Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
33 messages Options
Next » 12
H H
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

I am a recent convert to using markdown for creating draft documents, outlines etc. My primary OS is CentOS where I use geany with a plugin although I believe gedit also allows for creating/editing markdown documents(?) On windows I have both geany, markdown pad íí, and notepad ii.

Now I would also like to create drafts of documents and of slide presentations in markdown to later be transferred to OpenOffice or LibreOffice Writer for finishing the text documents or OpenOffice or LibreOffice Impress for finishing slide presentations. Ideally allowing me to go both ways for the final version.

I do not seem able to accomplish the latter and have not found the ideal markdown editor yet - preferable allowing me to hide sections similarly to what you could do with the old DOS outliners - suggestions welcome!

Thank you.




--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Brian Barker Brian Barker
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

At 15:55 19/11/2016 -0500, Honly Noname wrote:
>I am a recent convert to using [M]arkdown for creating draft
>documents, outlines etc. [...] Now I would also like to create
>drafts of documents and of slide presentations in markdown to later
>be transferred to OpenOffice or LibreOffice Writer for finishing the
>text documents or OpenOffice or LibreOffice Impress for finishing
>slide presentations. [...] I do not seem able to accomplish the latter ...

I know nothing about Markdown, but simply reading Wikipedia tells me
it can be used to produce HTML - indeed, that this is its primary
function. HTML can be opened by LibreOffice Writer and you can save
as .odt from there.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

I've used quite a few Markdown editors. I know nothing about CentOS, so
I can't recommend anything for that OS. On Windows, I like WriteMonkey.
In Linux, the best I've seen is ReText, but last I checked, it's
developer was no longer supporting an Ubuntu PPA for the program making
installation less smooth on Ubuntu.

Since Markdown is a pure text file with formatting marks inserted, you
could easily edit such a file with LO. It sounds like what you're asking
is a way to convert the Markdown file to a LO format. I'm not sure of a
direct way of doing that. You might try Pandoc, an online file converter.

My greatest frustration with Markdown, aside from its many different
flavors, is that there doesn't seem to be a complete Markdown solution
anywhere. At best, there are add-on tools to some existing products
(like your Geany), but I've not found anything (at least in the
free-software realm) that actually includes everything you need.

I've found myself using LaTeX to create HTML files. It's htlatex
converter does a nice job and creates an easily editable .CSS file. And,
after nearly 40 years of development, it's really complete.

Virgil


On 11/20/2016 12:15 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 15:55 19/11/2016 -0500, Honly Noname wrote:
>> I am a recent convert to using [M]arkdown for creating draft
>> documents, outlines etc. [...] Now I would also like to create drafts
>> of documents and of slide presentations in markdown to later be
>> transferred to OpenOffice or LibreOffice Writer for finishing the
>> text documents or OpenOffice or LibreOffice Impress for finishing
>> slide presentations. [...] I do not seem able to accomplish the
>> latter ...
>
> I know nothing about Markdown, but simply reading Wikipedia tells me
> it can be used to produce HTML - indeed, that this is its primary
> function. HTML can be opened by LibreOffice Writer and you can save as
> .odt from there.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker
>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

RGB-es RGB-es
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

El 2016-11-20 14:45, Virgil Arrington escribió:

> <snip>
>
> Since Markdown is a pure text file with formatting marks inserted, you
> could easily edit such a file with LO. It sounds like what you're
> asking
> is a way to convert the Markdown file to a LO format. I'm not sure of a
> direct way of doing that. You might try Pandoc, an online file
> converter.
>
> <snip>

Pandoc can be installed on any system, but only recent versions support
ODT, so you need to look with version if offered by CentOS

http://pandoc.org/

Regards,
Ricardo

--
Il mio blog in italiano: https://ilpinguinoscrittore.wordpress.com/
Mi blog en español: https://elpinguinotolkiano.wordpress.com/

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Cor Nouws Cor Nouws
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by H
H wrote on 19-11-16 21:55:

> Now I would also like to create drafts of documents and of slide
> presentations in markdown to later be transferred to OpenOffice or
> LibreOffice Writer for finishing the text documents or OpenOffice or
> LibreOffice Impress for finishing slide presentations. Ideally allowing
> me to go both ways for the final version.

You'll be interested in this blog :)
https://blog.thebehrens.net/2015/03/13/announcing-odpdown-a-markdown-to-odp-converter/


--
Cor Nouws
GPD key ID: 0xB13480A6 - 591A 30A7 36A0 CE3C 3D28  A038 E49D 7365 B134 80A6
- vrijwilliger http://nl.libreoffice.org
- volunteer http://www.libreoffice.org
- The Document Foundation Membership Committee Member

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
H H
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by Brian Barker
Tried it but it does not work very well. I exported one of my markdown documents to HTML from Markdownpad 2 but the export filter inserted lots of extraneous style information that I do not want. I am looking for the minimal information for OO/LO to understand Heading1, lists, tables etc. without adding any extra information.

Also, I would expect reverting to markdown format from OO/LO to be quite a mess.


On 11/20/2016 12:15 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 15:55 19/11/2016 -0500, Honly Noname wrote:
>> I am a recent convert to using [M]arkdown for creating draft documents, outlines etc. [...] Now I would also like to create drafts of documents and of slide presentations in markdown to later be transferred to OpenOffice or LibreOffice Writer for finishing the text documents or OpenOffice or LibreOffice Impress for finishing slide presentations. [...] I do not seem able to accomplish the latter ...
>
> I know nothing about Markdown, but simply reading Wikipedia tells me it can be used to produce HTML - indeed, that this is its primary function. HTML can be opened by LibreOffice Writer and you can save as .odt from there.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker
>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

H H
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by Virgil Arrington
I am looking for seamless interchange between OO/LO and markdown... I understand there is a plugin for Word, Writage, that allows one to convert between the different formats. However, since I do not use Word I am not able to try it. I have not found any such plugin for OO/LO - yet - but that would seem to be the perfect approach.


On 11/20/2016 8:45 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> I've used quite a few Markdown editors. I know nothing about CentOS, so
> I can't recommend anything for that OS. On Windows, I like WriteMonkey.
> In Linux, the best I've seen is ReText, but last I checked, it's
> developer was no longer supporting an Ubuntu PPA for the program making
> installation less smooth on Ubuntu.
>
> Since Markdown is a pure text file with formatting marks inserted, you
> could easily edit such a file with LO. It sounds like what you're asking
> is a way to convert the Markdown file to a LO format. I'm not sure of a
> direct way of doing that. You might try Pandoc, an online file converter.
>
> My greatest frustration with Markdown, aside from its many different
> flavors, is that there doesn't seem to be a complete Markdown solution
> anywhere. At best, there are add-on tools to some existing products
> (like your Geany), but I've not found anything (at least in the
> free-software realm) that actually includes everything you need.
>
> I've found myself using LaTeX to create HTML files. It's htlatex
> converter does a nice job and creates an easily editable .CSS file. And,
> after nearly 40 years of development, it's really complete.
>
> Virgil
>
>
> On 11/20/2016 12:15 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
>> At 15:55 19/11/2016 -0500, Honly Noname wrote:
>>> I am a recent convert to using [M]arkdown for creating draft
>>> documents, outlines etc. [...] Now I would also like to create drafts
>>> of documents and of slide presentations in markdown to later be
>>> transferred to OpenOffice or LibreOffice Writer for finishing the
>>> text documents or OpenOffice or LibreOffice Impress for finishing
>>> slide presentations. [...] I do not seem able to accomplish the
>>> latter ...
>> I know nothing about Markdown, but simply reading Wikipedia tells me
>> it can be used to produce HTML - indeed, that this is its primary
>> function. HTML can be opened by LibreOffice Writer and you can save as
>> .odt from there.
>>
>> I trust this helps.
>>
>> Brian Barker
>>
>>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted

H H
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by RGB-es
I do have Pandoc installed, have not tested it yet, but I would much prefer a seamless way of moving between OO/LO and markdown format. Either the native ability to read/save in markdown format, or a plugin doing the same.


On 11/20/2016 9:13 AM, Ricardo wrote:

> El 2016-11-20 14:45, Virgil Arrington escribió:
>> <snip>
>>
>> Since Markdown is a pure text file with formatting marks inserted, you
>> could easily edit such a file with LO. It sounds like what you're asking
>> is a way to convert the Markdown file to a LO format. I'm not sure of a
>> direct way of doing that. You might try Pandoc, an online file converter.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Pandoc can be installed on any system, but only recent versions support ODT, so you need to look with version if offered by CentOS
>
> http://pandoc.org/
>
> Regards,
> Ricardo
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
H H
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by Cor Nouws
Yes, that does look quite promising, however, it looks like it is abandonware: open bugs and no updates for quite some time. Also, it talks about presentations, I am not sure if it would work with OO documents.

Is anyone using it? I will not have a chance to try it until next week.


On 11/20/2016 10:31 AM, Cor Nouws wrote:

> H wrote on 19-11-16 21:55:
>
>> Now I would also like to create drafts of documents and of slide
>> presentations in markdown to later be transferred to OpenOffice or
>> LibreOffice Writer for finishing the text documents or OpenOffice or
>> LibreOffice Impress for finishing slide presentations. Ideally allowing
>> me to go both ways for the final version.
> You'll be interested in this blog :)
> https://blog.thebehrens.net/2015/03/13/announcing-odpdown-a-markdown-to-odp-converter/
>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
J.B. Nicholson-Owens J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by H
H wrote:
> I am looking for seamless interchange between OO/LO and markdown...

I don't see how this would be possible. Any modern word processor has
features not found in markdown, therefore each of those features would be
impossible to seamlessly convert to markdown.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
H H
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

I should have been clearer. If you read my previous message you will see that I am not looking for what you are describing, rather the ability to read/write document and presentation files in markdown format.

The Multimarkdown editor supposedly can create OO files but since it does not run on my systems I have not been able to give it a try.


On 11/20/2016 8:26 PM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:
> H wrote:
>> I am looking for seamless interchange between OO/LO and markdown...
>
> I don't see how this would be possible. Any modern word processor has features not found in markdown, therefore each of those features would be impossible to seamlessly convert to markdown.
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
J.B. Nicholson-Owens J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

H wrote:
> I should have been clearer. If you read my previous message you will see
> that I am not looking for what you are describing, rather the ability to
> read/write document and presentation files in markdown format.

This runs into the same problem -- a modern presentation program (such as
LibreOffice's) is capable of recording many things in ODF files that can't
be converted into markdown.

The nature of your problem is that you seek to go from a very capable
modern format (such as ODF) to a simple format which, by design, can "only
addresses issues that can be conveyed in plain text" (per
https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax).

> The Multimarkdown editor supposedly can create OO files but since it does
> not run on my systems I have not been able to give it a try.

Going from markdown to ODF should be fine, going the other way is naturally
going to be lossy.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Gordon Cooper Gordon Cooper
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

To divert a little, but not talking about Markdown.

We were looking for a simple way of of producing documents in html,
thought we were on the right track until some of the potential users
asked for pdf too.  We now use Lyx for the authoring, it produces
formatted text, without formatting marks having to be typed in.

 From the Lyx master, we output in pdf and html, with DVI and xhtml
available as options.  Where Open Document format is needed, the html
can be directly pasted in to .odt, but with one failing. A Table of Contents
in Lyx loses the page links in the paste function . There is an easy
work-around, just create a new ToC in Libre Office - about 4 clicks,
and delete the original ToC.

Gordon Cooper

MX-Linux Documentation Team
Tauranga N.Z.




--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

You can do much the same with LO itself.

I've always loved the PDF output from LO's PDF converter. For some
reason I've never been able to figure out, its PDF output seems sharper
and crisper than the PDF output created by other programs, including
LaTeX or LyX. It may just be me.

I've also been impressed with LO's HTML output. It has a couple
different options, either of which which will produce a fairly simple
HTML file which can easily be edited further with any text editor.

And, where an OpenDocument file is needed, you have it without any need
for further conversion.

I confess I'm fairly OCD when it comes to my endless search for the
perfect document creation tool (which of course doesn't exist). In the
FOSS world, I've tried everything from LO to LaTeX, LyX, Markdown, and
ReStructuredText, but I almost always come back to LO.

I usually try one of the other alternatives when I need to do something
LO won't do only to learn later that LO would have done it quite well if
I had only taken the time to learn it.

Virgil


On 11/20/2016 10:41 PM, gordon cooper wrote:

> To divert a little, but not talking about Markdown.
>
> We were looking for a simple way of of producing documents in html,
> thought we were on the right track until some of the potential users
> asked for pdf too.  We now use Lyx for the authoring, it produces
> formatted text, without formatting marks having to be typed in.
>
> From the Lyx master, we output in pdf and html, with DVI and xhtml
> available as options.  Where Open Document format is needed, the html
> can be directly pasted in to .odt, but with one failing. A Table of
> Contents
> in Lyx loses the page links in the paste function . There is an easy
> work-around, just create a new ToC in Libre Office - about 4 clicks,
> and delete the original ToC.
>
> Gordon Cooper
>
> MX-Linux Documentation Team
> Tauranga N.Z.
>
>
>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
fudmer rieley fudmer rieley
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by H
yes, but but libre office needs to bite into the applie ios( I pad pro).
 






--------------------------------------------
On Mon, 11/21/16, Virgil Arrington <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice
 To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Monday, November 21, 2016, 8:07 AM
 
 You can do much the same with LO
 itself.
 
 I've always loved the PDF output from LO's PDF converter.
 For some
 reason I've never been able to figure out, its PDF output
 seems sharper
 and crisper than the PDF output created by other programs,
 including
 LaTeX or LyX. It may just be me.
 
 I've also been impressed with LO's HTML output. It has a
 couple
 different options, either of which which will produce a
 fairly simple
 HTML file which can easily be edited further with any text
 editor.
 
 And, where an OpenDocument file is needed, you have it
 without any need
 for further conversion.
 
 I confess I'm fairly OCD when it comes to my endless search
 for the
 perfect document creation tool (which of course doesn't
 exist). In the
 FOSS world, I've tried everything from LO to LaTeX, LyX,
 Markdown, and
 ReStructuredText, but I almost always come back to LO.
 
 I usually try one of the other alternatives when I need to
 do something
 LO won't do only to learn later that LO would have done it
 quite well if
 I had only taken the time to learn it.
 
 Virgil
 
 
 On 11/20/2016 10:41 PM, gordon cooper wrote:
 > To divert a little, but not talking about Markdown.
 >
 > We were looking for a simple way of of producing
 documents in html,
 > thought we were on the right track until some of the
 potential users
 > asked for pdf too.  We now use Lyx for the
 authoring, it produces
 > formatted text, without formatting marks having to be
 typed in.
 >
 > From the Lyx master, we output in pdf and html, with
 DVI and xhtml
 > available as options.  Where Open Document format
 is needed, the html
 > can be directly pasted in to .odt, but with one
 failing. A Table of
 > Contents
 > in Lyx loses the page links in the paste function .
 There is an easy
 > work-around, just create a new ToC in Libre Office -
 about 4 clicks,
 > and delete the original ToC.
 >
 > Gordon Cooper
 >
 > MX-Linux Documentation Team
 > Tauranga N.Z.
 >
 >
 >
 >
 
 
 --
 To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
 Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
 Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
 List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
 All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and
 cannot be deleted
 

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
H H
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by Virgil Arrington
Interesting but I want to emphasize that this is not a solution for what I seek to accomplish.


On 11/21/2016 9:07 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:

> You can do much the same with LO itself.
>
> I've always loved the PDF output from LO's PDF converter. For some
> reason I've never been able to figure out, its PDF output seems sharper
> and crisper than the PDF output created by other programs, including
> LaTeX or LyX. It may just be me.
>
> I've also been impressed with LO's HTML output. It has a couple
> different options, either of which which will produce a fairly simple
> HTML file which can easily be edited further with any text editor.
>
> And, where an OpenDocument file is needed, you have it without any need
> for further conversion.
>
> I confess I'm fairly OCD when it comes to my endless search for the
> perfect document creation tool (which of course doesn't exist). In the
> FOSS world, I've tried everything from LO to LaTeX, LyX, Markdown, and
> ReStructuredText, but I almost always come back to LO.
>
> I usually try one of the other alternatives when I need to do something
> LO won't do only to learn later that LO would have done it quite well if
> I had only taken the time to learn it.
>
> Virgil
>
>
> On 11/20/2016 10:41 PM, gordon cooper wrote:
>> To divert a little, but not talking about Markdown.
>>
>> We were looking for a simple way of of producing documents in html,
>> thought we were on the right track until some of the potential users
>> asked for pdf too.  We now use Lyx for the authoring, it produces
>> formatted text, without formatting marks having to be typed in.
>>
>>  From the Lyx master, we output in pdf and html, with DVI and xhtml
>> available as options.  Where Open Document format is needed, the html
>> can be directly pasted in to .odt, but with one failing. A Table of
>> Contents
>> in Lyx loses the page links in the paste function . There is an easy
>> work-around, just create a new ToC in Libre Office - about 4 clicks,
>> and delete the original ToC.
>>
>> Gordon Cooper
>>
>> MX-Linux Documentation Team
>> Tauranga N.Z.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
H H
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Again, this is not what I am trying to do and of course I am aware that any OO/LO document has lots of formatting and options that markdown lacks that would be lost going from OO/LO, that's the reason for using markdown.

My focus - which the other users understood - is to focus on the content of the document, using OO/LO later to polish the presentation of the content.

Although I did not mention it, there are also several markdown editors running on Android phones and tablets allowing me to work on document content on the go.


On 11/20/2016 9:13 PM, J.B. Nicholson wrote:

> H wrote:
>> I should have been clearer. If you read my previous message you will see
>> that I am not looking for what you are describing, rather the ability to
>> read/write document and presentation files in markdown format.
>
> This runs into the same problem -- a modern presentation program (such as LibreOffice's) is capable of recording many things in ODF files that can't be converted into markdown.
>
> The nature of your problem is that you seek to go from a very capable modern format (such as ODF) to a simple format which, by design, can "only addresses issues that can be conveyed in plain text" (per https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax).
>
>> The Multimarkdown editor supposedly can create OO files but since it does
>> not run on my systems I have not been able to give it a try.
>
> Going from markdown to ODF should be fine, going the other way is naturally going to be lossy.
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Virgil Arrington Virgil Arrington
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by H
I will confess my denseness, but I've read your explanation of what you
want several times, and I'm not sure I understand what you want. My
response below was to another user who was talking about using LyX. It
was not intended to address your original post as I don't understand
your desire.

What I *think* you're saying is that you want to write in Markdown, with
all the #Headings and *italics* code and then have LO automatically
convert that to its own formatted Headings and italics, etc. I don't
know of any converter (other than, perhaps, Pandoc) that can do that.

I have used a converter to go from ReStructuredText (a markup language
similar to Markdown) to .ODT, but it doesn't work very elegantly. One
reason is there are so many different way of formatting something in LO,
the converter doesn't know which way you might prefer. For example, LO
can format a heading directly or through paragraph styles with or
without automatic numbering. If you try to convert a Markdown #Heading
to LO, your converter won't know if you want direct formatting or
formatting with a paragraph style. My experience is that most converters
convert to direct formatting, which then means I have to go back and
change it all to styles, which sort of defeats the purpose of the
conversion.

You then mention wanting to create presentations from your Markdown.
There again I'm confused. Markdown's purpose is to be a front end to
HTML which is a continuous stream of content formatted for a web
browser. When I hear the word "presentation," I think in terms of LO
Impress or MS Powerpoint. Those formatted documents are *very* different
from what you get with HTML.

So, if you're trying to write in Markdown and end up with a document
that looks like a Powerpoint presentation, I think what you're asking
for is very ambitious, especially since Markdown wasn't intended for
that type of document. But, if you're using "presentation" in a
different sense, then I go back to my original comment, I don't
understand what you want.

Good luck with your efforts

Virgil


On 11/21/2016 10:29 AM, H wrote:

> Interesting but I want to emphasize that this is not a solution for
> what I seek to accomplish.
>
>
> On 11/21/2016 9:07 AM, Virgil Arrington wrote:
>> You can do much the same with LO itself.
>>
>> I've always loved the PDF output from LO's PDF converter. For some
>> reason I've never been able to figure out, its PDF output seems sharper
>> and crisper than the PDF output created by other programs, including
>> LaTeX or LyX. It may just be me.
>>
>> I've also been impressed with LO's HTML output. It has a couple
>> different options, either of which which will produce a fairly simple
>> HTML file which can easily be edited further with any text editor.
>>
>> And, where an OpenDocument file is needed, you have it without any need
>> for further conversion.
>>
>> I confess I'm fairly OCD when it comes to my endless search for the
>> perfect document creation tool (which of course doesn't exist). In the
>> FOSS world, I've tried everything from LO to LaTeX, LyX, Markdown, and
>> ReStructuredText, but I almost always come back to LO.
>>
>> I usually try one of the other alternatives when I need to do something
>> LO won't do only to learn later that LO would have done it quite well if
>> I had only taken the time to learn it.
>>
>> Virgil
>>
>>
>> On 11/20/2016 10:41 PM, gordon cooper wrote:
>>> To divert a little, but not talking about Markdown.
>>>
>>> We were looking for a simple way of of producing documents in html,
>>> thought we were on the right track until some of the potential users
>>> asked for pdf too.  We now use Lyx for the authoring, it produces
>>> formatted text, without formatting marks having to be typed in.
>>>
>>>  From the Lyx master, we output in pdf and html, with DVI and xhtml
>>> available as options.  Where Open Document format is needed, the html
>>> can be directly pasted in to .odt, but with one failing. A Table of
>>> Contents
>>> in Lyx loses the page links in the paste function . There is an easy
>>> work-around, just create a new ToC in Libre Office - about 4 clicks,
>>> and delete the original ToC.
>>>
>>> Gordon Cooper
>>>
>>> MX-Linux Documentation Team
>>> Tauranga N.Z.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
H H
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

In reply to this post by RGB-es
On 11/20/2016 03:13 PM, Ricardo wrote:

> El 2016-11-20 14:45, Virgil Arrington escribió:
>> <snip>
>>
>> Since Markdown is a pure text file with formatting marks inserted, you
>> could easily edit such a file with LO. It sounds like what you're asking
>> is a way to convert the Markdown file to a LO format. I'm not sure of a
>> direct way of doing that. You might try Pandoc, an online file converter.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Pandoc can be installed on any system, but only recent versions support ODT, so you need to look with version if offered by CentOS
>
> http://pandoc.org/
>
> Regards,
> Ricardo
>
I have installed pandoc and tried to converted two markdown documents to ODT opening them in LibreOffice  4.3.7 under CentOS 6.8.

It seems Pandoc modifies the LO styles, setting fonts to Arial, Times Roman etc. which are not available in LO. Pandoc also did not assign the default list style to lists, nor did it handle tables at all. Although tables are not part of the core markdown they are part of a common extension.

I would have preferred pandoc to use whatever the style settings are in LO, not trying to change anything.


--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Charles-H. Schulz Charles-H. Schulz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

Hello,

H. @ 2016-11-27 19:00 GMT:

> On 11/20/2016 03:13 PM, Ricardo wrote:
>> El 2016-11-20 14:45, Virgil Arrington escribió:
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> Since Markdown is a pure text file with formatting marks inserted, you
>>> could easily edit such a file with LO. It sounds like what you're asking
>>> is a way to convert the Markdown file to a LO format. I'm not sure of a
>>> direct way of doing that. You might try Pandoc, an online file converter.
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>
>> Pandoc can be installed on any system, but only recent versions support ODT, so you need to look with version if offered by CentOS
>>
>> http://pandoc.org/
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ricardo
>>
> I have installed pandoc and tried to converted two markdown documents to ODT opening them in LibreOffice  4.3.7 under CentOS 6.8.
>
> It seems Pandoc modifies the LO styles, setting fonts to Arial, Times Roman etc. which are not available in LO. Pandoc also did not assign the default list style to lists, nor did it handle tables at all. Although tables are not part of the core markdown they are part of a common extension.
>
> I would have preferred pandoc to use whatever the style settings are in LO,
> not trying to change anything.

Actually it does not work that way; pandoc cannot guess what styles are used
by LibreOffice. If you have written your two documents using markdown they
simply cannot use LibreOffice styles "in advance". I think that what's really
going on with Pandoc is that it has default settings for each type of export
filters. Arial and Times Roman are fairly common fonts and by default
LibreOffice can use them with no problem.

On the other hand, using Markdown in my experience does not really make me
expect to have nicely laid out documents (like with LibreOffice or LATEX for
instance). Markdown is fundamentally a web and transitional format, made to
process text on websites or online documentation. If you are looking for rich
and complex styles I suggest to stick to LibreOffice or other kinds of tools
such as LATEX.

Best,

--
Charles-H. Schulz Co-founder, The Document Foundation, Kurfürstendamm 188, 10707 Berlin Gemeinnützige rechtsfähige Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts Legal details: http://www.documentfoundation.org/imprint Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [hidden email]
Problems? http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
Next » 12