Text are truncated after saving document

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
rei rei
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Text are truncated after saving document

I have documents that have been edited with several word processors (Abiword, MS. Word, etc.). When I edited, saved, and reopened them using LibreOffice, all text in those documents are always truncated, like this one:
Edited.doc

If documents' styles and formatting are set to 'Default', the text look good. However, is there a way to so that I don't need to do this every time I open documents? There are a lot of documents like this in my PC and it's very cumbersome to  set their styles manually.


LibreOffice Version: 3.5.3.2
Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit).
steveedmonds steveedmonds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text are truncated after saving document



On 2012-06-05 14:13, rei wrote:

> I have documents that have been edited with several word processors (Abiword,
> MS. Word, etc.). When I edited, saved, and reopened them using LibreOffice,
> all text in those documents are always truncated, like this one:
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3988204/Edited.doc Edited.doc
>
> If documents' styles and formatting are set to 'Default', the text look
> good. However, is there a way to so that I don't need to do this every time
> I open documents? There are a lot of documents like this in my PC and it's
> very cumbersome to  set their styles manually.
>
>
> LibreOffice Version: 3.5.3.2
> Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit).
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Text-are-truncated-after-saving-document-tp3988204.html
> Sent from the Discuss mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Hi. This looks fine in my LO 3.4.6. Where is the text truncated, may be
I am missing it.
Steve

--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

rei rei
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text are truncated after saving document

Steve Edmonds wrote
On 2012-06-05 14:13, rei wrote:
> I have documents that have been edited with several word processors (Abiword,
> MS. Word, etc.). When I edited, saved, and reopened them using LibreOffice,
> all text in those documents are always truncated, like this one:
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3988204/Edited.doc Edited.doc
>
> If documents' styles and formatting are set to 'Default', the text look
> good. However, is there a way to so that I don't need to do this every time
> I open documents? There are a lot of documents like this in my PC and it's
> very cumbersome to  set their styles manually.
>
>
> LibreOffice Version: 3.5.3.2
> Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit).
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Text-are-truncated-after-saving-document-tp3988204.html
> Sent from the Discuss mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Hi. This looks fine in my LO 3.4.6. Where is the text truncated, may be
I am missing it.
Steve
Hi Steve,

It looks like this:
Sveinn í Felli Sveinn í Felli
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text are truncated after saving document

In reply to this post by rei
Þann þri  5.jún 2012 02:13, skrifaði rei:

> I have documents that have been edited with several word processors (Abiword,
> MS. Word, etc.). When I edited, saved, and reopened them using LibreOffice,
> all text in those documents are always truncated, like this one:
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3988204/Edited.doc Edited.doc
>
> If documents' styles and formatting are set to 'Default', the text look
> good. However, is there a way to so that I don't need to do this every time
> I open documents? There are a lot of documents like this in my PC and it's
> very cumbersome to  set their styles manually.
>
>
> LibreOffice Version: 3.5.3.2
> Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit).

Your Default style has a "Fixed" linespacing of 0.18cm,
switching that to "Simple" linespacing (or whatewer a bit
bigger) solves your problem.

Sveinn í Felli


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

rei rei
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text are truncated after saving document

Sveinn í Felli wrote
Þann þri  5.jún 2012 02:13, skrifaði rei:
> I have documents that have been edited with several word processors (Abiword,
> MS. Word, etc.). When I edited, saved, and reopened them using LibreOffice,
> all text in those documents are always truncated, like this one:
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3988204/Edited.doc Edited.doc
>
> If documents' styles and formatting are set to 'Default', the text look
> good. However, is there a way to so that I don't need to do this every time
> I open documents? There are a lot of documents like this in my PC and it's
> very cumbersome to  set their styles manually.
>
>
> LibreOffice Version: 3.5.3.2
> Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit).

Your Default style has a "Fixed" linespacing of 0.18cm,
switching that to "Simple" linespacing (or whatewer a bit
bigger) solves your problem.

Sveinn í Felli
Where does this line spacing come from? Here I attach the original document. The first time I opened it, it looked normal. However, if it is edited, saved, and reopened using LO, the text will be truncated.

Original.doc

I had to set the style / spacing manually so that it became normal again.
Sveinn í Felli Sveinn í Felli
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text are truncated after saving document

In reply to this post by Sveinn í Felli
Þann þri  5.jún 2012 08:24, skrifaði rei:

>
> Sveinn í Felli wrote
>>
>> Þann þri  5.jún 2012 02:13, skrifaði rei:
>>> I have documents that have been edited with several word processors
>>> (Abiword,
>>> MS. Word, etc.). When I edited, saved, and reopened them using
>>> LibreOffice,
>>> all text in those documents are always truncated, like this one:
>>> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3988204/Edited.doc Edited.doc
>>>
>>> If documents' styles and formatting are set to 'Default', the text look
>>> good. However, is there a way to so that I don't need to do this every
>>> time
>>> I open documents? There are a lot of documents like this in my PC and
>>> it's
>>> very cumbersome to  set their styles manually.
>>>
>>>
>>> LibreOffice Version: 3.5.3.2
>>> Operating System: Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit).
>>
>> Your Default style has a "Fixed" linespacing of 0.18cm,
>> switching that to "Simple" linespacing (or whatewer a bit
>> bigger) solves your problem.
>>
>> Sveinn í Felli
>>
>
> Where does this line spacing come from? Here I attach the original document.
> The first time I opened it, it looked normal. However, if it is edited,
> saved, and reopened using LO, the text will be truncated.
>
> http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3988239/Original.doc Original.doc
>
> I had to set the style / spacing manually so that it became normal again.
>

Can't reproduce this by saving, neither in LibreOffice
3.5.1.2 nor 3.4.5. But when I take your Original.doc and
choose "Save as", LO offers to save it as RTF. And my
Konqueror sees it as an RTF despite the .doc extension. Does
the file originate in MS-Write or TextPad or similar?

Sveinn


--
Unsubscribe instructions: E-mail to [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.documentfoundation.org/www/discuss/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Pedro Pedro
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text are truncated after saving document

In reply to this post by rei
This request for help should be in the Users mailing list, not the Discuss mailing list ;)

It would also save time if you had posted the sample file at AskLibO instead of asking the same question on two sites.

For your information your document is an RTF with a wrong DOC extension (just open it in any text editor).  I believe this was an old Abiword bug.

LibreOffice has some known problems in handling with RTF files. The fact that it is incorrectly identified as a MS Word DOC file doesn't help either.

Unfortunately opening and saving in several text editors can have this kind of problems...
rei rei
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text are truncated after saving document

Pedro wrote
This request for help should be in the Users mailing list, not the Discuss mailing list ;)
Thanks for a friendly reminder! I believe you are right; this should be posted under Users mailing list. Sorry.

Pedro wrote
For your information your document is an RTF with a wrong DOC extension (just open it in any text editor).  I believe this was an old Abiword bug.

LibreOffice has some known problems in handling with RTF files. The fact that it is incorrectly identified as a MS Word DOC file doesn't help either.

Unfortunately opening and saving in several text editors can have this kind of problems...
Yes, when I open the document with Abiword, it looks good.

Sveinn í Felli wrote
Can't reproduce this by saving, neither in LibreOffice 3.5.1.2 nor 3.4.5. But when I take your Original.doc and choose "Save as", LO offers to save it as RTF. And my Konqueror sees it as an RTF despite the .doc extension. Does the file originate in MS-Write or TextPad or similar?
As far as I remember, the file originates in AbiWord. This issue could be related to Abiword, like Pedro mentioned in his message. Thank you for your time, anyway!