Table Breaks in Writer

Robert Burnett Robert Burnett

Table Breaks in Writer

Good afternoon, after 2-3 hours today, no idea how many hours on other days on the following problem, so I have decided to contact you to find the solution.

Problem, I use writer and have a 2 page document that holds a table on each page.  As time passes the size of the table on page one changes so that rows end up in page two.  When this happens I do a table split and everything is fine.

The problem arises when I attempt to remove the gap/break between the tables, this occurs when I need to join the tables on page two.  The same problem albeit on page one occurs when I reduce the rows in the table on page one, the break rises from page two, so that I end up with a gap between two tables on the bottom of page one.  The table merge is greyed out, no other action works so I have to close the document, open the document in microsoft and all I do is, place the cursor in the gap and hit cut, gap gone and the two tables are now joined, on either page.

How can I manage this in Libreoffice as it is embarrassing to have to close one software program and open another for such a simple task when other people are observing as it indicates a) I don't know what I am doing or b) libreoffice has a software issue.

Your assistance would be appreciated in providing a solution, please

Regards

Robert

Tom Tom

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

Hi :)
This is a public mailing list so it's a bit informal.  Hopefully several people will help steer this to arrive at a right answer that suits you.  We might have to ask a few 'dumb' questions to try to clarify things along the way.  Feel free to do the same.
1.  Have you considered using Calc instead?  If there is stuff outside of the tables then it might be easier to use Calc and then have text-boxes or "merge cells" to contain the normal text.
2.  I take it the size of the table on page 1 grows as stuff is entered into the table?  Is that data re-typed in from a printed source?  if so it might be possible to get Base (database program) to read that source directly and produce a more dynamic report.

Keeping it in Writer might be best for now though.

I found that i had to delete all the newlines between the 2 tables, so that it looked like they were joined even though they weren't really.  Then the "merge tables" options un-"greyed out" and that let me really join the table together.

In my case i had a different number of columns in each table but that didn't seem to worry it at all.  Then
Table - Select - table
selected all of both tables.

It might help to toggle the back-to-front P in the toolbar so that you can see all the non-printing characters so that you can see the newline characters that appear when you press Enter.  That makes it easier to see what is going on and makes it easier to delete the right things.

The best documentation (imo) is here
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications
There are also video tutorials for this and other OpenSource programs at
http://spoken-tutorial.org/
The quality of the English in the ones i watched was better than that spoken in most places around where i live.  There are other guides and Faqs that might also prove useful and there is always the in-built help too (F1 or the Help menu)

Please feel free to write in to the list as soon as a problem arises even before you have had a look around for yourself.  Hopefully you might find the answer before we do (by googling it or through documentation or something) and if you do please let the list know the crucial bit of the answer.

Don't worry about switching programs to get the odd one or few things done.  During a migration from one program to another it is quite normal to fully understand the old way and not yet be fully familiar with the new one.  As time goes on you find less and less need to go back to the old program and may even find yourself batching up a few jobs for final tweaks in the old program.

Most of us have both LO and MS Office on our systems.  Often it's just to help out colleagues with their problems when they don't know how to do something in MSO, or to check how things look.  Usually it's an old version.  Sometimes employers like to buy the newest thing even though we don't really use it.  After using LO for even a little while you will probably find that you gain a MUCH deeper understanding of how MSO works and your colleagues will seek your guidance.  So, don't worry about them ridiculing you right now, to quote Gandhi "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win".

MS Office doesn't usually allow people to have 2 versions of their Office Suite on the same machine.  A normal install will typically wipe out the previous version.  So when they try to upgrade to MSO 2013 they will be really stuck with tons of things they don't know how to do and no way of going back to the old version to get them done there.  Typically they will need to go off on training courses and all sorts costing either than or the company a lot of money just in order to do what they could do on the older versions.  MSO prefers to make people spend money and make life difficult rather than give them an easy migration route.

So, feel free to ask and if you find the answer first then just let us know!

________________________________

steveedmonds steveedmonds

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

And trying now I had to <delete> the lines between and couldn't
<backspace> the line. Then I could merge tables. Always wondered how to
do that.
Steve
On 2013-09-08 05:48, Tom Davies wrote:

> [...]
>
> MS Office doesn't usually allow people to have 2 versions of their Office Suite on the same machine.  A normal install will typically wipe out the previous version.  So when they try to upgrade to MSO 2013 they will be really stuck with tons of things they don't know how to do and no way of going back to the old version to get them done there.  Typically they will need to go off on training courses and all sorts costing either than or the company a lot of money just in order to do what they could do on the older versions.  MSO prefers to make people spend money and make life difficult rather than give them an easy migration route.
>
> So, feel free to ask and if you find the answer first then just let us know!

nabbler nabbler

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

On 07/09/2013, Robert Burnett <rob@artl.org.uk> wrote:

> Problem, I use writer and have a 2 page document that holds a table on each
> page.  As time passes the size of the table on page one changes so that rows
> end up in page two.  When this happens I do a table split and everything is
> fine.

