Start Center Niggles

Next » 12
mirek2 mirek2

Start Center Niggles

Hi guys,
The Start Center is a hot topic right now, I thought I'd chime in with my
few cents.
Kendy, sorry for asking you to do more work, I know you're busy. If you
decide to just keep the center as is for now, that's fine.
Also, sorry if I made it seem like Astron's mockup was a final draft: we
settled on some basics during the chat, from which Astron constructed the
mockup, but there's still minor details to settle on.
Lastly, don't be discouraged by the volume. Most of the suggestions are
simple tweaks.

So, without further ado:
In terms of layout and sizing:
* In general, I'd imagine it more like
http://ubuntuone.com/0bhbyPRVt8hChFsZ64HBfO . (I hope it's okay I based
that on your mockup, Astron.) That means:
* No gray margin around the "main" area (the sidebar + document area).
* Smaller text (18px for the top buttons, 16px for the buttons under
"Create")
* More breathing room for the buttons in the sidebar -- see attached mockup
for specific sizes.
* The "Create" label should be closer to the line under it and farther from
the "Template" button, to clearly show the relationship it has to the
buttons.

In terms of general appearance:
* The "Create" label should be clearly set apart from clickable buttons. I
suggest making it uppercase and bold.
* The line below "Create" should be white.
* I'd suggest making the background of the recent document area less bright
(it can be a bit hard on the eyes, especially compared to the current Start
Center): #f9f9f9 would do, though Gnome uses #f1f2f1. Take your pick.

In terms of the appearance of recents, I'd like to follow Gnome [1] here,
meaning:
* The thumbnail area should be square [2] and much bigger. I'd suggest
around 180x180 with a 15px margin on all sides (so 30 px between
consecutive thumbnails).
* Icons (when there's no thumbnail) should appear without a border.
* Filenames should be allowed to span 2 rows and should show both the end
and the beginning of the name, with the eventual ellipsis in the middle.
* Filenames should show file extension. (In my experience, people sometimes
edit a file as ODF, export it as a DOCX for sharing, but keep editing as
ODF for full compatibility. In the current SC, there'd be no way to tell
the two apart.) If we must hide the extension, a) let's hide it for ODF
docs only, or b) let's design badges for non-ODF filetypes (would require a
willing volunteer).
* Tooltips should be shown over the thumbnail label, not where the cursor
is. They should show the full path of the document. (Right now, they're not
very useful.)
* There should be some indication that the thumbnails activate on single
click. In Nautilus (in single-click mode), thumbnails light up on hover and
the cursor changes to a pointer -- let's do that.

Also:
* Double(+)-clicking a thumbnail should open it only once.
* "Clear list" should appear either in the document area or in the File
menu directly (where it should be relabeled "Clear recent documents").
Clicking it should clear out the thumbnails right away.
* The window sometimes flickers when it's resized, though it's not as much
of an issue as it used to be with the tabbed version.
* As the others, I'd prefer a different welcome message. I'll post about it
in the Welcome message thread.

All of this said, I love the work so far, and I'm excited by the direction
LibreOffice is taking.
Thanks, Kendy!

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Documents
[2] http://ubuntuone.com/0mqVtlqmcqUpoVkGXbmh10

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos-3

Re: Start Center Niggles

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Mirek M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> * The "Create" label should be clearly set apart from clickable buttons. I
> suggest making it uppercase and bold.

I disagree with this one. I hate SCREAMING in UIs (and exclamation
marks as well, BTW). We shouldn’t follow Office/Visual Studio 2013 on
making any labels hard to read with uppercase letters. Bold will do
fine, no need for “CREATE”.

mirek2 mirek2

Re: Start Center Niggles

2013/11/27 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos <[hidden email]>

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM, Mirek M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > * The "Create" label should be clearly set apart from clickable buttons.
> > suggest making it uppercase and bold.
>
> I disagree with this one. I hate SCREAMING in UIs (and exclamation
> marks as well, BTW). We shouldn’t follow Office/Visual Studio 2013 on
> making any labels hard to read with uppercase letters. Bold will do
> fine, no need for “CREATE”.

