Strange Macro folder behavior

Peggy Peggy

Strange Macro folder behavior

I selected some all capitalized text in a title, wanting to make a macro to
change it to initial caps. Ran the macro, stopped it and it worked. Went to
the macros under "My macros" in the library to assign a shortcut key.

I couldn't find the macro but found a whole new Folder named with the Title
I'd selected. Worse yet was a folder with the title of another document I'd
started. I couldn't find any way to delete either of them.

And even worse, when I looked at "My Macros" they were all gone.

Searched online and there were a couple of questions from people who had
lost all their macros, but they weren't answered. One was closed by a
moderator because (something like) it was untimely. Don't quote me on that.
Whatever it didn't seem the reason for closing it was valid.

I will uninstall and reinstall Libre Office, just losing one template I
made since my macros are gone. But can anyone tell me what I did to cause
those new folders? My macors were simple but convenient, and I can create
them again.

Peggy

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Strange Macro folder behavior

Howdy,

So, I see that on ask libreoffice this has come up twice and both times
closed out (without an answer) or left unanswered.

There is an old forum post on this that might help in your case. You can
find it here:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42324 but that is
back form 2012.

By any chance had you been using the Record Macro feature also?

Best wishes,

Drew

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 5:49 PM Peggy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I selected some all capitalized text in a title, wanting to make a macro to
> change it to initial caps. Ran the macro, stopped it and it worked. Went to
> the macros under "My macros" in the library to assign a shortcut key.
>
> I couldn't find the macro but found a whole new Folder named with the Title
> I'd selected. Worse yet was a folder with the title of another document I'd
> started. I couldn't find any way to delete either of them.
>
> And even worse, when I looked at "My Macros" they were all gone.
>
> Searched online and there were a couple of questions from people who had
> lost all their macros, but they weren't answered. One was closed by a
> moderator because (something like) it was untimely. Don't quote me on that.
> Whatever it didn't seem the reason for closing it was valid.
>
> I will uninstall and reinstall Libre Office, just losing one template I
> made since my macros are gone. But can anyone tell me what I did to cause
> those new folders? My macors were simple but convenient, and I can create
> them again.
>
> Peggy

drew-gmail drew-gmail

Re: Strange Macro folder behavior

One more reference for you, particularly if you are trying to use Record
Macro, with much better detail on what could be culprit here.
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80579#p371390

How it helps,

Drew

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 5:49 PM Peggy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I selected some all capitalized text in a title, wanting to make a macro to
> change it to initial caps. Ran the macro, stopped it and it worked. Went to
> the macros under "My macros" in the library to assign a shortcut key.
>
> I couldn't find the macro but found a whole new Folder named with the Title
> I'd selected. Worse yet was a folder with the title of another document I'd
> started. I couldn't find any way to delete either of them.
>
> And even worse, when I looked at "My Macros" they were all gone.
>
> Searched online and there were a couple of questions from people who had
> lost all their macros, but they weren't answered. One was closed by a
> moderator because (something like) it was untimely. Don't quote me on that.
> Whatever it didn't seem the reason for closing it was valid.
>
> I will uninstall and reinstall Libre Office, just losing one template I
> made since my macros are gone. But can anyone tell me what I did to cause
> those new folders? My macors were simple but convenient, and I can create
> them again.
>
> Peggy

Peggy Peggy

Re: Strange Macro folder behavior

Yes, I always use the record macro feature since I don't know enough to do
it any other way.
Thank you for the old post, I will try it.
I did fiind my macros, can't even remember how I got there. I first tried
an option that said I needed Java, which I don't want because I read it's a
security risk.
But when I declinded to enable it, Something opened and showed me the
Macros. The ones I tried are working today.
Thank you for the reply!

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 5:59 PM, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> So, I see that on ask libreoffice this has come up twice and both times
> closed out (without an answer) or left unanswered.
>
> There is an old forum post on this that might help in your case. You can
> find it here:
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42324 but that
> is
> back form 2012.
>
> By any chance had you been using the Record Macro feature also?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Drew
>
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 5:49 PM Peggy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I selected some all capitalized text in a title, wanting to make a macro
> > change it to initial caps. Ran the macro, stopped it and it worked. Went
> > the macros under "My macros" in the library to assign a shortcut key.
> >
> > I couldn't find the macro but found a whole new Folder named with the
> Title
> > I'd selected. Worse yet was a folder with the title of another document
> I'd
> > started. I couldn't find any way to delete either of them.
> >
> > And even worse, when I looked at "My Macros" they were all gone.
> >
> > Searched online and there were a couple of questions from people who had
> > lost all their macros, but they weren't answered. One was closed by a
> > moderator because (something like) it was untimely. Don't quote me on
> that.
> > Whatever it didn't seem the reason for closing it was valid.
> >
> > I will uninstall and reinstall Libre Office, just losing one template I
> > made since my macros are gone. But can anyone tell me what I did to cause
> > those new folders? My macors were simple but convenient, and I can create
> > them again.
> >
> > Peggy

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak Andrew Douglas Pitonyak

Re: Strange Macro folder behavior

Many features are not available without Java so it lives on every
computer that I own. I am not sure what the security risk is, but, since
everything has one....

Happy to hear that your solved the problem and figured out where it is
hiding.
This is probably related to "where did I store my macro".

If you remember...

1. Notice what Macro Library container you use. You might store a macro
inside a document (and that would be a macro library container). Your
choices here are really (a) some document, or (b) LibreOffice
application.

2. Notice Library you used. Every Macro Library Container may contain
numerous libraries. If you use the library named "Standard", then that
macro will always be available, but, you cannot easily move macros
stored in the standard library.

