Status of "Send Feedback via / for LibreOffice"

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Status of "Send Feedback via / for LibreOffice"

Hi all,

some of you may remember the Bug Submission Assistant [1] I was involved
in several weeks ago. One of the next steps is to enhance LibreOffice,
so that (e.g.) the bug submission assistant can be called from within
LibreOffice.

I think it would be a great chance to improve the interaction with our
users. So, after some mails on libreoffice-website, some private talks
and some interaction via the issue tracker, I've started to collect the
gathered information on a whiteboard page.

We'll needs some help to provide a good user experience (e.g. beautiful
graphics, good website pages), so please have a look:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboard/LibreOffice_Send_Feedback

Interested in joining the activity? Any further feedback?

Cheers,
Christoph

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Bug_Submission_Assistant

Lior Kaplan Lior Kaplan

Re: Status of "Send Feedback via / for LibreOffice"

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> some of you may remember the Bug Submission Assistant [1] I was involved
> in several weeks ago. One of the next steps is to enhance LibreOffice,
> so that (e.g.) the bug submission assistant can be called from within
> LibreOffice.
>
> I think it would be a great chance to improve the interaction with our
> users. So, after some mails on libreoffice-website, some private talks
> and some interaction via the issue tracker, I've started to collect the
> gathered information on a whiteboard page.
>
> We'll needs some help to provide a good user experience (e.g. beautiful
> graphics, good website pages), so please have a look:
>
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboard/LibreOffice_Send_Feedback
>
> Interested in joining the activity? Any further feedback?

The only issue I can think of is that send feedback might not be clear
enough, and we might also refer to this option as "report a problem".

Kaplan

Christoph Noack Christoph Noack

Re: Status of "Send Feedback via / for LibreOffice"

Hi Lior, hi all!

Am Montag, den 14.11.2011, 19:41 +0200 schrieb Lior Kaplan:

> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > some of you may remember the Bug Submission Assistant [1] I was involved
> > in several weeks ago. One of the next steps is to enhance LibreOffice,
> > so that (e.g.) the bug submission assistant can be called from within
> > LibreOffice.
> >
> > I think it would be a great chance to improve the interaction with our
> > users. So, after some mails on libreoffice-website, some private talks
> > and some interaction via the issue tracker, I've started to collect the
> > gathered information on a whiteboard page.
> >
> > We'll needs some help to provide a good user experience (e.g. beautiful
> > graphics, good website pages), so please have a look:
> >
> > https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboard/LibreOffice_Send_Feedback
> >
> > Interested in joining the activity? Any further feedback?
>
> The only issue I can think of is that send feedback might not be clear
> enough, and we might also refer to this option as "report a problem".

Yes, there might be the chance that people don't know where to report
bugs ... on the other side, the initial attempt for the Bug Submission
Assistant was (according to Michael Meeks) not aimed to let anybody (any
skillset) report bugs.

So, I focused on the general "get in touch with the project and provide
feedback about the product" approach. That should suit the need of the
majority of users ... it would also solve the "pre-selection" issue from
our last user survey Björn organized.

Maybe we'll decide to provide two separate options (feedback, problems)
for that, but I hope one will be sufficient. Nevertheless, technically
it should be no problem at all.

Cheers,
Christoph

Lior Kaplan Lior Kaplan

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Lior, hi all!
>
> Am Montag, den 14.11.2011, 19:41 +0200 schrieb Lior Kaplan:
> > On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > some of you may remember the Bug Submission Assistant [1] I was
> involved
> > > in several weeks ago. One of the next steps is to enhance LibreOffice,
> > > so that (e.g.) the bug submission assistant can be called from within
> > > LibreOffice.
> > >
> > > I think it would be a great chance to improve the interaction with our
> > > users. So, after some mails on libreoffice-website, some private talks
> > > and some interaction via the issue tracker, I've started to collect the
> > > gathered information on a whiteboard page.
> > >
> > > We'll needs some help to provide a good user experience (e.g. beautiful
> > > graphics, good website pages), so please have a look:
> > >

> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboard/LibreOffice_Send_Feedback
> > >
> > > Interested in joining the activity? Any further feedback?
> >
> > The only issue I can think of is that send feedback might not be clear
> > enough, and we might also refer to this option as "report a problem".
>
> Yes, there might be the chance that people don't know where to report
> bugs ... on the other side, the initial attempt for the Bug Submission
> Assistant was (according to Michael Meeks) not aimed to let anybody (any
> skillset) report bugs.
>
> So, I focused on the general "get in touch with the project and provide
> feedback about the product" approach. That should suit the need of the
> majority of users ... it would also solve the "pre-selection" issue from
> our last user survey Björn organized.
>
> Maybe we'll decide to provide two separate options (feedback, problems)
> for that, but I hope one will be sufficient. Nevertheless, technically
> it should be no problem at all.

I agree that we don't neccesary want everyone to report bugs, as them might
"spam" the system with low quality reports, but maybe link this button to
an FAQ / common problems page or even better - a forums or a mailing list.

I think that separating the feedback from problem reporting will reduce the
noise we'll get as feedback to something which is actually feedback and not
bug/problem reports (on the technical level).

Kaplan