majority of its 40,000 PCs to be migrated this year, the region's CIO
Theodomir Cayetano announced on 18 April. Extremadura estimates that the
move to open source will help save 30 million euro per year."

https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/spains-extremadura-starts-switch-40000-government-pcs-open-source

Can we expect 40,000 desktops with the LibreOffice? :-/

--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Spain's Extremadura starts switch of 40, 000 government PCs to open source

Le 30/04/13 08:42 AM, Danishka Navin a écrit :

> "The government of Spain's autonomous region of Extremadura has begun the
> switch to open source of it desktop PCs. The government expects the
> majority of its 40,000 PCs to be migrated this year, the region's CIO
> Theodomir Cayetano announced on 18 April. Extremadura estimates that the
> move to open source will help save 30 million euro per year."
>
> https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/spains-extremadura-starts-switch-40000-government-pcs-open-source
>
> Can we expect 40,000 desktops with the LibreOffice? :-/

If on Linux, most likely yes! That is extremely good news. We should
contact them to suggest that LibreOffice would be a nice addition to
their systems.

And also blog about this to remind other governments who may be planning
to go opensource that the best match to their migration is LibreOffice.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré
[hidden email]

italovignoli italovignoli

On 4/30/13 3:44 PM, Marc Paré wrote:

> If on Linux, most likely yes! That is extremely good news. We should
> contact them to suggest that LibreOffice would be a nice addition to
> their systems.

They are mostly on Linux, but also the Windows desktops will have
LibreOffice. I am in touch with their Deputy CEO, who has been attending
my speech at POSSCON.

> And also blog about this to remind other governments who may be planning
> to go opensource that the best match to their migration is LibreOffice.

Worth mentioning the migration in our next announcement press release,
although I need their approval.

--
Italo Vignoli - [hidden email]
mob +39.348.5653829 - VoIP [hidden email]

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
Tom Tom

Re: Spain's Extremadura starts switch of 40, 000 government PCs to open source

Extremadura developed a distro called LinEx which had LibreOffice by default.  I suspect their "Sysgobex" is just a rebranding of LinEx.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=linex

Most of the other Spanish governments use Ubuntu-based distros although i think one used a version of Arch.  Errr, those in the US might understand the different Spanish governments as "States".  I think that is the nearest approximation that is easy to understand.  I think Spain has 5?

>________________________________

Fabián Rodríguez-3 Fabián Rodríguez-3

Re: Spain's Extremadura starts switch of 40, 000 government PCs to open source

krackedpress krackedpress

On 05/01/2013 10:52 PM, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

> On 2013-04-30 08:42, Danishka Navin wrote:
>> "The government of Spain's autonomous region of Extremadura has
>> begun the switch to open source of it desktop PCs. The government
>> expects the majority of its 40,000 PCs to be migrated this year,
>> the region's CIO Theodomir Cayetano announced on 18 April.
>> Extremadura estimates that the move to open source will help save
>> 30 million euro per year."
>>
>> https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/community/osor/news/spains-extremadura-starts-switch-40000-government-pcs-open-source
>>
>>   Can we expect 40,000 desktops with the LibreOffice? :-/
>>

> This is a really important announcement and as such I wanted to make
> sure everybody got these details right.
>
> I downloaded and tried the Linex ISO image which is the basis for this
> deployment. The current version dates from just February.
>
> It's based on Debian 7 (which is about to be released this weekend),
> and as such it features LibreOffice 3.5.4:
> http://pix.toile-libre.org/upload/original/1367462998.png
>
> I hope that's useful if/when this deployment is mentioned in the TDF /
> LibreOffice material.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fabian
>
> - --
> Fabián Rodríguez

Fabián, you are saying that these 40,000 PCs would use Linux and
LibreOffice, instead of Windows and MS Office?

That would be great.  I was talking to a manager who flatly stated that
MSO is to ingrained into our society for LO to be successful at all.  I
told her that various governments and large businesses world wide are
switching to open source options, like LibreOffice and dropping MSO.  I
also told her that the European office suite market is embracing the
switch from MS software to open source software especially switching
from MSO to LO for their office suite needs. That is Europe and it would
not ever happen in the US, is roughly what she stated in a long
"rebuttal" she gave me gave me.

I still would love to see a list of these governments [national,
regional, local] and the large businesses, hospitals, and such, that are
switching to LO.  With a printable list that has all the "large user
groups" listed in an easy to read outline list.  Then we can "quote"
that document and show a potential business user/manager all of the
governments, businesses, and other large organizations, that switched to
LO and dropped MSO.  If we can show this type of itemized list/outline
as part of our marketing efforts, then we could have something showing
that other businesses/governments/organizations have switched.

40,000 PCs here, 30,000 there, whole city/regional/national government
PCs numbering from 1,000 to 100,000 users.  Showing published numbers
and totals helps.  I bet if someone added up the numbers [or estimates
for the organizations and such], would add up to over 1+ million PCs
conversions to LO and open source over MS products.  If you add all the
numbers, in the articles, from the start of TDF/LO, it could actually be
several millions.

