Stable, conservative, unsupported versions | libreoffice.com/download

Дилян Палаузов Дилян Палаузов

Stable, conservative, unsupported versions | libreoffice.com/download

Hello,

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ says: LO 6.1.4 is for technology enthusiasts and 6.0.7 is for enterprises
or conservative users.  I read: 6.1.4 is development and 6.0.7 is stable.

When I reported that building the conservative version fails, the answer on this mailing list was, that 6.0.7 is dead. [
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/6.0]

Please either align the Download area not to offer for installation end of life versions, or explain what is the point
of delivering software for the enterprise, that is not supported.

Regards
  Дилян

Michael Stahl-3 Michael Stahl-3

Re: Stable, conservative, unsupported versions | libreoffice.com/download

On 16.01.19 10:57, Дилян Палаузов wrote:
> Hello,
>
> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ says: LO 6.1.4 is for technology enthusiasts and 6.0.7 is for enterprises
> or conservative users.  I read: 6.1.4 is development and 6.0.7 is stable.

development happens on "master", and new features may be backported not
to 6.1 but only to the 6.2 branch, but not any more right now (IIRC)
because there is already a 6.2.0 RC2.

the 6.1 branch only gets bugfixes, but (as always) bugfixes may carry
their own risk of introducing new bugs, which cannot be prevented with
100% certainty.

> When I reported that building the conservative version fails, the answer on this mailing list was, that 6.0.7 is dead. [
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/6.0]

there will be a 6.2 release very soon, so at that point 6.1 will be
declared the "stable" branch.

> Please either align the Download area not to offer for installation end of life versions, or explain what is the point
> of delivering software for the enterprise, that is not supported.

TDF does not and has never claimed to deliver enterprise support for any
of its software; that sort of thing is available from downstream
commercial service providers, who maintain release branches with a much
longer support life-time than TDF releases.

perhaps the Download page could be adapted to make that more obvious?
Дилян Палаузов Дилян Палаузов

Re: Stable, conservative, unsupported versions | libreoffice.com/download

Hello,

what I wanted to ask was, why does the LO-ebpage recommend for enterprises end of life products.

My understanding of the processes is, that there are usually a stable version, that is not end-of-live, and a most
current version, at the same time.  However there are gaps, when the webpage offers only one version, that is not end of
life, without stating this clear.

How about changing the releas/live duration process, so that no such gap exists?

Regards
  Дилян

Mike Kaganski Mike Kaganski

On 16.01.2019 14:49, Дилян Палаузов wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what I wanted to ask was, why does the LO-ebpage recommend for enterprises end of life products.
>
> My understanding of the processes is, that there are usually a stable version, that is not end-of-live, and a most
> current version, at the same time.  However there are gaps, when the webpage offers only one version, that is not end of
> life, without stating this clear.

6.0 *is* the stable version at the moment, that is rightfully
recommended now. EOL means only one thing: no more releases for this
branch are planned. This happens at the moment when the last release of
the branch comes out. The last release for 6.0 brought last portion of
the fixes; and at this moment, 6.0.7 is considered the most stable - and
for that reason, recommended; and at the same time, TDF won't release
any more patches to it - so it's EOLed. So do you suggest to only
recommend versions that don't have the last pack of fixes?

Mike Kaganski
Sophia Schröder-3 Sophia Schröder-3

Re: Stable, conservative, unsupported versions | libreoffice.com/download

yes that theme and that unfortunate wording is already on our radar:

http://document-foundation-mail-archive.969070.n3.nabble.com/TDF-marketing-discussion-paper-td4255766.html

Suggestions for improvements always welcome. :-)

Am 16.01.2019 um 12:49 schrieb Дилян Палаузов:

> Hello,
>
> what I wanted to ask was, why does the LO-ebpage recommend for enterprises end of life products.
>
> My understanding of the processes is, that there are usually a stable version, that is not end-of-live, and a most
> current version, at the same time.  However there are gaps, when the webpage offers only one version, that is not end of
> life, without stating this clear.
>
> How about changing the releas/live duration process, so that no such gap exists?
>
> Regards
>    Дилян
>
> On Wed, 2019-01-16 at 11:54 +0100, Michael Stahl wrote:
>> On 16.01.19 10:57, Дилян Палаузов wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/ says: LO 6.1.4 is for technology enthusiasts and 6.0.7 is for enterprises
>>> or conservative users.  I read: 6.1.4 is development and 6.0.7 is stable.
>> development happens on "master", and new features may be backported not
>> to 6.1 but only to the 6.2 branch, but not any more right now (IIRC)
>> because there is already a 6.2.0 RC2.
>>
>> the 6.1 branch only gets bugfixes, but (as always) bugfixes may carry
>> their own risk of introducing new bugs, which cannot be prevented with
>> 100% certainty.
>>
>>> When I reported that building the conservative version fails, the answer on this mailing list was, that 6.0.7 is dead. [
>>> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan/6.0]
>> there will be a 6.2 release very soon, so at that point 6.1 will be
>> declared the "stable" branch.
>>
>>> Please either align the Download area not to offer for installation end of life versions, or explain what is the point
>>> of delivering software for the enterprise, that is not supported.
>> TDF does not and has never claimed to deliver enterprise support for any
>> of its software; that sort of thing is available from downstream
>> commercial service providers, who maintain release branches with a much
>> longer support life-time than TDF releases.
>>
>> perhaps the Download page could be adapted to make that more obvious?

Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sophia Schröder
---
www.LibreOffice.org
German Language Team
Help Files Debugger
IRC: SophiaS

Дилян Палаузов Дилян Палаузов

Re: Stable, conservative, unsupported versions | libreoffice.com/download

it is confusing, when the most stable version does not compile, as it happened to me, and when this is not going to
change.

I suggest recomending only versions, which either compile, or in case they don’t compile, they are supposed to be
publically tweaked to compile.

Regards
  Дилян

On 16.01.2019 15:41, Дилян Палаузов wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it is confusing, when the most stable version does not compile, as it happened to me, and when this is not going to
> change.
>
> I suggest recomending only versions, which either compile, or in case they don’t compile, they are supposed to be
> publically tweaked to compile.

Any version, however stable it were, cannot be guaranteed to compile
with library versions released after its release. Also, no software is
guaranteed to build in environments tweaked manually in unpredictable
ways (as likely is in your case, as your previous thread suggests).

So I suppose, in this thread you are trying to fix not the real problem.

Mike Kaganski