I hate screaming in UIs as well, but I disagree all-caps always reads as
screaming.
See
http://www.essentialmac.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mac-OS-X-Lion-Finder.jpgfor
example. Do the headers in the sidebar scream, in your opinion?

In any case, I'm fine with keeping it simply capitalized. :)

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Mirek M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> See
> http://www.essentialmac.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Mac-OS-X-Lion-Finder.jpg
> for example. Do the headers in the sidebar scream, in your opinion?

IMHO it’s unnecessary highlighting. I mean, when giving instructions
you’d say “… go to the section ‘DEVICES’ and pick a location”. A user
could interpret the all-caps as “don’t be dumb and look at the right
section”. ;-) Also, the indentation helps to distingish the labels
from the other items.

Jan Holesovsky-4 Jan Holesovsky-4

Re: Start Center Niggles

Hi Mirek,

Mirek M. píše v St 27. 11. 2013 v 21:23 +0100:

> The Start Center is a hot topic right now, I thought I'd chime in with
> my few cents.
>
> Kendy, sorry for asking you to do more work, I know you're busy. If
> you decide to just keep the center as is for now, that's fine.
> Also, sorry if I made it seem like Astron's mockup was a final draft:
> we settled on some basics during the chat, from which Astron
> constructed the mockup, but there's still minor details to settle on.
>
> Lastly, don't be discouraged by the volume. Most of the suggestions
> are simple tweaks.

Sure, no problem :-)  Cannot promise that I'll be able to do everything,
but have some own favorite annoyances too, so definitely will spend some
time on this still.

As the first thing, I'll tweak the text so that the translators have the
final version early, then the other stuff.

All the best,
Kendy

mirek2 mirek2

Re: Start Center Niggles

2013/11/28 Jan Holesovsky <[hidden email]>

> Hi Mirek,
>
> Mirek M. píše v St 27. 11. 2013 v 21:23 +0100:
>
> > The Start Center is a hot topic right now, I thought I'd chime in with
> > my few cents.
> >
> > Kendy, sorry for asking you to do more work, I know you're busy. If
> > you decide to just keep the center as is for now, that's fine.
> > Also, sorry if I made it seem like Astron's mockup was a final draft:
> > we settled on some basics during the chat, from which Astron
> > constructed the mockup, but there's still minor details to settle on.
> >
> > Lastly, don't be discouraged by the volume. Most of the suggestions
> > are simple tweaks.
>
> Sure, no problem :-)  Cannot promise that I'll be able to do everything,
> but have some own favorite annoyances too, so definitely will spend some
> time on this still.
>
> As the first thing, I'll tweak the text so that the translators have the
> final version early, then the other stuff.

Please wait with the text until after this week's IRC chat, where we should
finally reach consensus on all the controversial topics -- including button
labels and the welcome text.

I hope most of the suggestions in my message aren't controversial, though.
(At least, it seems so by the lack of responses here.)
Except the one about the capitalization of the "Create" label -- let's keep
it capitalized as it is now (so not all-caps).

> All the best,
> Kendy

Pedro Pedro

Re: Start Center Niggles

Hi mirek, all

mirek2 wrote
I hope most of the suggestions in my message aren't controversial, though.
(At least, it seems so by the lack of responses here.)
Except the one about the capitalization of the "Create" label -- let's keep
it capitalized as it is now (so not all-caps).
In my opinion

1) "Create" should use the same font *size and case* as the two other options "Open" and "Template".
See https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:89328.jpg

2) The third option should also be an *action*. "Create" and "Open" are actions/verbs. The third option should also start with an action/verb. My suggestion is "Use  Template" (to avoid repeating the verb create, which is in reality what the user is doing: creating a new document from a template)

3) Repeating "New" is redundant. In fact you can not Create something that is not New :)

4) I agree that associating the file type with the application is a good thing: Writer Text, Calc Spreadsheet, etc

Just my 4 cents :)

Mirek M. píše v Čt 28. 11. 2013 v 22:01 +0100:

> Please wait with the text until after this week's IRC chat, where we
> should finally reach consensus on all the controversial topics --
> including button labels and the welcome text.

