Tabs in selection of text

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tabs in selection of text

I have a number of "paragraphs" of text (job listing section of a
resume) for which I'd like to add tab stops.  I select the lines and
click the tab stop I want, then click in the ruler, but nothing
happens.  I see no menu item to format tabs, though I did stumble into
one dialog box with Tabs that required manual setting and it was unclear
just where those tabs would be applied.  In any case, I can't find that
any more.

In the help document
(https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Inserting_and_Editing_Tab_Stops) it
says for changing one or more paragraphs: "Select the paragraphs, then
click inside the ruler."  That is most definitely not working.  Finally,
if I clear all formatting, I get the default tab stops and could
re-format the entire section that way.  But that's a bit of work given
all the formatting I'd lose.

What do I do to quickly and simply edit tab stops, and why is it so
difficult in LO?

FYI I find the Styles aspect of LibreOffice to be entirely unintuitive
and I've never been able to work with them.  I realize that should be a
goal but it's not possible in my current timeline.

Thank you!


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
steveedmonds steveedmonds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

Hi Carl.
I usually select the paragraph, then click in the ruler on one of the
tabs (upsidedown T) and slide it where I want it.
I do that for as many tabs as I need. I right click on these tabs to
change the type to centre or right aligned as I need.
I then type tabs with the tab key into my text before the required stop
to tab it out to the positions I defined.
It might not be every ones solution, but it works for me.

Steve

On 04/04/2019 13:37, Carl Paulsen wrote:

> I have a number of "paragraphs" of text (job listing section of a
> resume) for which I'd like to add tab stops.  I select the lines and
> click the tab stop I want, then click in the ruler, but nothing
> happens.  I see no menu item to format tabs, though I did stumble into
> one dialog box with Tabs that required manual setting and it was
> unclear just where those tabs would be applied.  In any case, I can't
> find that any more.
>
> In the help document
> (https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Inserting_and_Editing_Tab_Stops)
> it says for changing one or more paragraphs: "Select the paragraphs,
> then click inside the ruler."  That is most definitely not working. 
> Finally, if I clear all formatting, I get the default tab stops and
> could re-format the entire section that way.  But that's a bit of work
> given all the formatting I'd lose.
>
> What do I do to quickly and simply edit tab stops, and why is it so
> difficult in LO?
>
> FYI I find the Styles aspect of LibreOffice to be entirely unintuitive
> and I've never been able to work with them.  I realize that should be
> a goal but it's not possible in my current timeline.
>
> Thank you!
>
>



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

In reply to this post by Carl Paulsen
At 20:37 03/04/2019 -0400, Carl Paulsen wrote:
>I have a number of "paragraphs" of text (job listing section of a
>resume) for which I'd like to add tab stops.

Are these true paragraphs? I'm not sure why you have given the word
scare quotes. If they are not true paragraphs, what you with tab
stops may not behave as you expect.

>I select the lines and click the tab stop I want, then click in the
>ruler, but nothing happens.

"Lines" are not really a word processing concept, as text reflows
automatically as you edit it. Tab stops are applied to paragraphs.
Are you clicking in the *horizontal* ruler, above the text window?
Incidentally, are you simply missing how tab stops work? They do
nothing by themselves: you need also to insert tab *characters* (or
other formatting) into your text to control how the tab stops take effect.

>I see no menu item to format tabs, though I did stumble into one
>dialog box with Tabs that required manual setting and it was unclear
>just where those tabs would be applied.

Tabs are a paragraph property as well as a paragraph style property:
o For paragraph formatting, go to Format | Paragraph... | Tabs (or
right-click | Paragraph... | Tabs).
o For paragraph style formatting, go to Format | Styles and
Formatting... | right-click style | Modify... | Tabs (or right-click
| Edit Paragraph Style... | Tabs).

Paragraph tabs are set in the paragraph currently containing the
insertion point or in all selected paragraphs, whichever is the case.
Paragraph style tabs are set in all paragraphs with that style.

>In the help document
>(https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Inserting_and_Editing_Tab_Stops)
>  it says for changing one or more paragraphs: "Select the
>paragraphs, then click inside the ruler."

It's not necessary to select a single paragraph, in fact, but just to
position the insertion point there. But there is no way to put the
insertion point into multiple paragraphs, so selecting them is the
only way to apply similar tab stops to them (unless you set them in a
paragraph style, which is the better way to go).

>That is most definitely not working.

