Template confusion - 6.3.4.2 on Ubuntu

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Template confusion - 6.3.4.2 on Ubuntu

I have been using LO, and previously OO, since ~2002, and I currently
have 6.3.4.2 on Xubuntu 18.04, up to date. This version was installed
with the PPA supplied by LO.

Needing to figure out my numerous templates I searched for *.ott and
came up with files scattered all over. So my first question is, where
is the preferred location so I can corral them all in the same place?

And then I have a problem with the default Writer template
'Default.ott,' of which there is only one I practically never use
anything but Writer, and when I launch Writer it comes up with a new,
blank document based on the default template. This is as it should be,
but there is something in the default template that I need to change -
the settings for the First Line Indent style. It defaults to adding
seven points between paragraphs, but I must always change that to -0-,
in order to comply with university and publishing style guidelines. And
no, I do not want a special template for this; I just want to change the
settings for the default template.

I launched Writer, then closed the new, blank document and selected the
Default template for editing. Imagine my surprise when the setting for
First Line Indent showed -0- points for additional spacing between
paragraphs. Yet when I open a new document based on the default template
the setting for First Line Indent is always an additional seven points
between paragraphs.

What is going on here?

John Jason Jordan-2 John Jason Jordan-2

Re: Template confusion - 6.3.4.2 on Ubuntu

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:51:57 -0800
John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:

>I have been using LO, and previously OO, since ~2002, and I currently
>have 6.3.4.2 on Xubuntu 18.04, up to date. This version was installed
>with the PPA supplied by LO.
>
>Needing to figure out my numerous templates I searched for *.ott and
>came up with files scattered all over. So my first question is, where
>is the preferred location so I can corral them all in the same place?
>
>And then I have a problem with the default Writer template
>'Default.ott,' of which there is only one I practically never use
>anything but Writer, and when I launch Writer it comes up with a new,
>blank document based on the default template. This is as it should be,
>but there is something in the default template that I need to change -
>the settings for the First Line Indent style. It defaults to adding
>seven points between paragraphs, but I must always change that to -0-,
>in order to comply with university and publishing style guidelines. And
>no, I do not want a special template for this; I just want to change
>the settings for the default template.
>
>I launched Writer, then closed the new, blank document and selected the
>Default template for editing. Imagine my surprise when the setting for
>First Line Indent showed -0- points for additional spacing between
>paragraphs. Yet when I open a new document based on the default
>template the setting for First Line Indent is always an additional
>seven points between paragraphs.
>
>What is going on here?

I found part of the problem. For some reason LO Writer was not using
the Default.ott file for the default template. I found how to force it
to use this template, but I never figure out which template it was
using for the default. But at least now a new document comes up with
the right settings for the First Line Indent style.

But so far I have failed to figure out where the default folder for
templates is. I'd really like to tidy things up.

Girvin Herr-5 Girvin Herr-5

On 2/20/20 10:19 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 15:51:57 -0800
> John Jason Jordan <[hidden email]> dijo:
>
>> I have been using LO, and previously OO, since ~2002, and I currently
>> have 6.3.4.2 on Xubuntu 18.04, up to date. This version was installed
>> with the PPA supplied by LO.
>>
>> Needing to figure out my numerous templates I searched for *.ott and
>> came up with files scattered all over. So my first question is, where
>> is the preferred location so I can corral them all in the same place?
>>
>> And then I have a problem with the default Writer template
>> 'Default.ott,' of which there is only one I practically never use
>> anything but Writer, and when I launch Writer it comes up with a new,
>> blank document based on the default template. This is as it should be,
>> but there is something in the default template that I need to change -
>> the settings for the First Line Indent style. It defaults to adding
>> seven points between paragraphs, but I must always change that to -0-,
>> in order to comply with university and publishing style guidelines. And
>> no, I do not want a special template for this; I just want to change
>> the settings for the default template.
>>
>> I launched Writer, then closed the new, blank document and selected the
>> Default template for editing. Imagine my surprise when the setting for
>> First Line Indent showed -0- points for additional spacing between
>> paragraphs. Yet when I open a new document based on the default
>> template the setting for First Line Indent is always an additional
>> seven points between paragraphs.
>>
>> What is going on here?
> I found part of the problem. For some reason LO Writer was not using
> the Default.ott file for the default template. I found how to force it
> to use this template, but I never figure out which template it was
> using for the default. But at least now a new document comes up with
> the right settings for the First Line Indent style.
>
> But so far I have failed to figure out where the default folder for
> templates is. I'd really like to tidy things up.

John,

Did you look at
Tools > LibreOffice > Paths > Templates

My Slackware Linux uses the Open Desktop standard and has a Templates
directory in my home directory. That is where I place my templates and
set the LO/AOO Template path to it. Use a semicolon ";" to separate the
existing path from the new path when editing the above template path in
LO/AOO. I think the templates are searched in the path order, so both
the original and your templates should be in the selection dialog after
this is done.

I have found the LO and AOO template system to be a bit of a mystery to
me. Luckily, I don't have to mess with it much. I managed to get it to
work for me, but there are still some strangenesses about it - such as
the "version" suffix placed on the template file. This version does not
appear in the template list dialog, but it is shown in the directory
filename where it is located. One must use a specific process to modify
a template. It is not as simple as just opening it to edit as a regular
document. See File > Templates.

I also seem to remember something special about the "default" template -
that it is actually hardwired into the code and cannot be changed. One
must create a fresh document using the "default" template as a base,
change that document and save it as a template and then make it the
"default" template. LO and AOO do this differently. In LO,  do:

File > Templates > Manage Templates

Right-click on the template you wish to make the new default, then
select "Set As Default" in the popup.
Caveat: I have done this successfully in AOO, but not in LO yet. But it
should work. Maybe someone else can clarify this procedure for LO,
especially if I am incorrect.

HTH.

Girvin