Showing that world wide there have been one or several million PCs/users
switching to LO would be a real help for local/community marketing.

I am really glad that Fabián let us know about the Spanish region that
is switching.  We need to see more of that. Yet we really need a list
somewhere reflecting these articles and the numbers.

Thanks Fabián.

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Spain's Extremadura starts switch of 40, 000 government PCs to open source

Hello Tim,

Le jeudi 02 mai 2013 à 09:25 -0400, Kracked_P_P---webmaster a écrit :

> [...]
> that other businesses/governments/organizations have switched.
>
> 40,000 PCs here, 30,000 there, whole city/regional/national government
> PCs numbering from 1,000 to 100,000 users.  Showing published numbers
> and totals helps.  I bet if someone added up the numbers [or estimates
> for the organizations and such], would add up to over 1+ million PCs
> conversions to LO and open source over MS products.  If you add all the
> numbers, in the articles, from the start of TDF/LO, it could actually be
> several millions.
>
> Showing that world wide there have been one or several million PCs/users
> switching to LO would be a real help for local/community marketing.
>
> I am really glad that Fabián let us know about the Spanish region that
> is switching.  We need to see more of that. Yet we really need a list
> somewhere reflecting these articles and the numbers.

While it's true that these migrations are not happening in North
America, have you ever heard of the city of Largo, Florida? They moved
to OOo first and then to LibreOffice. It's not a small town (okay, it's
not Miami either) and you may also want to take a look there.

Best,

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-Founder & Director, The Document Foundation,

On 2013-05-02 09:25, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
> Fabián, you are saying that these 40,000 PCs would use Linux and
> LibreOffice, instead of Windows and MS Office?

According to the article, yes. I am just confirming what I saw.

I also visited the Andalucía region and it's the same scenario there.
That was *in 2007*.

> I am really glad that Fabián let us know about the Spanish region that
> is switching.  We need to see more of that. Yet we really need a list
> somewhere reflecting these articles and the numbers.

White paper / use cases from the commercial support companies behind
GNU/Linux and those listed for LibreOffice (where is that list again)
should help.

Not every company thinks about writing those and making them public, though.

F.

--
Fabián Rodríguez
http://libreoffice.magicfab.ca

On 05/02/2013 09:34 AM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> [...]
>> for the organizations and such], would add up to over 1+ million PCs
>> conversions to LO and open source over MS products.  If you add all the
>> numbers, in the articles, from the start of TDF/LO, it could actually be
>> several millions.
>>
>> Showing that world wide there have been one or several million PCs/users
>> switching to LO would be a real help for local/community marketing.
>>
>> I am really glad that Fabián let us know about the Spanish region that
>> is switching.  We need to see more of that. Yet we really need a list
>> somewhere reflecting these articles and the numbers.
>>

> While it's true that these migrations are not happening in North
> America, have you ever heard of the city of Largo, Florida? They moved
> to OOo first and then to LibreOffice. It's not a small town (okay, it's
> not Miami either) and you may also want to take a look there.

I have heard of that city/town, I think.  I live in New Your State, but
I was down near Orlando and Miami area about 23 years ago.

I did not hear of their switching.  That is why I would love to see a
listing of these communities, businesses, and governments, so we can
have it in our hands as a marketing tool.  Having it organized by
country, then you can go directly to the USA, Canadian, Italian, etc.,
sections of the list to show "who" switched in your region of the world.

My city, Elmira, is the county seat, so we have city and county
governments within a mile or two of my apartment.  Though we are called
a city, there are between 40 and 50 thousand residents living here
depending on who you get the information from.  Except for a few [tall
building of apartments, government offices, and one bank, none are more
than 11 stories tall.  The rest are no more that 3 floors and most are
not more than 2.  We were an farm based region that is now mostly
factories and retail stores and support centers/warehouses.

I know that the City of Elmira is using some open source packages, but
not LO, and I know that the County Manager liked the idea of LibreOffice
when I had a chance to talk to him back in the 3.4 days. Would like to
get with him again to show what 4.0.x can do.

On 05/02/2013 10:03 AM, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

> On 2013-05-02 09:25, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
>> Fabián, you are saying that these 40,000 PCs would use Linux and
>> LibreOffice, instead of Windows and MS Office?
> According to the article, yes. I am just confirming what I saw.
>
> I also visited the Andalucía region and it's the same scenario there.
> That was *in 2007*.
>
>> I am really glad that Fabián let us know about the Spanish region that
>> is switching.  We need to see more of that. Yet we really need a list
>> somewhere reflecting these articles and the numbers.
> White paper / use cases from the commercial support companies behind
> GNU/Linux and those listed for LibreOffice (where is that list again)
> should help.
>
> Not every company thinks about writing those and making them public, though.
>
> F.

