The tone of thiese Lists

David Boles David Boles

The tone of thiese Lists

Is it just me or is the tone of the messages on these lists turned
extremely hostile as of late?

--

  David

Tom Tom

Re: The tone of thiese Lists

Hi :)
We have phases.  This is a fairly bad phase but we have had worse and got through.  Typically we arrive the other side of these bad times better friends than we were previously and with more understanding of how other people think.  It's all part of being in a community.  Someone has an excellent signature saying something like "Friends argue.  Non-friends just don't care enough".

Re: The tone of thiese Lists

On 11/26/2011 11:20 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
> Hi :)
> We have phases.  This is a fairly bad phase but we have had worse and got through.  Typically we arrive the other side of these bad times better friends than we were previously and with more understanding of how other people think.  It's all part of being in a community.  Someone has an excellent signature saying something like "Friends argue.  Non-friends just don't care enough".
>
> Regards from
> Tom :)

Well I was wondering. I joined these lists hoping for 'pearls of
wisdom'. If I want bickering, name calling, or insults I could just call
my ex-wife.

:-)

Tom Tom

Re: The tone of these Lists

Hi :)
Lol.  Here we get both.  I have gleaned a lot of pearls from Regina, Cor, NoOp, e-letter and others on this list and people on some of the other lists.

> > We have phases.  This is a fairly bad phase but
> we have had worse and got through.  Typically we arrive
> the other side of these bad times better friends than we
> were previously and with more understanding of how other
> people think.  It's all part of being in a
> community.  Someone has an excellent signature saying
> something like "Friends argue.  Non-friends just don't
> care enough".
> >
> > Regards from
> > Tom :)
>

> Well I was wondering. I joined these lists hoping for
> 'pearls of wisdom'. If I want bickering, name calling, or insults I
> could just call my ex-wife.
>
> :-)
>

> > --- On Sat, 26/11/11, David <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: David <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: [libreoffice-users] The tone of thiese
> Lists
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Date: Saturday, 26 November, 2011, 16:08
> >> Is it just me or is the tone of the
> >> messages on these lists turned
> >> extremely hostile as of late?
>

> --
>
>   David

> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived
> and cannot be deleted

Bob Houston Bob Houston

RE: The tone of thiese Lists (from a newbie)

Hi,I hope it's OK to jump in with a question, because I'm one of the newbies that you may be talking about.
I sent an email off to (user+help) on 11/23 about a problem with the display of hidden characters (The Pilcrow) that I am having on two systems.
Since sending the email I have been receiving a boat load of libreoffice-users emails that I am finding very informative but nothing about my Pilcrow.
Questions:
Did I send it to the right place?Do I even know if it was received?Is there an input queue that it goes into and I'll see something when it's looked at?And lastly, does anyone on this list know how to get my Pilcrows back.
Sorry for jumping in but thanks in advance.
Bob

Bob Houston eBook Formattinghttp://about.me/BobHouston
http://facebook.com/eBookFormatting

Tom Tom

RE: The tone of thiese Lists (from a newbie)

Hi :)
Weird.  I couldn't find your question.  I had a look through Nabble
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/nabble-mailing-list-interface/
and also checked all through my in-box for the last few days.  (That's usually a good way to find a post that accidentally (or deliberately) hijacked a thread).

The best way to ask a question is to write a new email rather than just using "Reply to".  Or in Nabble click "New Topic" somewhere top(ish) left.  GMane will have something similar no doubt.

Please could you ask again but make it a new question?

> Hi,I hope it's OK to jump in with a question, because I'm
> one of the newbies that you may be talking about.
> I sent an email off to (user+help) on 11/23 about a problem
> with the display of hidden characters (The Pilcrow) that I
> am having on two systems.
> Since sending the email I have been receiving a boat load
> of libreoffice-users emails that I am finding very
> informative but nothing about my Pilcrow.
> Questions:
> Did I send it to the right place?Do I even know if it was
> received?Is there an input queue that it goes into and I'll
> see something when it's looked at?And lastly, does anyone on
> this list know how to get my Pilcrows back.
> Sorry for jumping in but thanks in advance.
> Bob
>
> Bob Houston eBook Formattinghttp://about.me/BobHouston
> http://facebook.com/eBookFormatting
>

> > Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:20:50 +0000
> > From: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] The tone of thiese
> Lists
> > To: [hidden email]
> >
> > Hi :)
> > We have phases.  This is a fairly bad phase but
> we have had worse and got through.  Typically we arrive
> the other side of these bad times better friends than we
> were previously and with more understanding of how other
> people think.  It's all part of being in a
> community.  Someone has an excellent signature saying
> something like "Friends argue.  Non-friends just don't
> care enough".
> >
> > Regards from
> > Tom :)
> >

> > --- On Sat, 26/11/11, David <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > From: David <[hidden email]>
> > > Subject: [libreoffice-users] The tone of thiese
> Lists
> > > To: [hidden email]
> > > Date: Saturday, 26 November, 2011, 16:08
> > > Is it just me or is the tone of the
> > > messages on these lists turned
> > > extremely hostile as of late?
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > >   David
> > >
> > > --
> > > All messages sent to this list will be publicly
> archived
> > > and cannot be deleted
> > >

> > --
> > All messages sent to this list will be publicly
> archived and cannot be deleted

> All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived
> and cannot be deleted

Bob Houston Bob Houston

RE: The tone of thiese Lists (from a newbie)

Tom,
Thanks for the quick response.  My question was sent directly to (user+help) but right after signing up.  Maybe I should have waited for the dust to settle before launching the question.  I'll resend the email.Thanks again.And I truly am enjoying the boat load of emails. |:>)

Clio-2 Clio-2

26.11.2011 12:45, Bob Houston пишет:

> Hi,I hope it's OK to jump in with a question, because I'm one of the newbies that you may be talking about.
> I sent an email off to (user+help) on 11/23 about a problem with the display of hidden characters (The Pilcrow) that I am having on two systems.
> Since sending the email I have been receiving a boat load of libreoffice-users emails that I am finding very informative but nothing about my Pilcrow.
> Questions:
> Did I send it to the right place?Do I even know if it was received?Is there an input queue that it goes into and I'll see something when it's looked at?And lastly, does anyone on this list know how to get my Pilcrows back.
> Sorry for jumping in but thanks in advance.
> Bob
>
> Bob Houston eBook Formattinghttp://about.me/BobHouston
> http://facebook.com/eBookFormatting
>

>> -- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to:
>> [hidden email]

users+help is not a list, it is used to send you instructions about how to unsubscribe, and I think the incoming messages are never read by people.

David S. Crampton David S. Crampton

Re: The tone of thiese Lists (from a newbie)

Bob,

I made the same mistake when I first signed up. I was sending questions to
"users+help". The syntax makes that sound reasonable. After the 3rd try of
getting the same boilerplate "help" message back I found the correct:
"[hidden email]".  That's what puts you in business!

Good luck,
David S. Crampton

--
David S. Crampton

David S. Crampton
Bob Houston Bob Houston

RE: The tone of thiese Lists (from a newbie)

If I understand the procedure correctly I just post the question to (libreoffice-users)?
Thanks

Bob Houston eBook Formattinghttp://about.me/BobHouston
http://facebook.com/eBookFormatting

> Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 13:13:04 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] The tone of thiese Lists (from a newbie)
>
> 26.11.2011 12:45, Bob Houston пишет:
> > Hi,I hope it's OK to jump in with a question, because I'm one of the newbies that you may be talking about.
> > I sent an email off to (user+help) on 11/23 about a problem with the display of hidden characters (The Pilcrow) that I am having on two systems.
> > Since sending the email I have been receiving a boat load of libreoffice-users emails that I am finding very informative but nothing about my Pilcrow.
> > Questions:
> > Did I send it to the right place?Do I even know if it was received?Is there an input queue that it goes into and I'll see something when it's looked at?And lastly, does anyone on this list know how to get my Pilcrows back.
> > Sorry for jumping in but thanks in advance.
> > Bob
> >
> > Bob Houston eBook Formattinghttp://about.me/BobHouston
> > http://facebook.com/eBookFormatting
> >

> >> -- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to:
> >> [hidden email]
> >
> users+help is not a list, it is used to send you instructions about how to unsubscribe, and I think the incoming messages are never read by people.

Bob Houston Bob Houston

RE: From not so newbie now

Thanks David.  "[hidden email]" it will be.BobBob Houston eBook Formattinghttp://about.me/BobHouston
http://facebook.com/eBookFormatting

> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] The tone of thiese Lists (from a newbie)
> Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:22:52 -0800
> From: [hidden email]
>
> Bob,
>
> I made the same mistake when I first signed up. I was sending questions to
> "users+help". The syntax makes that sound reasonable. After the 3rd try of
> getting the same boilerplate "help" message back I found the correct:
> "[hidden email]".  That's what puts you in business!
>
> Good luck,
> David S. Crampton
>
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 09:11:52 -0800, Bob Houston <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > Tom,
> > Thanks for the quick response.  My question was sent directly to
> > (user+help) but right after signing up.  Maybe I should have waited for
> > the dust to settle before launching the question.  I'll resend the
> > email.Thanks again.And I truly am enjoying the boat load of emails. |:>)
> > Bob
> >

> > Bob Houston eBook Formattinghttp://about.me/BobHouston
> > http://facebook.com/eBookFormatting
> >

> >> Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 16:59:12 +0000
> >> From: [hidden email]
> >> Subject: RE: [libreoffice-users] The tone of thiese Lists (from a
> >> newbie)
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >>
> >> Hi :)
> >> Weird.  I couldn't find your question.  I had a look through Nabble
> >> http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/nabble-mailing-list-interface/
> >> and also checked all through my in-box for the last few days.  (That's
> >> usually a good way to find a post that accidentally (or deliberately)
> >> hijacked a thread).
> >>
> >> The best way to ask a question is to write a new email rather than just
> >> using "Reply to".  Or in Nabble click "New Topic" somewhere top(ish)
> >> left.  GMane will have something similar no doubt.
> >>
> >> Please could you ask again but make it a new question?
> >>
> >> Regards from
> >> Tom :)

Nicolás Adamo Nicolás Adamo

Re: The tone of thiese Lists

2011/11/26 David <[hidden email]>

> On 11/26/2011 11:20 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
> > Hi :)
> > We have phases.  This is a fairly bad phase but we have had worse and
> got through.  Typically we arrive the other side of these bad times better
> friends than we were previously and with more understanding of how other
> people think.  It's all part of being in a community.  Someone has an
> excellent signature saying something like "Friends argue.  Non-friends just
> don't care enough".
> >
> > Regards from
> > Tom :)
>

> Well I was wondering. I joined these lists hoping for 'pearls of
> wisdom'. If I want bickering, name calling, or insults I could just call
> my ex-wife.
>
> :-)

:) Very Good One!!!

Bad2theBone Bad2theBone

Re: The tone of thiese Lists

On 11/26/2011 11:27 AM, David wrote:

> On 11/26/2011 11:20 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
>> Hi :)
>> We have phases.  This is a fairly bad phase but we have had worse and got through.  Typically we arrive the other side of these bad times better friends than we were previously and with more understanding of how other people think.  It's all part of being in a community.  Someone has an excellent signature saying something like "Friends argue.  Non-friends just don't care enough".
>>
>> Regards from
>> Tom :)
>
> Well I was wondering. I joined these lists hoping for 'pearls of
> wisdom'. If I want bickering, name calling, or insults I could just call
> my ex-wife.
>
> :-)
All my exes live in Texas :-)

Hey! I was born confused, what's your excuse?
Dag Wieers Dag Wieers

Re: The tone of thiese Lists

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011, Scott Castaline wrote:

> On 11/26/2011 11:27 AM, David wrote:
>
>>  Well I was wondering. I joined these lists hoping for 'pearls of
>>  wisdom'. If I want bickering, name calling, or insults I could just call
>>  my ex-wife.
>>
>>  :-)
>
> All my exes live in Texas :-)

Is this in reference to 'pearls of wisdom' or the bickering ? ;-)

--
-- dag wieers, [hidden email], http://dag.wieers.com/
-- dagit linux solutions, [hidden email], http://dagit.net/

Jack Jack

Bob Houston wrote:
> If I understand the procedure correctly I just post the question to (libreoffice-users)?

That's correct.   Just post to libreoffice-users
([hidden email]), as you are doing right now.

Regards
Stephan