So what exactly happens when you try? Do you not see a tab stop in the ruler?

>Finally, if I clear all formatting, I get the default tab stops and
>could re-format the entire section that way.

Using default tab stops is a recipe for a word processor document
failing to appear as you see it when it is opened on a remote system
- definitely not what you want to happen to a CV!

>I find the Styles aspect of LibreOffice to be entirely unintuitive
>and I've never been able to work with them. I realize that should be
>a goal but it's not possible in my current timeline.

It never is, of course. But you should find time in future to
understand how they work and save you time.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

On 4/7/19 12:55 PM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 20:37 03/04/2019 -0400, Carl Paulsen wrote:
>> I have a number of "paragraphs" of text (job listing section of a
>> resume) for which I'd like to add tab stops.
>
> Are these true paragraphs? I'm not sure why you have given the word
> scare quotes. If they are not true paragraphs, what you with tab stops
> may not behave as you expect.


Ummmm.  What's the definition of a true paragraph, in particular as
distinct from, say, a line in a bulleted list, and why does that
matter?  I simply want to take lines of text and apply some tab stops to
it (the full set of text prior to the next carriage return, whether a
paragraph or lines of bulleted text or whatever).  These will be left
justified tab stops.  Simple enough I thought.


>> I select the lines and click the tab stop I want, then click in the
>> ruler, but nothing happens.
>
> "Lines" are not really a word processing concept, as text reflows
> automatically as you edit it. Tab stops are applied to paragraphs. Are
> you clicking in the *horizontal* ruler, above the text window?
> Incidentally, are you simply missing how tab stops work? They do
> nothing by themselves: you need also to insert tab *characters* (or
> other formatting) into your text to control how the tab stops take
> effect.

I select the lines of text to which I want to apply the tab stops.  I
click on the tab stop box in the upper left of the document to select
which type of tab I want, then click in the horizontal ruler where I
want that tab to go.  Nothing happens. No tab stop.  I most definitely
MUST be missing how tab stops work, hence why I posted.  But in every
other program I've used it works similarly to how I describe.


>> I see no menu item to format tabs, though I did stumble into one
>> dialog box with Tabs that required manual setting and it was unclear
>> just where those tabs would be applied.
>
> Tabs are a paragraph property as well as a paragraph style property:
> o For paragraph formatting, go to Format | Paragraph... | Tabs (or
> right-click | Paragraph... | Tabs).
> o For paragraph style formatting, go to Format | Styles and
> Formatting... | right-click style | Modify... | Tabs (or right-click |
> Edit Paragraph Style... | Tabs).

That's what's odd.  In the lines of text I want to apply the tabs, there
is no Tab option in Format | Paragraph.  Again, hence my question.  I do
wish I could just set tabs in the ruler as at times I want to apply the
tabs, look at the  result, and make adjustments.  Requiring manual tab
setting makes that process much more cumbersome.


>> In the help document
>> (https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Inserting_and_Editing_Tab_Stops)
>>  it says for changing one or more paragraphs: "Select the paragraphs,
>> then click inside the ruler."
>> That is most definitely not working.
> So what exactly happens when you try? Do you not see a tab stop in the
> ruler?

Exactly.


Carl



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
steveedmonds steveedmonds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

Hi.
What version of LO do you have.
Just as a test, can you click into just 1 line and then add a tab stop
to the ruler.
Steve

On 08/04/2019 10:37, Carl Paulsen wrote:

> On 4/7/19 12:55 PM, Brian Barker wrote:
>
>> At 20:37 03/04/2019 -0400, Carl Paulsen wrote:
>>> I have a number of "paragraphs" of text (job listing section of a
>>> resume) for which I'd like to add tab stops.
>>
>> Are these true paragraphs? I'm not sure why you have given the word
>> scare quotes. If they are not true paragraphs, what you with tab
>> stops may not behave as you expect.
>
>
> Ummmm.  What's the definition of a true paragraph, in particular as
> distinct from, say, a line in a bulleted list, and why does that
> matter?  I simply want to take lines of text and apply some tab stops
> to it (the full set of text prior to the next carriage return, whether
> a paragraph or lines of bulleted text or whatever).  These will be
> left justified tab stops.  Simple enough I thought.
>
>
>>> I select the lines and click the tab stop I want, then click in the
>>> ruler, but nothing happens.
>>
>> "Lines" are not really a word processing concept, as text reflows
>> automatically as you edit it. Tab stops are applied to paragraphs.
>> Are you clicking in the *horizontal* ruler, above the text window?
>> Incidentally, are you simply missing how tab stops work? They do
>> nothing by themselves: you need also to insert tab *characters* (or
>> other formatting) into your text to control how the tab stops take
>> effect.
>
> I select the lines of text to which I want to apply the tab stops.  I
> click on the tab stop box in the upper left of the document to select
> which type of tab I want, then click in the horizontal ruler where I
> want that tab to go.  Nothing happens. No tab stop.  I most definitely
> MUST be missing how tab stops work, hence why I posted.  But in every
> other program I've used it works similarly to how I describe.
>
>
>>> I see no menu item to format tabs, though I did stumble into one
>>> dialog box with Tabs that required manual setting and it was unclear
>>> just where those tabs would be applied.
>>
>> Tabs are a paragraph property as well as a paragraph style property:
>> o For paragraph formatting, go to Format | Paragraph... | Tabs (or
>> right-click | Paragraph... | Tabs).
>> o For paragraph style formatting, go to Format | Styles and
>> Formatting... | right-click style | Modify... | Tabs (or right-click
>> | Edit Paragraph Style... | Tabs).
>
> That's what's odd.  In the lines of text I want to apply the tabs,
> there is no Tab option in Format | Paragraph.  Again, hence my
> question.  I do wish I could just set tabs in the ruler as at times I
> want to apply the tabs, look at the  result, and make adjustments. 
> Requiring manual tab setting makes that process much more cumbersome.
>
>
>>> In the help document
>>> (https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Inserting_and_Editing_Tab_Stops)
>>>  it says for changing one or more paragraphs: "Select the
>>> paragraphs, then click inside the ruler."
>>> That is most definitely not working.
>> So what exactly happens when you try? Do you not see a tab stop in
>> the ruler?
>
> Exactly.
>
>
> Carl
>
>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Dave Howorth Dave Howorth
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 14:32:05 +1200
Steve Edmonds <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi.
> What version of LO do you have.
> Just as a test, can you click into just 1 line and then add a tab stop
> to the ruler.
> Steve

Also what OS?

In addition, can you post an example of the text/document that you
cannot format tabs for somewhere? Perhaps it is a data-dependent
problem, since tab stops work as you expect for other people including
me.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

LO 6.0.5.2 on Mac Sierra (10.12.6)

In some cases I can click into a line and set tabs normally.  In the
document where I had the problem I believe it was a bulleted list or
indented text (hanging indent I think) where I was having the problem. 
I opened the document today and quickly tried it again and can't find
the section I was having problems in.  But I'm pretty sure I removed all
formatting and started over in that section, at which point it worked. 
Wish I could reproduce it, as it was quite frustrating.  My guess is it
was something to do with whatever formatting was applied in that
section.  I don't yet use Styles so any formatting would have been set
manually, and that would have been minimal.

If I encounter it again I'll be sure to post again, and try to post a
sample document.


On 4/8/19 7:19 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 14:32:05 +1200
> Steve Edmonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> What version of LO do you have.
>> Just as a test, can you click into just 1 line and then add a tab stop
>> to the ruler.
>> Steve
> Also what OS?
>
> In addition, can you post an example of the text/document that you
> cannot format tabs for somewhere? Perhaps it is a data-dependent
> problem, since tab stops work as you expect for other people including
> me.
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
steveedmonds steveedmonds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

Hi.
I am on 6.07 but your issue is dredging up some memories where I think I
noticed the same situation.
With a paragraph as a block of text terminating in a line break (rather
than the older paragraph in a book interpretation), I think I noticed
that when I selected multiple paragraphs with different tab settings
that I couldn't edit tab settings in the ruler and there was no TAB tab
in the paragraph format dialogue.
This was before 6.07 which is not showing the issue, may have been 6.05
or 5 series.
In some cases I set the tabs one paragraph at a time, in others I  just
set the default style for the block of text and then re-formatted
characteristics, including tabs.