Do you agree with me about having a list of "known" articles and making
an "outline" style of list showing the governments, businesses, etc.,
who switched?  The would be much easier that telling the potential user,
or manager, to go online and "Google" for articles and/or go to one of
LO's pages for a list of articles.

I do not have the time and such to search for all of these articles and
white papers for the information.  It would be a good idea of having a
wiki page set up where a "poster" would list the
organization name and location
number of PCs if known
a few sentences about the organization, business, government [maybe]
the URL where the info was published

all organized by country.

I know there is a page that list articles by region, but it does not
help with a quick look at the who and how many have switched.

Benjamin Horst Benjamin Horst

On May 2, 2013, at 10:38 AM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/02/2013 10:03 AM, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
>> On 2013-05-02 09:25, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
>>> Fabián, you are saying that these 40,000 PCs would use Linux and
>>> LibreOffice, instead of Windows and MS Office?
>> According to the article, yes. I am just confirming what I saw.
>>
>> I also visited the Andalucía region and it's the same scenario there.
>> That was *in 2007*.
>>
>>> I am really glad that Fabián let us know about the Spanish region that
>>> is switching.  We need to see more of that. Yet we really need a list
>>> somewhere reflecting these articles and the numbers.
>> White paper / use cases from the commercial support companies behind
>> GNU/Linux and those listed for LibreOffice (where is that list again)
>> should help.
>>
>> Not every company thinks about writing those and making them public, though.
>>
>> F.
>
> Do you agree with me about having a list of "known" articles and making an "outline" style of list showing the governments, businesses, etc., who switched?  The would be much easier that telling the potential user, or manager, to go online and "Google" for articles and/or go to one of LO's pages for a list of articles.
>
> I do not have the time and such to search for all of these articles and white papers for the information.  It would be a good idea of having a wiki page set up where a "poster" would list the
> organization name and location
> number of PCs if known
> a few sentences about the organization, business, government [maybe]
> the URL where the info was published
>
> all organized by country.
>
> I know there is a page that list articles by region, but it does not help with a quick look at the who and how many have switched.

I helped maintain this page a few years ago. It should provide a good starting point for what you need-- http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments

-Ben

Benjamin Horst
[hidden email]
646-464-2314 (Eastern)
www.solidoffice.com

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Spain's Extremadura starts switch of 40, 000 government PCs to open source

Tim,

Kracked_P_P---webmaster <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>On 05/02/2013 10:03 AM, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
>> On 2013-05-02 09:25, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
>>> Fabián, you are saying that these 40,000 PCs would use Linux and
>>> LibreOffice, instead of Windows and MS Office?
>> According to the article, yes. I am just confirming what I saw.
>>
>> I also visited the Andalucía region and it's the same scenario there.
>> That was *in 2007*.
>>
>>> I am really glad that Fabián let us know about the Spanish region
>that
>>> is switching.  We need to see more of that. Yet we really need a
>list
>>> somewhere reflecting these articles and the numbers.
>> White paper / use cases from the commercial support companies behind
>> GNU/Linux and those listed for LibreOffice (where is that list again)
>> should help.
>>
>> Not every company thinks about writing those and making them public,
>though.
>>
>> F.
>
>Do you agree with me about having a list of "known" articles and making
>
>an "outline" style of list showing the governments, businesses, etc.,
>who switched?  The would be much easier that telling the potential
>user,
>or manager, to go online and "Google" for articles and/or go to one of
>LO's pages for a list of articles.
>
>I do not have the time and such to search for all of these articles and
>
>white papers for the information.  It would be a good idea of having a
>wiki page set up where a "poster" would list the
>organization name and location
>number of PCs if known
>a few sentences about the organization, business, government [maybe]
>the URL where the info was published
>
>all organized by country.
>
>I know there is a page that list articles by region, but it does not
>help with a quick look at the who and how many have switched.

+1. Go ahead. Remember there is an outdated list on the old OOo wiki.

Best,

Charles.

>--
>deleted

marcpare4 marcpare4

[ACTION ITEM] Major Deployments wiki Page for LibreOffice

I am just tagging this as an action item ... ahem ... for that
"Marketing Easy Hacks" page that I'll get to soon.

Marc

--
Marc Paré
[hidden email]

Tom Tom

Re: Spain's Extremadura starts switch of 40, 000 government PCs to open source

I get the impression that all 5 areas use Gnu&Linux (and therefore probably LibreOffice) already in some areas.

So i suspect this is not so much a switch away from MS Windows and MS Office but more a consolidation onto LibreOffice.  So, not a trial period or bunch of noobs with no experience but a follow-through due to LibreOffice having  proven itself better through being used in those places.  It's not people flailing around desperately seeking a new answer that may fall for FUD and switch again and again.  it's a strong move in a determined direction after long testing and long-term experience.  It's a solid move.

I think that makes a stronger case for celebration

Tom Tom

Re: Spain's Extremadura starts switch of 40, 000 government PCs to open source

Good work on this!

Thanks for letting the list know