Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

Next » 12
Sebastian G. <bastik> Sebastian G. <bastik>

Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others are
not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data as well.

Do you use the quick starter?

This is more or less private. There's no goal (other than to satisfy my
curiosity) of this survey, but someone might use it for it's own
purposes. e.g. discussing about changing installer defaults, creating a
light installer... and so on.

I start (OpenOffice usage included):

Writer = 90%
Calc = 09%
Impress = 01%
Draw = 00%
Base = 00%
Math = 00%

I don't use the quick starter.

Writer: to write private letters
Calc: to create some listings and calculations
Impress: to watch presentations from others (Just created one on my own
for fun)
Draw: I just don't draw anything. If I did in the past there was paint
(gulp). Inkscape works pretty good for me and it's a multi-platform
tool. (Just for used for testing purpose)
Base: I don't create any databases.
Math: I don't needed that in the past.

Regards,
bastik

28 Nov 2010, 19:09 (+0100)

--
Impurities make things work and sometimes unique.
Go Libre!

Robert Boehm Robert Boehm

Re: Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

On 11/28/2010 12:09 PM, Sebastian G. <bastik> wrote:

> I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others
> are not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data
> as well.
>
> Do you use the quick starter?
>
> This is more or less private. There's no goal (other than to satisfy
> my curiosity) of this survey, but someone might use it for it's own
> purposes. e.g. discussing about changing installer defaults, creating
> a light installer... and so on.
>
> I start (OpenOffice usage included):
>
> Writer = 90%
> Calc = 09%
> Impress = 01%
> Draw = 00%
> Base = 00%
> Math = 00%
>

> I don't use the quick starter.
>
> Writer: to write private letters
> Calc: to create some listings and calculations
> Impress: to watch presentations from others (Just created one on my
> own for fun)
> Draw: I just don't draw anything. If I did in the past there was paint
> (gulp). Inkscape works pretty good for me and it's a multi-platform
> tool. (Just for used for testing purpose)
> Base: I don't create any databases.
> Math: I don't needed that in the past.
>
> Regards,
> bastik
>
> 28 Nov 2010, 19:09 (+0100)

Writer:  80%
Calc:  10%
Impress:  6%
Draw:  3%
Others: 1%

Do not use Quickstarter because the computers are fast enough
that it's not necessary.

I use Draw for making components in newsletters that I write.

Bob

--

Ray's Rule of Precision:
        Measure with a micrometer.  Mark with chalk.  Cut with an axe.

mirek2 mirek2

2010/11/28 Sebastian G. <bastik> <[hidden email]>

> I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others are
> not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data as well.
>
> Do you use the quick starter?
>
> This is more or less private. There's no goal (other than to satisfy my
> curiosity) of this survey, but someone might use it for it's own purposes.
> e.g. discussing about changing installer defaults, creating a light
> installer... and so on.
>
> I start (OpenOffice usage included):
>
> Writer = 90%
> Calc = 09%
> Impress = 01%
> Draw = 00%
> Base = 00%
> Math = 00%
>

> I don't use the quick starter.
>
> Writer: to write private letters
> Calc: to create some listings and calculations
> Impress: to watch presentations from others (Just created one on my own for
> fun)
> Draw: I just don't draw anything. If I did in the past there was paint
> (gulp). Inkscape works pretty good for me and it's a multi-platform tool.
> (Just for used for testing purpose)
> Base: I don't create any databases.
> Math: I don't needed that in the past.
>
> Regards,
> bastik

Writer: 100%

I left Impress for the presentation program in Google Docs, as all the
presentations I make I share, I sometimes collaborate on presentations, and
I find Impress pretty unusable. All of my other shared documents I also edit
in Google Docs.
I use Inkscape instead of Draw, and I used to use Adobe Fireworks (which I
still find preferable, but, unfortunately, it fares horribly under Linux).