If there are a lot of paragraphs to format the same way, I would suggest
creating a style and then you can easily apply the same formatting
repeatedly.
Steve

On 09/04/2019 00:34, Carl Paulsen wrote:

> LO 6.0.5.2 on Mac Sierra (10.12.6)
>
> In some cases I can click into a line and set tabs normally.  In the
> document where I had the problem I believe it was a bulleted list or
> indented text (hanging indent I think) where I was having the
> problem.  I opened the document today and quickly tried it again and
> can't find the section I was having problems in.  But I'm pretty sure
> I removed all formatting and started over in that section, at which
> point it worked.  Wish I could reproduce it, as it was quite
> frustrating.  My guess is it was something to do with whatever
> formatting was applied in that section.  I don't yet use Styles so any
> formatting would have been set manually, and that would have been
> minimal.
>
> If I encounter it again I'll be sure to post again, and try to post a
> sample document.
>
>
> On 4/8/19 7:19 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 14:32:05 +1200
>> Steve Edmonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>> What version of LO do you have.
>>> Just as a test, can you click into just 1 line and then add a tab stop
>>> to the ruler.
>>> Steve
>> Also what OS?
>>
>> In addition, can you post an example of the text/document that you
>> cannot format tabs for somewhere? Perhaps it is a data-dependent
>> problem, since tab stops work as you expect for other people including
>> me.
>>
>



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Dan Lewis Dan Lewis
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

In reply to this post by Carl Paulsen

On 4/3/19 8:37 PM, Carl Paulsen wrote:

> I have a number of "paragraphs" of text (job listing section of a
> resume) for which I'd like to add tab stops.  I select the lines and
> click the tab stop I want, then click in the ruler, but nothing
> happens.  I see no menu item to format tabs, though I did stumble into
> one dialog box with Tabs that required manual setting and it was
> unclear just where those tabs would be applied.  In any case, I can't
> find that any more.
>
> In the help document
> (https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Inserting_and_Editing_Tab_Stops)
> it says for changing one or more paragraphs: "Select the paragraphs,
> then click inside the ruler."  That is most definitely not working. 
> Finally, if I clear all formatting, I get the default tab stops and
> could re-format the entire section that way.  But that's a bit of work
> given all the formatting I'd lose.
>
> What do I do to quickly and simply edit tab stops, and why is it so
> difficult in LO?
>
> FYI I find the Styles aspect of LibreOffice to be entirely unintuitive
> and I've never been able to work with them.  I realize that should be
> a goal but it's not possible in my current timeline.
>
> Thank you!

    I missed this when this thread was started. Your 'FYI' statement is
probably the real reason for all of your problems. LibreOffice is
designed to use styles for text creation and/or editing. Manual
formatting can create so many more problems than using styles. Besides
they are harder to solve. The 'Getting Started Guide' has at least one
chapter on styles as does the 'Writer Guide'. When I first began working
on the documentation for OpenOffice.org (early 2000's) and later
LibreOffice, I used this chapters to learn how to use styles. I have
never regretted. I would like to know what is 'unintuitive' with styles.
I am thinking it might be that you think in terms of lines of type
verses groups of paragraphs.

   You also may have some problems with the concept of nesting. Each
paragraph has specific set of characteristics that applies to every
character of the paragraph; it ends with a paragraph break. Character
styles are used to give specific characteristics to a continuous set of
characters within the paragraph.

    Perhaps it might be unintuitive for you to think that each member of
a list can also be a separate paragraph. Yet this might be the best way
to give you document the formatting you want it to have.

Dan


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

Thanks Dan,

I guess what is unintuitive is the CSS-like approach to Styles. I find
CSS to be very difficult when, as you say, you have a complex page and
need to nest various styles and keep track of hierarchies.  When using
LO for text docs, I'm simply wanting to produce a text document with
other elements scattered around.  I want a simple interface that gives
me decent control over presentation but doesn't require in-depth
studying to learn how to use it.  I want to format a document or
section, then occasionally apply a set of tabs (or other formats) within
a subset that applies only to that section.

And I'd rather not have to build a style just for tabs to a bulleted
list when I may only use that specific style once ever. I do a lot of
document specific formatting and I don't want a massive list of styles
to wade through every time I want tabs at specific locations.  What
would be even worse would be to have to repeat all the other styles
components for that section in my new tabs style.  (Sounds like that may
not be necessary if that's what you mean by nesting.)

I will eventually learn about Styles and no-doubt start using them for
big-picture formatting.  For often-repeated styling I can see the value
of Styles.  But I don't see using them for every one-off stylistic
change I make in a document, and if that means I have to remove styles
for a sub-section in order to add or change something for just that
section, I suspect I'll end up highly frustrated with LO.