By default, tables are created with the function 'split table' activated.

> The problem arises when I attempt to remove the gap/break between the
> tables, this occurs when I need to join the tables on page two.  The same
> problem albeit on page one occurs when I reduce the rows in the table on
> page one, the break rises from page two, so that I end up with a gap between
> two tables on the bottom of page one.  The table merge is greyed out, no
> other action works so I have to close the document, open the document in
> microsoft and all I do is, place the cursor in the gap and hit cut, gap gone
> and the two tables are now joined, on either page.

Replication: table 1 created with 40 rows, table 2 created with 20
rows. With the view of non-printed characters  (menu
bar|view|non-printing charachers (¶)), the paragraph break was removed
from between the two tables. Then both tables were selected (ctrl+a)
and merged (menu bar|table|merge tables). The navigator (f5) confirms
that table 1 merges with table 2 and only table 2 remains in the
document.

> How can I manage this in Libreoffice as it is embarrassing to have to close
> one software program and open another for such a simple task when other
> people are observing as it indicates a) I don't know what I am doing or b)
> libreoffice has a software issue.

Below is an example: copy the source code below and save to your
computer as an .fodt file (e.g. tabletest.fodt), the open the document
using LO. You should be able to follow the instructions above to
achieve a merged table.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<office:document xmlns:office="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:office:1.0"
                 xmlns:style="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:style:1.0"
                 xmlns:text="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:text:1.0"
                 xmlns:table="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:table:1.0"
                 xmlns:draw="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:drawing:1.0"
                 xmlns:fo="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:xsl-fo-compatible:1.0"
                 xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
                 xmlns:meta="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:meta:1.0"
                 xmlns:number="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:datastyle:1.0"
                 xmlns:svg="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:svg-compatible:1.0"
                 xmlns:chart="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:chart:1.0"
                 xmlns:dr3d="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:dr3d:1.0"
                 xmlns:math="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML"
                 xmlns:form="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:form:1.0"
                 xmlns:script="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:script:1.0"
                 xmlns:config="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:config:1.0"
                 xmlns:ooo="http://openoffice.org/2004/office"
                 xmlns:ooow="http://openoffice.org/2004/writer"
                 xmlns:oooc="http://openoffice.org/2004/calc"
                 xmlns:dom="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events"
                 xmlns:xforms="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms"
                 xmlns:rpt="http://openoffice.org/2005/report"
                 xmlns:of="urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:of:1.2"
                 xmlns:xhtml="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
                 xmlns:grddl="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view#"
                 xmlns:tableooo="http://openoffice.org/2009/table"
                 xmlns:field="urn:openoffice:names:experimental:ooo-ms-interop:xmlns:field:1.0"
                 xmlns:formx="urn:openoffice:names:experimental:ooxml-odf-interop:xmlns:form:1.0"
                 xmlns:css3t="http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/"
                 office:version="1.2"
                 grddl:transformation="http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/1.2/xslt/odf2rdf.xsl"
                 office:mimetype="application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text">
   <office:meta>
                               meta:page-count="3"
                               meta:paragraph-count="0"
                               meta:word-count="0"
                               meta:character-count="0"/>
      <dc:date>2013-09-08T08:43:12</dc:date>
      <dc:creator>~</dc:creator>
   </office:meta>
   <office:settings>
      <config:config-item-set config:name="ooo:view-settings">
         <config:config-item config:name="ViewAreaTop" config:type="int">28365</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="ViewAreaLeft" config:type="int">0</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="ViewAreaWidth" config:type="int">27042</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="ViewAreaHeight" config:type="int">16727</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="ShowRedlineChanges" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="InBrowseMode" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item-map-indexed config:name="Views">
            <config:config-item-map-entry>
               <config:config-item config:name="ViewId" config:type="string">view2</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="ViewLeft" config:type="int">5020</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="ViewTop" config:type="int">35253</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="VisibleLeft" config:type="int">0</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="VisibleTop" config:type="int">28365</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="VisibleRight" config:type="int">27040</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="VisibleBottom" config:type="int">45090</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="ZoomType" config:type="short">0</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="ViewLayoutColumns" config:type="short">1</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="ViewLayoutBookMode" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="ZoomFactor" config:type="short">109</config:config-item>
               <config:config-item config:name="IsSelectedFrame" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
            </config:config-item-map-entry>
         </config:config-item-map-indexed>
      </config:config-item-set>
      <config:config-item-set config:name="ooo:configuration-settings">
         <config:config-item config:name="AddParaSpacingToTableCells" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintPaperFromSetup" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="IsKernAsianPunctuation" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintReversed" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="LinkUpdateMode" config:type="short">1</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="DoNotCaptureDrawObjsOnPage" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="SaveVersionOnClose" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintEmptyPages" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintSingleJobs" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="AllowPrintJobCancel" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="AddFrameOffsets" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintLeftPages" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintTables" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="ProtectForm" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="ChartAutoUpdate" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintControls" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrinterSetup" config:type="base64Binary"/>