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

desktop themes become part of all OOo apps

I'm not sure if this has been fixed in LO, but i changed my theme on my
netbook and in the past on desktop to the obsidian KDE theme. its a dark
theme with a charcoal Grey look. i went to open up a power point and
what happened is that the color on the slides and any images that were
there weren't showing up for me. is there a bug floating around for this
issue? i'm on 64bit Kubuntu 10.10 maverick.

PeterLairo PeterLairo

On Sun. 28.11.2010 19:09, Sebastian G. <bastik> wrote:
> I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others are
> not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data as well.
>
> Do you use the quick starter?

No!

I always turn the damn thing off, and it annoys me that the "quick
starter" (aka needlessly-slow-down-my-PC-startup-time) is still ON by
default. No application should be so arrogant as to start-up with the OS
per default. You don't know what apps the users *typically* uses (I
browse and play RAM-hungry games). I can't (well, it's OSS, so I can)
believe this dreaded default hasn't been turned off by now.

Mozilla/Firefox also experimented with a quick starter for a while, and
fortunately abolished the horrid idea.

It seems OO (and LO even more so) still hasn't understood the REAL
reason why people overwhelmingly choose non-OSS software (Firefox being
the *exception*): Usability, and a rational understanding what a regular
user *really* is (clue: it's not you).

Peter Lairo

The browser you can trust:  www.Firefox.com
Reclaim Your Inbox:         www.GetThunderbird.com

Islam:  http://www.jihadwatch.org/islam101/
Israel: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/myths2/
Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:  http://www.venganza.org/
Anthropogenic Global Warming skepsis:    http://tinyurl.com/AGW-Skepsis

Robert Derman Robert Derman

Sebastian G. <bastik> wrote:

> I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others
> are not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data
> as well.
>
> Do you use the quick starter?
>
> This is more or less private. There's no goal (other than to satisfy
> my curiosity) of this survey, but someone might use it for it's own
> purposes. e.g. discussing about changing installer defaults, creating
> a light installer... and so on.
>
> I start (OpenOffice usage included):
>
> Writer = 90%
> Calc = 09%
> Impress = 01%
> Draw = 00%
> Base = 00%
> Math = 00%
>

> I don't use the quick starter.
>
> Writer: to write private letters
> Calc: to create some listings and calculations
> Impress: to watch presentations from others (Just created one on my
> own for fun)
> Draw: I just don't draw anything. If I did in the past there was paint
> (gulp). Inkscape works pretty good for me and it's a multi-platform
> tool. (Just for used for testing purpose)
> Base: I don't create any databases.
> Math: I don't needed that in the past.
>
> Regards,
> bastik
>
> 28 Nov 2010, 19:09 (+0100)
I use Writer a minimum of 1 hour every day, weekends included, probably
an average of 3 hours a day.   I don't use any of the other components
at all.  As far as I am concerned, I would like to see a Writer Only
package offered.

Cyril Arnaud Cyril Arnaud

Re: Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

I use OpenOffice daily, and I installed OpenOffice in one of my
customers office.
That's a smal office but they are using 60% Writer, 20% Calc, 20%
Impress.
They use Impress a lot (for creation and reviewing presentation made by
others).
They like Writer and Calc very much, Impress ... not so much (especially
when they receive a presentation in .pptx ...)

Draw, Base are used really really marginally.

I don't use the quickstarter (see bug
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/562027)

-Cyril

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 19:09 +0100, Sebastian G. wrote:

> I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others are
> not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data as well.
>
> Do you use the quick starter?
>
> This is more or less private. There's no goal (other than to satisfy my
> curiosity) of this survey, but someone might use it for it's own
> purposes. e.g. discussing about changing installer defaults, creating a
> light installer... and so on.
>
> I start (OpenOffice usage included):
>
> Writer = 90%
> Calc = 09%
> Impress = 01%
> Draw = 00%
> Base = 00%
> Math = 00%
>

> I don't use the quick starter.
>
> Writer: to write private letters
> Calc: to create some listings and calculations
> Impress: to watch presentations from others (Just created one on my own
> for fun)
> Draw: I just don't draw anything. If I did in the past there was paint
> (gulp). Inkscape works pretty good for me and it's a multi-platform
> tool. (Just for used for testing purpose)
> Base: I don't create any databases.
> Math: I don't needed that in the past.
>
> Regards,
> bastik
>
> 28 Nov 2010, 19:09 (+0100)
>
> --
> Impurities make things work and sometimes unique.
> Go Libre!