I get that I may be an unusual case and no one develops for that
oddball.  But I can't believe I'm alone.  Back in the early 2000s I'd
hoped OO (and now it's offspring) would be a viable alternative to the
big bully in the room, but for a number of reasons (not just Styles) I
just don't see that happening.  And at least in my circles, it's use has
dropped off significantly.

Carl


On 4/8/19 4:44 PM, Dan Lewis wrote:

>
> On 4/3/19 8:37 PM, Carl Paulsen wrote:
>> I have a number of "paragraphs" of text (job listing section of a
>> resume) for which I'd like to add tab stops.  I select the lines and
>> click the tab stop I want, then click in the ruler, but nothing
>> happens.  I see no menu item to format tabs, though I did stumble
>> into one dialog box with Tabs that required manual setting and it was
>> unclear just where those tabs would be applied.  In any case, I can't
>> find that any more.
>>
>> In the help document
>> (https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Inserting_and_Editing_Tab_Stops)
>> it says for changing one or more paragraphs: "Select the paragraphs,
>> then click inside the ruler."  That is most definitely not working. 
>> Finally, if I clear all formatting, I get the default tab stops and
>> could re-format the entire section that way.  But that's a bit of
>> work given all the formatting I'd lose.
>>
>> What do I do to quickly and simply edit tab stops, and why is it so
>> difficult in LO?
>>
>> FYI I find the Styles aspect of LibreOffice to be entirely
>> unintuitive and I've never been able to work with them.  I realize
>> that should be a goal but it's not possible in my current timeline.
>>
>> Thank you!
>
>    I missed this when this thread was started. Your 'FYI' statement is
> probably the real reason for all of your problems. LibreOffice is
> designed to use styles for text creation and/or editing. Manual
> formatting can create so many more problems than using styles. Besides
> they are harder to solve. The 'Getting Started Guide' has at least one
> chapter on styles as does the 'Writer Guide'. When I first began
> working on the documentation for OpenOffice.org (early 2000's) and
> later LibreOffice, I used this chapters to learn how to use styles. I
> have never regretted. I would like to know what is 'unintuitive' with
> styles. I am thinking it might be that you think in terms of lines of
> type verses groups of paragraphs.
>
>   You also may have some problems with the concept of nesting. Each
> paragraph has specific set of characteristics that applies to every
> character of the paragraph; it ends with a paragraph break. Character
> styles are used to give specific characteristics to a continuous set
> of characters within the paragraph.
>
>    Perhaps it might be unintuitive for you to think that each member
> of a list can also be a separate paragraph. Yet this might be the best
> way to give you document the formatting you want it to have.
>
> Dan
>
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
Carl Paulsen Carl Paulsen
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

In reply to this post by steveedmonds
Steve, I think you may have hit the nail on the head.  I'll look into
upgrading and see if that changes anything.  I think the issue may well
have been that I was selecting "paragraphs" with different formatting
(my quotes aren't to draw attention but rather to indicate I don't mean
only book-like paragraphs) and trying to apply tabs to those.  If I
repeatedly use a specific format, I'd definitely consider Styles.  But
there seem to be a lot of complicated considerations for using Styles
(the nesting/heirarchy topics I mentioned in my other reply).

Anyway, thank you.

Carl


On 4/8/19 3:53 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:

> Hi.
> I am on 6.07 but your issue is dredging up some memories where I think I
> noticed the same situation.
> With a paragraph as a block of text terminating in a line break (rather
> than the older paragraph in a book interpretation), I think I noticed
> that when I selected multiple paragraphs with different tab settings
> that I couldn't edit tab settings in the ruler and there was no TAB tab
> in the paragraph format dialogue.
> This was before 6.07 which is not showing the issue, may have been 6.05
> or 5 series.
> In some cases I set the tabs one paragraph at a time, in others I  just
> set the default style for the block of text and then re-formatted
> characteristics, including tabs.
>
> If there are a lot of paragraphs to format the same way, I would suggest
> creating a style and then you can easily apply the same formatting
> repeatedly.
> Steve
>
> On 09/04/2019 00:34, Carl Paulsen wrote:
>> LO 6.0.5.2 on Mac Sierra (10.12.6)
>>
>> In some cases I can click into a line and set tabs normally.  In the
>> document where I had the problem I believe it was a bulleted list or
>> indented text (hanging indent I think) where I was having the
>> problem.  I opened the document today and quickly tried it again and
>> can't find the section I was having problems in.  But I'm pretty sure
>> I removed all formatting and started over in that section, at which
>> point it worked.  Wish I could reproduce it, as it was quite
>> frustrating.  My guess is it was something to do with whatever
>> formatting was applied in that section.  I don't yet use Styles so any
>> formatting would have been set manually, and that would have been
>> minimal.
>>
>> If I encounter it again I'll be sure to post again, and try to post a
>> sample document.
>>
>>
>> On 4/8/19 7:19 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
>>> On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 14:32:05 +1200
>>> Steve Edmonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi.
>>>> What version of LO do you have.
>>>> Just as a test, can you click into just 1 line and then add a tab stop
>>>> to the ruler.
>>>> Steve
>>> Also what OS?
>>>
>>> In addition, can you post an example of the text/document that you
>>> cannot format tabs for somewhere? Perhaps it is a data-dependent
>>> problem, since tab stops work as you expect for other people including
>>> me.
>>>
>
>

