Too many sheets?

PDA1 PDA1

Too many sheets?

PDA1 PDA1

Re: Too many sheets?

Anybody have any ideas?
nabbler nabbler

Re: Too many sheets?

On 23/02/2012, . <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There are 35 sheets within the file
>
> The file is becoming rather slow when saving and loading it (probably
> because my computer is 10 years old, etc)  No, the drive isn't full-
> only 2% used so far.
>
> What can I do to speed up the manipulation of the Calc file?  Some of
> the sheets could be just put into another Calc file and referenced to
> the main file....I have no idea how to do that but it sounds good.

Search the mailing list archive for posts 'database vs spreadsheet'
and consider whether you are organising your data in an efficient
design.

Pedro Pedro

Re: Too many sheets?

Are all the spreadsheets needed? Do you have formulas that connect all 35 sheets? Or are many of them complete and not updated?

If you need all 35 tables, then you are using a spreadsheet as a database :)
PDA1 PDA1

Re: Too many sheets?

Yes, all of the spreadsheets are needed.

I have a main sheet named START wherein all of the "data" is entered, such as names and birth dates.  Then on each of the 35 sheets an array has been created which shows all of the data that was entered in the sheet named START.  But....as each sheet is specific to a certain person (and not all people) only that persons "data" will appear on a given sheet in the cells that I want them to.

Does that make any sense?
PDA1 PDA1

Re: Too many sheets?

Yes, all of the spreadsheets are needed.

I have a main sheet named START wherein all of the "data" is entered, such as names and birth dates.  Then on each of the 35 sheets an array has been created which shows all of the data that was entered in the sheet named START.  But....as each sheet is specific to a certain person (and not all people) only that persons "data" will appear on a given sheet in the cells that I want them to.

Here's how it appears- Spreadsheet at the top  (starting at A1) (let's call the sheet CARLTON) wherein all of the information from the sheet START appears.  Below that spreadsheet CARLTON with all of the data is an array that shows ALL of the data from the sheet START.  CARLTON has cells with formulas that get the necessary information/data from the array below it.

Does that make any sense?
Tom Tom

Re: Too many sheets?

Hi :)
Wow!  That really does sound like something that would be better handled by a database.  Plus it sounds as though you have already made the most difficult step that most people have with databases which is the conceptualisation in your brain.  Most people never get that far.

Please forgive me my excitement but i just thought this was a heavy and intractable spreadsheet issue which i tend to find very, very dull.

The "Start" sheet would be the table of data.  All the other sheets would be Forms/Reports built up from Queries.  Initially people would probably feel more comfortable using the Queries directly as they look like a spreadsheet.  Forms&Reports display the same info in a prettier gui so they might get built-up later.  Queries are probably easier to work with and are clearer about exactly how they choose which data to show from the table.   It's probably easier to modify or tweak Queries if things change in the future.

I take it the information in "Start" is confidential?  Is it possible for you to let us see the formulas of 1 or 2 of the other sheets?  or even just a couple of the formulae from 1 of the sheets that reads the data?  This list doesn't handle attachments so either copy and paste a couple directly into email/message or use Nabble?

PDA1 PDA1

Re: Too many sheets?

Well, the complex part is that each of the Calc sheets has to be printed.  Each of the sheets has different fonts applied to the text to make it more pleasant to look at.  I'm trying to create a spreadsheet(s) that are usable on Calc and M$ Excel

Database programs have always been a mystery to me.   I guess I'll learn....somehow.

Another "handicap" to what I'm doing is largely determined by the speed of the ancient computers I use.  Most 'em are trash picked wrecks....here...let me take a look at the label on this one...hold on a minute....it says something like, "Vic 20".  Maybe that's someone's name?  (well, I thought it was funny)

Tom Tom

Re: Too many sheets?

Hi :)
Is the 20 short for 1920?  Here is an advert starring the incredible William Shatner just to show off how far in the future the product is, errr was.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUEI7mm8M7Q

There is documentation here
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Guide
which can help you fill in the gaps even tho you already have most of the plan already drawn-up.

Queries don't tend to have nice layouts and fonts so they look like raw spreadsheets but that is where Forms&Reports come in.  It's best (imo) to have the Queries do the calculations and filtering and then have the Forms&Reports read the data from them rather than directly from the Table.  Some people have the Forms&Reports do all the calculations and filtering themselves but i find that has a tendency to be less flexible and less easy to fix or modify.

PDA1 PDA1

Re: Too many sheets?

Tom,

Oh man oh man....sign me up for one!  My very first computer was the Timex/Sinclair TS-1000.

Thank you for the information about LO Base.  I'll look it over in a bit.

'Have a nice weekend.

Alek

On 02/25/2012 10:47 AM, Tom [via Document Foundation Mail Archive] wrote:
[...]

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Too-many-sheets-tp3769750p3775158.html
To unsubscribe from Too many sheets?, click here.
NAML

Calvin Kim-2 Calvin Kim-2

Re: Too many sheets?

On 02/23/2012 08:47 AM, . wrote:
> What can I do to speed up the manipulation of the Calc file?  Some of
> the sheets could be just put into another Calc file and referenced to
> the main file....I have no idea how to do that but it sounds good.
Have you tried following link?
http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Referencing_a_Cell_in_Another_Document

Maybe each sheet(person) can be separate calc files with reference to
main(start sheet) file.

cK

Tom Tom

Re: Too many sheets?

One advantage of using a database should be greater stability partly due to less ram getting used up.  There might be other things like greater control, multi-user (maybe, but i'm not certain), maybe smaller file-size.

Vic20 had 16kb of "memory". I had a ZX81 and eventually got a 16Kb extension pack that plugged  into the back of it.  It kept making the machine crash.  Accepted wisdom at the time was roughly the same as the cure for a wobbly table.  We put a book under the computer and let the expansion pack hang loosely off the back.  Magically no more crashes.  Well, not so many.
http://oldcomputers.net/zx81.html

Yes, have a good weekend and don't worry about not replying until Monday or whenever.  The thread stays here.
Tom Tom

Re: Too many sheets?

I think this is the best, fastest option for the short-term.  Copy&paste might help to adjust the formulas quickly of course.

> What can I do to speed up the manipulation of the Calc file?  Some of
> the sheets could be just put into another Calc file and referenced to
> the main file....I have no idea how to do that but it sounds good.
Have you tried following link?
http://help.libreoffice.org/Calc/Referencing_a_Cell_in_Another_Document

Maybe each sheet(person) can be separate calc files with reference to main(start sheet) file.

cK

-- For unsubscribe instructions e-mail to: [hidden email]

JOE CONNER JOE CONNER

Re: Too many sheets?

On 2/25/2012 06:37 AM, PDA1 wrote:
> <<snip>>

> Another "handicap" to what I'm doing is largely determined by the speed of
> the ancient computers I use.  Most 'em are trash picked wrecks....here...let
> me take a look at the label on this one...hold on a minute....it says
> something like, "Vic 20".  Maybe that's someone's name?  (well, I thought it
> was funny)

My son called it the "Victim 20"