Translation of the names of the keys on Windows

Jesús Corrius Jesús Corrius

Translation of the names of the keys on Windows

Hi all,

Since today it's possible to provide custom translations of the names of the keys on Windows. This is useful because Windows gets the name of the key from the keyboard layout and, in some cases, they don't match properly.

For example, Catalan users don't have a proper keyboard layout (well, they do have one but it's just an alias for the Spanish keyboard) so if a user uses the Spanish or French keyboard, the name of the keys in the UI will be in Spanish or French, but never in Catalan. I am sure other languages have this problem too.

So it's now possible to provide custom names for keys for Windows using the same way we do for Linux. The file to modify is the following one and the process is exactly the same:

If you want to implement this, but you are not a developer, just send me the name of the keys with its translation and I will apply the changes myself.

Thanks and Happy 2013 to everybody!

--
Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]>

Tor Lillqvist-2 Tor Lillqvist-2

Re: Translation of the names of the keys on Windows

> So it's now possible to provide custom names for keys for Windows using the
> same way we do for Linux.

But what if the physical keyboards for the non-English language still
have the "Ctrl", "Home" etc texts untranslated? This is the case for
the Swedish/Finnish keyboard, for instance. (And I doubt anybody is
complaining...)

As I am certainly not a typical user myself, I have no idea if a
typical user here is more confused by seeing a shortcut key called
"Ohjaus+S" or "Ctrl+S". Hmm, at least in a Swedish XP virtual machine
(the only localised Windows I have), the shortcuts in for example
Notepad are shown like "Ctrl+S", so I guess for Swedish the convention
is to use the same text as on the physical keyboard.

Apple gets around the problem by using symbols for their shift, ctrl,
alt and cmd keys in shortcut descriptions in menus etc;) (See
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343 ) .

Do the Catalan keyboards have the "Ctrl" etc texts in Catalan? If not,
isn't it counter-productive to use a different text in shortcut names?
But I guess national pride goes before usability? (/me hides)

--tml
Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation of the names of the keys on Windows

is there an option to rename also the Alt, Ctrl, Tab and Esc keys in that file?

Thanks, m.

2013/1/8 Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> Since today it's possible to provide custom translations of the names of
> the keys on Windows. This is useful because Windows gets the name of the
> key from the keyboard layout and, in some cases, they don't match properly.
>
> For example, Catalan users don't have a proper keyboard layout (well, they
> do have one but it's just an alias for the Spanish keyboard) so if a user
> uses the Spanish or French keyboard, the name of the keys in the UI will be
> in Spanish or French, but never in Catalan. I am sure other languages have
> this problem too.
>
> So it's now possible to provide custom names for keys for Windows using the
> same way we do for Linux. The file to modify is the following one and the
> process is exactly the same:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/vcl/win/source/window/keynames.cxx
>
> If you want to implement this, but you are not a developer, just send me
> the name of the keys with its translation and I will apply the changes
> myself.
>
> Thanks and Happy 2013 to everybody!
>
> --
> Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]>

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation of the names of the keys on Windows

here is the Slovenian replacement table, please add it to the code:

static const struct KeysNameReplacement aImplReplacements_Slovenian[] =
{
 { KEY_ESC, "Ubežnica" },
 { KEY_BACK, "Vračalka" },
 { KEY_ENTER, "Vnašalka" },
 { KEY_SPACEBAR, "Preslednica" },
 { KEY_HOME, "Začetek" },
 { KEY_UP, "Navzgor" },
 { KEY_PAGEUP, "Prejšnja stran" },
 { KEY_LEFT, "Levo" },
 { KEY_RIGHT, "Desno" },
 { KEY_END, "Konec" },
 { KEY_DOWN, "Navzdol" },
 { KEY_PAGEDOWN, "Naslednja stran" },
 { KEY_INSERT, "Vrivalka" },
 { KEY_DELETE, "Brisalka" },
 { KEY_CONTROL, "Krmilka" },
 { KEY_SHIFT, "Dvigalka" },
 { KEY_ALT, "Izmenjalka" },
};

Please also add the following line to the aKeyboards[]:
{ "sl", aImplReplacements_Slovenian,
SAL_N_ELEMENTS(aImplReplacements_Slovenian) },

Please notify when this is in, so I can check that special characters look ok.

Adolfo Jayme Barrientos Adolfo Jayme Barrientos

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If you want to implement this, but you are not a developer, just send me
> the name of the keys with its translation and I will apply the changes
> myself.

Hi, I was wondering if you could add a Spanish translation:

static const struct KeysNameReplacement aImplReplacements_Spanish[] =
    {
        { KEY_BACK, "Retroceso" },
        { KEY_ENTER, "Intro" },
        { KEY_SPACEBAR, "Espacio" },
        { KEY_HOME, "Inicio" },
        { KEY_UP, "Arriba" },
        { KEY_PAGEUP, "Re Pág" },
        { KEY_LEFT, "Izquierda" },
        { KEY_RIGHT, "Derecha" },
        { KEY_END, "Fin" },
        { KEY_DOWN, "Abajo" },
        { KEY_PAGEDOWN, "Av Pág" },
        { KEY_INSERT, "Ins" },
        { KEY_DELETE, "Supr" },
        { KEY_SHIFT, "Mayús" },
    };

Thanks!
Xuacu Saturio Xuacu Saturio

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation of the names of the keys on Windows

Hi!