Do we have the consensus now, please?

Thank you,
Kendy

mirek2 mirek2

Re: Start Center Niggles

2013/12/4 Jan Holesovsky <[hidden email]>

> Hi Mirek,
>
> Mirek M. píše v Čt 28. 11. 2013 v 22:01 +0100:
>

> > Please wait with the text until after this week's IRC chat, where we
> > should finally reach consensus on all the controversial topics --
> > including button labels and the welcome text.
>
> Do we have the consensus now, please?

Yes, here are the decisions [1]:
* Keep sidebar on the left for LTR locales, have it on the right for RTL
locales.
* Use thumbnails, but indicate file type using colors or badges. -- We
still need to design this, but if we don't do it in time, having no color
codes for this release is fine and we'll put them in the next one.
* Use 2-line labels, with the name cut off in the middle, just like the
labels in Gnome Documents.
* Show the full file path (including extension) in a tooltip.
* Button labels: *Create Writer Text Document* (or simply *Writer Document*,
if *Writer Text Document* is too long in some languages -- your call)
*, Calc Spreadsheet, Impress Presentation, Draw Drawing, Math Formula, Base
Database*
** *Greeting:

*Welcome to LibreOffice. Use the sidebar to open or create a file.*
Sorry that it took me so long to write.

> Thank you,
> Kendy
>

> [1]
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Start_Center#Controversial_Topics

Michel RENON Michel RENON

Re: Start Center Niggles

Hi,

Le 04/12/2013 10:03, Mirek M. a écrit :

> 2013/12/4 Jan Holesovsky <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Mirek,
>>
>> Mirek M. píše v Čt 28. 11. 2013 v 22:01 +0100:
>>

>>> Please wait with the text until after this week's IRC chat, where we
>>> should finally reach consensus on all the controversial topics --
>>> including button labels and the welcome text.
>>
>> Do we have the consensus now, please?
>>

> Yes, here are the decisions [1]:
> * Keep sidebar on the left for LTR locales, have it on the right for RTL
> locales.
> * Use thumbnails, but indicate file type using colors or badges. -- We
> still need to design this, but if we don't do it in time, having no color
> codes for this release is fine and we'll put them in the next one.

IMHO, it's a bad decision :
it clearly means that the design is incomplete.
And it's not during the Beta phase that such work can be started.

My suggestion is to postpone the start center for the 4.3 release.
It's possible because the current start center is still ok.
It will give you the minimum time to perform design and dev tasks in a
calm way. People from QA, translation and documentation will also
appreciate.
It will also allow you to handle other use cases (already defined in
this mailing-list)
- how to show meta data : file size, creation/modification date, full
path...
- how to filter/sort by type
- maybe some security questions ?

My suggestion is motivated with the template manager in mind : big
changes were made at the last minutes and it was difficult for everybody
involved. And template manager is still far from perfect.

So it seems obvious to postpone it. Otherwise, you'll repeat previous
mistakes.

Michel

Jean-Baptiste Faure Jean-Baptiste Faure

Re: Start Center Niggles

Le 06/12/2013 01:12, Michel Renon a écrit :
> Hi,
> [...]
> IMHO, it's a bad decision :
> it clearly means that the design is incomplete.
> And it's not during the Beta phase that such work can be started.
>
> My suggestion is to postpone the start center for the 4.3 release.

I disagree, if we wait that the StartCenter is perfect, it will never be
released.

Best regards.
JBF

Pedro Pedro

Re: Start Center Niggles

Hi Michel

Michel RENON wrote
IMHO, it's a bad decision :
it clearly means that the design is incomplete.
And it's not during the Beta phase that such work can be started.

