Status of Data Provider feature

Travis Stewart Travis Stewart

Status of Data Provider feature

There have been a number of requests to improve the documentation for the Data Provider, but the feature was removed from the menu in patch 85541 because it wasn't ready for production. I noticed people have patched the Data Provider code a few times since then. Should it be added to the menu again, or is is still not ready, or will it be permanently removed?

Caolán McNamara Caolán McNamara

Re: Status of Data Provider feature

On Mon, 2020-10-12 at 15:39 -0300, Travis Stewart wrote:
> There have been a number of requests to improve the documentation for
> the Data Provider, but the feature was removed from the menu in patch
> 85541 because it wasn't ready for production. I noticed people have
> patched the Data Provider code a few times since then. Should it be
> added to the menu again, or is is still not ready, or will it be
> permanently removed?

I don't think there has been sufficient change to justify adding it
back to the menu again by unsetting it as expermental.

Wrt being permanently removed, I have a suspicion that removing the
feature entirely is not risk free in the sense that users profiles that
were created when the feature wasn't marked experimental may include
references to the menu entry, especially if tools->customize was used.