The Tango Save Icon (Cabinet v/ Diskette) Under Discussion Again

Stefan Knorr Stefan Knorr

The Tango Save Icon (Cabinet v/ Diskette) Under Discussion Again

Hi all,

just before Christmas [1], Björn wrote a nice blog post about our new
save icon and how it fails to convey its meaning...
http://user-prompt.com/about-antiquated-metaphors-in-icons/

I guess we need to discuss reverting to the diskette icon... What do you think?

Astron.

[1] I didn't notice it until today – haven't been reading the planet
too closely lately. Otherwise, this would have come earlier.

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos Adolfo Jayme Barrientos

Re: The Tango Save Icon (Cabinet v/ Diskette) Under Discussion Again

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Stefan Knorr (Astron)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I guess we need to discuss reverting to the diskette icon... What do you think?

A diskette in “Real Life™” may be obsolete, but it’s still a current
and valid metaphor for saving, much more than a cabinet.

Jonathan Aquilina Jonathan Aquilina

Re: The Tango Save Icon (Cabinet v/ Diskette) Under Discussion Again

I will admit the cabinet i find really confusing as its something that
people arent used to. What about replacing the floppy disk with a hard disk
image?

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 6:24 PM, Adolfo Jayme Barrientos <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Stefan Knorr (Astron)
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I guess we need to discuss reverting to the diskette icon... What do you
> think?
>
> A diskette in “Real Life™” may be obsolete, but it’s still a current
> and valid metaphor for saving, much more than a cabinet.

Jonathan Aquilina

Pedro Pedro

Re: The Tango Save Icon (Cabinet v/ Diskette) Under Discussion Again

Stefan Knorr (Astron)-2 wrote
I guess we need to discuss reverting to the diskette icon... What do you think?
I think it should have never changed. Just because you can change something it doesn't mean that you should.

The Floppy is the universal (in software, obviously) symbol for Save.

In addition it doesn't make sense to follow the Tango icon theme rules and ignore a basic one...

Just my 2 (non-designer) cents.
mirek2 mirek2

Re: The Tango Save Icon (Cabinet v/ Diskette) Under Discussion Again

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Stefan Knorr (Astron) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just before Christmas [1], Björn wrote a nice blog post about our new
> save icon and how it fails to convey its meaning...
> http://user-prompt.com/about-antiquated-metaphors-in-icons/
>
> I guess we need to discuss reverting to the diskette icon... What do you
> think?

Sure, if we find a well-designed replacement that fits with the rest of the
icon theme.
On Linux, I would keep the file cabinet icon, though.
(Gnome, elementary, Ubuntu's derivative Human, and Faenza, which are the
most popular icon packs, all use a non-floppy save icon.
Yes, I left out Oxygen, but on KDE, LibreOffice uses a different icon pack
with a floppy disk for the save icon.)

Kévin PEIGNOT-3 Kévin PEIGNOT-3

Re: The Tango Save Icon (Cabinet v/ Diskette) Under Discussion Again

For me, the harddisk instead of file-cabinet based icon is the good
solution. The disquet is Okay for me even it's not any more intuitive (5
year of Humanity icon theme, which I adapted really, really, really fast
(faster than Windows Seven one that I use at work). I think this option
should be tested too, with the too others. Tested with user or other
software, and, if possible, totally beginner with computer.

Sorry for not being so much present this times I'm always running ...

Kévin

Björn Balazs-3 Björn Balazs-3

Re: The Tango Save Icon (Cabinet v/ Diskette) Under Discussion Again

Hi all,

this is not about opinion - this is the result of user testing. BTW - even
Gnome users handle the disk better than the filing cabinet.

Perhaps you take a look at the results directly on the plattform. I will
slowly continue to write about findings. But this will still take a while. And
there a quite some 'bad' icons around.

So if there is any discussion about icon alternatives - let us test them (e.g.
filing cabinet vs. disc vs. harddrive for save). Users a willing to
participate. Setting up the tests will take few minutes. And the results are
beyond opinion.

All the best,
Björn

--
Dipl.-Psych. Björn Balazs
Business Management & Research

User Prompt GmbH | Psychologic IT Expertise
Grünberger Str. 49, 10245 Berlin | www.user-prompt.com
HRB 142277 | AG Berlin Charlottenburg | Geschäftsführer Björn Balazs