Templates not linked in Writer after update to Xubuntu 18.04

wiebe wiebe

Templates not linked in Writer after update to Xubuntu 18.04

After updating to Xubuntu 18.04 I was quite surprised to find out that
ott templates are not linked to documents any more.

Trying to solve this, I found out "Template Changer" is broken.

Now I am trying to downgrade LibreOffice, but that fails because
template changer (1.2.7d) / LO crashes during the assign process.

This is what I installed after removing 6.n:
http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/5.4.7.2/deb/x86_64/
(dpkg -i *.deb)

Anybody familiar with this? And having suggestions how to solve this?
All my documentation is based on linked templates so for me this is a
huge problem.

Regina Henschel Regina Henschel

Re: Templates not linked in Writer after update to Xubuntu 18.04

Hi,

Wiebe van der Worp schrieb am 10-Nov-18 um 20:10:
> After updating to Xubuntu 18.04 I was quite surprised to find out that
> ott templates are not linked to documents any more.

It might be, that now the templates are not where the document expects
it. The information about the template is in a node meta:template in the
file meta.xml in the document package. [You know, that a document is
actually a zip-container?]

Now compare, whether the path, which is listed in the file, would go to
the template in your LibreOffice installation.

Kind regards
Regina

wiebe wiebe

On 10-11-18 21:52, Regina Henschel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wiebe van der Worp schrieb am 10-Nov-18 um 20:10:
>> After updating to Xubuntu 18.04 I was quite surprised to find out that
>> ott templates are not linked to documents any more.
>
> It might be, that now the templates are not where the document expects
> it. The information about the template is in a node meta:template in the
> file meta.xml in the document package. [You know, that a document is
> actually a zip-container?]
>
> Now compare, whether the path, which is listed in the file, would go to
> the template in your LibreOffice installation.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

@regina, thanks. node meta:template in file meta.xml was not found. I
assume this is what is also shown in File > Properties > Tab General >
Template (?)

No Template Changer AND no linked templates is a show stopper, so back
from 6.n to 5.n and since this did not help much:

Package latest and greatest 5.4.7.2 from
https://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/

unzipped in ~/Downloads
delete all from ~/.config/libreoffice

sudo su
apt-get remove --purge libreoffice*
apt-get clean
apt-get autoremove
cd ~/Downloads/LibreOffice_5.4.7.2_Linux_x86-64_deb/DEBS/
dpkg -i *.deb

In LO: Tools > Options > Paths > Templates > Added location of custom .ott

When I create a document based on a standard template, template
information is included
Ditto when custom template is used.
When I paste from a source, template information is blanked

Time for Template Changer from
https://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/resources-for-contributers/template-changer-extension/at_download/file
(1.2.7d)
Installed it
Restarted Writer
Assign Template to new document > select template > Ok and...
Crash of LO

Looping what is before in order to try 5.3.7.2
Same story, except first hanging and then crashing.

So I installed the distro version 6.0.6.2 again without Template Changer.

What I did now, is very carefully paste information from documentation.
Added a field with template information for controlling the link. Part
by part pasted, creating new TOC's, it works without breaking the
template link.

Considering the large amount of documents I maintain, it is all in all
quite frustrating, but with a little progress fortunately.

If I do grep on an unzipped and empty document with template
"template-name", like
grep -r -i "template-name" *
I get only one result in meta.xml

Maybe a stupid question, but does changing template information directly
in meta.xml help in cases where I loose template links? In that case,
BASH doing unzip sed and zip might be a hackish solution.

All suggestions appreciated very much!