My suggestion is to postpone the start center for the 4.3 release.
It's possible because the current start center is still ok.
It will give you the minimum time to perform design and dev tasks in a
calm way. People from QA, translation and documentation will also
appreciate.
Postponing isn't going to happen. This is a Time based release project. The criteria for release is not based on completeness.
A second concept: this is not a democracy. It's a "do-ocracy".
It also took me some time to realize that.
I still haven't figured out if this the right way (fixes and improvements occur much faster) or the wrong way (regressions creep in at the most unexpected places and scare users away, some features change from release to release, etc)...
You either accept this as it is or you are going to be disappointed .

Just my 2 cents ;)
Arnaud VERSINI Arnaud VERSINI

Re: Start Center Niggles

Hi

Just to be clear, Michel's idea is to postpone the new start center, not
LibreOffice itself.

Make the new startcenter as an experimental feature for example and to be
default in 4.3 could be a solution.

2013/12/7 Pedro <[hidden email]>

> Hi Michel
>

> Michel RENON wrote
> > IMHO, it's a bad decision :
> > it clearly means that the design is incomplete.
> > And it's not during the Beta phase that such work can be started.
> >
> > My suggestion is to postpone the start center for the 4.3 release.
> > It's possible because the current start center is still ok.
> > It will give you the minimum time to perform design and dev tasks in a
> > calm way. People from QA, translation and documentation will also
> > appreciate.
>
> Postponing isn't going to happen. This is a Time based release project. The
> criteria for release is not based on completeness.
> A second concept: this is not a democracy. It's a "do-ocracy".
> It also took me some time to realize that.
> I still haven't figured out if this the right way (fixes and improvements
> occur much faster) or the wrong way (regressions creep in at the most
> unexpected places and scare users away, some features change from release
> release, etc)...
> You either accept this as it is or you are going to be disappointed .
>
> Just my 2 cents ;)

Arnaud Versini

Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz

Re: Start Center Niggles

Arnaud,

What  would be Michel's readons to post pone the start center to the 4.3?

I am concerned that thls call to postpone is rooted in unrealistic expectations and ultimately makes us lose time while demotivating team members.

Best,

Charles.

Arnaud Versini <[hidden email]> a écrit :

>Hi
>
>Just to be clear, Michel's idea is to postpone the new start center,
>not
>LibreOffice itself.
>
>Make the new startcenter as an experimental feature for example and to
>be
>default in 4.3 could be a solution.
>

>2013/12/7 Pedro <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi Michel
>>

>> Michel RENON wrote
>> > IMHO, it's a bad decision :
>> > it clearly means that the design is incomplete.
>> > And it's not during the Beta phase that such work can be started.
>> >
>> > My suggestion is to postpone the start center for the 4.3 release.
>> > It's possible because the current start center is still ok.
>> > It will give you the minimum time to perform design and dev tasks
>in a
>> > calm way. People from QA, translation and documentation will also
>> > appreciate.
>>
>> Postponing isn't going to happen. This is a Time based release
>project. The
>> criteria for release is not based on completeness.
>> A second concept: this is not a democracy. It's a "do-ocracy".
>> It also took me some time to realize that.
>> I still haven't figured out if this the right way (fixes and
>improvements
>> occur much faster) or the wrong way (regressions creep in at the most
>> unexpected places and scare users away, some features change from
>release
>> release, etc)...
>> You either accept this as it is or you are going to be disappointed .
>>
>> Just my 2 cents ;)

>> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot
>be
>> deleted
>>

>--
>Arnaud Versini
>
>--
>deleted

sophi sophi

Re: Start Center Niggles

Le 07/12/2013 22:11, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
> Arnaud,
>
> What  would be Michel's readons to post pone the start center to the
> 4.3?
>
> I am concerned that thls call to postpone is rooted in unrealistic
> expectations and ultimately makes us lose time while demotivating
> team members.

Agreed, and whit Pedro explanations too. More it's really too late in
the process, it's already implemented, localized, tested, advertised...
To much work already done by the community to cancel it.

Cheers
Sophie

Mirek M. píše v St 04. 12. 2013 v 10:03 +0100:

> Yes, here are the decisions [1]:
>
> * Keep sidebar on the left for LTR locales, have it on the right for
> RTL locales.
> * Use thumbnails, but indicate file type using colors or badges. -- We
> still need to design this, but if we don't do it in time, having no
> color codes for this release is fine and we'll put them in the next
> one.
> * Use 2-line labels, with the name cut off in the middle, just like
> the labels in Gnome Documents.
> * Show the full file path (including extension) in a tooltip.
>
> * Button labels: Create Writer Text Document (or simply Writer
> Document, if Writer Text Document is too long in some languages --
> your call), Calc Spreadsheet, Impress Presentation, Draw Drawing, Math
> Formula, Base Database
>
> * Greeting: Welcome to LibreOffice. Use the sidebar to open or create
> a file.

So I have implemented most of these, I think I've left out only the 2
lines description - it is more complex unfortunately :-(  I also fixed a
couple of things that were annoying me personally.  The results are
here:

Empty start center, with no documents:

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/startcenter-empty.png

Some recent documents present:

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/startcenter-recent.png

You can see some differences to the design, most notably:

- Create
  When playing with that, it started to annoy me that it is _above_ the
  separator line, and that it has smaller font size.  Also, it logically
  belongs to the group of the buttons, so I moved it there, gave it the
  same size as the button text, and added a colon.  I believe it works
  pretty well ;-)

- Thumbnails
  I considerably increased their size, and improved their drawing
  algorithm to antialias the pictures.  Also for the files that have no
  thumbnail, I made it look like the icon is on a piece of paper; looks
  much more consistently when there are more documents open.

- Open File
  I changed the pure 'Open' to 'Open File' - I think it goes better with
  the explanatory Writer Document / Calc Spreadsheet etc.

- Various pixel here, pixel there tweaks
  To get more breathing space etc. - hopefully you are happy with the
  result, it would be just too painful for everybody to ping-pong every
  change there :-)

- Mouse over
  Now we have a mouse over effect when you point at the thumbnails.

Finally - there are still things to fix around accessibility, haven't
changed a bit there; but that shouldn't be affected by the UI freeze, I
still plan to have a look.

Please shout if anything is wrong - but I hope the current state is
acceptable for most :-)  Everyone, please play with the nightly build
that is built after now & report bugs.

All the best,
Kendy

Mateusz Zasuwik Mateusz Zasuwik

Re: Start Center Niggles

1. Please, add "Open" and "Templates" icons from current build ( >
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/e/e4/4.2_start_center.png )
2. Remove "Help" button (from bottom, left corner). There is the same
button above the toolbar (menu File, Tool,
Help). Instead of give users button-link to template's repository (next to
button-link to extensions' repository)
3. Give back normal components name, that is "Text document",
"Spreadsheet", "Presentation", "Drawing", "Formula", "Database". Current
names will look horrible after translated.

Can we delete single document and how can we delete all document at once?

2013/12/13 Jan Holesovsky <[hidden email]>

> [...]
>   much more consistently when there are more documents open.
>
> - Open File
>   I changed the pure 'Open' to 'Open File' - I think it goes better with
>   the explanatory Writer Document / Calc Spreadsheet etc.
>
> - Various pixel here, pixel there tweaks
>   To get more breathing space etc. - hopefully you are happy with the
>   result, it would be just too painful for everybody to ping-pong every
>   change there :-)
>
> - Mouse over
>   Now we have a mouse over effect when you point at the thumbnails.
>
> Finally - there are still things to fix around accessibility, haven't
> changed a bit there; but that shouldn't be affected by the UI freeze, I
> still plan to have a look.
>
> Please shout if anything is wrong - but I hope the current state is
> acceptable for most :-)  Everyone, please play with the nightly build

Miłego dnia życzę, hej
M.Z.

sophi sophi

Re: Start Center Niggles

Le 13/12/2013 20:34, Mateusz Zasuwik a écrit :
> 1. Please, add "Open" and "Templates" icons from current build ( >
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/e/e4/4.2_start_center.png )
> 2. Remove "Help" button (from bottom, left corner). There is the same
> button above the toolbar (menu File, Tool,
> Help). Instead of give users button-link to template's repository (next to
> button-link to extensions' repository)

The two buttons doesn't link to the same, one links to the site the
other one links to the help file and I think it's good.

