Split cells in Calc

Pat Brown Pat Brown

Split cells in Calc

Hi Guys,
   Is there any way to split a primary (one that has not been 'merged'
previously) cell?  I can't seem to find such an option. If there is no
current option then is it technically possible to do so?

Paddy

Nino Nino

Re: Split cells in Calc

Pat,

why do you need to split a cell? What data does it contain and what do you
need to do with these data?

Nino

Am 10.08.2014 13:25, schrieb Pat Brown:
> Hi Guys,
>    Is there any way to split a primary (one that has not been 'merged'
> previously) cell?  I can't seem to find such an option. If there is no
> current option then is it technically possible to do so?
>
> Paddy

Pat Brown Pat Brown

Re: Split cells in Calc

Thanks Alan. I need to split a single cell and work with it as two cells
(i.e. text as well as background and cell borders). Maybe the only way to
do this is to merge two columns and then split the one cell that I need to
work with. This is rather ham-fisted but may be the only solution.

On 10 August 2014 13:52, Alan B <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 7:25 AM, Pat Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>    Is there any way to split a primary (one that has not been 'merged'
>> previously) cell?  I can't seem to find such an option. If there is no
>> current option then is it technically possible to do so?
>>

> Paddy,
>
> Presuming cell content is text, the "Data | Text to Columns" operation can
> split the text into multiple cells.
>
> For splitting a single cell it may be simplest to use the "Fixed width"
> separator option and then mark where to split the cell content.
>
> If there is a column of cells that needs to be split into multiple cells
> then either "Fixed width" or "Separated by" depending on cell content would
> be the technique to use.
>
> To split up a column of cells as a group each cell in the column would
> need similar characteristics re: where the split should be done. e.g. each
> cell contains words separated by commas then could use the "Separated by"
> option, tick "Comma" and the contents of each cell would be split across
> multiple cells at the comma separator.
>
> Hope the above is the kind of solution you're looking for.

Pat Brown Pat Brown

Re: Split cells in Calc

Nino, I am creating a geological time-line in Calc. Working across the
sheet I am dividing the cells into periods. There are five different sets
of periods. I find, after I have started, that I need to create smaller
units than one cell. If I could split this cell it would work for me.
Otherwise I need to evaluate the whole time line and provisionally merge
columns in the right place in order to be able to merge the ones I need at
a later stage.

On 10 August 2014 14:20, Nino Novak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pat,
>
> why do you need to split a cell? What data does it contain and what do you
> need to do with these data?
>
> Nino
>
> Am 10.08.2014 13:25, schrieb Pat Brown:
> > Hi Guys,
> >    Is there any way to split a primary (one that has not been 'merged'
> > previously) cell?  I can't seem to find such an option. If there is no
> > current option then is it technically possible to do so?
> >
> > Paddy

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Split cells in Calc

At 13:25 10/08/2014 +0200, Pat Brown wrote:
>Is there any way to split a primary (one that has not been 'merged'
>previously) cell? I can't seem to find such an option. If there is
>no current option then is it technically possible to do so?

This wouldn't really make sense. One of the principal functions of a
spreadsheet is to be able to refer to individual cells in formulae.
If you split a single cell, how would you refer to each part of it
separately? What would D7 now mean? D7RB for the right, bottom
sub-cell of what was originally D7? What when you divide those cells further?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Nino Nino

Re: Split cells in Calc

Am 10.08.2014 15:10, schrieb Pat Brown:
> Nino, I am creating a geological time-line in Calc. Working across the
> sheet I am dividing the cells into periods. There are five different sets
> of periods. I find, after I have started, that I need to create smaller
> units than one cell. If I could split this cell it would work for me.
> Otherwise I need to evaluate the whole time line and provisionally merge
> columns in the right place in order to be able to merge the ones I need at
> a later stage.

Sorry, I'm not a geologist, so "a geological time-line" does not say
anything to me.

What do your cells contain? Could you give an example?

See, you have your spreadsheet in mind but I/we do not know how it looks
like. So it is difficult to help.

You could also upload a screenshot somewhere and post the link here, this
could help to understand the problem.

Nino

Robert Funnell Robert Funnell

Re: Split cells in Calc

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 13:25 10/08/2014 +0200, Pat Brown wrote:
>> Is there any way to split a primary (one that has not been 'merged'
>> previously) cell? I can't seem to find such an option. If there is no
>> current option then is it technically possible to do so?
>
> This wouldn't really make sense. One of the principal functions of a
> spreadsheet is to be able to refer to individual cells in formulae. If you
> split a single cell, how would you refer to each part of it separately? What
> would D7 now mean? D7RB for the right, bottom sub-cell of what was originally
> D7? What when you divide those cells further?

@Brian: It should in principle be possible to just renumber
everything. After that, it doesn't seem to be different in principle
from what happens when cells are merged. However ...

@Pat: Is it not possible to get the effect you need by inserting a new
column before or after the cell that you want to split?

Luuk Luuk

Re: Split cells in Calc

> On 10 August 2014 14:20, Nino Novak <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Pat,
>>
>> why do you need to split a cell? What data does it contain and what do you
>> need to do with these data?
>>
>> Nino

On 10-8-2014 15:10, Pat Brown wrote:> Nino, I am creating a geological
time-line in Calc. Working across the
> sheet I am dividing the cells into periods. There are five different sets
> of periods. I find, after I have started, that I need to create smaller
> units than one cell. If I could split this cell it would work for me.
> Otherwise I need to evaluate the whole time line and provisionally merge
> columns in the right place in order to be able to merge the ones I need at
> a later stage.

