Tom Morton shared "Dissertation" with you

Tom Morton (via Dropbox) Tom Morton (via Dropbox)

Tom Morton shared "Dissertation" with you

Hi there,

Tom Morton ([hidden email]) invited you to edit the folder " Dissertation " on Dropbox.

Tom said:
"Hello,

I was writing my dissertation yesterday using Libre Office Writer. I accidentally saved it as 2003 XML document.

I had written 3000+ words and now I can not get the words back.

However, when I open the document in Libre Office Writer, It comes up saying that there is 3000+ words in the word count and 6 pages in the properties but I can only see headers, some footnotes and two small paragraphs. My hand in is on monday and I'm having a nightmare right now.

if i open the document in anything other than Libre Office Writer, it only appears in formula or code.

I am going to attach the document now.

Thanks for your help in advance. "

Go to folder[1]

Enjoy!
The Dropbox team

[1]: https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/PhCWhej6ONTpdPrSFdlZ5g?text=1
Piet van Oostrum-2 Piet van Oostrum-2

Re: Tom Morton shared "Dissertation" with you

Tom Morton \(via Dropbox\) wrote:

 > Hi there,
 >
 > Tom Morton ([hidden email]) invited you to edit the folder " Dissertation " on Dropbox.
 >
 > Tom said:
 > "Hello,
 >
 > I was writing my dissertation yesterday using Libre Office Writer. I accidentally saved it as 2003 XML document.
 >
 > I had written 3000+ words and now I can not get the words back.
 >
 > However, when I open the document in Libre Office Writer, It comes up saying that there is 3000+ words in the word count and 6 pages in the properties but I can only see headers, some footnotes and two small paragraphs. My hand in is on monday and I'm having a nightmare right now.
 >
 > if i open the document in anything other than Libre Office Writer, it only appears in formula or code.
 >
 > I am going to attach the document now.
 >
 > Thanks for your help in advance. "
 >
 > Go to folder[1]
 >
 > Enjoy!
 > The Dropbox team
 >
 > [1]: https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/PhCWhej6ONTpdPrSFdlZ5g?text=1

I looked into the file, and when I open it in LO (5.2), it indeed says 3362 words, 20511 characters. But that is just a number stored in the file. As soon as you do something (like add a space), it has to recalculate the number of words and it comes down to 292 words, 2980 characters. I looked inside the xml file, and that really is all there is. There is no other hidden or invisible text. So if this xml file is all you have, I am afraid the rest is lost.

I saved it as ODT in the folder but I don't know if that will reach you also or if it is just a local copy for myself.
--
Piet van Oostrum <[hidden email]>
WWW: http://pietvanoostrum.com/

Philip Jackson Philip Jackson

Re: Tom Morton shared "Dissertation" with you

Hi Tom,

It must have taken you an hour or so to write 3000 words. Did you have
automatic backups switched on ?  If so, you can likely find several
copies saved every 10 minutes or so.

Have you checked your backup path ?

Philip