Suggests

Next » 12
Roberta Roberta

Suggests

Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013 one's?
Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???

Roberta Roberta

Suggests

Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013 one's?
Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Suggests

On 02/03/2013 07:58 AM, Roberta wrote:
> Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013 one's?
> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???
       If I understand correctly, MS Office 2013 is a copyrighted work.
Remember the recent court battle over the similar appearances of cell
phones and the billion dollar judgment? Being similar to something that
is copyrighted is grounds for legal actions.
       Besides, why should LIbreOffice be a MS Office look alike?

--Dan

krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Suggests

On 02/03/2013 07:58 AM, Roberta wrote:
> Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013 one's?
> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???

If LO gets too similar to MSO's user interface, then MS could take TDF
to court for "infringements" to their look and feel of their office
packages.  Their pocked change is in the millions of dollars for legal
fees to push any company away from looking too much like what they do.
MS and Apple have patented things like "finger movements".  The pinch
and page turning movements are patented by Apple so if they wanted, they
could take EVERY tablet company to court to prevent them from using it.
MS has patents like that. They could claim it and take a small company
to court and break that company with legal fees.  MS has done that before.

SO
I do not want LO to look like MSO.  Actually I do not like MSO's ribbon
look and feel.  I do not like MS Win8's tablet icon style of desktop,
just like I do not like Unity's look and feel for Ubuntu [kept Ubuntu
but switched to MATE d.e.].

The user interface designers did a lot of work to make it easy to use
and to stay away from anything that might make a different office
package company fee like we "stoletheir designs".

---

The "artwork on Writer"? Are you talking about MSO's clipart system?
Patented, I believe. If the individual clipart file are not working with
Writer, well that is a different question all together. Give us an
example of the file mime type [.jpg, .png, .pic, .gif, .tif, and others]

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/CheatSheets
This is not finished, but on that page you will see a list of image file
types that LO uses.  Many of the older file types are no longer used my
most of the market.  I have some old Corel Draw clipart that I am
converting over to other formats soLO, GIMP, and other image working
package can deal with them.

AG AG

Re: Suggests

On 03/02/13 13:35, Dan Lewis wrote:
> On 02/03/2013 07:58 AM, Roberta wrote:
>> Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013
>> one's?
>> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???
<snip>
> Besides, why should LIbreOffice be a MS Office look alike?
>
> --Dan

+1

Kieran Peckett Kieran Peckett

Re: Suggests

Well, on Windows Vista, 7 and 8, anyone can make their own ribbon apps,
done through an API.

Also, without a ribbon, at least on windows, we will lose people who would
otherwise switch from MSO. Even if it is Optional, it makes sense,
especially when you hear MS's reasons for letting the cluttered toolbars &
menus: see this forum post:
http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/270?page=1#comment-22151

On 3 February 2013 15:00, AG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/02/13 13:35, Dan Lewis wrote:
>
>> On 02/03/2013 07:58 AM, Roberta wrote:
>>
>>> Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013
>>> one's?
>>> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???
>>>
>> <snip>
>
>  Besides, why should LIbreOffice be a MS Office look alike?
>>
>> --Dan
>>

> +1

Declan Moriarty Declan Moriarty

Re: Suggests

LibO to look like MS Office - No! I tried MSO 2010 Starter edition? on a netbook that was free with advertising.  No menus!  People who use macs must be fuddy duddys since macs use menus!  If MS want to abolish menus then I don't want to know.  I read a review of Office 2007 I think it was by the RNIB and they were scathing about the ribbon.  You didn't know where you were if you were totally blind.  I think the problems have been sorted out now, but not good.

Declan Moriarty

________________________________
Well, on Windows Vista, 7 and 8, anyone can make their own ribbon apps,
done through an API.

Also, without a ribbon, at least on windows, we will lose people who would
otherwise switch from MSO. Even if it is Optional, it makes sense,
especially when you hear MS's reasons for letting the cluttered toolbars &
menus: see this forum post:
http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/270?page=1#comment-22151

On 3 February 2013 15:00, AG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/02/13 13:35, Dan Lewis wrote:
>
>> On 02/03/2013 07:58 AM, Roberta wrote:
>>
>>> Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013
>>> one's?
>>> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???
>>>
>> <snip>
>
>  Besides, why should LIbreOffice be a MS Office look alike?
>>
>> --Dan
>>

> +1

John Meyer John Meyer

Re: Suggests

Developing it on your own is one thing; distributing it is quite another,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff799534.aspx.  Also, I don't like
that interface; I think it was the worst idea MS came up with until
somebody thought it would be a neat idea to turn a desktop into a mobile
tablet (sans actual touch screen).