         <config:config-item config:name="CurrentDatabaseDataSource" config:type="string"/>
         <config:config-item config:name="LoadReadonly" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="CurrentDatabaseCommand" config:type="string"/>
         <config:config-item config:name="ConsiderTextWrapOnObjPos" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="ApplyUserData" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="AddParaTableSpacing" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="FieldAutoUpdate" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="IgnoreFirstLineIndentInNumbering" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="TabsRelativeToIndent" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="IgnoreTabsAndBlanksForLineCalculation" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintAnnotationMode" config:type="short">0</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="AddParaTableSpacingAtStart" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="UseOldPrinterMetrics" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="TableRowKeep" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrinterName" config:type="string"/>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintFaxName" config:type="string"/>
         <config:config-item config:name="UnxForceZeroExtLeading" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintTextPlaceholder" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="DoNotJustifyLinesWithManualBreak" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintRightPages" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="CharacterCompressionType" config:type="short">0</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="UseFormerTextWrapping" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="IsLabelDocument" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="AlignTabStopPosition" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintHiddenText" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="DoNotResetParaAttrsForNumFont" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintPageBackground" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="CurrentDatabaseCommandType" config:type="int">0</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="InvertBorderSpacing" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="OutlineLevelYieldsNumbering" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintProspect" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintGraphics" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="SaveGlobalDocumentLinks" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintProspectRTL" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="UseFormerLineSpacing" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="AddExternalLeading" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="UseFormerObjectPositioning" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="RedlineProtectionKey" config:type="base64Binary"/>
         <config:config-item config:name="ClipAsCharacterAnchoredWriterFlyFrames" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="UseOldNumbering" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="CollapseEmptyCellPara" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintDrawings" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrinterIndependentLayout" config:type="string">high-resolution</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="TabAtLeftIndentForParagraphsInList" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="PrintBlackFonts" config:type="boolean">false</config:config-item>
         <config:config-item config:name="UpdateFromTemplate" config:type="boolean">true</config:config-item>
      </config:config-item-set>
   </office:settings>
   <office:scripts>
      <office:script script:language="ooo:Basic">
         <ooo:libraries>
            <ooo:library-embedded ooo:name="Standard"/>
         </ooo:libraries>
      </office:script>
   </office:scripts>
   <office:font-face-decls>
                       style:font-family-generic="roman"
                       style:font-pitch="variable"/>
                       style:font-family-generic="swiss"
                       style:font-pitch="variable"/>
                       style:font-family-generic="system"
                       style:font-pitch="variable"/>
                       style:font-family-generic="system"
                       style:font-pitch="variable"/>
   </office:font-face-decls>
   <office:styles>
                                   draw:start-line-spacing-horizontal="0.283cm"
                                   draw:start-line-spacing-vertical="0.283cm"
                                   draw:end-line-spacing-horizontal="0.283cm"
                                   draw:end-line-spacing-vertical="0.283cm"
                                   style:flow-with-text="false"/>
                                     style:writing-mode="lr-tb"
                                     style:font-independent-line-spacing="false">
                                fo:country="GB"
                                style:letter-kerning="true"
                                style:font-size-asian="10.5pt"
                                style:language-asian="zh"
                                style:country-asian="CN"
                                style:font-size-complex="12pt"
                                style:language-complex="hi"
                                style:country-complex="IN"/>
                                     style:punctuation-wrap="hanging"
                                     style:line-break="strict"
                                     style:tab-stop-distance="1.251cm"
                                     style:writing-mode="page"/>
                                fo:font-size="12pt"
                                fo:language="en"
                                fo:country="GB"
                                style:letter-kerning="true"
                                style:font-name-asian="DejaVu Sans"
                                style:font-size-asian="10.5pt"
                                style:language-asian="zh"
                                style:country-asian="CN"
                                style:font-name-complex="Lucida Sans"
                                style:font-size-complex="12pt"
                                style:language-complex="hi"
                                style:country-complex="IN"
                                fo:hyphenate="false"
                                fo:hyphenation-remain-char-count="2"
                                fo:hyphenation-push-char-count="2"/>
                   style:parent-style-name="Standard"
                   style:next-style-name="Text_20_body"
                   style:class="text">
                                style:font-name-asian="DejaVu Sans"
