Start Center, shortcuts, and so forth

Terrence Enger Terrence Enger

Start Center, shortcuts, and so forth

Hi, all,

I notice in Start Center on both Linux and Windows that "<Alt>+F" opens the dialog "Remote Files", thus closing off direct access to "<Alt>+F X" to close the program.  I presume this is a bug, right?

But I am confused about about shortcut keys, accelerator keys, and navigation within Start Center.  Does there exist a description of what I should expect?  (<https://help.libreoffice.org/index.php?title=Common/Start_Center&Language=en-US&System=UNIX&Version=5.2#bm_id1022200910595546> does not describe navigation at all.)

Would it be good to have Start Center as a component in bugzilla?

Thank you, all, for your help.
Terry.
Pedro Pedro

Re: Start Center, shortcuts, and so forth

Hi Terry

Terrence Enger wrote
I notice in Start Center on both Linux and Windows that "<Alt>+F" opens the dialog "Remote Files", thus closing off direct access to "<Alt>+F X" to close the program.  I presume this is a bug, right?
That should not happen. Under Windows Alt+F opens the File menu. Pressing just the F key opens the Remote Files dialog.

Terrence Enger wrote
But I am confused about about shortcut keys, accelerator keys, and navigation within Start Center.  Does there exist a description of what I should expect?  (<https://help.libreoffice.org/index.php?title=Common/Start_Center&Language=en-US&System=UNIX&Version=5.2#bm_id1022200910595546> does not describe navigation at all.)

Would it be good to have Start Center as a component in bugzilla?
The keys have completely changed since 5.1 (e.g. creating a text document was O since the OpenOffice days and switched to W) which might be bad news for people with accessibility problems...

On a positive note the keys are more logic now and it fixed the problem with "Recent Files" and "Draw Drawing" which were both assigned to R and caused that none would be launched (focus would just jump from one option to the other) until you pressed enter.

I think this is more an UI/Design task than a QA task.

Cheers,
Pedro
V Stuart Foote V Stuart Foote

Re: Start Center, shortcuts, and so forth

This is wrapped up in Simon and Caolan's  work on GTK, and the non-standard way the StartCenter accelerators & shortcuts are cobbled together.

Two open issues:

Bug 92516 - "x" accelerator and mouse click not exiting StartCenter in "File -> Exit LibreOfficeDev" menu

and

Bug 96327 - Start Center: "F" accelerator for "Remote Files" conflicts with "alt+F" accelerator for "File" menu

Stuart
Terrence Enger Terrence Enger

Re: Start Center, shortcuts, and so forth

Thank you, all.

I see that the situation is under control.

Terry.