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Kieran Peckett <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Well, on Windows Vista, 7 and 8, anyone can make their own ribbon apps,
> done through an API.
>
> Also, without a ribbon, at least on windows, we will lose people who would
> otherwise switch from MSO. Even if it is Optional, it makes sense,
> especially when you hear MS's reasons for letting the cluttered toolbars &
> menus: see this forum post:
> http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/270?page=1#comment-22151
>

> On 3 February 2013 15:00, AG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> <snip>
> >
> >  Besides, why should LIbreOffice be a MS Office look alike?
> >>
> >> --Dan
> >>

> > +1
> >

> > --
> http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/>
> > deleted

jmadero jmadero

Re: Suggests

I think this thread is missing the details of what a tremendous task
this would be to begin with. Our developers are already stretched
incredibly thin, doing something like this is unrealistic at any point
in the near future. If it's even wanted, is a different discussion, but
I think the reality is it's not going to happen because of lack of man
power - that's enough to say, no, we will not be looking like Office 2013.

Best Regards,
Joel

On 02/03/2013 09:19 AM, John Meyer wrote:

> Developing it on your own is one thing; distributing it is quite another,
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff799534.aspx.  Also, I don't like
> that interface; I think it was the worst idea MS came up with until
> somebody thought it would be a neat idea to turn a desktop into a mobile
> tablet (sans actual touch screen).
>

> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Kieran Peckett <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Well, on Windows Vista, 7 and 8, anyone can make their own ribbon apps,
>> done through an API.
>>
>> Also, without a ribbon, at least on windows, we will lose people who would
>> otherwise switch from MSO. Even if it is Optional, it makes sense,
>> especially when you hear MS's reasons for letting the cluttered toolbars &
>> menus: see this forum post:
>> http://en.libreofficeforum.org/node/270?page=1#comment-22151

>>>   Besides, why should LIbreOffice be a MS Office look alike?
>>>>

>>> +1
>>>

>>> --
>> http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/>
>>> deleted

>> deleted

Johnny Rosenberg Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Suggests

2013/2/3 Dan Lewis <[hidden email]>:
> On 02/03/2013 07:58 AM, Roberta wrote:
>>
>> Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013
>> one's?
>> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???

Personally I keep wondering: Those people who think LibreOffice should
look like MS Office, why don't they just keep using MS Office instead?
That's what they want anyway, obviously. I don't, so I use
LibreOffice, because I like it better, and it has better features
(such as multi-platform support and more). So where's the problem?

I don't mind a better user interface, but better doesn't automatically
mean more MS Office like.

Johnny Rosenberg

>       If I understand correctly, MS Office 2013 is a copyrighted work.
> Remember the recent court battle over the similar appearances of cell phones
> and the billion dollar judgment? Being similar to something that is
> copyrighted is grounds for legal actions.
>       Besides, why should LIbreOffice be a MS Office look alike?
>
> --Dan

Paolo Debortoli Paolo Debortoli

Re: Suggests

Il 03/02/2013 22:26, Johnny Rosenberg ha scritto:

> 2013/2/3 Dan Lewis <[hidden email]>:
>> On 02/03/2013 07:58 AM, Roberta wrote:
>>> Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013
>>> one's?
>>> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???
> Personally I keep wondering: Those people who think LibreOffice should
> look like MS Office, why don't they just keep using MS Office instead?
> That's what they want anyway, obviously. I don't, so I use
> LibreOffice, because I like it better, and it has better features
> (such as multi-platform support and more). So where's the problem?
>

> I don't mind a better user interface, but better doesn't automatically
> mean more MS Office like.
>

> Johnny Rosenberg
>
>>        If I understand correctly, MS Office 2013 is a copyrighted work.
>> Remember the recent court battle over the similar appearances of cell phones
>> and the billion dollar judgment? Being similar to something that is
>> copyrighted is grounds for legal actions.
>>        Besides, why should LIbreOffice be a MS Office look alike?
>>
>> --Dan

>> deleted

I think that ms is more dealing with marketing then users.  maybe
somebody find some initial difficulties in getting used to LO when they
leave mso, but I have never heard LO users who really miss the mso
interface.  when I find myself using mso I connot find the voices in the
menu, but would never change to that (just ask why do people spend money
for complicated things they don't need, instead of turning to LO ??).
LO's interface and menus are clear and easy to use, no need to change;
the changes in mso will convince people to leave it  (as has been told
for the last ms oss).

