Top Posting... Can we have an LO Mailing List Guidelines Page?

123 « Prev
Wolf Halton Wolf Halton

Re: Top Posting... Can we have an LO Mailing List Guidelines Page?

Hi,

Just to add to the mix.  My email client on android always makes me
top-post, adding the original post on the bottom.  It is interesting that
people take the posting style so personally when they have not got enough
information.  It is quite alright to give me (or people who use Androids)
special dispensation, if you want to, but that is not the point.  What gives
anybody the right to rag about others' correspondence style, really?  These
are people. not machines.  The reader is unlikely to hard crash when
presented with an unexpected top post, or hang until reboot when presented
with the awful "interspersed" answer style.

Personally, I would rather see a person's answer at the top of the post, and
if I am unsure of the context, I can read the (usually un-pruned) previous
message string below.

Happy Monday,
Wolf

snowshed snowshed

On 10/17/2011 4:58 AM, Wolf Halton wrote:
> What gives
> anybody the right to rag about others' correspondence style, really?

If you are doing individual emails between friends, no one really, IMO,
other than your friends.  And I do have a friend I've taken to task
about his random method of replying to emails, especially as it pertains
to our efforts to start a business.

But this is not email amongst friends.  This is group of individuals
trying to communicate and share information.

In any group, you have to have a set of rules everyone must follow if
the group is to function successfully.  It doesn't matter if the group
is a car club, church group, management structure of a company, local
government, examples could be almost limitless.

When folks choose not to follow those rules, the system breaks down and
less gets accomplished.

Forums are a good example of this.  Ever read the last message in a
forum, then spend15 minutes searching for the message the last poster
was replying to?  Or, read a long post, and want to try to sort things
in that post chronologically when some people have top posted, some have
bottom posted, and others have  interspersed?   :-)  Personally, I've
got better things to do than scroll back and forth through jumbled posts
and long forum threads, which is why I don't use forums on a regular
basis.  They waste my time.

Which is easier to search through, a filing cabinet where everything is
organized by some system, or a filing cabinet where everything is just
tossed in the drawer?  If everyone in a group, like this newsgroup, does
whatever they want, you have example two of the filing cabinet.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 7.0.1
Thunderbird 7.0.1
LibreOffice 3.3.4

Andrew Pitonyak Andrew Pitonyak

Re: Top Posting... Can we have an LO Mailing List Guidelines Page?

> When folks choose not to follow those rules, the system breaks down
> and less gets accomplished.

Just spent the last hour deleting spam, freezing spammer accounts,
disallowing spammer IP addresses on an OOo Forum, come here and see
people still arguing about top or bottom posting....

Sorry Ken, feeling grumpy. I hate spammers!

snowshed snowshed

On 10/18/11 11:14 PM, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
> Sorry Ken, feeling grumpy.

No offense taken, Andrew.

>I hate spammers!

Ditto, as well as thieves.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 7.0.1
Thunderbird 7.0.1
LibreOffice 3.3.4

Melodie Melodie

Le 10/09/11 13:31, Ken Springer a écrit :

> Seriously, though, I checked the source for your message, and we both
> are using Thunderbird 6.
>
> Within the last week, I learned about the QuoteCollapse add-on.  It
> takes each quoted section of a reply, and collapses it to one line.
> There's a little plus sign that will let you expand that section to
> full length.  It's great for those posts where there's been no
> trimming, but lots of replies.
>
> At this point, this add-on would seem to eliminate the need of
> trimming, too.
>
> Add it to your TB, I'd like to know what you think of it.  It may do a
> lot to solve your issues and concerns.
>
> If the author for Quote Colors would make that add-on compatible with
> TB 6, then replying would be easier, IMO.

I've used Quote Colors for quite some time, at each update of TB I get
error messages, then mysteriously all starts to work again within a
couple of days without any intervention from my part, and without an
update to QC (is working at the moment).

regards

Tanstaafl Tanstaafl

On 2011-10-20 4:52 AM, Mélodie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've used Quote Colors for quite some time, at each update of TB I get
> error messages, then mysteriously all starts to work again within a
> couple of days without any intervention from my part, and without an
> update to QC (is working at the moment).

It is called a compatibility update...

123 « Prev