                                style:font-size-asian="14pt"
                                style:font-name-complex="Lucida Sans"
                                style:font-size-complex="14pt"/>
                   style:family="paragraph"
                   style:parent-style-name="Standard"
                   style:class="text">
                   style:parent-style-name="Text_20_body"
                   style:class="list">
                   style:parent-style-name="Standard"
                   style:class="extra">
                                     text:line-number="0"/>
                                style:font-style-asian="italic"
                                style:font-name-complex="Lucida Sans1"
                                style:font-size-complex="12pt"
                                style:font-style-complex="italic"/>
                   style:class="index">
                   style:family="paragraph"
                   style:parent-style-name="Standard"
                   style:class="extra">
      <text:outline-style style:name="Outline">
         <text:outline-level-style text:level="1" style:num-format="">
                                                 fo:text-indent="-0.762cm"
                                                 fo:margin-left="0.762cm"/>
         </text:outline-level-style>
         <text:outline-level-style text:level="2" style:num-format="">
                                                 fo:text-indent="-1.016cm"
                                                 fo:margin-left="1.016cm"/>
         </text:outline-level-style>
         <text:outline-level-style text:level="3" style:num-format="">
                                                 fo:text-indent="-1.27cm"
                                                 fo:margin-left="1.27cm"/>
         </text:outline-level-style>
         <text:outline-level-style text:level="4" style:num-format="">
                                                 fo:text-indent="-1.524cm"
                                                 fo:margin-left="1.524cm"/>
         </text:outline-level-style>
         <text:outline-level-style text:level="5" style:num-format="">
                                                 fo:text-indent="-1.778cm"
                                                 fo:margin-left="1.778cm"/>
         </text:outline-level-style>
         <text:outline-level-style text:level="6" style:num-format="">
                                                 fo:text-indent="-2.032cm"
                                                 fo:margin-left="2.032cm"/>
         </text:outline-level-style>
         <text:outline-level-style text:level="7" style:num-format="">
                                                 fo:text-indent="-2.286cm"
                                                 fo:margin-left="2.286cm"/>
         </text:outline-level-style>
         <text:outline-level-style text:level="8" style:num-format="">
                                                 fo:text-indent="-2.54cm"
                                                 fo:margin-left="2.54cm"/>
         </text:outline-level-style>
         <text:outline-level-style text:level="9" style:num-format="">
                                                 fo:text-indent="-2.794cm"
                                                 fo:margin-left="2.794cm"/>
         </text:outline-level-style>
         <text:outline-level-style text:level="10" style:num-format="">
                                                 fo:text-indent="-3.048cm"
                                                 fo:margin-left="3.048cm"/>
         </text:outline-level-style>
      </text:outline-style>
      <text:notes-configuration text:note-class="footnote" style:num-format="1" text:start-value="0"
                                text:footnotes-position="page"
                                text:start-numbering-at="document"/>
      <text:notes-configuration text:note-class="endnote" style:num-format="i" text:start-value="0"/>
      <text:linenumbering-configuration text:number-lines="false" text:offset="0.499cm" style:num-format="1"
                                        text:number-position="left"
                                        text:increment="5"/>
   </office:styles>
   <office:automatic-styles>
                                      fo:border-right="none"
                                      fo:border-top="0.002cm solid #000000"
                                      fo:border-bottom="0.002cm solid #000000"/>
                                      fo:border-right="none"
                                      fo:border-top="none"
                                      fo:border-bottom="0.002cm solid #000000"/>
                                      fo:border-right="0.002cm solid #000000"
                                      fo:border-top="none"
                                      fo:border-bottom="0.002cm solid #000000"/>
                                      fo:border-right="none"
                                      fo:border-top="0.002cm solid #000000"
                                      fo:border-bottom="0.002cm solid #000000"/>
                                      fo:border-right="none"
                                      fo:border-top="none"
                                      fo:border-bottom="0.002cm solid #000000"/>
                                      fo:border-right="0.002cm solid #000000"
                                      fo:border-top="none"
                                      fo:border-bottom="0.002cm solid #000000"/>
                                       style:print-orientation="portrait"
                                       fo:margin-top="2cm"
                                       fo:margin-bottom="2cm"
                                       fo:margin-left="2cm"
                                       fo:margin-right="2cm"
                                       style:writing-mode="lr-tb"
                                       style:footnote-max-height="0cm">
                                style:distance-after-sep="0.101cm"
                                style:adjustment="left"
                                style:rel-width="25%"
                                style:color="#000000"/>
   </office:automatic-styles>
   <office:master-styles>
   </office:master-styles>
   <office:body>
      <office:text text:use-soft-page-breaks="true">
         <text:sequence-decls>
            <text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Illustration"/>
            <text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Table"/>
            <text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Text"/>
            <text:sequence-decl text:display-outline-level="0" text:name="Drawing"/>
         </text:sequence-decls>
                  <text:p text:style-name="Table_20_Contents"/>
[...]
            <text:soft-page-break/>
                  <text:p text:style-name="Table_20_Contents"/>
                  <text:p text:style-name="Table_20_Contents"/>
                  <text:p text:style-name="Table_20_Contents"/>
                  <text:p text:style-name="Table_20_Contents"/>
                  <text:p text:style-name="Table_20_Contents"/>
                  <text:p text:style-name="Table_20_Contents"/>
         <text:p text:style-name="Standard"/>
[...]
      </office:text>
   </office:body>
</office:document>
nabbler nabbler