Christoph Noack-2 Christoph Noack-2

Re: Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

Hi Sebastian!

Am Sonntag, den 28.11.2010, 19:09 +0100 schrieb Sebastian G. :
> I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others are
> not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data as well.

I hope it's allowed to add other's peoples usage data ;-)

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Phase_1

Detailed data on the application use can be found here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/f/fb/OOoUserSurvey2009_Final.ods

[...]

> This is more or less private. There's no goal (other than to satisfy my
> curiosity) of this survey, but someone might use it for it's own
> purposes. e.g. discussing about changing installer defaults, creating a
> light installer... and so on.

The private approach is perfect - roughly 99,998% of the people who
would be affected by these answers are not addressed via this mailing
list.

> I start (OpenOffice usage included):
>
> Writer = 90%
> Calc = 09%
> Impress = 01%
> Draw = 00%
> Base = 00%
> Math = 00%

Depends on what I'm working on, I would say ...
Writer = 50%
Calc = 25%
Draw = 0% (or, just reproducing bugs *g*)
Base = 0%
Math = 0%

> I don't use the quick starter.

It's up to the distribution default. Since it is usually residing in the
RAM (I only suspend my computer), it doesn't matter (to me).

> Writer: to write private letters

Same here. Or to read / review some larger texts my girlfriend works on.

> Calc: to create some listings and calculations

Same here.

> Impress: to watch presentations from others (Just created one on my own
> for fun)

Mostly creating presentations, e.g. for the trade fairs and conferences
and such stuff.

> Draw: I just don't draw anything. If I did in the past there was paint
> (gulp). Inkscape works pretty good for me and it's a multi-platform
> tool. (Just for used for testing purpose)

Inkscape, of course :-)

> Base: I don't create any databases.
> Math: I don't needed that in the past.

Well, I don't use Math at the moment, but I used it heavily in the past.

Cheers,
Christoph

Frank Esposito Frank Esposito

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Mirek M. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2010/11/28 Sebastian G. <bastik> <[hidden email]>
>
> > I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others are
> > not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data as well.
> >
> > Do you use the quick starter?

never used quickstarter, under windows it is disabled

Writer = 85%
Calc = 15%
Impress = 00%
Draw = 0.05%
Base = 0.01%
Math =0%

and i still am forced to use MSO word and Excel due to incompatibilities :(

RGB.ES RGB.ES

Re: Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

The usage depends upon the particular project, but I mainly use
Writer: IF the project needs simple diagrams, then I use Draw, IF the
project needs some simple math, then I use Math (if it needs complex
math, I use LyX... sorry, but we physicists cannot live without LaTeX
/ XeTeX).
I use Calc only as "register": my needs are too basic for a database.
Impress only to answer questions on the Forums and see pps sent by "friends".
Don't use Base.
Quickstarter? What's that?... ;)

Robert Holtzman Robert Holtzman

Re: Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 01:30:32PM -0600, Robert Derman wrote:

            ...........snip............

> I use Writer a minimum of 1 hour every day, weekends included,
> probably an average of 3 hours a day.   I don't use any of the other
> components at all.  As far as I am concerned, I would like to see a
> Writer Only package offered.

