The essence of styles

catdance catdance

The essence of styles

I have been reviewing the Writer chapter, Chapter 4 of the Getting
Started Guide, and have a suggestion.

For me, two of the more confusing issues with LibreOffice (and judging
from the forums, others as well) has been understanding how styles work
together—especially paragraph and character styles—and how to clear
formatting.

Common problems are understanding what causes text to be formatted as it
is and how to change it to what is wanted.

Information related to these issues is in various places but can be
missed. I would like to suggest that there be a section toward the
beginning of the style section that explains the overall logic of styles
as well as strategies for removing style-based formatting and direct
formatting.

I would like to look at Chapter 3, the chapter that presumably
introduces styles, to see if such a section has been added, but I don’t
see that chapter.

If the kind of section I am suggesting is not already available, I could
try to write a draft. However, I am not sure if I completely understand
it yet, so could use some help. Also, I think some good graphics would help.

Are others interested in this?

catdance catdance

Re: The essence of styles

Hi John, Glad to hear that you are willing to work on this.

It would be helpful to hear from other members of the team about whether
this is something that could be added to the book. I am thinking that
this section would be in the range of 2-3 pages, depending on graphics.

Also, might there be a graphic designer who could help us?

On 1/31/2018 11:24 AM, John L Hart Jr wrote:

> I agree with Cathy Crumbley with her suggestion.  I have always had
> some trouble using  Syles and understanding just how to use them to
> the fullest. Since I am not proficient in the use of Styles I do not
> think I can write a section.  I can review it and try out the
> procedures as specified in the section.
>
> John
>

> On 01/31/2018 11:15 AM, Cathy Crumbley wrote:
>> I have been reviewing the Writer chapter, Chapter 4 of the Getting
>> Started Guide, and have a suggestion.
>>
>> For me, two of the more confusing issues with LibreOffice (and
>> judging from the forums, others as well) has been understanding how
>> styles work together—especially paragraph and character styles—and
>> how to clear formatting.
>>
>> Common problems are understanding what causes text to be formatted as
>> it is and how to change it to what is wanted.
>>
>> Information related to these issues is in various places but can be
>> missed. I would like to suggest that there be a section toward the
>> beginning of the style section that explains the overall logic of
>> styles as well as strategies for removing style-based formatting and
>> direct formatting.
>>
>> I would like to look at Chapter 3, the chapter that presumably
>> introduces styles, to see if such a section has been added, but I
>> don’t see that chapter.
>>
>> If the kind of section I am suggesting is not already available, I
>> could try to write a draft. However, I am not sure if I completely
>> understand it yet, so could use some help. Also, I think some good
>> graphics would help.
>>
>> Are others interested in this?

tagezi tagezi

Re: The essence of styles

Hi Cathy,

Do you remember that there a book about styles and templates?
http://designingwithlibreoffice.com/download-buy/

Best regards,
Lera

> Hi John, Glad to hear that you are willing to work on this.
>
> It would be helpful to hear from other members of the team about whether
> this is something that could be added to the book. I am thinking that this
> section would be in the range of 2-3 pages, depending on graphics.
>
> Also, might there be a graphic designer who could help us?
>
> On 1/31/2018 11:24 AM, John L Hart Jr wrote:
>
>> I agree with Cathy Crumbley with her suggestion.  I have always had some
>> trouble using  Syles and understanding just how to use them to the fullest.
>> Since I am not proficient in the use of Styles I do not think I can write a
>> section.  I can review it and try out the procedures as specified in the
>> section.
>>
>> John
>>

>> On 01/31/2018 11:15 AM, Cathy Crumbley wrote:
>>
>>> I have been reviewing the Writer chapter, Chapter 4 of the Getting
>>> Started Guide, and have a suggestion.
>>>
>>> For me, two of the more confusing issues with LibreOffice (and judging
>>> from the forums, others as well) has been understanding how styles work
>>> together—especially paragraph and character styles—and how to clear
>>> formatting.
>>>
>>> Common problems are understanding what causes text to be formatted as it
>>> is and how to change it to what is wanted.
>>>
>>> Information related to these issues is in various places but can be
>>> missed. I would like to suggest that there be a section toward the
>>> beginning of the style section that explains the overall logic of styles as
>>> well as strategies for removing style-based formatting and direct
>>> formatting.
>>>
>>> I would like to look at Chapter 3, the chapter that presumably
>>> introduces styles, to see if such a section has been added, but I don’t see
>>> that chapter.
>>>
>>> If the kind of section I am suggesting is not already available, I could
>>> try to write a draft. However, I am not sure if I completely understand it
>>> yet, so could use some help. Also, I think some good graphics would help.
>>>
>>> Are others interested in this?

Dave Barton-3 Dave Barton-3

Re: The essence of styles

Hi Cathy,

Valerii just beat me to it in recommending Bruce Byfield's publication.
IMNSHO it is by far and away one of the best and well constructed
sources of information about using styles in LibreOffice. Plus, Bruce is
a very approachable and helpful guy, who I am sure would be willing to
offer advice if you wanted to tackle this project. I am fully committed
to finishing reviews of the GS6.0 guide, otherwise I would be happy to
work on this with you.