> 3. Give back normal components name, that is "Text document",
> "Spreadsheet", "Presentation", "Drawing", "Formula", "Database". Current
> names will look horrible after translated.

No, I think it's currently much better because New could change, here
this is clear. We (l10n team) do not translate the branding names and
they are already known.

And by the way, thanks a lot Kendy :)

Kind regards
Sophie

Pedro Pedro

Re: Start Center Niggles

Hi Kendy

Jan Holesovsky-4 wrote
- Create
  When playing with that, it started to annoy me that it is _above_ the
  separator line, and that it has smaller font size.  Also, it logically
  belongs to the group of the buttons, so I moved it there, gave it the
  same size as the button text, and added a colon.  I believe it works
  pretty well ;-)
Like :) I had previously suggested this so I'm glad you reached the same conclusion :)
In fact I think Create should have the same font size as Open and Template and that the items under Create should have a slightly smaller font

Jan Holesovsky-4 wrote
- Thumbnails
  I considerably increased their size, and improved their drawing
  algorithm to antialias the pictures.  Also for the files that have no
  thumbnail, I made it look like the icon is on a piece of paper; looks
  much more consistently when there are more documents open.
This reduces even more the number of available items (only 6?)... It was already hugely reduced by removing the tabs...
I think it makes the Recent Documents irrelevant...

Jan Holesovsky-4 wrote
- Open File
  I changed the pure 'Open' to 'Open File' - I think it goes better with
  the explanatory Writer Document / Calc Spreadsheet etc.
Like :) Maybe Mateusz suggestion to add buttons to Open and Template makes sense

In terms of design it has become much nicer. I'm just don't agree with the decreasing number of recent documents...

Thanks for listening ;)

Cheers,
Pedro
V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Start Center Niggles

Jan Holesovsky-4 wrote
With two text lines, can font for Welcome be bumped a couple points larger? And could fonts be assigned a couple of complementary colors from the green pallet to echo the SideBar --bolder for the Welcome (green 2), and subdued for the sidebar use note (green 3)?

You can see some differences to the design, most notably:

- Create
  When playing with that, it started to annoy me that it is _above_ the
  separator line, and that it has smaller font size.  Also, it logically
  belongs to the group of the buttons, so I moved it there, gave it the
  same size as the button text, and added a colon.  I believe it works
  pretty well ;-)
+1

- Open File
  I changed the pure 'Open' to 'Open File' - I think it goes better with
  the explanatory Writer Document / Calc Spreadsheet etc.
+1,  but the suggestion of adding a suitable Icon to the button--maybe to the right of the label?

- Thumbnails
  I considerably increased their size, and improved their drawing
  algorithm to antialias the pictures.  Also for the files that have no
  thumbnail, I made it look like the icon is on a piece of paper; looks
  much more consistently when there are more documents open.
+1, going to the nominal ~256px icons is the right choice.  On a full 1920 x 1080 pixel HD monitor we see 18 thumbnails and a vertical scroll bar to uncover the rest of the 25 current limit.  I like the treatment for the non-thumbnail available icons.   Might need to reduce the scale factor for  the  Math .odf formulas, they are a bit too over size.

I've posted up a screen capture of a filled  thumbnail view with scroll bar on that size display.

Finally - there are still things to fix around accessibility, haven't
changed a bit there; but that shouldn't be affected by the UI freeze, I
still plan to have a look.
Good, I've got a laundry list--mostly with Widget sequencing, SC and Template Manager.

Stuart
Next » 12