Suggestions for LibreOffice

Help_Please Help_Please

Suggestions for LibreOffice

I am new to this forum. So please .... be kind.      I have been using LibreOffice for some time now; home use only.  I have two suggestions to pose for possible inclusion into LibreOffice. So, here goes.
Suggestion One:    Include "Check for updates"  to perform online checking for updates to LibreOffice. At present, it appears that the only way to find out if there are any updates is by receiving an email; or maybe by a third-party application ... such as SUMo.

Suggestion Two:   I would like to see a "navigation" tool (short-cut) or whatever you call it/them, that when used will send the user to the end of any type document or form and to the end of the last line, data, etc.  At present, I have not found any such "tool" to do this.  I have to manually scroll down to the end of the document in order to add more data to a document.  This can be very time consuming particularly if there is a large amount of data.  This navigation tool needs to be available for all types of documents, forms, data sheets, whatever.

Anyway, thanks for listening.
Pedro Pedro

Re: Suggestions for LibreOffice

Hi Help_Please

Welcome to the LibreOffice Users mailing list ;)

Help_Please wrote
Suggestion One:    Include "Check for updates"  to perform online checking for updates to LibreOffice. At present, it appears that the only way to find out if there are any updates is by receiving an email; or maybe by a third-party application ... such as SUMo.
Too late :) It's already done. It will be included in the upcoming version 3.5.0 (or you can try it in 3.5.0 Beta3
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/pre-releases/ if you don't mind experimental builds)
BTW SUMo is good but it is a Windows only solution. LibreOffice is multi or cross-platform ;)

Help_Please wrote
Suggestion Two:   I would like to see a "navigation" tool (short-cut) or whatever you call it/them, that when used will send the user to the end of any type document or form and to the end of the last line, data, etc.  At present, I have not found any such "tool" to do this.  I have to manually scroll down to the end of the document in order to add more data to a document.  This can be very time consuming particularly if there is a large amount of data.  This navigation tool needs to be available for all types of documents, forms, data sheets, whatever.
Ctrl+End does this. And Ctrl+Home does the reverse (jump to the beginning. This works in most (all?) OSes and applications.

Now that Wikipedia is back from the courageous SOPA/PIPA blackout see Text Editing in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_keyboard_shortcuts

Enjoy LibreOffice ;)
Tom Tom

Re: Suggestions for LibreOffice

It is great to see people offer suggestions and to approach this list first so we can see which team to send ideas to.  Most of the teams here have a wish-list or "feature request" thing to track ideas.

Sorry your ideas this time are already implemented or in the process of being added but do keep on thinking up more.  Even better would be if you could join one of the teams or just have a look at what they do until you find a team you enjoy being part of or contributing too.  Some teams are down the left-hand-side here
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Main_Page
or perhaps better to poke around the official site
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/

All good stuff :)
Many thanks and regards from
Tom :)

Calvin Kim Calvin Kim

On 01/19/2012 01:30 AM, Pedro wrote:

> Suggestion Two:   I would like to see a "navigation" tool (short-cut) or
> whatever you call it/them, that when used will send the user to the end of
> any type document or form and to the end of the last line, data, etc.  At
> present, I have not found any such "tool" to do this.  I have to manually
> scroll down to the end of the document in order to add more data to a
> document.  This can be very time consuming particularly if there is a
> large amount of data.  This navigation tool needs to be available for all
> types of documents, forms, data sheets, whatever.
>
> Ctrl+End does this. And Ctrl+Home does the reverse (jump to the beginning.
> This works in most (all?) OSes and applications.

Also, <F5> gives you navigation toolbar called 'Navigator'.
Select what you want to navigate(search) like tables, frames, sections, etc.
Then normal next/previous page button will change to your setup.
For an example, if you have 10 tables scattered throughout 200 pages of
document, goto Navigator<F5>, select 'Tables', then with only 10 clicks
you can go through(find) all tables easily.

SARoets SARoets

Re: Re: [libreoffice-users] Re: Suggestions for LibreOffice

Unsubscribe me please!

dave_in_NJ dave_in_NJ

Re: Suggestions for LibreOffice

I have been looking for the suggestion bin, hope you do not mind me adding to this thread.

there are two things I would like to see.  being a total user, I have no idea how easy it is to do either.

first, I would like to have separate icons so I can just open calc or writer and not have to open a home page, then select the application.

second, and this has bugged me from the earliest incarnations of all windoz programs.  open a super fast page.  just display the software and not an hourglass.  none of the menu items need to work instantly, maybe file open ?
notepad and such open in a second.  I can start to jot my notes down as the width and depth of the menus are loading.

Another wish list item.  I have my hard disk partitioned so I have all my wordprocessing files in one folder and all my spreadsheet files in another.  I have to navigate back and forth.  if I am in the spreadsheet, I have to save-as, then navigate to the calc folder.  there may be advantages for doing this another way, but this is my wish list.

Thanks for offering this software.  you folks are wonderful for making this available.

