The Floppy icon and meritocracy

12 « Prev
1920119 1920119

Re: The Floppy icon and meritocracy

> The freedesktop.org Icon Theme Specification defines a 'document-save'
> icon as: "document-save The icon for the save action. Should be an arrow
> pointing down and toward a hard disk."
> <http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html>
> The new LO "Tango" theme does not follow this specification, and instead
> uses a non-Tango icon: a down arrow pointing to an open file cabinet drawer

Tango doesn't have a 'save as template' icon anyway, so we couldn't
use it unmodified anyway. (Although I seem to remember reading that
the template icon has been left as a floppy? I did point out this
problem before...)

v_2e v_2e

Re: The Floppy icon and meritocracy

  Hello!

On Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:46:47 -0800 (PST)
Pedro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I already have the floppy :) and I don't particularly like the Galaxy
> theme. Thank you anyway for the suggestion!

  I like this set of Icons I have in LibreOffice right now:
        http://wombat.org.ua/LibreOffice-icons.png
and I hope it will be possible to use them in future versions of
LibreOffice. Will it?

  Regards,
    Vladimir

-----
 <[hidden email]>

Pedro Pedro

Re: The Floppy icon and meritocracy

v_2e wrote
I like this set of Icons I have in LibreOffice right now:
        http://wombat.org.ua/LibreOffice-icons.png
and I hope it will be possible to use them in future versions of
LibreOffice. Will it?
That is the Galaxy theme from version 3.3.x and 3.4.x (which curiously is the only theme included in LibreOfficePortable 3.3.x and 3.4.x)

What I can tell you is that the Galaxy theme is NOT one of the four Themes included and that you can't use a Theme from version 3.3.x or 3.4.x directly.

Only someone in the Design section can answer if there is a tool to convert the icon Theme to version 3.5.x...
NoOp NoOp

On 02/10/2012 05:44 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>> The freedesktop.org Icon Theme Specification defines a 'document-save'
>> icon as: "document-save The icon for the save action. Should be an arrow
>> pointing down and toward a hard disk."
>> <http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html>
>> The new LO "Tango" theme does not follow this specification, and instead
>> uses a non-Tango icon: a down arrow pointing to an open file cabinet drawer
>
> Tango doesn't have a 'save as template' icon anyway, so we couldn't
> use it unmodified anyway.

In that case you create _additional_ icons (following the spec of
course), just as others have:
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library#Additional_Sets

(Although I seem to remember reading that
> the template icon has been left as a floppy? I did point out this
> problem before...)

The template save icon in 3.5 (sc/lc_saveasatemplate) is a combination
of the standard Tango template icon (text-x-generic-template.png/svg[1])
interposed over a floppy & hasn't changed from LO 3.3 and 3.4. That icon
has other issues besides using the floppy - the text for the icon is
simply 'Save', so it's easy to confuse with the document save icon 'Save
(Ctrl+S)'.

[1]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Text-x-generic-template.svg

v_2e v_2e

Re: The Floppy icon and meritocracy

  Hello!

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 06:39:16 -0800 (PST)
Pedro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That is the Galaxy theme from version 3.3.x and 3.4.x (which
> curiously is the only theme included in LibreOfficePortable 3.3.x and
> 3.4.x)

  Oh, so it is called "Galaxy". Thanks for the tip. I thought (for some
unknown reason) you were talking about some other theme. :)

> What I can tell you is that the Galaxy theme is NOT one of the four
> Themes included and that you can't use a Theme from version 3.3.x or
> 3.4.x directly.
>
> Only someone in the Design section can answer if there is a tool to
> convert the icon Theme to version 3.5.x...

  But the screenshot I gave a link to is a screenshot of LibreOffice
3.5.0 RC2 (if I'm remember correctly). In any case, it certainly is the
3.5-branch. And this theme was there when I upgraded from 3.4.x to
3.5.0 for the first time. Doesn't it mean that this theme is:
a) working with LO 3.5;
b) is included as a default theme?

  Thank you.
    Vladimir

-----
 <[hidden email]>

Pedro Pedro

Re: The Floppy icon and meritocracy

Hi Vladimir

v_2e wrote
  But the screenshot I gave a link to is a screenshot of LibreOffice
3.5.0 RC2 (if I'm remember correctly). In any case, it certainly is the
3.5-branch. And this theme was there when I upgraded from 3.4.x to
3.5.0 for the first time. Doesn't it mean that this theme is:
a) working with LO 3.5;
b) is included as a default theme?
Yes, it is still included as Default (although for a new install you will get the Automatic (Tango) theme and have to manually switch to Default... a bit odd...)
Sorry for the confusion. I messed the Galaxy theme while hacking my "Tango-with-Floppy" theme :)
FYI the Galaxy theme is contained in images.zip in folder <your install folder>\share\config\

Regards,
Pedro
12 « Prev