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

On 07/09/2013, Robert Burnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Problem, I use writer and have a 2 page document that holds a table on each
> page.  As time passes the size of the table on page one changes so that rows
> end up in page two.  When this happens I do a table split and everything is
> fine.

By default, tables are created with the function 'split table' activated.

> The problem arises when I attempt to remove the gap/break between the
> tables, this occurs when I need to join the tables on page two.  The same
> problem albeit on page one occurs when I reduce the rows in the table on
> page one, the break rises from page two, so that I end up with a gap between
> two tables on the bottom of page one.  The table merge is greyed out, no
> other action works so I have to close the document, open the document in
> microsoft and all I do is, place the cursor in the gap and hit cut, gap gone
> and the two tables are now joined, on either page.

Replication: table 1 created with 40 rows, table 2 created with 20
rows. With the view of non-printed characters  (menu
bar|view|non-printing charachers (¶)), the paragraph break was removed
from between the two tables. Then both tables were selected (ctrl+a)
and merged (menu bar|table|merge tables). The navigator (f5) confirms
that table 1 merges with table 2 and only table 2 remains in the
document.

> How can I manage this in Libreoffice as it is embarrassing to have to close
> one software program and open another for such a simple task when other
> people are observing as it indicates a) I don't know what I am doing or b)
> libreoffice has a software issue.

Below is an example: copy the source code below and save to your
computer as an .fodt file (e.g. tabletest.fodt), the open the document
using LO. You should be able to follow the instructions above to
achieve a merged table.

The mailing list did not accept the source code, which has been posted
at 'pastebin': http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=SHyuZyCY

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

At 18:48 07/09/2013 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:
>Most of us have both LO and MS Office on our systems.

"We" are the subscribers to this mailing list, right?  For the
benefit of thousands of readers, should we correct this by saying
that the idea that most users of LibreOffice also have Microsoft
Office installed is pretty unlikely - indeed, bordering on the risible?

Brian Barker

Tom Tom

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

Hi :)
Hmm, i was really meaning the wider community rather than just people on this list.  With the rapid growth of LibreOffice it is highly likely that most people who have LibreOffice on their system are new to LibreOffice.

Advice about migrations from FSF and other FOSS advocates often seems to suggest keeping whatever office suite a person already has and just add LO (or AOO).  Also because uninstalling&reinstalling MS products is such a pain or because most office workers  have no idea how to uninstall stuff a lot of stuff just stays on the machine whether people use it or not.  For longer-term users  those versions of MSO might be quite ancient, such as MS Office 2003 or earlier, because we haven't bothered to upgrade it.  [shrugs]

Recently OEMs have started putting trial versions of MSO on machines so that people have to pay an additional amount a month or so after starting to use their new machine but in the past it was really difficult to find and buy a machine that didn't have MSO pre-installed.