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy
steveedmonds steveedmonds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tabs in selection of text

Hi.
If you are copying and pasting the text into your document, then "paste
without formatting" will paste the text in and adopt the
style/formatting at the cursor. I have assigned ctl-k on my machines to
paste unformatted. I can quickly ctl-ins , ctl-k to copy-paste 1 handed
and not muck up my formatting. You may not have realised that normal
copy-paste adds the style of the copied text into your document, and
with a lot of copy-paste actions you can end up with a plethora of
unwanted styles throughout your document.
steve

On 13/04/2019 00:08, Carl Paulsen wrote:

> Steve, I think you may have hit the nail on the head.  I'll look into
> upgrading and see if that changes anything.  I think the issue may
> well have been that I was selecting "paragraphs" with different
> formatting (my quotes aren't to draw attention but rather to indicate
> I don't mean only book-like paragraphs) and trying to apply tabs to
> those.  If I repeatedly use a specific format, I'd definitely consider
> Styles.  But there seem to be a lot of complicated considerations for
> using Styles (the nesting/heirarchy topics I mentioned in my other
> reply).
>
> Anyway, thank you.
>
> Carl
>
>
> On 4/8/19 3:53 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
>> Hi.
>> I am on 6.07 but your issue is dredging up some memories where I think I
>> noticed the same situation.
>> With a paragraph as a block of text terminating in a line break (rather
>> than the older paragraph in a book interpretation), I think I noticed
>> that when I selected multiple paragraphs with different tab settings
>> that I couldn't edit tab settings in the ruler and there was no TAB tab
>> in the paragraph format dialogue.
>> This was before 6.07 which is not showing the issue, may have been 6.05
>> or 5 series.
>> In some cases I set the tabs one paragraph at a time, in others I  just
>> set the default style for the block of text and then re-formatted
>> characteristics, including tabs.
>>
>> If there are a lot of paragraphs to format the same way, I would suggest
>> creating a style and then you can easily apply the same formatting
>> repeatedly.
>> Steve
>>
>> On 09/04/2019 00:34, Carl Paulsen wrote:
>>> LO 6.0.5.2 on Mac Sierra (10.12.6)
>>>
>>> In some cases I can click into a line and set tabs normally.  In the
>>> document where I had the problem I believe it was a bulleted list or
>>> indented text (hanging indent I think) where I was having the
>>> problem.  I opened the document today and quickly tried it again and
>>> can't find the section I was having problems in.  But I'm pretty sure
>>> I removed all formatting and started over in that section, at which
>>> point it worked.  Wish I could reproduce it, as it was quite
>>> frustrating.  My guess is it was something to do with whatever
>>> formatting was applied in that section.  I don't yet use Styles so any
>>> formatting would have been set manually, and that would have been
>>> minimal.
>>>
>>> If I encounter it again I'll be sure to post again, and try to post a
>>> sample document.
>>>
>>>
>>> On 4/8/19 7:19 AM, Dave Howorth wrote:
>>>> On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 14:32:05 +1200
>>>> Steve Edmonds <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Hi.
>>>>> What version of LO do you have.
>>>>> Just as a test, can you click into just 1 line and then add a tab
>>>>> stop
>>>>> to the ruler.
>>>>> Steve
>>>> Also what OS?
>>>>
>>>> In addition, can you post an example of the text/document that you
>>>> cannot format tabs for somewhere? Perhaps it is a data-dependent
>>>> problem, since tab stops work as you expect for other people including
>>>> me.
>>>>
>>
>>
>



--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy