Styling of website menu broken

Stefan Weigel Stefan Weigel

Styling of website menu broken

Hi,

FYI:

I just added another issue to
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Development

In short, look at this:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/6/60/Bildschirmfoto-1.png

Stefan

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Styling of website menu broken

Hi, :-)

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 02:14, Stefan Weigel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just added another issue to
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Development
>
> In short, look at this:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/6/60/Bildschirmfoto-1.png

Should we just rename "Mailing List Interface" as "Nabble"? For me it's
not a very communicative name, but it's a quick and dirty fix for the
problem...

David Nelson

Am 29.01.2011 19:24, schrieb David Nelson:

>> In short, look at this:
>> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/6/60/Bildschirmfoto-1.png
>
> Should we just rename "Mailing List Interface" as "Nabble"? For me it's
> not a very communicative name, but it's a quick and dirty fix for the
> problem...

We still would run into problems, whenever it comes to a line wrap
in the menu.

Also see:
http://go.mail-archive.com/K76jahCoRLmek7CwdtJY9JPSGA8=

Stefan

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Styling of website menu broken

Hi, :-)

I renamed it "Nabble" as a quick fix, but really the CSS needs fixing,
as you say.

David Nelson

davidnelson davidnelson

Re: Styling of website menu broken

Hi, :-)

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 02:34, Stefan Weigel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Also see:
> http://go.mail-archive.com/K76jahCoRLmek7CwdtJY9JPSGA8=

Yes, I saw and already  responded.

David Nelson

Ivan M. Ivan M.

Re: Styling of website menu broken

Hi David, all,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:35 AM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, :-)
>
> I renamed it "Nabble" as a quick fix, but really the CSS needs fixing,
> as you say.

I've emailed Christian the CSS/image fix. However, if at all possible,
please try to structure the website in a way that doesn't require a
two-line secondary navigation (I know this is difficult since we rely
on the default system sans-serif font).

Regards,
Ivan.

Wheatbix Wheatbix

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Ivan M. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David, all,
>
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:35 AM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, :-)
>>
>> I renamed it "Nabble" as a quick fix, but really the CSS needs fixing,
>> as you say.
>
> I've emailed Christian the CSS/image fix. However, if at all possible,
> please try to structure the website in a way that doesn't require a
> two-line secondary navigation (I know this is difficult since we rely
> on the default system sans-serif font).
>
> Regards,
> Ivan.

I am sure I missed this discussion, but what is the reasoning not to
use drop down suckerfish menus?

Michael Wheatland

Re: Styling of website menu broken

Hi Ivan, *,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Ivan M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 7:35 AM, David Nelson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, :-)
>>
>> I renamed it "Nabble" as a quick fix, but really the CSS needs fixing,
>> as you say.
>
> I've emailed Christian the CSS/image fix.

I don't like the fix, i.e. I dislike having the menu spread over two
lines, hence I hacked something up with javascript that reduces the
padding to make it fit in one single line.
If the text is too big to fit with a padding of 10px (left+right),
then the line will just exceed the header area, and will be centered.

Without having javascript turned on the menu will just continue to the
right, next to the header.

the staging site should now contain loooong entries, so that you will
get the exceeds width even with default settings.

So please check this for possible regressions
http://pumbaa.documentfoundation.org:7780/

Note: only the main-menu navigation has been adjusted, the
second-level one still uses the float method.

> However, if at all possible,
> please try to structure the website in a way that doesn't require a
> two-line secondary navigation (I know this is difficult since we rely
> on the default system sans-serif font).

This of course still holds true, exceeding the predefined width of the
styling elements should be avoided. But at least now it will handle
the situation more gracefully.

ciao
Christian

Re: Styling of website menu broken

Hi Michael,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Michael Wheatland
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Ivan M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am sure I missed this discussion, but what is the reasoning not to
> use drop down suckerfish menus?

Indeed this is missing the point of this discussion. This discussion
is about the elements not having enough horizontal space to fit within
the navigation bar, and thus spreading over two lines, messing up the
layout. It is not about submenus or similar, hover-menus (as already
used on the sidebar navigation menu btw) won't solve this, as the main
tabs are meant to be visible at all times, not only on hover.

ciao
Christian

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Styling of website menu broken

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Michael Wheatland
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Ivan M. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I am sure I missed this discussion, but what is the reasoning not to
>> use drop down suckerfish menus?
>
> Indeed this is missing the point of this discussion. This discussion
> is about the elements not having enough horizontal space to fit within
> the navigation bar, and thus spreading over two lines, messing up the
> layout. It is not about submenus or similar, hover-menus (as already
> used on the sidebar navigation menu btw) won't solve this, as the main
> tabs are meant to be visible at all times, not only on hover.

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.
Is there any reason we are not using hover (suckerfish) menus on the
primary menus as well as an always visible secondary menu which is
context sensitive?

Re: Styling of website menu broken

Hi Stefan, *,

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Stefan Weigel
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just added another issue to
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Development
>
> In short, look at this:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/6/60/Bildschirmfoto-1.png

I added the fix I added to the staging site to the live site.

Entries are forced into a single line using css, and then javascript
will adjust the padding so that it fits in the header-space. (if a
minimum padding of 10px left&right still isn't enough, then the menu
is shifted left and exceeds the header-are.
It degrades well without javascript (when too big, then it will just
exceed the right margin and works well in IE6 & IE 7 (according to
netrender website), and of course in firefox and webkit (chromium).

ciao
Christian