Dave

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

On 01/28/2012 12:04 PM, dave_in_NJ wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been looking for the suggestion bin, hope you do not mind me adding
> to this thread.
>
> there are two things I would like to see.  being a total user, I have no
> idea how easy it is to do either.
>
> first, I would like to have separate icons so I can just open calc or writer
> and not have to open a home page, then select the application.
>
> second, and this has bugged me from the earliest incarnations of all windoz
> programs.  open a super fast page.  just display the software and not an
> hourglass.  none of the menu items need to work instantly, maybe file open ?
> notepad and such open in a second.  I can start to jot my notes down as the
> width and depth of the menus are loading.
>
> Another wish list item.  I have my hard disk partitioned so I have all my
> wordprocessing files in one folder and all my spreadsheet files in another.
> I have to navigate back and forth.  if I am in the spreadsheet, I have to
> save-as, then navigate to the calc folder.  there may be advantages for
> doing this another way, but this is my wish list.
The problem is, as designed, LO is unified suite not separate programs.
Technically MSO is a collection of separate programs that have been
integrated. Thus, LO using on location for saving data while MSO, being
separate programs, can save to different locations. I do not know how
difficult it would be to have multiple save locations based on file
types in LO

> Thanks for offering this software.  you folks are wonderful for making this
> available.
>
> Dave
For your suggestions, I suggests filing a "bug" report and mark it as
enhancement, https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/.

Jay Lozier

"Ing. Jiří Hladůvka" "Ing. Jiří Hladůvka"

Dne 28.1.2012 18:04, dave_in_NJ napsal(a):

> Hi,
>
> I have been looking for the suggestion bin, hope you do not mind me adding
> to this thread.
>
> there are two things I would like to see.  being a total user, I have no
> idea how easy it is to do either.
>
> first, I would like to have separate icons so I can just open calc or writer
> and not have to open a home page, then select the application.

If you work in Windows open the folder where the LibO is installed and
find the
"program: folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 3.4\program)
Then sort the files by type to have the .exe files on the top of list.
Drag and drop their icons to the desktop to create shortcuts (e.g.
scalc.exe for Calc)
Using the shortcuts wil open the desired application directly.

> Another wish list item.  I have my hard disk partitioned so I have all my
> wordprocessing files in one folder and all my spreadsheet files in another.
> I have to navigate back and forth.  if I am in the spreadsheet, I have to
> save-as, then navigate to the calc folder.  there may be advantages for
> doing this another way, but this is my wish list.
Create on desktop shortcuts to those folders and start editing your
documents in them
(right click - new - Libo table ... the menu items may be different
originaly in English)
When saving the document the starting folder should be offered)

By the way - I think that storing the documents into folders depending
on used application
is not the best idea.
I prefere to store documents using "a problem structure folders" (e.g.
DATA/Clients/Company1/Reports/Financial/2011/...)

Best regards
Jiri

--
Ing. Jiří Hladůvka - REVIDA

http://www.revida.sk
mailto:[hidden email]

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

2012/1/19 Help_Please <[hidden email]>:
> Suggestion One:    Include "Check for updates"  to perform online checking
> for updates to LibreOffice.

Your distro should take care of that for you automatically.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Tom Tom

Re: Suggestions for LibreOffice

This thread is a good one to 'hijack' for your purpose :)  The link for posting "wish-list" items or "Feature requests" (whatever you want to call them) is
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/
without a dot at the end.  When you post a bug-report one of the drop-downs has "Feature request" or something similar.

Please let us know which Operating System you are using.  Most including Windows do have individual icons already but not cluttering up the desktop.  You can add them there.  In Windows Xp click on the "Start" button then

"All Programs" - LibreOffice ...

Now right-click on Writer and choose

"Send to .." - "Desktop (create shortcut)"

Since you also use Calc it might be good to do the same with that one but since you don't seem to use the rest you don't need to have them cluttering up desktop 'real-estate'.

Another way of opening files is just to double-click on them, or right-click and then the button "Open with ...".  LibreOffice should be in the list but only if you have already opened that sort of file with LibreOffice.  You can choose to always open with this app and that tick-box is already ticked-by-default in Windows.

Navigation might be easier if you use the "Places" panel on the left-hand-side of the load/save dialogue box.  It might be possible that you have it set to "Explorer/Tree" instead of "Places".  In most OSes you can, to some extent, set which folders are displayed in there but i am not sure how to set mount-points in Windows.  Different partitions should be there already tho.

Dne 28.1.2012 18:04, dave_in_NJ napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I have been looking for the suggestion bin, hope you do not mind me adding
> to this thread.
>
> there are two things I would like to see.  being a total user, I have no idea how easy it is to do either.
>
> first, I would like to have separate icons so I can just open calc or writer and not have to open a home page, then select the application.

If you work in Windows open the folder where the LibO is installed and find the
"program: folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 3.4\program)
Then sort the files by type to have the .exe files on the top of list.
Drag and drop their icons to the desktop to create shortcuts (e.g. scalc.exe for Calc)
Using the shortcuts wil open the desired application directly.

> Another wish list item.  I have my hard disk partitioned so I have all my wordprocessing files in one folder and all my spreadsheet files in another.  I have to navigate back and forth.  if I am in the spreadsheet, I have to save-as, then navigate to the calc folder.  there may be advantages for doing this another way, but this is my wish list.

Create on desktop shortcuts to those folders and start editing your documents in them (right click - new - Libo table ... the menu items may be different originaly in English) When saving the document the starting folder should be offered)

By the way - I think that storing the documents into folders depending on used application is not the best idea.  I prefer to store documents using "a problem structure folders" (e.g. DATA/Clients/Company1/Reports/Financial/2011/...)

Best regards
Jiri

-- Ing. Jiří Hladůvka - REVIDA