________________________________
At 18:48 07/09/2013 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:
>Most of us have both LO and MS Office on our systems.

"We" are the subscribers to this mailing list, right?  For the
benefit of thousands of readers, should we correct this by saying
that the idea that most users of LibreOffice also have Microsoft
Office installed is pretty unlikely - indeed, bordering on the risible?

Brian Barker

James Knott James Knott

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

Tom Davies wrote:
> Recently OEMs have started putting trial versions of MSO on machines so that people have to pay an additional amount a month or so after starting to use their new machine but in the past it was really difficult to find and buy a machine that didn't have MSO pre-installed.
> Regards from

A friend of mine got caught in that trap when she bought a new computer
a couple of years ago.  She called me up and asked how she could get
access to her documents.  OpenOffice to the rescue.

Tom Tom

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

Hi :)
Quite.

For most people the answer is to shrug and pay the money because they are unaware of any other option and wherever they bought the machine from is unlikely to know either (or at least not admit to knowing).

I just did a quick search for "computers" on Amazon (since it happened to be open due to someone else's post) and found about 3 out of the first 5 machines it listed claimed to have OpenOffice pre-installed, one of the machines was a chrome-book and the other just didn't seem to mention any programs bundled with the computer.

So, things do seem to be improving a bit but i imagine MS will fight against that.

________________________________
> Recently OEMs have started putting trial versions of MSO on machines so that people have to pay an additional amount a month or so after starting to use their new machine but in the past it was really difficult to find and buy a machine that didn't have MSO pre-installed.
> Regards from

A friend of mine got caught in that trap when she bought a new computer
a couple of years ago.  She called me up and asked how she could get
access to her documents.  OpenOffice to the rescue.

James Knott James Knott

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

Tom Davies wrote:
> For most people the answer is to shrug and pay the money because they are unaware of any other option and wherever they bought the machine from is unlikely to know either (or at least not admit to knowing).
>

> I just did a quick search for "computers" on Amazon (since it happened to be open due to someone else's post) and found about 3 out of the first 5 machines it listed claimed to have OpenOffice pre-installed, one of the machines was a chrome-book and the other just didn't seem to mention any programs bundled with the computer.
>

> So, things do seem to be improving a bit but i imagine MS will fight against that.

When I got a new Thinkpad, a couple of years ago, the first things I did
were:
1) Build a set of recovery discs.
2) Repartition and install Linux
3) Remove all the crapware from Windows, including that "free" MS Office.

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

At 20:30 08/09/2013 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:
>Hmm, i was really meaning the wider community rather than just
>people on this list.

No-one would guess that you meant "we" to mean that!

>Recently OEMs have started putting trial versions of MSO on machines
>so that people have to pay an additional amount a month or so after
>starting to use their new machine ...

So after a month they would either purchase Microsoft Office and not
need LibreOffice or else install LibreOffice and no longer have a
functioning copy of Microsoft Office?  In neither case would they have both ...

Brian Barker

James Knott James Knott

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

Brian Barker wrote:
> So after a month they would either purchase Microsoft Office and not
> need LibreOffice or else install LibreOffice and no longer have a
> functioning copy of Microsoft Office?  In neither case would they have
> both ...

I've had OpenOffice or LibreOffice on work computers that already had MS
Office installed.  I also install the various MS viewers on Windows
computers that I put LibreOffice or OpenOffice on.

Brian Barker Brian Barker

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

At 07:48 09/09/2013 -0400, James Knott wrote:
>I've had OpenOffice or LibreOffice on work computers that already
>had MS Office installed.

Oh, indeed!  But you are hardly a typical user.  And I was commenting
only on the claim that "most of us" have both.

>I also install the various MS viewers on Windows computers that I
>put LibreOffice or OpenOffice on.

Doing this - and leaving the Microsoft Office file types associated
with the viewers - is indeed the best way forward for Windows
users.  That's what I recommend and do.

Brian Barker

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington

Re: Table Breaks in Writer

James wrote,

Brian Barker wrote:
>> So after a month they would either purchase Microsoft Office and not
>> need LibreOffice or else install LibreOffice and no longer have a
>> functioning copy of Microsoft Office?  In neither case would they have
>> both ...

>I've had OpenOffice or LibreOffice on work computers that already had MS
>Office installed.  I also install the various MS viewers on Windows
>computers that I put LibreOffice or OpenOffice on.

Same here.

Virgil