TeX output crashes LibreOffice

Sandy Harris Sandy Harris

TeX output crashes LibreOffice

I have a document originally written with L-O but saved in Word (.doc)
format. Eight pages, no very complex formatting. One column, section
headings, endnotes, a couple of tables. Exporting a PDF or HTML works
fine.

Trying to export in TeX format crashes L-O every time. It goes to
work, there's a progress bar across the bottom of the screen. It goes
most of the way across then hangs. If I try to stop it, I get a "this
window is not responding" message. Saving in ODT format instead did
not help; the ODT file crashes it too. Changing the "backend" field in
the menu page that comes up when exporting does not seem to help
either.

There are obvious workarounds -- for example I can export plain text
and manually apply TeX tags or export RTF and use a command-line tool
to get to TeX -- but I'd sooner not have to do that.

This happens on two different machines, both Ubuntu. This one is
Xubuntu 12.04 with "LibreOffice 3.5.3.2 Build ID: 350m1(Build:2)" and
all available Xubuntu updates applied. It is a 3GHz dual core i3
machine with 8 gigs RAM and SSD disks so I don't think resource limits
are the problem. The other machine is less powerful and has less
up-to-date versions of everything.

Tom Tom

Re: TeX output crashes LibreOffice

Hi :)
You might find that boosting the figures in
Tools - Options - Memory
might help.  There is certainly a LOT of room on that Xubuntu machine so pushing them up just to test the guess shouldn't be a problem.

Definitely file a bug-report even if bumping up the memory options does work
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/bug/

Jay Lozier Jay Lozier

Re: TeX output crashes LibreOffice

Sandy

On 05/24/2012 02:40 AM, Sandy Harris wrote:

> I have a document originally written with L-O but saved in Word (.doc)
> format. Eight pages, no very complex formatting. One column, section
> headings, endnotes, a couple of tables. Exporting a PDF or HTML works
> fine.
>
> Trying to export in TeX format crashes L-O every time. It goes to
> work, there's a progress bar across the bottom of the screen. It goes
> most of the way across then hangs. If I try to stop it, I get a "this
> window is not responding" message. Saving in ODT format instead did
> not help; the ODT file crashes it too. Changing the "backend" field in
> the menu page that comes up when exporting does not seem to help
> either.
>
> There are obvious workarounds -- for example I can export plain text
> and manually apply TeX tags or export RTF and use a command-line tool
> to get to TeX -- but I'd sooner not have to do that.
>
> This happens on two different machines, both Ubuntu. This one is
> Xubuntu 12.04 with "LibreOffice 3.5.3.2 Build ID: 350m1(Build:2)" and
> all available Xubuntu updates applied. It is a 3GHz dual core i3
> machine with 8 gigs RAM and SSD disks so I don't think resource limits
> are the problem. The other machine is less powerful and has less
> up-to-date versions of everything.

Using LO 3.5.4 - new in the repository today - I was able to export an
odt document to tex without any problems. I am using Ubuntu 12.04.

Are you using the default settings for the export. They worked for me.

--
Jay Lozier

nabbler nabbler

On 24/05/2012, Sandy Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are obvious workarounds -- for example I can export plain text
> and manually apply TeX tags or export RTF and use a command-line tool
> to get to TeX -- but I'd sooner not have to do that.

tex4ht is OK, or try to use this indirectly via LyX?