--
www.libreoffice.org

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Suggests

       First, I would not want LO to resemble MsFt ... [numerous reasons
;-) ]
            so going to your second question:

       Any images which you have on your computer, can be added to LO's
IMPRESS and/or writer;
            merely click on add the image -> locate the image on the
machine -> select.

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Roberta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013 one's?
> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Suggests

       from a legal point, being the same, not merely similar, is grounds
for copyright infringement.

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Dan Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 02/03/2013 07:58 AM, Roberta wrote:

>> Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013
>> one's?
>> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???
>>
>       If I understand correctly, MS Office 2013 is a copyrighted work.
> Remember the recent court battle over the similar appearances of cell
> phones and the billion dollar judgment? Being similar to something that is
> copyrighted is grounds for legal actions.
>       Besides, why should LIbreOffice be a MS Office look alike?
>
> --Dan

Kieran Peckett Kieran Peckett

Re: Suggests

It won't be copyright infringement on Windows if we use MS's API, then it
won't be - or we can make an entirely new style, rather than replicate the
ribbon. Maybe something like a combination of the ribbon and the bar that
you get on MSO on OS X?
On 3 Feb 2013 23:48, "anne-ology" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>        from a legal point, being the same, not merely similar, is grounds
> for copyright infringement.
>

> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Dan Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 02/03/2013 07:58 AM, Roberta wrote:
> >
> >> Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013
> >> one's?
> >> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???
> >>
> >       If I understand correctly, MS Office 2013 is a copyrighted work.
> > Remember the recent court battle over the similar appearances of cell
> > phones and the billion dollar judgment? Being similar to something that
> is
> > copyrighted is grounds for legal actions.
> >       Besides, why should LIbreOffice be a MS Office look alike?
> >
> > --Dan

nabbler nabbler

Re: Suggests

On 03/02/2013, Roberta <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can you make libreoffice's interface more similar to the office 2013 one's?

No thank you. Can you stop complaining, open your wallet and buy m$???

> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???

Why doesn't LO draw documents open in visio??? Ask m$!

Il 04/02/2013 08:22,  ha scritto:
> Another thing... why doesn't artwork work on writer???

artwork ?  sorry, in case it is a image format, try to convert / export
to another format, or try to look for tools, extensions to convert /
import it....   if you mean  the tool 'wordart' of ms office, you cannot
import it in LO at the moment, you need to use the fontwork tool of LO
writer (activate the grafic toolbar, then choose the fontwork bottom
from there...  insert the object, double click it and insert the
text).    hope this help.

--
www.libreoffice.org

Tom Tom

Re: Suggests

Perhaps a couple of people could do this as an Extension/Add-on rather than making LibreOffice dependant on it?

>________________________________

Dan Lewis Dan Lewis

Re: Suggests

      My observations: about 23 hours ago, Roberta sent the original
post. Since that time, she has not answered any of the inquiries about
her concerns. Why, I do not know. But it appears that she is not really
interested in providing us with any more information. So, it might be
time to end this email thread until she does.

--Dan

On 02/04/2013 06:25 AM, Tom Davies wrote:

> Hi :)
> Perhaps a couple of people could do this as an Extension/Add-on rather
> than making LibreOffice dependant on it?
> Regards from
> Tom :)

>     *From:* Kieran Peckett <[hidden email]>

Tom Tom

Re: Suggests

Hi :)
+1
I think we wee a bit too bullying about it.  There was a simple question but somehow we all got a LOT too heated about it.  I think we need to be ready with simple answers that are a lot more professionally considered.  I'm often pretty bad at dealing with that sort of question too.  It is good to feel emotional and "love" things but if that starts turning to hating other things (and the people that use them or like them) then it's all gone a bit wonky somewhere.  I need to watch out for that in myself too, of course.

>________________________________

anne-ology anne-ology

Re: Suggests

       I suspect you're right.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Dan Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

     My observations: about 23 hours ago, Roberta sent the original post.

> Since that time, she has not answered any of the inquiries about her
> concerns. Why, I do not know. But it appears that she is not really
> interested in providing us with any more information. So, it might be time
> to end this email thread until she does.
>
> --Dan
>

> On 02/04/2013 06:25 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
>
>> Hi :)
>> Perhaps a couple of people could do this as an Extension/Add-on rather
>> than making LibreOffice dependant on it?
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)
>>

>>     *From:* Kieran Peckett <[hidden email]>

Next » 12