3. Notice what module you stored your macro. Each library can contain
multiple modules.

I hope that I have not confused you too terribly much.

On 2018-07-23 17:30, Peggy wrote:

> [...]
>> document
>> I'd
>> > started. I couldn't find any way to delete either of them.
>> >
>> > And even worse, when I looked at "My Macros" they were all gone.
>> >
>> > Searched online and there were a couple of questions from people
>> who had
>> > lost all their macros, but they weren't answered. One was closed
>> by a
>> > moderator because (something like) it was untimely. Don't quote me
>> on
>> that.
>> > Whatever it didn't seem the reason for closing it was valid.
>> >
>> > I will uninstall and reinstall Libre Office, just losing one
>> template I
>> > made since my macros are gone. But can anyone tell me what I did
>> to cause
>> > those new folders? My macors were simple but convenient, and I can

Peggy Peggy

Re: Strange Macro folder behavior

I checked and got the message about Java when I chose "organize macros >
LibreOffice Basic. (Writer isn't there.) I said "No" and now I see my
Macros without getting the message.

Anyhow my macros are gone again.

I made a library called "My Macros" Maybe if I store them under the
Standard Library, they won't disappear. I assigned each one to a shortcut
so I shouldn't need to go into the library, should I?

I still can't figure out why, when I save a document and then look under
"Run Macros," I find a new library with the title I just saved. Tried it
just now and titled it Test.
Sure enough, there it is! I looked under another document I had opened and
found a library for both that one and "Test." Then I opened one from the
Run option in the Win 7 start menu and checked and there is a Library named
"untitled 2" even before I saved it.

Is this usual behavior? I know so little and have always used Writer to
create simple text documents or tables. This is the first time I tried
creating macros.

Also, for some reason, I can't get LibreOffice Writer to put an icon on the
taskbar. I have to start a new doc from Windows 7 start menu "Run
LibreOffice Writer."

Do you think I should uninstall and reinstall?

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 5:51 PM, Andrew Pitonyak <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Many features are not available without Java so it lives on every computer
> that I own. I am not sure what the security risk is, but, since everything
> has one....
>
> Happy to hear that your solved the problem and figured out where it is
> hiding.
> This is probably related to "where did I store my macro".
>
> If you remember...
>
> 1. Notice what Macro Library container you use. You might store a macro
> inside a document (and that would be a macro library container). Your
> choices here are really (a) some document, or (b) LibreOffice application.
>
> 2. Notice Library you used. Every Macro Library Container may contain
> numerous libraries. If you use the library named "Standard", then that
> macro will always be available, but, you cannot easily move macros stored
> in the standard library.
>
> 3. Notice what module you stored your macro. Each library can contain
> multiple modules.
>
> I hope that I have not confused you too terribly much.
>

> On 2018-07-23 17:30, Peggy wrote:
>
>> Yes, I always use the record macro feature since I don't know enough to do
>> it any other way.
>> Thank you for the old post, I will try it.
>> I did fiind my macros, can't even remember how I got there. I first tried
>> an option that said I needed Java, which I don't want because I read it's
>> security risk.
>> But when I declinded to enable it, Something opened and showed me the
>> Macros. The ones I tried are working today.
>> Thank you for the reply!
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 5:59 PM, Drew Jensen <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> So, I see that on ask libreoffice this has come up twice and both times
>>> closed out (without an answer) or left unanswered.
>>>
>>> There is an old forum post on this that might help in your case. You can
>>> find it here:
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42324 but that
>>> is
>>> back form 2012.
>>>
>>> By any chance had you been using the Record Macro feature also?
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Drew

>>> macro
>>> Went

>>> Title
>>> I'd

>>> had
>>> that.

>>> cause
>>> create

Peggy Peggy

Re: Strange Macro folder behavior

More on Macros. My shortcuts are still there. One still worked. Maybe I
found it under the list under tables and just assigned a shortcut. It was
"select table."
One had some technical terms I didn't understand and when I used the
shortcut to convert the table to text (which I remember recording) I got an
error message that I'll attach.
Hoping attachments are OK?

libreoffice-ml.mbourne libreoffice-ml.mbourne

Peggy wrote:
> Also, for some reason, I can't get LibreOffice Writer to put an icon on the
> taskbar. I have to start a new doc from Windows 7 start menu "Run
> LibreOffice Writer."
>
> Do you think I should uninstall and reinstall?

I don't think LibreOffice does that for you, so a reinstall is not
likely to help. On Windows 7 onward, after starting LibreOffice from the
Start menu you should be able to then right-click it on the task bar and
select "pin to taskbar". The icon will then stay there even when
LibreOffice is not running, so you can simply click it to start without
having to go through the Start menu again.

--
Mark.

Peggy Peggy

Re: Strange Macro folder behavior

 I had tried pinning it from the executable file in the start menu which
has that option, but it didn't work.

I just did what you suggested. It thought it was pinned to the task bar, so
I clicked "unpin" and then pin so it's there now.
Thank you!

Luuk Luuk

On 22-7-2018 23:48, Peggy wrote:
> I selected some all capitalized text in a title, wanting to make a macro to
> change it to initial caps. Ran the macro, stopped it and it worked. Went to
> the macros under "My macros" in the library to assign a shortcut key.

Repeat the key combination SHIFT+F3, wil also get this done.

This is a test. (SHIFT+F3)
THIS IS A TEST. (SHIFT+F3)
this is a test. (SHIFT+F3)
This Is A Test. (SHIFT+F3)
THIS IS A TEST. (SHIFT+F3)
this is a test.

Tools/Autocorrect/Apply will change it back to:
This is a test.

Windows10 / LibreOffice  (latest?)