Superscript and Subscript Character Buttons in Writer :::----> Calc

VinceB VinceB

Superscript and Subscript Character Buttons in Writer :::----> Calc

Hi:

Hope all are well and safe.

In Windows 10x64 Home and LibreOffice 7.0.3.1 there are
buttonsavailablefor superscript and subscript characters within the
Writer module.  Can thesebutton functions (somehow) be madeavailable
from within the Calc module?

Best wishes for a healthy, prosperous 2021 New Year.

Regards,

VinceB.

Dave Barton-4 Dave Barton-4

Re: Superscript and Subscript Character Buttons in Writer :::----> Calc

On 27/12/2020 16:24, WA.TWORSX via AOL wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Hope all are well and safe.
>
> In Windows 10x64 Home and LibreOffice 7.0.3.1 there are
> buttonsavailablefor superscript and subscript characters within the
> Writer module.  Can thesebutton functions (somehow) be madeavailable
> from within the Calc module?
>
> Best wishes for a healthy, prosperous 2021 New Year.
>
> Regards,
>
> VinceB.

Hi Vince,

Returning your kind wishes back to yourself.

Ready-made buttons in Calc = No.

However, for an extra couple of mouse finger twitches, you can
select/highlight part of the TEXT entry in a cell and use the Calc menu
"Format -> Text -> Superscript" or Keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Shift+P".

Remember that the cell is formatted as text and cannot be readily used
in a calculation.

Regards
Dave

VinceB VinceB

On 12/27/2020 11:59 AM, Dave Barton wrote:

> On 27/12/2020 16:24, WA.TWORSX via AOL wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> Hope all are well and safe.
>>
>> In Windows 10x64 Home and LibreOffice 7.0.3.1 there are
>> buttonsavailablefor superscript and subscript characters within the
>> Writer module.  Can thesebutton functions (somehow) be madeavailable
>> from within the Calc module?
>>
>> Best wishes for a healthy, prosperous 2021 New Year.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> VinceB.
> Hi Vince,
>
> Returning your kind wishes back to yourself.
>
> Ready-made buttons in Calc = No.
>
> However, for an extra couple of mouse finger twitches, you can
> select/highlight part of the TEXT entry in a cell and use the Calc menu
> "Format -> Text -> Superscript" or Keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Shift+P".
>
> Remember that the cell is formatted as text and cannot be readily used
> in a calculation.
>
> Regards
> Dave

TNX Dave. I'll keep the Calc Format > Text > Superscript method that you
have outlined in my mind.

I have been finding formulae at various math tutorial websites and
pasting them into a Calc file, typically by first washing the text
string through Notepad and/or LibreOffice Writer.  When I stumbled
across Writer's convenient superscript button, I thought that it would
be great if Calc could have those buttons available.  My goal, in part,
is to model a formula of interest within Calc, e.g., a^2 = b^2 + c^2 -
2bc Cos A; this is one way that allows me to learn how to manipulate
Calc's functions. So, I used Writer's superscript button and then
pasting the formula into my Calc file, as a text string, of course.

Regards,

VinceB

Brian Barker Brian Barker

At 17:59 28/12/2020 -0500, Vince Bonly wrote:
>I have been finding formulae at various math tutorial websites and
>pasting them into a Calc file, typically by first washing the text
>string through Notepad and/or LibreOffice Writer.

Surely there is no need to "wash" anything if you paste as Unformatted text?

>My goal, in part, is to model a formula of interest within Calc,
>e.g., a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc Cos A; this is one way that allows me to
>learn how to manipulate Calc's functions. So, I used Writer's
>superscript button and then pasting the formula into my Calc file,
>as a text string, of course.

A perfect task for tables in a text (Writer) document, not a
spreadsheet. Time taken to learn the basics of tables in a text
document: three minutes? Oh, and even easier: if you copy the range
of cells you currently have in a spreadsheet and paste that into a
text document, choosing possibly HTML or "Formatted text" in
the  Paste Special dialogue, a table will be created for you.

Note that text tables are worth knowing about: they are frequently
useful for formatting material in a text document that doesn't
immediately appear to be tabular.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker