Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

12 « Prev
krackedpress krackedpress

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

On 11/27/2016 04:37 PM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> H. @ 2016-11-27 19:00 GMT:

>>> Pandoc can be installed on any system, but only recent versions support ODT, so you need to look with version if offered by CentOS
>>>
>>> http://pandoc.org/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ricardo
>>>
>> I have installed pandoc and tried to converted two markdown documents to ODT opening them in LibreOffice  4.3.7 under CentOS 6.8.
>>
>> It seems Pandoc modifies the LO styles, setting fonts to Arial, Times Roman etc. which are not available in LO. Pandoc also did not assign the default list style to lists, nor did it handle tables at all. Although tables are not part of the core markdown they are part of a common extension.
Does CentOS 6.8 have access to the "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" package?

This package includes Arial and Times New Roman and many of the core
fonts you get with a Windows install.  I use the DEB package, but
hopefully there is a RPM package as well.

On my main laptop, I have Arial in "normal" style, monospaced,
condensed, narrow, and rounded font sets.

Actually, I have over 180 fonts in my ".font"folder, and have over 14GB
of font files on my "file server".

>> I would have preferred pandoc to use whatever the style settings are in LO,
>> not trying to change anything.
> Actually it does not work that way; pandoc cannot guess what styles are used
> by LibreOffice. If you have written your two documents using markdown they
> simply cannot use LibreOffice styles "in advance". I think that what's really
> going on with Pandoc is that it has default settings for each type of export
> filters. Arial and Times Roman are fairly common fonts and by default
> LibreOffice can use them with no problem.
>
> On the other hand, using Markdown in my experience does not really make me
> expect to have nicely laid out documents (like with LibreOffice or LATEX for
> instance). Markdown is fundamentally a web and transitional format, made to
> process text on websites or online documentation. If you are looking for rich
> and complex styles I suggest to stick to LibreOffice or other kinds of tools
> such as LATEX.
>
> Best,

marcpare4 marcpare4

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

Hi Tim

Le 2016-11-27 à 18:02, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster a écrit :

> Does CentOS 6.8 have access to the "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" package?
>
> This package includes Arial and Times New Roman and many of the core
> fonts you get with a Windows install.  I use the DEB package, but
> hopefully there is a RPM package as well.
>
> On my main laptop, I have Arial in "normal" style, monospaced,
> condensed, narrow, and rounded font sets.
>
> Actually, I have over 180 fonts in my ".font"folder, and have over 14GB
> of font files on my "file server".

No need to add fonts, LibreOffice will substitute quite easily with the
Liberation family of fonts which are pretty well identical to Arial, the
same with Times font. No need to install any MS fonts if you don't need
to. The fonts shipped with LibreOffice are such that they will offer the
largest success with respect to interoperability with fonts.

Marc

--
Marc Paré
[hidden email]

H H

On 11/27/2016 10:37 PM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> H. @ 2016-11-27 19:00 GMT:

>>> Pandoc can be installed on any system, but only recent versions support ODT, so you need to look with version if offered by CentOS
>>>
>>> http://pandoc.org/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ricardo
>>>
>> I have installed pandoc and tried to converted two markdown documents to ODT opening them in LibreOffice  4.3.7 under CentOS 6.8.
>>
>> It seems Pandoc modifies the LO styles, setting fonts to Arial, Times Roman etc. which are not available in LO. Pandoc also did not assign the default list style to lists, nor did it handle tables at all. Although tables are not part of the core markdown they are part of a common extension.
>>
>> I would have preferred pandoc to use whatever the style settings are in LO,
>> not trying to change anything.
> Actually it does not work that way; pandoc cannot guess what styles are used
> by LibreOffice. If you have written your two documents using markdown they
> simply cannot use LibreOffice styles "in advance". I think that what's really
> going on with Pandoc is that it has default settings for each type of export
> filters. Arial and Times Roman are fairly common fonts and by default
> LibreOffice can use them with no problem.
>
> On the other hand, using Markdown in my experience does not really make me
> expect to have nicely laid out documents (like with LibreOffice or LATEX for
> instance). Markdown is fundamentally a web and transitional format, made to
> process text on websites or online documentation. If you are looking for rich
> and complex styles I suggest to stick to LibreOffice or other kinds of tools
> such as LATEX.
>
> Best,

My point exactly: pandoc knows that I am converting from markdown format to LO format. It should not define new fonts or font sizes for the various parts of the markdown document, only make anything tagged Header Level 1 in the markdown document become Header 1 in LO accepting whatever font, font size and other style information I have defined in LO. It should not convert Header Level 1 in markdown to Times, Arial or any other font at all, this has nothing to do with whether LO has compatible fonts or not.

I have never tried to use my markdown editor for defining "rich and complex styles" and I thought I had made that clear several times.

I think there are frequent misunderstandings on list why and how some users want to use a markdown editor to create document content leaving the formatting to LO, OO or whatever their word processor - or slide presentation package - is.

I would like to add that I have pandoc 1.9.4.1 on my computer running CentOS 6.8, apparently pandoc 1.10 has expanded support for markdown to also include tables and other features.

H H

On 11/28/2016 12:02 AM, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:

> On 11/27/2016 04:37 PM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> H. @ 2016-11-27 19:00 GMT:

>>> I have installed pandoc and tried to converted two markdown documents to ODT opening them in LibreOffice  4.3.7 under CentOS 6.8.
>>>
>>> It seems Pandoc modifies the LO styles, setting fonts to Arial, Times Roman etc. which are not available in LO. Pandoc also did not assign the default list style to lists, nor did it handle tables at all. Although tables are not part of the core markdown they are part of a common extension.
> Does CentOS 6.8 have access to the "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" package?
>
> This package includes Arial and Times New Roman and many of the core fonts you get with a Windows install.  I use the DEB package, but hopefully there is a RPM package as well.
>
> On my main laptop, I have Arial in "normal" style, monospaced, condensed, narrow, and rounded font sets.
>
> Actually, I have over 180 fonts in my ".font"folder, and have over 14GB of font files on my "file server".
>
>>> I would have preferred pandoc to use whatever the style settings are in LO,
>>> not trying to change anything.
>> Actually it does not work that way; pandoc cannot guess what styles are used
>> by LibreOffice. If you have written your two documents using markdown they
>> simply cannot use LibreOffice styles "in advance". I think that what's really
>> going on with Pandoc is that it has default settings for each type of export
>> filters. Arial and Times Roman are fairly common fonts and by default
>> LibreOffice can use them with no problem.
>>
>> On the other hand, using Markdown in my experience does not really make me
>> expect to have nicely laid out documents (like with LibreOffice or LATEX for
>> instance). Markdown is fundamentally a web and transitional format, made to
>> process text on websites or online documentation. If you are looking for rich
>> and complex styles I suggest to stick to LibreOffice or other kinds of tools
>> such as LATEX.
>>
>> Best,

Thank you for the information but irrelevant. Pandoc should not define any font information at all when exporting from markdown to LO.

H H

On 11/28/2016 03:11 AM, Marc Paré wrote:

> Hi Tim
>
> Le 2016-11-27 à 18:02, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster a écrit :
>
>> Does CentOS 6.8 have access to the "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" package?
>>
>> This package includes Arial and Times New Roman and many of the core
>> fonts you get with a Windows install.  I use the DEB package, but
>> hopefully there is a RPM package as well.
>>
>> On my main laptop, I have Arial in "normal" style, monospaced,
>> condensed, narrow, and rounded font sets.
>>
>> Actually, I have over 180 fonts in my ".font"folder, and have over 14GB
>> of font files on my "file server".
>>

> No need to add fonts, LibreOffice will substitute quite easily with the Liberation family of fonts which are pretty well identical to Arial, the same with Times font. No need to install any MS fonts if you don't need to. The fonts shipped with LibreOffice are such that they will offer the largest success with respect to interoperability with fonts.
>
> Marc

I know that but the point is that pandoc seems to have defined certain fonts for the various elements in a markdown document which it should not. It is irrelevant whether LO has substitutable fonts or not.

Joshua Kramer Joshua Kramer

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

There is a utility called MultiMarkdown that will write flat ODF files
readable by LO.

H H

On 11/28/2016 03:27 PM, Joshua Kramer wrote:

> There is a utility called MultiMarkdown that will write flat ODF files
> readable by LO.
>
> On Nov 28, 2016 8:34 AM, "H" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 11/28/2016 03:11 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tim
>>>
>>> Le 2016-11-27 à 18:02, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster a écrit :
>>>
>>> Does CentOS 6.8 have access to the "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" package?

>>> No need to add fonts, LibreOffice will substitute quite easily with the
>>> Liberation family of fonts which are pretty well identical to Arial, the
>>> same with Times font. No need to install any MS fonts if you don't need to.
>>> The fonts shipped with LibreOffice are such that they will offer the
>>> largest success with respect to interoperability with fonts.
>>>
>>> Marc
>>>

>>> I know that but the point is that pandoc seems to have defined certain
>> fonts for the various elements in a markdown document which it should not.
>> It is irrelevant whether LO has substitutable fonts or not.

>> deleted

MultiMarkdown has been suggested by its author Fletcher Penney and it does sound interesting. Unfortunately I could not get it to work on the only Windows system I have - running Vista - and I am not sure I could compile it for CentOS. Fletcher has not responded to the first issue.

Please do not send replies to me personally, this is a mailing-list discussion and I am - obviously - a member of the mailing list and the discussion is for the benefit of those members who have an interest in markdown and LO. Private replies are a waste of bandwidth and as welcome as spam.

Cley Faye Cley Faye

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

> MultiMarkdown has been suggested by its author Fletcher Penney and it does
> sound interesting. Unfortunately I could not get it to work on the only
> Windows system I have - running Vista - and I am not sure I could compile
> it for CentOS.

​I've started writing a markdown conversion tool for another purpose, but
it would be relatively trivial for me to output fodt; do you have a
reference to the markdown you use? As I understand it, there are a lot of
variation of it.

(sorry if it was said before in the thread, but it's been a lenghty one).

H H

On 11/28/2016 06:44 PM, Cley Faye wrote:

>> MultiMarkdown has been suggested by its author Fletcher Penney and it does
>> sound interesting. Unfortunately I could not get it to work on the only
>> Windows system I have - running Vista - and I am not sure I could compile
>> it for CentOS.
>

> ​I've started writing a markdown conversion tool for another purpose, but
> it would be relatively trivial for me to output fodt; do you have a
> reference to the markdown you use? As I understand it, there are a lot of
> variation of it.
>
> (sorry if it was said before in the thread, but it's been a lenghty one).

That would certainly be terrific! My understanding is also that markdown was invented by Gruber and that there are multiple extensions. I would propose Fletcher Penney's syntax summary for MultiMarkdown, see https://rawgit.com/fletcher/human-markdown-reference/master/index.html.

Let me restate that when converting to LO/OO format, the converter should not impose /any/ style information whatsoever, not use a particular font, a particular style etc. If I - in LO - have defined the font cvayfgappt23mpat at 12.74 points to be the font for Headings Level 2 that should be used and if I have font y0gagöaqgfy 37.902 points for body text that should be used, no assumptions about fonts, languages etc. My understanding is that a LO document always has certain styles defined, including Header 1, Header 2, Text Body, Table Header etc. and whatever I have defined those as in LO would be used by LO.

James E. Lang James E. Lang

Re: Transferring Markdown Documents to LibreOffice

As I understand it, H wants to convert markdown to odf AND BACK to markdown. Most of the messages in this thread are ignoring that last step.

--
Jim

H H

On 11/28/2016 09:26 PM, James E. Lang wrote:
> As I understand it, H wants to convert markdown to odf AND BACK to markdown. Most of the messages in this thread are ignoring that last step.

While it would be very nice to be able to revert to markdown, that may not be very workable...

On 11/27/2016 09:11 PM, Marc Paré wrote:

> Hi Tim
>
> Le 2016-11-27 à 18:02, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster a écrit :
>
>> Does CentOS 6.8 have access to the "ttf-mscorefonts-installer" package?
>>
>> This package includes Arial and Times New Roman and many of the core
>> fonts you get with a Windows install.  I use the DEB package, but
>> hopefully there is a RPM package as well.
>>
>> On my main laptop, I have Arial in "normal" style, monospaced,
>> condensed, narrow, and rounded font sets.
>>
>> Actually, I have over 180 fonts in my ".font"folder, and have over 14GB
>> of font files on my "file server".
>>

> No need to add fonts, LibreOffice will substitute quite easily with
> the Liberation family of fonts which are pretty well identical to
> Arial, the same with Times font. No need to install any MS fonts if
> you don't need to. The fonts shipped with LibreOffice are such that
> they will offer the largest success with respect to interoperability
> with fonts.
>
> Marc

Yes, I know that.

The question seemed to state that they wanted/needed Arial and Times New
Roman specifically.  So I made my comment about how to get it.

I do use a lot of "compatible" or "similar" fonts so I get what I
want/need without paying for the "name brand" font's price.  For
Liberation, I have the Mono, Serif, Sans Serif, and Sans Serif Narrow,
versions installed.  Sometimes I have both Narrow and Condensed versions
of fonts, when they seems to be different. Liberation only has Narrow,
but Arial seems to have both.

My only trouble for font selection is when I am dealing with a Windows
user that uses Word, not LO, who need the document[s] to have fonts
specific to their Windows system.  That was one reason I installed the
MS Core Fonts package.

H H

On November 28, 2016 4:10:02 PM EST, James E Lang <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'm sorry. I had not seen your capitulation on that subject.
>
>--
>Jim

Just did it... ;-)
12 « Prev