Maybe you should use Abiword and dump LO and/or OOo unless there is some
feature of the suites that Abiword lacks. It would free up a lot of disk
space.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Robert Holtzman wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 01:30:32PM -0600, Robert Derman wrote:
>
>             ...........snip............
>

>> I use Writer a minimum of 1 hour every day, weekends included,
>> probably an average of 3 hours a day.   I don't use any of the other
>> components at all.  As far as I am concerned, I would like to see a
>> Writer Only package offered.
>>

> Maybe you should use Abiword and dump LO and/or OOo unless there is some
> feature of the suites that Abiword lacks. It would free up a lot of disk
> space.

I have hundreds of Gigabytes of free disk space!  And as I recall, Abi
doesn't have word completion.  I forgot to mention I am now on page 40
of my personal journal and on page 150 of one novel and page 50 of
another.  I need a powerful word processor, I just don't need a
spreadsheet, presentation program, drawing program or database.    Oh,
and I don't have LO yet, won't until it gets past beta.

Peter Lairo wrote:

> On Sun. 28.11.2010 19:09, Sebastian G. <bastik> wrote:
>> I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others are
>> not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data as
>> well.
>>
>> Do you use the quick starter?
>
> No!
>
> I always turn the damn thing off, and it annoys me that the "quick
> starter" (aka needlessly-slow-down-my-PC-startup-time) is still ON by
> default. No application should be so arrogant as to start-up with the
> OS per default. You don't know what apps the users *typically* uses (I
> browse and play RAM-hungry games). I can't (well, it's OSS, so I can)
> believe this dreaded default hasn't been turned off by now.
>
> Mozilla/Firefox also experimented with a quick starter for a while,
> and fortunately abolished the horrid idea.
>
> It seems OO (and LO even more so) still hasn't understood the REAL
> reason why people overwhelmingly choose non-OSS software (Firefox
> being the *exception*): Usability, and a rational understanding what a
> regular user *really* is (clue: it's not you).
Many if not most proprietary applications have TSR modules like OOo
quickstart, only they hide the fact from the user and give you no option
not to have them load at every boot.  Plus there were many modules of
Windows XP that ran in the background all the time whether you ever used
them or not.  I have not looked that deep into Win 7 yet, so I am not
sure if it has some of these.  Actually this is what I HATE about most
anti-virus software, it runs constantly in the background and bogs down
your computer.  Actually AV programs should only run when you do
something that could actually introduce a virus, like downloading your
email, the rest of they time they should just wait and not actually run.

Wheatbix Wheatbix

Re: Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

To give a bit of background, I am a chemical engineer involved in
analysis and optimisation of a minerals processing facility.This
likely means that my usage statistics are quite different from home or
casual users however I believe these statistics somewhat reflect the
use case in the business world.

Do you use the quick starter?
No

 Writer with Math = 20%
 Calc = 60%
 Impress = 20%
 Draw = 00%
 Base = 00%

Writer and Math: To write technical reports
Calc: Massive amount of data being extracted, process and analysed
from a third party database.
Impress: As business communication tool
Draw: Prefer Inkscape and GIMP due to UI and ease of use.
Base: Use dedicated multiple MySQL databases due to power and
stability requirements

>From a business point of view: Widespread use of writer, spreadsheets
and presentations.
Draw and Base are targeted incorrectly for a business market where
Drawings are either very sketchy or a very high standard and databases
are designed to be very basic, stable and process critical unlike the
features of Base and it's MS counterpart.
Spreadsheet to 3rd party database compatibility is very important.

eskroni eskroni

Re: [libreoffice-users] Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

Hi Sebastian,

these are my numbers:

2010/11/28 Sebastian G. <bastik> <[hidden email]>

> I'd like to know which components are most used and maybe why others are
> not. If you used OpenOffice before you can include your usage data as well.

I start (OpenOffice usage included)
Writer = 90%
Calc = 08%
Impress = 01%
Draw = 00%
Base = 00%
Math = 01%

Writer: mostly private letters or articles. I've used writer to write my
Diploma Thesis.
Calc: not used much now. During my studies for calculations needed in some
of my experiments.
Impress: Occasionally I give a talk about OOo, so I use Impress to create
the presentation needed for this.
Draw: not used
Base: not used
Math: not used much now. I needed it to write nice looking lab reports. :)

Sigrid

Sveinn í Felli Sveinn í Felli

Re: Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

I do a bunch of DTP and construction-related work. Then some
FOSS promotion too, along with translations of such
software. If the Anaphraseus extension would work better
with LibO/OOo, then I'd probably dump OmegaT for Writer.