Based on spanish keyboard, I guess this is Asturian keyboard translation:

static const struct KeysNameReplacement aImplReplacements_Asturian[] =
    {
        { KEY_BACK, "Retrocesu" },
        { KEY_ENTER, "Intro" },
        { KEY_SPACEBAR, "Espaciu" },
        { KEY_HOME, "Aniciu" },
        { KEY_UP, "Arriba" },
        { KEY_PAGEUP, "Re Páx" },
        { KEY_LEFT, "Izquierda" },
        { KEY_RIGHT, "Drecha" },
        { KEY_END, "Fin" },
        { KEY_DOWN, "Abaxo" },
        { KEY_PAGEDOWN, "Av Páx" },
        { KEY_INSERT, "Ins" },
        { KEY_DELETE, "Supr" },
        { KEY_SHIFT, "Mayús" },
    };

Still, I don't know if this change is useful, since (unlike Linux)
Windows lacks a proper implementation of Asturian language. Any advice
is welcome.

Best regards
--
Xuacu

2013/1/10 Adolfo Jayme Barrientos <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If you want to implement this, but you are not a developer, just send me
>> the name of the keys with its translation and I will apply the changes
>> myself.
>
> Hi, I was wondering if you could add a Spanish translation:
>
> static const struct KeysNameReplacement aImplReplacements_Spanish[] =
>     {
>         { KEY_BACK, "Retroceso" },
>         { KEY_ENTER, "Intro" },
>         { KEY_SPACEBAR, "Espacio" },
>         { KEY_HOME, "Inicio" },
>         { KEY_UP, "Arriba" },
>         { KEY_PAGEUP, "Re Pág" },
>         { KEY_LEFT, "Izquierda" },
>         { KEY_RIGHT, "Derecha" },
>         { KEY_END, "Fin" },
>         { KEY_DOWN, "Abajo" },
>         { KEY_PAGEDOWN, "Av Pág" },
>         { KEY_INSERT, "Ins" },
>         { KEY_DELETE, "Supr" },
>         { KEY_SHIFT, "Mayús" },
>     };
>
> Thanks!
Xuacu Saturio Xuacu Saturio

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation of the names of the keys on Windows

Hi

Since we have Asturian keyboard available under Linux, LibO Help is
translated to match such translated keys, so no problem with that.

Hopefully, somewhere in the future Asturian kb will be available as
Unicode standard keyboard, which may ease i18n/l10n work. We are
working on that, and perhaps when CLDR is open again for new data
submissions we can include it.

Best regards
--
Xuacu

2013/1/12 Joan Montané <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>

> 2013/1/12 Xuacu <[hidden email]>
>>

>> Still, I don't know if this change is useful, since (unlike Linux)
>> Windows lacks a proper implementation of Asturian language. Any advice
>> is welcome.
>>

> It's a i18n/l10n issue. There are 3 approaches. The first one is to get the
> names of keys from OS. The second one is to localize the names of keys
> according to program (LibO) UI language. The last one is to keep the names
> of keys hardcoded in English.
>
> In Catalan case, there are several programs using the second approach
> (translating names of keys). For instance Firefox, Thunderbird and MS
> Office!!! follows this one. We only know 3 programs getting names of keys
> from keyboard OS: OOo, LibO 3.x and Foxit Reader.
>
> Also, keep in mind what translation has been done in LibO Help for your
> language. In Catalan case we translated strings of names of keys, of course.
> So, with Jesus's patch, al LibO is fine now, from our point of view, because
> now LibO UI & Help translations match :)
>
> Best regards,
> Joan Montané

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation of the names of the keys on Windows

so, did someone enter my code for Slovenian? Also, could someone reply
to my question regarding same thing on Windows?

Thanks, m.

2013/1/10 Martin Srebotnjak <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> here is the Slovenian replacement table, please add it to the code:
>
> static const struct KeysNameReplacement aImplReplacements_Slovenian[] =
> {
>  { KEY_ESC, "Ubežnica" },
>  { KEY_BACK, "Vračalka" },
>  { KEY_ENTER, "Vnašalka" },
>  { KEY_SPACEBAR, "Preslednica" },
>  { KEY_HOME, "Začetek" },
>  { KEY_UP, "Navzgor" },
>  { KEY_PAGEUP, "Prejšnja stran" },
>  { KEY_LEFT, "Levo" },
>  { KEY_RIGHT, "Desno" },
>  { KEY_END, "Konec" },
>  { KEY_DOWN, "Navzdol" },
>  { KEY_PAGEDOWN, "Naslednja stran" },
>  { KEY_INSERT, "Vrivalka" },
>  { KEY_DELETE, "Brisalka" },
>  { KEY_CONTROL, "Krmilka" },
>  { KEY_SHIFT, "Dvigalka" },
>  { KEY_ALT, "Izmenjalka" },
> };
>
> Please also add the following line to the aKeyboards[]:
> { "sl", aImplReplacements_Slovenian,
> SAL_N_ELEMENTS(aImplReplacements_Slovenian) },
>
> Please notify when this is in, so I can check that special characters look ok.
>
> Thanks, m.
>
> 2013/1/8 Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Since today it's possible to provide custom translations of the names of
>> the keys on Windows. This is useful because Windows gets the name of the
>> key from the keyboard layout and, in some cases, they don't match properly.
>>
>> For example, Catalan users don't have a proper keyboard layout (well, they
>> do have one but it's just an alias for the Spanish keyboard) so if a user
>> uses the Spanish or French keyboard, the name of the keys in the UI will be
>> in Spanish or French, but never in Catalan. I am sure other languages have
>> this problem too.
>>
>> So it's now possible to provide custom names for keys for Windows using the
>> same way we do for Linux. The file to modify is the following one and the
>> process is exactly the same:
>>
>> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/vcl/win/source/window/keynames.cxx
>>
>> If you want to implement this, but you are not a developer, just send me
>> the name of the keys with its translation and I will apply the changes
>> myself.
>>
>> Thanks and Happy 2013 to everybody!
>>
>> --
>> Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]>

Petr Mladek Petr Mladek

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation of the names of the keys on Windows

I have pushed the Asturian, Slovenian, and Spanish translations into
master, see
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=2f9cc7a486f89fe34e44f45399ddbeb240a3adb1

Also, I asked for review for the 4-0 branch via gerrit, see
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/1793/

Thanks a lot for contribution.

Best Regards,
Petr

Martin Srebotnjak píše v Čt 10. 01. 2013 v 14:06 +0100:

> Hi,
>
> here is the Slovenian replacement table, please add it to the code:
>
> static const struct KeysNameReplacement aImplReplacements_Slovenian[] =
> {
>  { KEY_ESC, "Ubežnica" },
>  { KEY_BACK, "Vračalka" },
>  { KEY_ENTER, "Vnašalka" },
>  { KEY_SPACEBAR, "Preslednica" },
>  { KEY_HOME, "Začetek" },
>  { KEY_UP, "Navzgor" },
>  { KEY_PAGEUP, "Prejšnja stran" },
>  { KEY_LEFT, "Levo" },
>  { KEY_RIGHT, "Desno" },
>  { KEY_END, "Konec" },
>  { KEY_DOWN, "Navzdol" },
>  { KEY_PAGEDOWN, "Naslednja stran" },
>  { KEY_INSERT, "Vrivalka" },
>  { KEY_DELETE, "Brisalka" },
>  { KEY_CONTROL, "Krmilka" },
>  { KEY_SHIFT, "Dvigalka" },
>  { KEY_ALT, "Izmenjalka" },
> };
>
> Please also add the following line to the aKeyboards[]:
> { "sl", aImplReplacements_Slovenian,
> SAL_N_ELEMENTS(aImplReplacements_Slovenian) },
>
> Please notify when this is in, so I can check that special characters look ok.
>
> Thanks, m.
>
> 2013/1/8 Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since today it's possible to provide custom translations of the names of
> > the keys on Windows. This is useful because Windows gets the name of the
> > key from the keyboard layout and, in some cases, they don't match properly.
> >
> > For example, Catalan users don't have a proper keyboard layout (well, they
> > do have one but it's just an alias for the Spanish keyboard) so if a user
> > uses the Spanish or French keyboard, the name of the keys in the UI will be
> > in Spanish or French, but never in Catalan. I am sure other languages have
> > this problem too.
> >
> > So it's now possible to provide custom names for keys for Windows using the
> > same way we do for Linux. The file to modify is the following one and the
> > process is exactly the same:
> >
> > http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/vcl/win/source/window/keynames.cxx
> >
> > If you want to implement this, but you are not a developer, just send me
> > the name of the keys with its translation and I will apply the changes
> > myself.
> >
> > Thanks and Happy 2013 to everybody!
> >
> > --
> > Jesús Corrius <[hidden email]>

Martin Srebotnjak Martin Srebotnjak

Re: [libreoffice-l10n] Translation of the names of the keys on Windows

Hello, thanks, Petr,

I hope this includes my code for Slovenian for Linux and Windows (the latter was in a separate reply to this thread).

Thanks,
m.

Hi,

Petr Mladek Petr Mladek

On Mon, 2013-01-21 at 17:15 +0100, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:
> Hello, thanks, Petr,
>
> I hope this includes my code for Slovenian for Linux and Windows (the
> latter was in a separate reply to this thread).

I committed the change only for Windows, see
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=2f9cc7a486f89fe34e44f45399ddbeb240a3adb1

I do not see your change for Linux. Could you please resend it or point
me to the mail?

Best Regards,
Petr