I think the 'Insert Cell' (CTRL +) functionality can/should be used for that

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)
Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Split cells in Calc

At 11:49 10/08/2014 -0400, Robert Funnell wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Aug 2014, Brian Barker wrote:
>>At 13:25 10/08/2014 +0200, Pat Brown wrote:
>>>Is there any way to split a primary (one that has not been
>>>'merged' previously) cell? I can't seem to find such an option. If
>>>there is no current option then is it technically possible to do so?
>>
>>This wouldn't really make sense. One of the principal functions of
>>a spreadsheet is to be able to refer to individual cells in
>>formulae. If you split a single cell, how would you refer to each
>>part of it separately? What would D7 now mean? D7RB for the right,
>>bottom sub-cell of what was originally D7? What when you divide
>>those cells further?
>
>It should in principle be possible to just renumber everything.
>After that, it doesn't seem to be different in principle from what
>happens when cells are merged.

That sounds impressive, but it's just magic! If you explained what
you meant, you might see why it makes little sense.

If you divide D7 horizontally, do the two parts become D7 and E7? In
that case, do columns E onward get relabelled to F and so on? And
formulae adjusted? Since column E now has only one cell, what does a
reference to E6 mean? Is the column now labelled D or E or D/E?

If you now happen to divide F9, does it become F9 and G9 or does it
take advantage of the ghost of column E and label itself E9 and F9?
Are the columns now labelled D/E and E/F?

Brian Barker

OogieM OogieM

Re: Split cells in Calc

On Aug 10, 2014, at 7:10 AM, Pat Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nino, I am creating a geological time-line in Calc. Working across the
> sheet I am dividing the cells into periods. There are five different sets
> of periods. I find, after I have started, that I need to create smaller
> units than one cell. If I could split this cell it would work for me.
> Otherwise I need to evaluate the whole time line and provisionally merge
> columns in the right place in order to be able to merge the ones I need at
> a later stage.

Why are you using Calc for this? Are you doing calculations on the data  about each period or epoch or other subdivision?

Might you be better served by looking at a package designed to handle duration and timelines? I know of one for Macintosh and Windows (Aeon Timeline) but not sure about other operating systems.

Aeon allows you to define and subdivide your time with arcs and is great for managing what happened concurrently or sequence operations. I've used it for genealogy, plotting mystery novels, planning for software development, planning breeding schedules for a sheep flock and more.

As to splitting a cell, I do not know of any way to do that, you would have to insert another column and then merge all but the split cell.

Eugenie (Oogie) McGuire
Desert Weyr, LLC - Black Welsh Mountain Sheep http://www.desertweyr.com/
LambTracker - Open Source SW for Shepherds http://www.lambtracker.com
Paonia, CO USA

Robert Funnell Robert Funnell

Re: Split cells in Calc

On Sun, 10 Aug 2014, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 11:49 10/08/2014 -0400, Robert Funnell wrote:
>>>
>>> This wouldn't really make sense. One of the principal functions of a
>>> spreadsheet is to be able to refer to individual cells in formulae. If you
>>> split a single cell, how would you refer to each part of it separately?
>>> What would D7 now mean? D7RB for the right, bottom sub-cell of what was
>>> originally D7? What when you divide those cells further?
>>
>> It should in principle be possible to just renumber everything. After that,
>> it doesn't seem to be different in principle from what happens when cells
>> are merged.
>
> That sounds impressive, but it's just magic! If you explained what you meant,
> you might see why it makes little sense.
>
> If you divide D7 horizontally, do the two parts become D7 and E7? In that
> case, do columns E onward get relabelled to F and so on? And formulae
> adjusted? Since column E now has only one cell, what does a reference to E6
> mean? Is the column now labelled D or E or D/E?
>
> If you now happen to divide F9, does it become F9 and G9 or does it take
> advantage of the ghost of column E and label itself E9 and F9? Are the
> columns now labelled D/E and E/F?

As also mentioned by another poster, if you want to effectively split
a single cell, you can add a row or column and then merge cells that
you don't want to be split. (Perhaps a macro could be developed to do
this.) Would your concerns not then be resolved?

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Split cells in Calc

At 12:41 10/08/2014 -0400, Robert Funnell wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Aug 2014, Brian Barker wrote:

>>>It should in principle be possible to just renumber everything.
>>>After that, it doesn't seem to be different in principle from what
>>>happens when cells are merged.
>>
>>That sounds impressive, but it's just magic! If you explained what
>>you meant, you might see why it makes little sense.
>>
>>If you divide D7 horizontally, do the two parts become D7 and E7?
>>In that case, do columns E onward get relabelled to F and so on?
>>And formulae adjusted? Since column E now has only one cell, what
>>does a reference to E6 mean? Is the column now labelled D or E or D/E?
>>
>>If you now happen to divide F9, does it become F9 and G9 or does it
>>take advantage of the ghost of column E and label itself E9 and F9?
>>Are the columns now labelled D/E and E/F?
>
>As also mentioned by another poster, if you want to effectively
>split a single cell, you can add a row or column and then merge
>cells that you don't want to be split. (Perhaps a macro could be
>developed to do this.) Would your concerns not then be resolved?

There are no concerns to be resolved: that quite different technique
is the right way to do this!

Brian Barker