Styles and Formatting

Gert Faller Gert Faller

Styles and Formatting

Hi,

well so here's a patch for Styles and Formatting window does not remember
hierarchical view" bug.

I don't modify the main class so there's a local variable in constructor...

Regards.

templdlg.txt.patch (3K) Download Attachment
cbosdonnat cbosdonnat

Re: Styles and Formatting

Hi Gert,

On Fri, 2010-10-29 at 19:43 +0200, Gert Faller wrote:
> well so here's a patch for Styles and Formatting window does not remember
> hierarchical view" bug.

Many thanks for your patch, it works nicely but a tiny point refrains me
from pushing it: the hierarchical view is now the default one, which
wasn't the case before.

The problem seems to come from the fact that the 0xFFFF value should be
the ALL filter, but it is used when showing the dialog to check for the
Automatic style.

Do we want the Hierarchical view to be the default one for all apps?
Should we enhance the filters values to make it configurable for the
different apps?

> I don't modify the main class so there's a local variable in constructor...

Yes, it's ok for me.

--
Cedric

Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Styles and Formatting

Hi Cédric, Gert,

Cédric Bosdonnat wrote (03-11-10 10:26)

> Many thanks for your patch, it works nicely but a tiny point refrains me
> from pushing it: the hierarchical view is now the default one, which
> wasn't the case before.
>
> The problem seems to come from the fact that the 0xFFFF value should be
> the ALL filter, but it is used when showing the dialog to check for the
> Automatic style.
>
> Do we want the Hierarchical view to be the default one for all apps?

My experience with users is, that they are often overwhelmed by the
number of available styles.
So Hierarchical as default would not be my choice.
Default is more then enough.

(Now we are at it, in Writer the Default view does not show custom
styles... )

> Should we enhance the filters values to make it configurable for the
> different apps?

You mean that a choice in Calc is independent from a choice in Writer
etc?  Hmm that already is the case. So I don't yet understand this.

Regards,
Cor

cbosdonnat cbosdonnat

Re: Styles and Formatting

Hi Cor,

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 20:17 +0100, Cor Nouws wrote:
> My experience with users is, that they are often overwhelmed by the
> number of available styles.
> So Hierarchical as default would not be my choice.
> Default is more then enough.

Ok, then we need to fix that before pushing the patch.

> (Now we are at it, in Writer the Default view does not show custom
> styles... )

Let's see that after the patch in integrated ;)

> > Should we enhance the filters values to make it configurable for the
> > different apps?
>
> You mean that a choice in Calc is independent from a choice in Writer
> etc?  Hmm that already is the case. So I don't yet understand this.

I mean that it's currently the same code that handles this dialog for
all the applications. The side effect is that if you want the default
value to be "Automatic" for Writer and "All styles" for the other apps,
then you have to use dark magic... and that magic is currently causing
the bug we are trying to fix ;)

Cédric Bosdonnat
LibreOffice hacker
http://documentfoundation.org
OOo Eclipse Integration developer
http://cedric.bosdonnat.free.fr

Gert Faller Gert Faller

Re: Styles and Formatting

Selon Cedric Bosdonnat <[hidden email]>:

> > So Hierarchical as default would not be my choice.
> > Default is more then enough.

Hi,

I must admit that even if I been using OpenOffice for nearly 10 years, I never
use that dialog so I've maybe not made a good choice for my first jump in the
source...
I have to understand the exact expectations.

So let's go :
A) with a clean build (no patch) and a clean 'registry' (.libreoffice erased in
home),
I see :
1) I fire writer and open the dialog --> Automatic
2) I select, for example, Index Style, close and reopen the dialog --> Index
Style
3) I close writer and open it again  --> Index Style
4) I fire calc --> All styles
5) I close writer and open it again  --> Index Style
6) I choose Custom styles in calc --> Custom styles
7) I open an other calc --> Custom styles

B) with a patched build and a clean 'registry'
I see :
1) I fire writer and open the dialog --> Automatic
2) I select, for example, Index Style, close and reopen the dialog --> Index
Style
3) I close writer and open it again  --> Index Style
4) I fire calc --> All styles
5) I close writer and open it again  --> Index Style
6) I choose Custom styles in calc --> Custom styles
7) I open an other calc --> Custom styles
All the same.
8) I choose Hierarchical in writer and close the dialog --> Hierarchical
9) I close the dialog in calc and open it --> All styles
10)I open the dialog in writer --> Hierarchical
11)I close writer and open it again  --> Hierarchical
12)I close calc and open it again  --> All styles
13)I close both and open calc --> All styles
14)I open writer --> Hierarchical
15)I choose Applied styles in calc --> Applied styles
16)I close calc and open it again --> Applied styles
17)I open an other calc --> Applied styles
etc...

My question : is the problem in 11) and 14) ?

Regards.
Cor Nouws Cor Nouws

Re: Styles and Formatting

Hi Gert,

Gert Faller wrote (05-11-10 02:15)
> Selon Cedric Bosdonnat<[hidden email]>:
>
>>> So Hierarchical as default would not be my choice.
>>> Default is more then enough.
>
> Hi,
>
> I must admit that even if I been using OpenOffice for nearly 10 years, I never

A pity you didn't ;-)

> use that dialog so I've maybe not made a good choice for my first jump in the
> source...

Well, brave it is by all means :-)

> I have to understand the exact expectations.
>
> So let's go :
> A) with a clean build (no patch) and a clean 'registry' (.libreoffice erased in
> home),
> I see :
> 1) I fire writer and open the dialog -->  Automatic
> 2) I select, for example, Index Style, close and reopen the dialog -->  Index
> Style
> 3) I close writer and open it again  -->  Index Style
> 4) I fire calc -->  All styles
> 5) I close writer and open it again  -->  Index Style
> 6) I choose Custom styles in calc -->  Custom styles
> 7) I open an other calc -->  Custom styles
>
> B) with a patched build and a clean 'registry'
> I see :
> 1) I fire writer and open the dialog -->  Automatic
> 2) I select, for example, Index Style, close and reopen the dialog -->  Index
> Style
> 3) I close writer and open it again  -->  Index Style
> 4) I fire calc -->  All styles
> 5) I close writer and open it again  -->  Index Style
> 6) I choose Custom styles in calc -->  Custom styles
> 7) I open an other calc -->  Custom styles
> All the same.
> 8) I choose Hierarchical in writer and close the dialog -->  Hierarchical
> 9) I close the dialog in calc and open it -->  All styles
> 10)I open the dialog in writer -->  Hierarchical
> 11)I close writer and open it again  -->  Hierarchical
> 12)I close calc and open it again  -->  All styles
> 13)I close both and open calc -->  All styles
> 14)I open writer -->  Hierarchical
> 15)I choose Applied styles in calc -->  Applied styles
> 16)I close calc and open it again -->  Applied styles
> 17)I open an other calc -->  Applied styles
> etc...
>
> My question : is the problem in 11) and 14) ?

If I read this, and remember well what I read in the first mails about
this, I would say 11 and 14 are correct.

Regards,
Cor

jonathon-6 jonathon-6

Re: Styles and Formatting