Best Regards
Dave

> Do you remember that there a book about styles and templates?
> http://designingwithlibreoffice.com/download-buy/
>
> Best regards,
> Lera

>> Hi John, Glad to hear that you are willing to work on this.
>>
>> It would be helpful to hear from other members of the team about whether
>> this is something that could be added to the book. I am thinking that this
>> section would be in the range of 2-3 pages, depending on graphics.
>>
>> Also, might there be a graphic designer who could help us?
>>
>> On 1/31/2018 11:24 AM, John L Hart Jr wrote:
>>
>>> I agree with Cathy Crumbley with her suggestion.  I have always had some
>>> trouble using  Syles and understanding just how to use them to the fullest.
>>> Since I am not proficient in the use of Styles I do not think I can write a
>>> section.  I can review it and try out the procedures as specified in the
>>> section.
>>>
>>> John

catdance catdance

Re: The essence of styles

Hi Lera,

Yes, I am familiar with it and it seems like an excellent resource.
However, I did not see a clear, succinct explanation of the
relationships among styles and how to remove formatting. If there is
such an explanation, could you please point me to it?

Thanks for the reminder.

Cathy

On 2/1/2018 4:33 PM, Valerii Goncharuk wrote:

> Hi Cathy,
>
> Do you remember that there a book about styles and templates?
> http://designingwithlibreoffice.com/download-buy/
>
> Best regards,
> Lera

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi John, Glad to hear that you are willing to work on this.
>
>     It would be helpful to hear from other members of the team about
>     whether this is something that could be added to the book. I am
>     thinking that this section would be in the range of 2-3 pages,
>     depending on graphics.
>
>     Also, might there be a graphic designer who could help us?
>
>     On 1/31/2018 11:24 AM, John L Hart Jr wrote:
>
>         I agree with Cathy Crumbley with her suggestion.  I have
>         always had some trouble using  Syles and understanding just
>         how to use them to the fullest. Since I am not proficient in
>         the use of Styles I do not think I can write a section.  I can
>         review it and try out the procedures as specified in the section.
>
>         John
>

>         On 01/31/2018 11:15 AM, Cathy Crumbley wrote:
>
>             I have been reviewing the Writer chapter, Chapter 4 of the
>             Getting Started Guide, and have a suggestion.
>
>             For me, two of the more confusing issues with LibreOffice
>             (and judging from the forums, others as well) has been
>             understanding how styles work together—especially
>             paragraph and character styles—and how to clear formatting.
>
>             Common problems are understanding what causes text to be
>             formatted as it is and how to change it to what is wanted.
>
>             Information related to these issues is in various places
>             but can be missed. I would like to suggest that there be a
>             section toward the beginning of the style section that
>             explains the overall logic of styles as well as strategies
>             for removing style-based formatting and direct formatting.
>
>             I would like to look at Chapter 3, the chapter that
>             presumably introduces styles, to see if such a section has
>             been added, but I don’t see that chapter.
>
>             If the kind of section I am suggesting is not already
>             available, I could try to write a draft. However, I am not
>             sure if I completely understand it yet, so could use some
>             help. Also, I think some good graphics would help.
>
>             Are others interested in this?
>

>     --
>     List archive:
>     https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/documentation/
>     <https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/documentation/>
>     All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and
>     cannot be deleted

catdance catdance

Re: The essence of styles

Hi Dave,

I like the idea of seeing if he might be interested in helping.

As someone whose motto for writing and editing documentation is
"Ignorance Is Strength," I need to be able to talk to someone with
expert knowledge. Sounds like he would fit the bill, if he is willing.

I will email him to see if he is interested.

Cathy

On 2/1/2018 5:28 PM, Dave Barton wrote:

> Hi Cathy,
>
> Valerii just beat me to it in recommending Bruce Byfield's publication.
> IMNSHO it is by far and away one of the best and well constructed
> sources of information about using styles in LibreOffice. Plus, Bruce is
> a very approachable and helpful guy, who I am sure would be willing to
> offer advice if you wanted to tackle this project. I am fully committed
> to finishing reviews of the GS6.0 guide, otherwise I would be happy to
> work on this with you.
>
> Best Regards
> Dave

Olivier Hallot-4 Olivier Hallot-4

Re: The essence of styles

Hello Cathy, all

GS6003 - Styles and Templates has now some words on styles and direct
formatting.

I hope it makes clear the difference between direct formatting and
styles formatting.

The chapter is in the 6.0 feedback folder in ODFAuthor

Kind regards

Olivier

Em 31/01/2018 14:15, Cathy Crumbley escreveu:

> I have been reviewing the Writer chapter, Chapter 4 of the Getting
> Started Guide, and have a suggestion.
>
> For me, two of the more confusing issues with LibreOffice (and judging
> from the forums, others as well) has been understanding how styles work
> together—especially paragraph and character styles—and how to clear
> formatting.
>
> Common problems are understanding what causes text to be formatted as it
> is and how to change it to what is wanted.
>
> Information related to these issues is in various places but can be
> missed. I would like to suggest that there be a section toward the
> beginning of the style section that explains the overall logic of styles
> as well as strategies for removing style-based formatting and direct
> formatting.
>
> I would like to look at Chapter 3, the chapter that presumably
> introduces styles, to see if such a section has been added, but I don’t
> see that chapter.
>
> If the kind of section I am suggesting is not already available, I could
> try to write a draft. However, I am not sure if I completely understand
> it yet, so could use some help. Also, I think some good graphics would
> help.
>
> Are others interested in this?

--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator
Comunidade LibreOffice
http://tdf.io/joinus

catdance catdance

Re: The essence of styles

That is good to hear. I will have a look.

I have been attempting to make the difference clearer in Chapter 4,
which I hope to finish in the next few days.