> Do you use the quick starter?
No, disable the thing if I notice its running

Writer = 30%
Calc = 40%
Impress = 10%
Draw = 20%
Math = 01%
Base = 01%

Writer: Reports, narratives and even proofreading of HTML text.

Calc: Analysis of data, simple to complex calculations,
table layout and structuring before entering DTP.

Impress: Occasional lectures, speeches.

Draw: For simple flowcharts and illustrations, quite nice in
that kind of work. Inkscape, SK1, Krita, GIMP, Hugin,
Blender and Scribus for anything serious (icc profiles, etc).

Math: Occasionnally I have to demonstrate its existance -
and try to figure out some compatibility with MS-Equation.

Base: More into using MySQL databases, but I recon it can be
useful for small thingies. Love the general connectivity of
OOo/LibO with many kinds of DBs.

Maybe Draw should be targeted more towards 'Visio'-style
usage? And/or to be an internal image handler instead of
being a standalone-app?

Cheers,
Sveinn í Felli

spaetz spaetz

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 20:26:07 +0100, Peter Lairo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No application should be so arrogant as to start-up with the OS
> per default.

Then you will be delighted to hear that it has been effectively turned
off in Linux by default, if I overheard it correctly.

> It seems OO (and LO even more so) still hasn't understood the REAL
> reason why people overwhelmingly choose non-OSS software (Firefox being
> the *exception*): Usability, and a rational understanding what a regular
> user *really* is (clue: it's not you).

hey hey there, take a chill pill. There might be many reasons why people
choose MS Office, but the quickstarter itself will not be it. And as for
accusing LO to not understanding reasons BLABLA. LibO is now 1 months &
1 day old, sorry for not having saved the world and creating world piece
yet.

I am sure we will get to a sensible feature and default set, at least I
see that as one of the advantages of not being controlled by a single
corporate entity anymore. Previously, they could do whatever they (and
their marketing dep. wanted).

Sebastian

italovignoli italovignoli

On 11/29/2010 03:23 PM, Sebastian Spaeth wrote:

> I am sure we will get to a sensible feature and default set, at least I
> see that as one of the advantages of not being controlled by a single
> corporate entity anymore. Previously, they could do whatever they (and
> their marketing dep. wanted).

Please avoid these statements, as the OOo project has never been driven
by marketing people (and I have been inside that project for over seven
years). After 30 years in marketing of high-technology products, I can
officially say that the OOo project is definitely the single software
project most adverse to marketing in IT history.

 From a marketing point of view, I can say - and I can show evidence -
that OOo has always been driven by developers, or - if you prefer - by
technical people. Marketing is a different discipline, and one of the
main objectives of marketing is to serve the user (although this is
definitely not the case in high technology).

--
Italo Vignoli - The Document Foundation
E-mail: [hidden email]

Italo Vignoli
Director - The Document Foundation
Michele Leonardo Colagrossi Michele Leonardo Colagrossi

Re: Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

Hi Sebastian

Work:
80% Writer
15% Calc
05% Impress

Privat:
95 % Writer
05 % Calc

I use that quickstarter

Bye

Frank Esposito Frank Esposito

Re: Survey: Usage of LibreOffice components

> OOo has always been driven by developers, or - if you prefer - by technical
> people.

I think this is a valid and a clear dividing aspect of OO especially
when compared to MS and Apple products. MSO is developed and marketed
with the business user in mind, whereas Apple products are designed,
then developed then marketed. OO just seems to be developed and the
user and overall design are an afterthought.

just my thoughts.

Next » 12